Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 70

Author Topic: The Lonely Prince: He Who Shall Serve  (Read 191000 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Prince, Day One: A Prince walks into a bar. . .
« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2013, 11:33:48 pm »

Princess Wuba, putting it slightly differently, what is unique with replacements is that where you have a change of player you have the chance to untangle the player's perspective with the perspective of the role, if that makes sense. Obviously you can ask a regular player if they'll stand by their own dodgy case--that makes up a large part or scumhunting--but some people are just stubborn or lazy and stick doggedly to their first impressions regardless of their alignment: with replacements, a slot can change its mind without losing face, so it's useful to know if the replacement brings a change in perspective. Also, this kind of question is a good initial check to make sure the replacement understands the state of the game they've jumped into.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 18, 2013, 11:41:42 pm »

Good to hear. When you do post, a little word on what you thought of Ranger's play or cases would be good.
No comment. I seem to remember you asking questions like this every game I've replaced into (which you also played) and the answer has always been the same.

Griffionday: give me a short summary of your posts plz.
"...I see something strange back there."
What's strange back where?

Does anyone else have a flavor name? Is it a historic figure?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 19, 2013, 12:21:25 am »

Princess ZU
No comment. I seem to remember you asking questions like this every game I've replaced into (which you also played) and the answer has always been the same.
I tried to verify this claim and I noticed in Magic Mafia you replaced in for Deathsword and were asked (not by me this time) about your predecessor and you said it'd be WIFOM to comment (which is untrue: you could at the least say whether you agree/disagree).

You played town that game, so I'm willing to cut you a bit of meta-slack. However, you did also get yourself lynched as town by mostly town-players, so I can't say much for your track record of not appearing scummy. Your two word responses come across as lazy scum refusal to engage with the game, even when they're just lazy town refusal.

I'm going to assume that you have no comment because you haven't bothered to form an opinion on RC's play and all future cases from you will stem from that same place of ignorance. I remain, however, open to being surprised.

Give me a reason why it would be a good idea to tell you my name or history.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 19, 2013, 06:29:39 am »

I'm going to be out of town for 2 days. I might be able to post from my phone, but don't count on it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2013, 09:29:25 am »

Griffionday: I tend to agree with the other cases on you that say your case on NQT sucks, but this in particular jumped out at me:

So, if we're going for the same tests of scummitude here, just quickly, you ACTIVELY AVOIDED A QUESTION. This, of course, proves you're scum, as it would be considered bad Townplay. Or, is it different if you purposefully miss a question versus accidentally miss a question? But, hey, is that poor play or just scumminess?
Do you seriously think I don't consider actively avoiding questions fairly blatantly scummy?  My entire point was that NQT didn't choose to press me on these points ever.  If as he said, I'm not pressuring him at all why would he choose to ignore this?  He's been claiming to "play better" but ignoring the scum-tells I've been dropping for him, refusing to engage with someone who has voted for him.  This crosses the line from "meh" town play (see all our lurkers) to activly bad town play. 

Wait, what?

Are you saying you're dropping scum tells on purpose for him and you're expecting him to go after you on them, or he's not town?   Please tell me I'm misreading this, because as such it makes no damn sense.

Griffinpup:
I do realize it now actually. I got overly caught up in my "being clever" and leaving scum-tells that he should have seen to realize that before I pressed post.  Hence why I've not unvoted him; from my previous reads I had him painted as scum, but now I've given him an iron-clad alibi.  It's up to me to break the alibi, and not let him win on the strength of it alone.  Please at the very least tell me that your words of "even if scum could answer the question." mean that you're aware that his claim does not guarantee his being town.

Also here, and I don't know what you're saying about giving him an alibi then expecting to break it or not.  So... do you think he is town or not?

I agree with Jim that clarity is a good thing.

Griffinpup:
Griffinpup:
Otto:
Do you like goldfish? (lolololololol)

I almost let your rather late set of RVS questions slide until I hit this one.

1. Don't you think it is rather late for RVS?  2. Do you truly see nothing else in this game that is worthy of mention by you?
1.  Normally, yes.
2.  Not really.  Again, I haven't spent as much time in it as I should.  I probably need to do a reread.
3.  If you're voting me over that question, at least tell me that you got the joke.
You're not that good at coming up with unique questions, are you?

1.  And yet you do it anyway.
2.  You should.  In fact, by this point you've had plenty of time to do so.  What are your results?
3.  It was more of a vote to get your attention.  Since you've not really accused anyone of anything this entire game (this hardly counts), I must conclude that you don't care who gets lynched.  This is not a townie trait.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2013, 11:14:29 am »

Back from the weekend, starting to catch up.  I have to go to work in an hour, so I may not finish catching up until tonight when I'm off.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 19, 2013, 03:01:39 pm »

Request a Replacement, my courses are all messed up and I am apparently the only one who anyone can find to work the lights for the Junior's welcoming celebration thing on Friday, and I have a Theater act and a Book Convention show to do this month, in addition to starting French and switching from short to long Swedish. And having to plan another lights show. And doing the other courses. And doing whatever living alone requires, and socializing. And finding a job.

Ugh. I'm terribly, deeply sorry about this.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 19, 2013, 06:59:57 pm »

"...I see something strange back there."
What's strange back where?

Does anyone else have a flavor name? Is it a historic figure?
That's me foreshadowing my post! Yay!...Which will be posted later in the day because I have it in a USB, and I've misplaced it in school.

...Miss Zu: "I do have a name, of course. As for me saying if I'm a historic figure, I take that as an insult but discard it to semantics. I'm not yet dead to be a historic figure, though the thought is amusing, thank you very much.

"Care to explain that subtle flavorfishing, or in other words, that certain curiosity there?

"...And you don't address it with emphasis (bold)?"

Madam Lenglon
Given your last post [same problems like me? :P] I'll have to ask you something that I usually see the case is, in people doing RP.

Why do you RP so much, despite getting flak for it in, oh, just about every single game you've RP'd in?
Pup: because it's fun, also, it's an extra communication channel that allows more depth of emotion and reasoning than straight text alone, particularly when someone RPs back in response.

"How do you see scumhunting communication through that method? Emotional cues and tone differences sometimes make their appearance in a different way to people, and in the context of Mafia, it may also be easily misinterpreted.

"What do you think is the essence (why it is asked) behind people saying 'RP'ing can be used as a diversion'?"

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

Webadict
Like, "NQT knows the town wincon, which proves that he is a mafia member who knows the town wincon"
That's just a stupid argument on his part. He fell into that trap by himself. However, the point is that even scum can know the Town's wincon, so it proves nothing. As proof that I can easily obtain the wincon of Town:

Vector: What is the Town's wincon verbatim?
...Err, 'as proof'?
> Asks for obtaining...

That's not proof until evidence is given. I think I'm missing the context of all this and it stems from NQT anyway. Do you exactly know what the 'town wincon' is, by the way, Web?

Prince Vector: Is there a rule on wincon claims and such? Like those in other mafias? (I think what came to mind was GlyphGryph's last cybrid mafia? Or if not, then I guess in LNCP's ongoing WC mafia in a way of 'quoting the mod'...thing)

See-edit: I see where NQT poked that.

He paraphrased it. The question is continued here. And by that, (well, only judging from that, still re-reading here.) I'm really suspicious about that point you're poking at ma'am Web.

Why are you, and probably Miss Leafsnail debating on him being confirmed or not given that vague case?

Griffionday: Why ask that question anyway (@NQT--the thing I linked to; wincon)? What was your explanation afterwards talking about and what was it referring to?

(s)He directly answered the question, did (s)he not?

Dariush
Tropical storm problems + university problems + being cold and wet everyday doesn't help
♪ Every day I'm sufferin' ♪
Why aren't you playing. :I

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 19, 2013, 08:34:09 pm »

Prince Vector: Is there a rule on wincon claims and such? Like those in other mafias? (I think what came to mind was GlyphGryph's last cybrid mafia? Or if not, then I guess in LNCP's ongoing WC mafia in a way of 'quoting the mod'...thing)

It's frowned on, to be sure.

Vector: What is the Town's wincon verbatim?

Why, I couldn't tell you that!

Naw, just fooling: "You are town. You win when all threats to the Prince are gone."

WARNING WARNING: no other wincons are publicly available.

Out of curiosity there anything we've gleaned about the Prince's family since we've been here?

You are looking for the Prince in the early afternoon, wanting to put in a word about the dishes at the proposed evening banquet, when you hear him speaking quietly with his manservant from behind a slightly opened door.  Being an enterprising soul, you settle against the wall and listen.  From your vantage, all you can see is a candle illuminating a paper-strewn table, and a black-clad elbow beside it.

"Are you quite all right, my liege?"

"Nay, of course," says the Prince, shifting.  "Tis nothing."

". . . You need not marry, liege, if it does not please you."

"Of course I must.  My elder brother showed quite well the results of laying aside your obligations.  You know that better than I--you knew him better than I.  He is dead for it, and it is not the story of his rule that is told, but rather the story of his death.  As is told the death of my parents, of my uncle.  A tragedy, as they were lacking in sons.  It would not have been the same if they had had sons.  As it was their lines ended and mine was born in murder."

He pauses, lays his hand in the space clarified by candlelight.  It is all the whiter for his black sleeve, and trembles in minute fits against the tablewood.

"Stories, laid away like so much unpopular furniture.  A nice 'encryptsulation.'  Why should anyone care if my cold castle is bare?  Is it not enough to enjoy the attentions of a prince?"

"Lady Griffionday wanted to cheer you, Sigfred.  It is not like you to lord your noble personage above others."

"Ah yes, she wanted to lay out that 'stream-water' rug.  My br--the crown prince had it put away even before he departed and died.  He could not bear the sight of it, after--"

"I was here, Sigfred," Horatio says gently.

"And I know you have stayed here to warn me of their faults.  You are here, so you say, to tie history together.  But all you bear me is a deathly legend, wreathed in ghosts and horror stories!  A middenheap of lies that drips--that drips deadly poison in the shell of mine own ear!  Now tell me--won't you tell me this time, and tell me clear?  Why were my young brother and I abroad when Fortinbras arrived?"

You hear him make a faint noise.  A shadow blocks your view of the glistening tabletop.

"Not everything is planned, Sigfred.  No one intended it.  Peace. . ."

"But why--" he says through muffled sobs, "why, Horatio, when I was so far away then--why, then, am I only now here?"

You draw back, startled, as Horatio rises from where he is bent over the Prince's hunched shoulders.  Your eyes meet for a moment as he turns.

". . . H-Horatio. . . ?"

"A moment, Prince Sigred," he says over his shoulder.  You get the distinct impression that he does not want to watch you leave.  As you skulk away, troubled, you hear him close and bar the door.

VOTE COUNT

Okami no Rei
Leafsnail
Tiruin
Lenglon
Griffinpup - NotQuiteThere, Toaster
zombieurist - JimGroovester,
Griffionday - Solifuge, Webadict, Leafsnail
notquitethere - Okami no Rei, Griffionday
Solifuge
Jim Groovester
Ottofar
Toaster
Webadict

Not voting - Lenglon, Tiruin, griffinpup, zombie urist, Ottofar [needs replacement]

Day end is scheduled for Tuesday at 12:00 (-8 GMT), in ~18 hours.  Five requests for extension required.  Two more extensions available.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I did know the wincon, but I felt stating it was implicitly breaking the rules. That's why I asked Vector to post it.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

low on time
Extend
I haven't weighed in yet.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

extend

Tiruin I meant if your flavor name was based on a real person. Mine is.

NTQ I never said you should claim. Defensize much? Also the game I was thinking of was roguelike 6.

kinda wondered why no one bothered mentioning anything about names. though i guess my name (and person it was based on) kinda reflects my role.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Extend

Terribly, terribly sorry for not getting back to people, but I've had killer days back-to-back and need to go to work early in the morning.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

I am prepared to lynch her, but I am still giving her a chance. Is there anything wrong with that?

Yeah. Do you think he's scum?

Because when you say stuff like this here:

Because if she can actually make an efficient case, then even in death, she contributed something. And if she's scum, then she's doing a poor job of that too. The whole point is that she should do better, regardless of her alignment, she shouldn't continue doing things that make her look bad.

It makes me think you don't.

Besides the line where you cast your vote, you haven't given any indication that you actually suspect Griffionday in any way.

Need I explain the problems with this?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Princess ZU
NTQ I never said you should claim. Defensize much? Also the game I was thinking of was roguelike 6.

kinda wondered why no one bothered mentioning anything about names. though i guess my name (and person it was based on) kinda reflects my role.
I think I misinterpreted what you originally said. You were just asking whether people had a historical name, not what that name is, right? You didn't give any supporting reason why that information should be given, but understandably, you might just be curious. I would be if I had a historical name. In any case, I don't have a historical name. My name is my name.

(Also, it's not not there quite, you were not quite right in ordering the letters in not quite there.)

Vektor— thanks for the scene, the setting is great so far. Do we have any idea how long Horatio has been in the family's service?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 70