Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 70

Author Topic: The Lonely Prince: He Who Shall Serve  (Read 190990 times)

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Prince, Day One: A Prince walks into a bar. . .
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2013, 01:46:12 pm »

Ladies Solifuge and Webadict:

Why did neither of you bring any of this up when I answered the exact same question?  Is it because Lady NQT chose to include the key word "threatened" as well as keeping the order of his answer identical to the one in the pm?

I await your response to these questions, please do so at your earliest convenience.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2013, 03:04:54 pm »

VOTE COUNT

Okami no Rei
Leafsnail
Tiruin
Lenglon
Griffinpup - NotQuiteThere, Toaster
RangerCado - JimGroovester, Ottofar,
Griffionday - Solifuge, Webadict, Leafsnail
notquitethere - Okami no Rei, Griffionday, RangerCado
Solifuge
Jim Groovester
Ottofar
Toaster
Webadict

Not voting - Lenglon, Tiruin, griffinpup

MOD NOTE: Lenglon, NQT, ONR, Ottofar, and RangerCado all really need to post more.  I will be sending PMs out soon.

Day end is scheduled for Tuesday at 12:00 (-8 GMT).  Five requests for extension required.  Two more extensions available.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2013, 04:15:12 pm »

Why did neither of you bring any of this up when I answered the exact same question?  Is it because Lady NQT chose to include the key word "threatened" as well as keeping the order of his answer identical to the one in the pm?

I await your response to these questions, please do so at your earliest convenience.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to say. What is your point?

Moreover, am I to assume you have no response to my accusations, nor those of Lady Webadict then? No defense to offer? No additional reasoning for your weak, irrational, and singleminded attack on Lady Not-Quite-There? Or will you just attempt to shift discussion elsewhere once more?

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2013, 05:08:56 pm »

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to say. What is your point?

Moreover, am I to assume you have no response to my accusations, nor those of Lady Webadict then? No defense to offer?
My point to you with that question was merely to ask what made Lady Not-Quite-There's response to the question of what our win-conditions was so much more clear than mine.

You made two accusations towards me I believe?
The first is insisting on my suspicions despite having only flimsy evidence:  I'm pretty sure I've a much stronger case now, but I need her to respond before I can be sure.
The second is that I was being overly apologetic: I'm not quite sure what you're referring to with this statement, so I'm afraid I can't defend myself against it.  If you'd like to give me examples of what you're referring to I'd be perfectly happy to give you my reasoning behind what you're seeing as apologies.

As for Lady Webadict, I'm afraid I've no further response until she answers my question.  I find it incredibly odd that she would neglect to mention a "blatant rule violation", that happened over three days ago, until she can use the results of it to tear a related case to sheds.  As such I want to know why she's choosing now to mention this.

No additional reasoning for your weak, irrational, and singleminded attack on Lady Not-Quite-There? Or will you just attempt to shift discussion elsewhere once more?
Not right now no, I need to see Lady NQT before I can finish my case, and as we've 36 hours thanks to the extension I feel that I can wait rather than providing you with a half-baked case.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2013, 05:37:44 pm »

Griffionday:
You have absolutely no defense against Web's accusations until he answers your one question?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2013, 05:57:37 pm »

*sigh* I hate this. Sorry everyone but Replacement Request... I don't feel to cut out to play Mafia... and I'm getting distracted to easily. Sorry everyone, hope the game goes well.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 17, 2013, 07:35:13 pm »

Because I wasn't paying that much attention. Did you really need this answer, or am I missing something?

And yes. She has hers worded carefully. It was a stupid question to even ask. Literally, tell me what you could learn? Nothing. You only let other people believe she is town. Yours is worded poorly, so what am I supposed to glean from it? But, who cares? It's against the rules.

My point to you with that question was merely to ask what made Lady Not-Quite-There's response to the question of what our win-conditions was so much more clear than mine.

You made two accusations towards me I believe?
The first is insisting on my suspicions despite having only flimsy evidence:  I'm pretty sure I've a much stronger case now, but I need her to respond before I can be sure.
The second is that I was being overly apologetic: I'm not quite sure what you're referring to with this statement, so I'm afraid I can't defend myself against it.  If you'd like to give me examples of what you're referring to I'd be perfectly happy to give you my reasoning behind what you're seeing as apologies.

As for Lady Webadict, I'm afraid I've no further response until she answers my question.  I find it incredibly odd that she would neglect to mention a "blatant rule violation", that happened over three days ago, until she can use the results of it to tear a related case to sheds.  As such I want to know why she's choosing now to mention this.
You really don't have a good case, girl. I'm trying to help you out here. I'm not just telling you this just because. I'm telling you this so that your case can make as much sense to the rest of us as it does to you! Either make it stronger or find a better one. You're mistaken in assuming that being voted shouldn't make you try harder. It really should be a clue that your case is bad or that your actions are bad.

You can find it odd as you want, but this really is the first time I saw it. I know, it might seem odd that an experienced player like me doesn't really pay that much attention to things, but I actually wasn't all too invested in this game. Mostly because I'm used to players bringing me into the game by asking me a variety of questions, so if I've got nothing to talk about, I lose interest.

On the rule thing, if I had seen it earlier, I would've done something about it earlier. It's poor form to do these things. It's a form of meta-gaming that completely ruins the fun of the game. It's like that weird hashing thing someone came up with to role claim. It's just like... what's the point? If I post my role into the game, wow, how fun is that? We're not trying to find scum based on the mod's PMs. We're supposed to find it based on our perceptions, skills, and luck. That's the game. I just don't even know why you'd want to find scum that way. It's just so boring. But, this is just a rant, and it doesn't matter. The point is that I didn't notice it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 17, 2013, 07:46:50 pm »

Secondly: let me clarify exactly what I'm apologizing for in that second sentence.  I've no problem with any part of my case on NQT, what I'm apologizing about is the fact that there where days that it was all I was pursuing, which is slightly sloppy play.
Sure.  But the first sentence and the first half of the second sentence are passive aggressive - "I am sorry that you are wrong".  It's like you're trying to both stand your ground and concede that you were wrong at the same time.

For quite a while there it was "one more post, then I'll move on." then he made the comment that his wincon as town would be "interesting for some."  This is him flaunting the fact that he knows the words of the town wincon which would ONLY happen if they have no bearing on his true wincon.
I'm not sure I follow.  What do you mean by this?

I'll agree that his answer seems completely honest.  But couldn't his answer equally well describe a scum trying to vote?  He NEVER mentions that Ranger or Jim seemed scummy, just that they were "Strange", "Unjustifiable" and "Didn't seem quite right" all of which are precisely what scum are looking for when making their cases.  Why then did his honesty, that has absolutely nothing to do with townyness, sway you so?
Strange or unjustifiable things are worth voting for as town.  It's not conclusive, but generally a mafia member who's just voting whoever seems like the best target at the time (which was, to some degree, my original accusation) cannot come up with a clear explanation for their actions.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2013, 03:03:15 am »

Griffinpup:
Griffionday:
You have absolutely no defense against Web's accusations until he answers your one question?
No.  The viciousness in his post surprised me, and I needed him to clarify where he was coming from.  Considering the way he was leveling complaints against me that would have been equally valid against NQT from day one of the game and had been a topic of many of my posts to NQT (Webadict even quoted a sentence by NQT detailing why the question was useful) while at the same time not calling NQT out on any of the things he had an issue with, I had major suspicions of chainsawing.  His reply to my question somewhat assuaged my concerns on that front though.

Leafsnail:
Secondly: let me clarify exactly what I'm apologizing for in that second sentence.  I've no problem with any part of my case on NQT, what I'm apologizing about is the fact that there where days that it was all I was pursuing, which is slightly sloppy play.
Sure.  But the first sentence and the first half of the second sentence are passive aggressive - "I am sorry that you are wrong".  It's like you're trying to both stand your ground and concede that you were wrong at the same time.
Which is exactly what was trying to do.  I'm convinced that NQT is scum, and as such I've no reason to unvote him, on the other hand I was conceding the point that my play with regards to tunneling was wrong.

For quite a while there it was "one more post, then I'll move on." then he made the comment that his wincon as town would be "interesting for some."  This is him flaunting the fact that he knows the words of the town wincon which would ONLY happen if they have no bearing on his true wincon.
I'm not sure I follow.  What do you mean by this?
It relates to what he had said about the question:

If one is town, the question can be used to compare wincons, if one doesn't have key words (like mine didn't) then one can and should press further or at least be suspicious of a player.  During his post after I had replied with what my wincon was, his one question was: "Have you talked to everyone else yet?"  No pressure, no suspicion, just "get out of my face".

On the other hand if one is scum and has the town wincon, then the question has a second purpose when asked to noobs (such as myself), quite often a RVS question will be reversed at a player (like I did, twice actually) giving one an opportunity to provide the buzz-words that make one sound town.  This is what happened.

Webadict:
Because I wasn't paying that much attention. Did you really need this answer, or am I missing something?
You're not missing anything I did actually need that answer, as I mentioned to Griffinpup my reason for asking the question to you was because I was suspicious of chainsawing.

- Contradictions that didn't really happen or are stretched to the very point of breaking. Example:
-snip-
This is NOT a contradiction. It's also a blatant rules violation, but that doesn't matter right now (what is with everyone trying to cheat these days?) It can be assumed that scum contains the mafia and third parties. Town would have you not learn anything from such a question, but her example is, of course, Town.

The last sentence here confuses me. 

You are right; however, in that that contradiction was not the strongest.  However, what about her statement that her statement of the town wincon "For some indeed, asking my wincon may have been enlightening."  As far as I can tell this statement is either a direct contradiction with her original premise (that it's only interesting if the question happens to hit non town), or an accusation that my statement of the wincon was a guess.  As he did not in any way suggest the latter in either of his posts since I answered his question, I have to assume it's the first.

So, if we're going for the same tests of scummitude here, just quickly, you ACTIVELY AVOIDED A QUESTION. This, of course, proves you're scum, as it would be considered bad Townplay. Or, is it different if you purposefully miss a question versus accidentally miss a question? But, hey, is that poor play or just scumminess?
Do you seriously think I don't consider actively avoiding questions fairly blatantly scummy?  My entire point was that NQT didn't choose to press me on these points ever.  If as he said, I'm not pressuring him at all why would he choose to ignore this?  He's been claiming to "play better" but ignoring the scum-tells I've been dropping for him, refusing to engage with someone who has voted for him.  This crosses the line from "meh" town play (see all our lurkers) to activly bad town play. 

- You managed to somehow prove she was town through your own fault. Example: SHE HAS THE TOWN WINCON.
This is, by far, the worst mistake you could've made. I'm not even sure if you realize this. The people that are voting you have seen the wincon. They know it's their own. I know it's my own. We're confused as to what you don't see in it. The worst part is that she could've easily asked Vector, "What's the Town wincon?" and gotten it, but, either way, you fell straight into it. You NEVER ask a question like that, one, because it breaks the rules, and two, because if she's your target, you just made yourself look like a fool. NEVER ask a question that only Town should be able to answer and then continue pursuin the target, even if scum could answer the question.
I do realize it now actually. I got overly caught up in my "being clever" and leaving scum-tells that he should have seen to realize that before I pressed post.  Hence why I've not unvoted him; from my previous reads I had him painted as scum, but now I've given him an iron-clad alibi.  It's up to me to break the alibi, and not let him win on the strength of it alone.  Please at the very least tell me that your words of "even if scum could answer the question." mean that you're aware that his claim does not guarantee his being town.

Your best bet right now is to reexamine your case on NQT. Nothing in it strikes me as scummy. If I can attribute all of it to meh townplay, then it's a terrible case. And if you are still insisting your case when several people have pointed out that it's terrible, then you're going to look foolish when these people vote against you. There are a few reasons to stick to your guns, but there are just as many reasons to drop them, and this is one of the drop it cases.
I have, and I will again when he responds to my accusations.  Like I said, seeing as I was the person who gave him the opportunity to give himself a near perfect alibi, it's up to me to at the very least crack it.  Or else I could very well have cost you the game, couldn't I have?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 18, 2013, 05:11:31 am »

*sigh* I hate this. Sorry everyone but Replacement Request... I don't feel to cut out to play Mafia... and I'm getting distracted to easily. Sorry everyone, hope the game goes well.

If you did this in response to the pressure I was putting on you, well, I don't approve.

Handling difficult pressure is a part of the game, after all. Not a pleasant one by any means, but still an important one.

Forsooth milady nevermore yap yap I'm being proper

Could you spare me the in-character speak? It makes it difficult to figure out what point you're trying to make.

At present, I am beginning to suspect Lady Griffonday, for her brash insistence on her suspicions despite having only flimsy evidence, and her overly apologetic manner.

How does the post you linked relate to the point you're trying to make?

See my point about making it difficult to understand what the fudge you're getting at by using in-character speak.

Sorry about that.  I'm trying to make two points in the paragraph you quoted.  The first is that he chose to interact with me, and yet had dropped the topic as shown in my links.

How about, you give me a fucking quote, or even better, as many fucking quotes as it takes, because I still don't understand what the fuck point you're trying to make.

To start you asked the question, I responded in a fashion that I knew was not the one you intended (town baiting). In the same post I shoot the question back to you, you bring up the fact that it wasn't answered in the fashion you intended and reply using my read of your question.  I let the matter lie for a post, you do the same.  I bring up the fact that I didn't answer the question you intended, you rephrase your question to be non-ambiguous.

Of course it takes you responding to somebody else besides me before I finally get a foggy fucking clue about what you're getting at. No need to dig up the quotes now, I'm finally up to speed with the point you were making.

So if your accounting of the events is accurate, and I see no reason to dispute, I don't really see any fault with NQT at all. He pointed out you did not respond to his question as intended, like he should have, and then you decide to be cagey for no good reason and not answer him, like you should not have.

Why do you think he decided to not follow up with you, instead of him just forgetting about it?

Fun fact! Attempting to play better is not, in fact, a town tell.  Stop using it as a shield.

WHERE

And I don't want a goddamned link, I want a quote to a specific location.

"Have you talked to everyone else yet?"

YOU LINK TO THIS LIKE EVERYBODY KNOWS WHAT TO LOOK FOR

For me it was not I'm afraid; your answer tells me nothing.  The question itself is a disregard for the unspoken rule that mafia is a game that is based around feeling out the interactions with other players, rather than asking questions that require a key phrase from the role message we receive that scum would not have, such as the wording of the wincon.  It is also directly contradictory to the theme that the scum have all the knowledge while the town have the numbers.  Various mods take various routes to prevent this: some like Webadict have all their wincons listed, so that the phrase is standardized, others will send non-town aligned players the wording of the town wincon to prevent this from happening.  I don't know what our current mod does, but I doubt she would allow such shenanigans either.

So no, I'm not impressed that you are capable of recanting the ideas in the town wincon in the same order and emphasis that they are given in pm.  I'm merely disappointing that you chose to call this "paraphrasing" when its really just a butchered quote.

This is a very elaborate way to say absolutely nothing.

Filling space, brah. You're great at it. I wonder, is your RP worth reading or is it more useless space filling?

I just read it, nope. Thank you for wasting my time.

By the way, filling space is not a virtue, and I consider it a scummy quality.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 18, 2013, 06:33:30 am »

Lady Griffionday
Fun fact! Attempting to play better is not, in fact, a town tell.  Stop using it as a shield.
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that it was any kind of tell. Everyone, especially if they're under pressure, has an incentive to play better regardless of alignment.

If you didn't care about the question, yes.  I say that you didn't care because it didn't really seem to interest you, in fact you pretty much allowed me complete control over that question.

To start you asked the question, I responded in a fashion that I knew was not the one you intended (town baiting). In the same post I shoot the question back to you, you bring up the fact that it wasn't answered in the fashion you intended and reply using my read of your question.  I let the matter lie for a post, you do the same.  I bring up the fact that I didn't answer the question you intended, you rephrase your question to be non-ambiguous.

By this point you've let me have complete control over this line of inquiry, indicating that you really don't care about keeping me off balance to test me if I'm scum.  This indicates that either you've a complete read on me (which is idiotic at this stage of the game as others have pointed out) or that you in fact are not town.
Well it did interest me, hence why I got back to it later. But here I feel we're talking about talking about talking and the original issue and the motivations surrounding it have become somewhat obscured. What you seem to be saying here is that answering someone's enquiries (and it's not as if I haven't asked questions in return) is proof of scumhood. What you are doing here is starting with a prejudice which you then try to rationalise until it becomes a universal rule. Ask yourself, could a town player conceivably act in the way I have seen this princess act?

For me it was not I'm afraid; your answer tells me nothing.  The question itself is a disregard for the unspoken rule that mafia is a game that is based around feeling out the interactions with other players, rather than asking questions that require a key phrase from the role message we receive that scum would not have, such as the wording of the wincon.  It is also directly contradictory to the theme that the scum have all the knowledge while the town have the numbers.  Various mods take various routes to prevent this: some like Webadict have all their wincons listed, so that the phrase is standardized, others will send non-town aligned players the wording of the town wincon to prevent this from happening.  I don't know what our current mod does, but I doubt she would allow such shenanigans either.

So no, I'm not impressed that you are capable of recanting the ideas in the town wincon in the same order and emphasis that they are given in pm.  I'm merely disappointing that you chose to call this "paraphrasing" when its really just a butchered quote.
If this wasn't the answer you were expecting I'm not sure what else I can do for you. It appears as if you've decided that I'm scum and are getting annoyed when I don't self-incriminate enough. Since you've already prejudged my case, why not simply say so? You're not fooling anyone with this charade. Tell me, what answer would have satisfied you that I was town?

Also you've contradicted yourself yet again...
Firstly, please stop directly contradicting yourself in the same post, it's rather poor form.
Obviously, if the player isn't scum you won't draw anything of use out of someone.
-snip-
Neither: asking people's wincons sometimes brings surprising results. Currently, in the Witch game Tiruin spilled out that she was a third-party and wasn't actually directly interested in hunting that game's equivelant of scum.
Okay, in the first statement, I should have said 'not town' rather than 'scum'.
-snip-
For some indeed, asking my wincon may have been enlightening.
The first and last statements were made in a different context to one another. Pressuring a town player won't draw out any valid scum-tells (because, by definition, a scum-tell is only valid if it can only be drawn out of a scum player). Asking a wincon is different to pressuring, and as I've now come to see is against the spirit of the game and is not something I'll do in any future game. This said, asking a wincon can provide useful information (sometimes players use the opportunity to make a claim) regardless of alignment. You're supposed contradiction here rests on a conflation between 'scum-inditing-information' and 'useful-information', which are often but not always the same.

Princess Okami
Still waiting on that case, m'lady. I know you're stretched between lots of games, but three posts with actual content in a week isn't great.

Vektor— Do players up for replacement automatically unvote? Out of curiosity there anything we've gleaned about the Prince's family since we've been here?

Lenglon, Tiruin, griffinpup— the vote is the weapon of the true princess. It's the sharpened point to their pressuring blades. Not voting at all after a week belies a fear of drawing attention. It seems to suggest that you are not concerned with lynching as you have other powers at your disposal, or that a mislynch is gathering nicely without your intervention. Now I know Lady griffinpup has been away, but what's the excuse of the rest of you princesses?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

My goodness, Griffionday, you're not getting it.

NQT is not proven Town. That's not what everyone's saying. In fact, we know full well she's not even close to confirmed. It's merely a psychological thing. If she does anything scummy, we'll certainly do something about it.

I just... It's like you're digging your own grave. I'm trying to take away your shovel, and then you insist on using your bare hands.

Not only that, but the more you push it, the more Town you make NQT look. So, you're making your own job of trying to convince us even harder. Seriously, please just listen! What is it that you seem to think is suspicious? We do not see it. At all. Find something concrete.

Let me quickly just show you what's wrong with your last post.

Why would I chainsaw defend NQT? She's doing just fine by letting you talk.

Trying to drop scumtells to see if people will latch on is considered stupid play, especially since everyone else is latching on to those now, and you've got nothing to show for it.

NQT was referring to those being scum, since they wouldn't have her wincon, and therefore it's enlightening to those some.

Your not unvoting is not a testament to some sort of endurance mode where you HAVE to prove NQT as scum. You're not bringing anything new to the discussion, and the things you have already brought are being shot down left and right.

Seriously, girl. I just don't know why you're still going with this. I'm actually trying to help you, but you're not listening.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're starting to push it a little, Groovester.  This isn't an official warning, since you haven't reached that point--I just want you to know.

Yes, Cado unvoted, and you'll get info on the Prince's family with the votecount.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

(Will post soon. Tropical storm problems + university problems + being cold and wet everyday doesn't help)

Tiruin quietly sips a glass of orange juice while the debate goes on.

Preparing a long-winded and concise speech.

"...I see something strange back there."

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

Tropical storm problems + university problems + being cold and wet everyday doesn't help
♪ Every day I'm sufferin' ♪
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 70