Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 70

Author Topic: The Lonely Prince: He Who Shall Serve  (Read 190945 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Prince, Day One: A Prince walks into a bar. . .
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2013, 06:53:01 pm »

"Oh come now. Don't get your panties in a bunch just because I have a different accent than you. I've been taking care to speak clearly and I'm hardly the only person here with one. Aren't you being oversensitive?"

ROLEPLAY
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

I hope you haven't made any good points because my patience for reading through your posts has dropped from 'Ugh no' levels, past 'Hell no' levels, to nearly 'Oh hell no' levels.
Jim: you are overreacting. read the bottom sections of my posts whenever you can't handle the detailed purple version.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2013, 07:09:07 pm »

Okami: ...Now thats just playing with my Emotions right there. :P Anyway, I think I would rather have a two-shot day kill than be a vigilante. I've never been too good at the night game and abilities that can be used during the day are quite useful, especially if your on the chopping block and you want to kill your top scum picks. Day- kills are also harder to track if you mis-judge your target. To put it short, I trust my Day game more than my night game, and I find a two-shot daykill more useful because of it being a day-kill.
What if it was a one-shot daykill?  Would that change your decision?

Jim: ...That was thoroughly taken out of context. Regardless, I see where your coming from. But lets look at it like this, if you get tracked by a townie killing someone, their are going to try and get you lynched. If your a townie when this happens, the town wastes a lynch on you, and Mafia get even closer to their goal than they already were when you mis-killed someone in the first place.
Why should you be afraid of someone tracking you?  Are you saying that you'd use a kill on someone even if you weren't confident that you could justify the kill to the rest of the town?  Why do you think using a kill on a hunch, rather than waiting until you have a reasonable amount of evidence, is beneficial Town play?
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2013, 07:14:00 pm »

Jim: ...That was thoroughly taken out of context. Regardless, I see where your coming from. But lets look at it like this, if you get tracked by a townie killing someone, their are going to try and get you lynched. If your a townie when this happens, the town wastes a lynch on you, and Mafia get even closer to their goal than they already were when you mis-killed someone in the first place.

No, what happens is that the town player who tracked you claims he saw you go to X player's house when X player died during the night. Then you claim that yes, that happened, because you're a vigilante. Then you state your reasons for your kills and everybody has a big discussion about how much they believe you. It is not an automatic lynch since vigilantes are potent town resources.

Your answers to various RVS questions posed to you indicate you're overly interested in how a role will bite you in the ass, and in some instances more interested in that than the sorts of opportunities the role affords you.

Getting caught, it seems, is a point of worry for you. I wonder why?

I also find it strange that your vote goes to me without any questions or further evidence. What else have I done that you find scummy?

Gotta start somewhere.

Jim: you are overreacting. read the bottom sections of my posts whenever you can't handle the detailed purple version.

I would if it contained as much detail and context as the purple RP text.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2013, 08:39:21 pm »

Wuba:
Webadict:  Since you're so interested in dress color, what would you do if someone proposed a dress color claim?
Such an odd question...

Why ask it?

Why ask it?  Here's why:

Webadict:  Since you're so interested in dress color, what would you do if someone proposed a dress color claim?
I would laugh as everyone claims white. Simple as that.

Obviously you think there is a correlation between dress color and alignment, so it's a totally fair question to ask.  You reinforce your viewpoint afterward:

What is everyone wearing? Especially Toaster. And me.
Are these seven among us now or did they leave? Basically, was it initially 13 or 20?

So what lead you to that conclusion?

Ranger:
Ranger:
You are a cop and confirmed a townie Night 1.
This is not confirmation, given that things like godfathers and non-sane cops exist.  "Confirmed" is a strong word in the Mafia context, and shouldn't be used lightly.
Fair enough, though it was easier in the context of the question to say it was confirmed.

Eh.  You could just say "got a town inspect on the player."   But whatever.

Jim:

I would if it contained as much detail and context as the purple RP text.

Oh really?

ROLEPLAY

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

I hope you haven't made any good points because my patience for reading through your posts has dropped from 'Ugh no' levels, past 'Hell no' levels, to nearly 'Oh hell no' levels.

How do you know if you didn't read it?

Spoiler: OOC to Jim (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2013, 08:56:20 pm »

Any questions you want answered before the next VC writeup?

Obviously, if you don't have any, then you don't have any.  But the best time for me to do it is when I'm already in front of the computer thinking about this thread.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2013, 09:00:11 pm »

How do you know if you didn't read it?

I did read it, because the RP-less summary didn't contain enough information to get a good sense of what Lenglon was saying, who she was responding to, what about, and so on.

And then I complained very vocally about how much I didn't like reading it. Maybe even added in a little hyperbole. A colorful description here and there.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2013, 09:01:04 pm »

Wuba:
Such an odd question...

Why ask it?

Why ask it?  Here's why:

I would laugh as everyone claims white. Simple as that.

Obviously you think there is a correlation between dress color and alignment, so it's a totally fair question to ask.  You reinforce your viewpoint afterward:

What is everyone wearing? Especially Toaster. And me.
Are these seven among us now or did they leave? Basically, was it initially 13 or 20?

So what lead you to that conclusion?
I actually only asked it because I didn't know if it mattered. I wanted to know if we were wearing different types of dresses or something. Because honestly, I wasn't sure what I was wearing, and it made me a little uncomfortable.

But, here's some questions:

What is the Prince's name? What is he wearing? Does this game go until we've figured out who marries him?

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2013, 12:28:34 am »

Lady NQT:

Lady Griffionday
-snip-
No offense or neglect intended. A genuine oversight swiftly rectified. (I'm at work reading mafia through a much-reduced window, so it's possible but uncommon for things to be missed).

To answer: my aim in the sense in which you took my question is the same as always: to improve and to win. And I will always try to win. What will you do to move towards preventing yourself from being misled?

Thank you for answering my question.  That's the catch isn't it.  I shall start by assuming everyone is a suspicious party until I've locked horns with them a few times.

As for the neglect, if you had merely asked me a question I could understand just moving on after missing my answer; I possibly could understand just glossing over my answer as you were on a small screen if that was the case (your answer was unclear as to what was missed).  That's not the complete case though, you voted for me.  I was under the impression that the "random" part of "random voting phase" was about who you focused on and started your pressure on, rather than just randomly throwing your vote around to seem to be doing stuff while you wait for a clock to tick down to day two.  Why did you not care where your vote was and move on to a decidedly unpointed question to Lady Ottofar?

Lady Tiruin:
Griffy (I can still call you Griffy right? Or do you prefer another nickname for this game?)
Of course you may, I much prefer "Griffy" to "Day" as it doesn't get confusing when people say things like "Did you want the Day to end early." (Quote from BM, it took me a couple times).

Lady Tiruin:
-snip-
Do you know something we don't, dear?  Why would some harpy who is merely after his money kill him before the ceremony?
You missed part of the context added:
If not: Jim. Because he has a systematic form of how he follows and creates cases, aims for long term goals, and is especially snarky in a likeable way.
I added in Vector because the questions asked to me were general (and Vector is really my choice despite the category being 'player'). No, I've no idea if Vector herself is playing the game, but I'm just adding that in (note the substituting other person in my answers) because..well, because I really like Vector's playstyle and her writing style.

So yeah. I guess my opinion on Vector is something I know that you don't, but now you know it.
While that is a fair answer; I've loved the tale she is spinning so far, I must ask why you considered this a proper/useful answer to Ranger's original question?

And my query:

Lady Griffionday
*Lady Griffionday softly clicks her tongue*
My dearest Lady NQT
NQT:
Princess Griffionday I'll be blunt: what is your aim in this game?
To not be bloody lead around by my nose like an idiot like I have been in all my previous games.  What about yourself?
I asked you a most simple question, and yet you neglected to provide an answer.  Perchance you never really cared about your original question, that you did not pursue the answer with any scrutiny?
No offense or neglect intended. A genuine oversight swiftly rectified. (I'm at work reading mafia through a much-reduced window, so it's possible but uncommon for things to be missed).

To answer: my aim in the sense in which you took my question is the same as always: to improve and to win. And I will always try to win. What will you do to move towards preventing yourself from being misled?
of all the people present, Why Lady Na'Quithere, and the bluntness?
I'm voting for Lady NQT to emphasize my point that her vote swapping without really paying attention to where her vote was isn't acceptable even during RVS.  The bluntness was originally due to a lack of time for posting a full response, the second time I felt something was off.

Lady Jim:
Forsooth milady nevermore yap yap I'm being proper
Making yourself easy to understand is a virtue, you know. I just barely understood what you were trying to say in this post.  It would be nice if you talked in typical mafia game terms instead of RP terms so I don't have to waste time interpreting your properesque speak.
Sorry for causing you trouble.  I'm glad you understood though!  That is a major improvement over the opening of ToonMafia for me, so I'm counting this as a victory.  I'll try to reign it in a bit though.

Oh, and hey, you know how Vector says mafia hide behind RP to fill space or avoid scumhunting or other scummy things, right? What do you think of that?
Firstly I don't think she meant to imply that scumhunting was scummy. 

That being said, I don't think this is a tell that I can safely use to gauge scummieness in this game, considering the slew of games that have had RP elements in them so the "typical mafia game terms" are relatively untaught.  You will note that the confusing RP is mostly by the newer players who are likely to have been effected by this.  If you consider this to be an useful tell despite this can you please explain why?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2013, 01:47:48 am »

Princesses Wuba and Griffion
No, I mean why did you unvote your previous target, but is there something about Ottofar that means you shouldn't vote him?
That's not the complete case though, you voted for me. I was under the impression that the "random" part of "random voting phase" was about who you focused on and started your pressure on, rather than just randomly throwing your vote around to seem to be doing stuff while you wait for a clock to tick down to day two. Why did you not care where your vote was and move on to a decidedly unpointed question to Lady Ottofar?
Hah, it's fair to say I actually get a bit too enthusiastic with throwing around the red vote. I never explicitly unvoted, it's more that I also put a red vote on Ottofar and by the rules of the game that counted as unvoting Griffionday. As I'll admit and as Ottofar says below, this probably isn't an effective strategy. Basically on a certain level I don't really believe an RVS vote holds weight, hence my over-casualness here. These initial flurries are just to get a conversation started until a plausible lynch candidate emerges. On further reflection, I have almost got mislynched a few times now by RVS votes that players have parked so I really should take them more seriously. Just because I don't think they're significant, doesn't mean others feel the same. In any case, now we're a few days into Day 1 I'll be much more circumspect. Pressure votes from here on in until we get to lynching votes. I believe in the weight of pressure votes.

Princess Ottofar
Throwing the vote everywhere for a whole day doesn't seem too effective, at least to me, in any case.
That's a reasonable position to hold sure.

Princess Lenglon
Are you going to try anything different in your approach to this game?
NQT: Different formatting, otherwise no?
NQT: different from what?
Different from other games you've played in. So you've perfected your mafia technique and plan on making no changes to your playstyle? An enviable position!

Princess Cado
RangerCado, I suspect you are scum.
I also find it strange that your vote goes to me without any questions or further evidence. What else have I done that you find scummy?
Why are you so jumpy about a substanceless RVS vote?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2013, 01:49:53 am »

Vote count up tomorrow, I'm having a panic attack.

For now I'd like to remind you that the day is scheduled to end in 12 hours.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2013, 01:53:49 am »

I guess I did make my summaries too short Jim, NQT didn't understand what I said in my answer. time for a short RP-less post then.
NQT: My gameplay style has been in a state of flux throughout all the games I've played, and this one will be no different. meaning I'm going to be changing it constantly... which is the same as it was in past games.
Extend
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2013, 02:06:11 am »

Extend, Its midnight and I can't think straight enough to give decent answers right now.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2013, 03:12:33 am »

Extend

NQT:
Basically on a certain level I don't really believe an RVS vote holds weight, hence my over-casualness here. These initial flurries are just to get a conversation started until a plausible lynch candidate emerges.
I dislike your choice of verb.  Emerges is a passive verb that implies it's not part of your duty as a potential bride (town) to be actively seeking out those who would cause chaos and death.  If you chose to just let it happen, then you run the risk of letting those who would cause harm to others (scum) become the driving force behind the lynch candidates.

Take for example this:
Apparently you had a different question in mind than the one I answered.  Why did you choose to let that fact slide and follow up with a question that focused on my answer to your question rather than the fact that I missed your point?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2013, 04:30:30 am »

Extend.

If you consider this to be an useful tell despite this can you please explain why?

If they RP in lieu of scumhunting, then of course it's scummy, but then anything in lieu of scumhunting is scummy. I have no strong opinion about the validity of roleplaying being a scumtell since up until recently it was a rarity, and in the recent games I've been in, observed, watched, or even skimmed (this number isn't very large), I do not notice a correlation between tendency to RP and alignment.

I only bring it up, because your post here, the one where I asked you to be clearer, contained a sizable chunk of otherwise useless RP.

I intend to lynch with my vote. It's not a random vote at all.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2013, 04:41:23 am »

Princess Griffionday
I dislike your choice of verb.  Emerges is a passive verb that implies it's not part of your duty as a potential bride (town) to be actively seeking out those who would cause chaos and death.  If you chose to just let it happen, then you run the risk of letting those who would cause harm to others (scum) become the driving force behind the lynch candidates.

Apparently you had a different question in mind than the one I answered.  Why did you choose to let that fact slide and follow up with a question that focused on my answer to your question rather than the fact that I missed your point?
Hmm... I think there might have been a misunderstanding when it came to 'emerge'. Scumminess is an emergent property that arises out of scum posts. Obviously, I think we should be pressuring players and asking questions to draw out scummy behaviour, which you're doing an admirable job of so far.

You're absolutely correct that I should have more actively followed up on the fact that you didn't precisely answer the question I thought I was asking you. Really, I was asking you what your wincon was but my question was ambiguous. After implying that you didn't answer the question I thought I was asking you, I expected you to get back to me on that point, which you now have. Nevertheless, you are correct in that I should have pursued that enquiry more directly.

To follow up, what is your wincon? (Note: I'm not asking about any role or flavour details, I just want to know what you literally aim to achieve in this game.)

Princess Leafsnail
Are you planning on making a post before day's end?

Vektor
Are there any events on at the palace (balls, hunts, banquets etc.) or are we just milling about the drawing rooms?

Princesses Groovester and Cado
I intend to lynch with my vote. It's not a random vote at all.
Ah! I stand corrected. In that case, Princess Cado has a valid right to be a bit jumpy.

Princess Groovester, what makes Princess Cado scummy enough to lynch after so little has happened?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 70