Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 70

Author Topic: The Lonely Prince: He Who Shall Serve  (Read 190997 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Prince, Day One: A Prince walks into a bar. . .
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2013, 02:37:11 pm »

Wuba:
Yeah, Toaster is definitely scum. I don't buy his faux aggression. But if you wait long enough, he'll turn on his buddy.

Hm?
I misread something where I assumed you had gotten angry, only to reread it later when I wasn't posting from my phone...

I don't even know.

On that side, though, what would you say if I didn't think anyone was significantly scummy?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2013, 02:37:48 pm »

I couldn't say anything bad because I'm in the same boat.

Pup's not contributing, at least.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2013, 02:58:32 pm »

I couldn't say anything bad because I'm in the same boat.

Pup's not contributing, at least.
Hmm... I guess I'm only slightly contributing more than he is. I don't even know, man. What's your take on that Jim character?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2013, 03:05:38 pm »

Hmmmm.  I don't see any inconsistencies in his Cado case, but Ranger's still somewhat raw and prone to error.  I'm not convinced by his case but can't really fault it.  Fairly neutral, I guess.

What about you on Leafsnail?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2013, 03:08:05 pm »

(Probably should have waited a second to post)

Solifuge:
On another note, Lady Ottofar... why are you so quiet? You were present only long enough to insult and accuse Lady Cado... you even ignored her reply! Concealing yourself behind the mien of an investigator, before skulking away... I must ask you to explain yourself.

I like how you accuse Ottofar of being quiet then contribute no content for three straight days.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2013, 03:12:05 pm »

This game's had quite the slow start.

Sure has.

I figure that's okay, though, as long as you guys don't get bored.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2013, 03:18:05 pm »

Unvote

Solifuge: I like how you accuse Ottofar of being quiet then contribute no content for three straight days.

((Ugh. Moving an hour away will do that, especially when the 6-8 people you were expecting to help you mysteriously vanish. Every night I sit down at a compy to do this, the game ends up Extended, which gives me an excuse to take care of stuff and put off reading and analyzing the last few pages. 80% moved now, though. Which is good.

P.S. I am now shipping Horatio the Butler and the Prince in my head. Princess Quest is totally just a coverup for their forbidden, cross-class romance.))

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2013, 03:51:00 pm »

Hmmmm.  I don't see any inconsistencies in his Cado case, but Ranger's still somewhat raw and prone to error.  I'm not convinced by his case but can't really fault it.  Fairly neutral, I guess.

What about you on Leafsnail?
The only thing I saw of Leafsnail was when he thought NQT's answers were fine until I pushed him on it. Other than that, I don't see much of him.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2013, 04:25:59 pm »

Woot!
Lurking all day! X_X
Sorry guys, but I've been super busy and every time that I have sat down to do mafia, I've gotten distracted by Cannon Brawl and Grobots.  As such, I've been neglecting mafia, and for that I apologize.

Toaster:
Griffinpup:  What is your goal in RVS?
To gain an understanding of the other players playing.
What do you understand about players so far?
Lenglon RP's in a method that's annoying to me and has too much free time.
You're not made of time.
That's about all I got.  Haven't spent enough time in this thread.
I guess I know more, but most of it is general ideas on how a player plays, and is hard for me to quantify.
Princess Griffinpup
The quality/quantity dichotomy is a bit misleading. The quantity of a post is one of its qualities. No one thinks that vast or frequent mostly-contentless posts are a good thing. 1. Do you think this question has got you any closer to finding scum? 2. Do you think random questions are appropriate near the end of Day 1 or was there nothing that has actually happened in the game to comment on?
1. Indirectly, yes.
2. Notice that that was my first post.  I was, and still kind of am, in RVS phase.  I had yet to interact with someone yet, and as such didn't have any real reads.  And nothing's actually happened in this to actually comment on.
Griffinpup:
Otto:
Do you like goldfish? (lolololololol)

I almost let your rather late set of RVS questions slide until I hit this one.

1. Don't you think it is rather late for RVS?  2. Do you truly see nothing else in this game that is worthy of mention by you?
1.  Normally, yes.
2.  Not really.  Again, I haven't spent as much time in it as I should.  I probably need to do a reread.
3.  If you're voting me over that question, at least tell me that you got the joke.
You're not that good at coming up with unique questions, are you?
griffinpup: "What's the purpose of that blank you put towards Ottofar? Asking if one likes goldfish is a serious question where I come from--you can derive one's personality from their appreciation of fish: colors, texture, shape..that."
The purpose of that blank that I put towards Otto was mostly a joke.  Where I come from, we have a children's book that stars a main character called Otto.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fish_out_of_Water_(book)  I thought it was a funny reference... 
NQT: What is the most reliable scumtell?
I missed this because you'd asked me two separate RVS questions at different points in the same post (your only post). I know that you were away for a bit and I'm willing to cut you a bit of slack, but this is ridiculous. The most reliable scumtell is when a player is completely unengaged with the game and is uninterested in scumhunting. Your going through the motions griffinpup, ghosting through. Now we've got an extension I want to see some sign that you've actually read the thread and are interested in rooting out the scum.
OK.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2013, 10:19:27 pm »

Man I would've posted earlier if I knew I was staying out this late.
Unless it's an open setup like a BM, who's to say there can't be two cops in a game, and one of them is an unaware miller?  Anyway, I see what you're getting at now.  From my scenario, town would prefer killing one of the two cops, since there's a 50/50 chance between hitting scum for a three-man LYLO, and hitting town for a scum win, as opposed to a 40/60 chance if they vote randomly.

However, from the perspective of a town player in such a situation (five-man LYLO with two claimed cops, Player A calling scum on Player B, Player B counter-claiming and calling scum on Player C), I could conceivably be convinced to lynch Player C, on the grounds that, iff my read of Player B was fairly solid Town, I'd assume that scum are sacrificing their least valuable player as the first cop claim, making Player C slightly more desirable as a lynch candidate.

So, normally I wouldn't, but I won't rule out the possibility entirely.
It's a pretty reasonable assumption that there aren't two cops in the same game, and that even if there were neither of them are unaware millers (for one thing unaware miller is a terrible role that nobody on Bay 12 tends to use, for another they wouldn't tend to be attached to a power role).  I don't know why you're defending this scenario, it makes no sense.

I'm sorry that that's all you think I've done.  It's not, of course, but I'll freely admit I've been tunneling a bit more than I should.  I am waiting for Tiruin to get back to me, so hopefully I'll have more than one person to talk too. (Link for easy refrence)  But you are right that I can't just ignore everyone else.

By this point in our discussion I believe NQT is not true town as for scummy
Uh... huh?  I don't understand your last sentence here, and you seem to make a weird switch from passive-aggressiveness to genuine apology halfway through your second sentence.  It strikes me as very insincere.

A question about your vote pattern as of late: if you see switching votes rapidly without backing them up as scummy, and now claim that placing a vote and focusing on the player until satisfied is likewise scummy, is it safe to assume you are merely trying to provoke a reaction with your current case?
Nope.  The vote on NQT was more because his thinking seemed contradictory and flip-floppy, this one is more because it seems like tunneling on someone you're not even all that convinced is scum.

Also did you mean to unvote me, or did you intend to just unvote NQT?  I'm assuming the latter, but I dislike making such assumptions.
I reordered my post, I meant to vote Griffionday.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 17, 2013, 01:09:14 am »

This game's had quite the slow start.

No kidding.

So what are you going to do about it?

Unvote

What's your basis for unvoting?

I notice you did so after Toaster pointed out your hypocritical vote on Ottofar.

Haven't spent enough time in this thread.

Have you read it all the way through?

If you have, what are your reads?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2013, 02:44:31 am »

Unvote

What's your basis for unvoting?

I notice you did so after Toaster pointed out your hypocritical vote on Ottofar.

That accusation was simply meant to encourage Lady Ottofar to speak up... not unlike the Lady Toaster's accusation toward me. Also, I would have rescinded my "suspicion" earlier, but I wasn't ready to speak yet. I needed a chance to think over things, before I had something to say. I admit, I do take my time about such things; I don't like being hasty when it comes to complex and delicate situations such as this.

Tiruin, Solifuge, webadict, the day ends tomorrow. How's your lists of suspects shaping up, and who's on it?

I don't have much of a list yet. I was beginning to suspect Lady Not-Quite-There (what a strange and beautiful name she has!) but her goals here are in line with my own.
At present, I am beginning to suspect Lady Griffonday, for her brash insistence on her suspicions despite having only flimsy evidence, and her overly apologetic manner. Almost as though trying to hide her mistakes by calling attention to them, and just moving on.

Pardon me, Lady Solifuge.  I seem to have missed your response in my previous readings.

-the most delicate of snips-

The actual question seems to have escaped you.  I ask not about one who is confirmed as a jester, but rather one who has claimed such, and when/why you would lynch them.  Assume, if you please, that lynching an actual jester will end the game, with only said jester winning, as per classic rules concerning the role.

Ah, I beg your pardon as well. I hadn't realized that you were suggesting that everything would end if such a person was removed. In that case, I can't see that removing such a person would ever be a good idea. However, someone claiming to be such a person would most certainly be trying to exploit circular logic as a last resort against growing suspicion against them. No one who truly wanted to be removed as such would claim so, or they would risk being believed, and never being removed! They would have to take a more subtle approach, I would think.

That said, what a terrible guest that would make for this gathering. Our Prince may, from time to time, be a... less-than-perfect judge of character, but inviting someone with no interest in him, and who also meant to bring this palace down around us as she left? I simply couldn't see that happening here.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2013, 03:26:50 am »

RP
Lady Griffionday quickly walked through the storehouse, eyes skimming quickly over the rich items inside.  She stopped at the rugs.  While care had been taken to avoid damaging the rugs, they were piled in a slightly disorderly heap, indicating the speed at which they had been moved in to this place.  Here she took her time, examining each from the corner she could see.  Stopping half-way down the stack she selected a heavy rug of fairly nondescript pattern, just a simple weave throughout what caught her eye was how the weave and combination of colours in the materials played with the light in the room.  The rug was a emerald green color under the light that came in from the windows, however the way the material in the shadows appeared to be coloured indicated that the rug would turn a deep sapphire blue when the sun set.

"Horatio, I believe this rug will look excellent in the white drawing room, please take it there when you have the chance.  I am sorry for selecting one so far down the pile, but it truly is a marvelous piece, don't you agree?  Thank you."

Leaving the task of moving the rug in the more than capable hands of the manservant (who had summoned a couple of the maids of the castle to move the rug), Lady Griffionday left the room to mingle again with her fellow potential brides.

Princess Jim:

Extend.

The "confusion" as you call it stems from the fact that I deliberately didn't follow up on your original question in this post to see if you were interested in the point or just trying to ghost your way through the first day.  You didn't follow up.  Not a flawless test of scumminess by any means, but I feel a fairly solid one on how interested you were in the question you posed me.  The fact that you didn't let it drop, but instead said "my bad, let me rephrase that" feels like a cover-up.

Wait.

What?

Trying to follow your links and your logic has left me legitimately confused about the point you're trying to make.
Sorry about that.  I'm trying to make two points in the paragraph you quoted.  The first is that he chose to interact with me, and yet had dropped the topic as shown in my links.

The second is that I see the fact that he picked back up the topic after being pressed on it as back-peddling to attempt to look like he cares about his read on me, covering up the fact that he dropped the line of inquiry on me.

Lady NQT:
Fun fact! Attempting to play better is not, in fact, a town tell.  Stop using it as a shield.

Lady Griffionday
The fact that you didn't let it drop, but instead said "my bad, let me rephrase that" feels like a cover-up.
Sorry, the fact that I admitted my wrongdoing and did what I should have done in the first place is a cover-up? What should I have done? Say, "Well there was a question I was going to ask you, but you know, never mind"?
If you didn't care about the question, yes.  I say that you didn't care because it didn't really seem to interest you, in fact you pretty much allowed me complete control over that question.

To start you asked the question, I responded in a fashion that I knew was not the one you intended (town baiting). In the same post I shoot the question back to you, you bring up the fact that it wasn't answered in the fashion you intended and reply using my read of your question.  I let the matter lie for a post, you do the same.  I bring up the fact that I didn't answer the question you intended, you rephrase your question to be non-ambiguous.

By this point you've let me have complete control over this line of inquiry, indicating that you really don't care about keeping me off balance to test me if I'm scum.  This indicates that either you've a complete read on me (which is idiotic at this stage of the game as others have pointed out) or that you in fact are not town.

An interesting supposition but it's plain to see why I would be focused on trying to play better. I make no secret of the fact that I always lose. Not 'often lose' or 'usually lose', but with mafia (ignoring one non-mafia Revolution game), I have a 100% lose record over about a dozen games. Understandably, I'm interested in playing better.
Stop trying to ambiguously "play better" then, and figure out how to press people and get legitimate reads from them.  Posting more, and talking to more people, are not the same as

Let's test this theory: What is your win condition?
I'll have to paraphrase it: I'm a townie and I win when the prince is threatened no longer. For some indeed, asking my wincon may have been enlightening.
For me it was not I'm afraid; your answer tells me nothing.  The question itself is a disregard for the unspoken rule that mafia is a game that is based around feeling out the interactions with other players, rather than asking questions that require a key phrase from the role message we receive that scum would not have, such as the wording of the wincon.  It is also directly contradictory to the theme that the scum have all the knowledge while the town have the numbers.  Various mods take various routes to prevent this: some like Webadict have all their wincons listed, so that the phrase is standardized, others will send non-town aligned players the wording of the town wincon to prevent this from happening.  I don't know what our current mod does, but I doubt she would allow such shenanigans either.

So no, I'm not impressed that you are capable of recanting the ideas in the town wincon in the same order and emphasis that they are given in pm.  I'm merely disappointing that you chose to call this "paraphrasing" when its really just a butchered quote.

Also you've contradicted yourself yet again...
Firstly, please stop directly contradicting yourself in the same post, it's rather poor form.
Obviously, if the player isn't scum you won't draw anything of use out of someone.
-snip-
Neither: asking people's wincons sometimes brings surprising results. Currently, in the Witch game Tiruin spilled out that she was a third-party and wasn't actually directly interested in hunting that game's equivelant of scum.
Okay, in the first statement, I should have said 'not town' rather than 'scum'.
-snip-
For some indeed, asking my wincon may have been enlightening.

Lady Leafsnail:
I'm sorry that that's all you think I've done.  It's not, of course, but I'll freely admit I've been tunneling a bit more than I should.  I am waiting for Tiruin to get back to me, so hopefully I'll have more than one person to talk too. (Link for easy refrence)  But you are right that I can't just ignore everyone else.

By this point in our discussion I believe NQT is not true town as for scummy
Uh... huh?  I don't understand your last sentence here, and you seem to make a weird switch from passive-aggressiveness to genuine apology halfway through your second sentence.  It strikes me as very insincere.
Firstly: I hope this clarifies the last sentence:
EBWOP:

Sorry,
By this point in our discussion I believe NQT is not true town as for scummy .
Should have been
By this point in our discussion I believe NQT is not true town; as for scummy... yeah, I'm willing to call him that.
Secondly: let me clarify exactly what I'm apologizing for in that second sentence.  I've no problem with any part of my case on NQT, what I'm apologizing about is the fact that there where days that it was all I was pursuing, which is slightly sloppy play.

A question about your vote pattern as of late: if you see switching votes rapidly without backing them up as scummy, and now claim that placing a vote and focusing on the player until satisfied is likewise scummy, is it safe to assume you are merely trying to provoke a reaction with your current case?
Nope.  The vote on NQT was more because his thinking seemed contradictory and flip-floppy, this one is more because it seems like tunneling on someone you're not even all that convinced is scum.
For quite a while there it was "one more post, then I'll move on." then he made the comment that his wincon as town would be "interesting for some."  This is him flaunting the fact that he knows the words of the town wincon which would ONLY happen if they have no bearing on his true wincon.

I do actually have a question about your unvote of NQT:
It's a fair position, but you'll also see that I'll move my votes around a lot as town early day 1 (see the latest BM where as the cop I voted nearly half the other players on day 1). I like to try to interact with as many players as possible to get the broadest possible read until someone particularly scummy comes out. My focus though has been a bit off so I'll readily admit that I haven't been as effective yet as I ought to be. To explain my recent behaviour: I genuinely thought that Cado's reaction was  a strange reaction to what I took to just be a dumb RVS vote, but then Jim explained how he was serious which I thought completely unjusifiable, but then I had another look at Cado's initial response and the concern with being tracked didn't seem quite right so I turned back to Cado. I have admittedly been a bit too free with throwing around the vote, but at the same time, I do think it adds a necessary degree of pressure to the questioning.

To summarise: I don't emphatically support Jim's case, but I do believe in using my vote to get answers and changing my mind when new evidence comes to light. This might make me look inconstant, but I think this is better than maintaining an unsupportable vote (which I have seen stubborn town players do in the past).
I think you're wrong about pressure in voting (a vote thrown around wildly is a vote that carries no real weight) and indeed some other things, but this answer does somehow seem honest.  Unvote.
I'll agree that his answer seems completely honest.  But couldn't his answer equally well describe a scum trying to vote?  He NEVER mentions that Ranger or Jim seemed scummy, just that they were "Strange", "Unjustifiable" and "Didn't seem quite right" all of which are precisely what scum are looking for when making their cases.  Why then did his honesty, that has absolutely nothing to do with townyness, sway you so?

Lady Solifuge:
At present, I am beginning to suspect Lady Griffonday, for her brash insistence on her suspicions despite having only flimsy evidence, and her overly apologetic manner. Almost as though trying to hide her mistakes by calling attention to them, and just moving on.
Are there particular mistakes you'd like me to go over in more detail?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 17, 2013, 06:58:23 am »

How about that NQT is Town? Can you go over that fact? Because that's a good one to go over.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2013, 07:48:04 am »

Griffionday, your case is pretty bad. I don't even know what you're doing, but it's not showing anyone that NQT is guilty. If anything, your insistence that she is guilty seems to point instead to your own guilt.

I'm in the same boat as Solifuge here. Your points are really only showing that NQT is new Town. Her being voted and telling you that she'll attempt to play better is NOT a scum move. That's, at best, a null move. You don't even seem convinced she's scum in the least. Even just touches small parts, here's some issues:

- Contradictions that didn't really happen or are stretched to the very point of breaking. Example:
Lady NQT:
Firstly, please stop directly contradicting yourself in the same post, it's rather poor form.
Obviously, if the player isn't scum you won't draw anything of use out of someone.
-snip-
Neither: asking people's wincons sometimes brings surprising results. Currently, in the Witch game Tiruin spilled out that she was a third-party and wasn't actually directly interested in hunting that game's equivelant of scum.
This is NOT a contradiction. It's also a blatant rules violation, but that doesn't matter right now (what is with everyone trying to cheat these days?) It can be assumed that scum contains the mafia and third parties. Town would have you not learn anything from such a question, but her example is, of course, Town.
 - Mediocre, at worst, Townplay = Scumplay no matter what has happened. Example:
Get back to you in what fashion?  If you meant for me to try again to answer your question again why did you not bring this up when you next talked to me here?  Possibly you should have pursued that inquiry at all.
I'm not sure where your misunderstanding here lies. I asked you an ambiguous question, you answered the question one way, I implied you'd not answered the way I'd intended you to answer, you asked me why I didn't ask me the question again, then I asked the question again freely admitting that I should have reasked it sooner. I didn't reask it sooner because my focus on the game was not sufficiently strong. This isn't a scum-tell, it's just me being distracted. Now I'm more on the ball, I'm determined not to let things get to Great Temple levels where I was town but utterly ineffectual.
Poor town play is not a scum tell.  Got it.

The "confusion" as you call it stems from the fact that I deliberately didn't follow up on your original question in this post to see if you were interested in the point or just trying to ghost your way through the first day.  You didn't follow up.  Not a flawless test of scumminess by any means, but I feel a fairly solid one on how interested you were in the question you posed me.  The fact that you didn't let it drop, but instead said "my bad, let me rephrase that" feels like a cover-up. 

On that note why are you so focused on playing better now?  If you're not feeling pressure from me why does my vote and discussion seem to have kicked you back into playing better?  Or are you merely trying to take advantage of the fact that Bay12 Mafia seems to primarily vote for whoever is playing the worst the first day, rather than who's been the scummiest?
So, if we're going for the same tests of scummitude here, just quickly, you ACTIVELY AVOIDED A QUESTION. This, of course, proves you're scum, as it would be considered bad Townplay. Or, is it different if you purposefully miss a question versus accidentally miss a question? But, hey, is that poor play or just scumminess?

Let me tell you something about that second part, while I'm here. You see, nobody WANTS to be voted. That's why you usually play as much as you do. If you didn't play, you'd be lynched. So, you have to play a certain amount to avoid that. Now, if you're playing that much, and people STILL vote you, then you're playing to remove those votes. You have to play better than what you were playing before, because it clearly wasn't good enough. People found something you were doing to be bad, so you either improve yourself or you find a better case. Both of these show that NQT is correct in improving her play. I can attest to having to play better or get lynched multiple times. This is a terrible point to make, and please remember that for the next time you play, because you have a fairly solid 98+% chance of being lynched.

- You managed to somehow prove she was town through your own fault. Example: SHE HAS THE TOWN WINCON.
This is, by far, the worst mistake you could've made. I'm not even sure if you realize this. The people that are voting you have seen the wincon. They know it's their own. I know it's my own. We're confused as to what you don't see in it. The worst part is that she could've easily asked Vector, "What's the Town wincon?" and gotten it, but, either way, you fell straight into it. You NEVER ask a question like that, one, because it breaks the rules, and two, because if she's your target, you just made yourself look like a fool. NEVER ask a question that only Town should be able to answer and then continue pursuin the target, even if scum could answer the question.

Your best bet right now is to reexamine your case on NQT. Nothing in it strikes me as scummy. If I can attribute all of it to meh townplay, then it's a terrible case. And if you are still insisting your case when several people have pointed out that it's terrible, then you're going to look foolish when these people vote against you. There are a few reasons to stick to your guns, but there are just as many reasons to drop them, and this is one of the drop it cases.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 70