Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192120 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1035 on: July 03, 2014, 01:23:17 am »

Is the mountain on the side of the map or the middle?

With a name like that, it seems your hammerer should wear it to protect his identity.  Of course, his efficiency may be reduced if it's completely opaque, but at least the last thought hapless lawbreakers will have will be "damn, that's a fine mask..."
I gave it to the leader of my Tetsu (Iron) clan. I love organising my orcish warriors into clans - currently I have the all-rounder Tetsu (Iron - maces (Forgeshakers/Mountaincrushers) and swords (Divine Blades)) who got the artifact orichalcum mask, my Moku (Wood - Headhunters (archers)), the Kaze (Wind - Galeaxes) who got an artifact scaleplate mask and the Yume (Dream - Temple Guards (maces) and Spiritknives (magic)) who got a basiliskine mask. The leader of each clan gets their own special lupine mask (except for the Moku, since ALL of them get white copper lupine masks) and a better weapon than the rest.

Just waiting for another Uruk/Ronin/Olog to be the leader of the final clan - the Mizu (water - spears). Or maybe I should make a Corsair the leader of Mizu and have them use guns... decisions decisions.

Oh yeah and I have the Warbound. They're just the riff-raff first line of defense though and they just get lamellar leather and iron scimitars.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:26:17 am by Gamerlord »

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 03, 2014, 01:28:50 am »

My current warlock fort is reeling from a swarm of cauchemeres (some kind of evil herbivore from the caverns).

My fort is in a wasteland; I need trees and plants to shred and water. All of which seemingly easy to get in the first cavern layer. As the skeleton crew begins to wall off it off, these angry evil cows run amok through my fort kicking warlocks, skeletons, and ghouls dead with their mighty hooves.

They kill War. War, who was armored in mithril and carried a mighty mithril wraithblade, dies from a hoof to the head. I lose more than half of the fort. In a desperate attempt to put down these foul beasts I order that all the dead be raised.

Over a hundred animated corpses, hands, bits of hair, and arms arise at my command! Sadly, they don't actually kill the beasts. They just manage to chase them into my cage trap corridor. This is good enough. I am able to rebuild and I start the slow process of breathing life back into the dead warlocks one by one.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 03, 2014, 07:10:51 am »

My current warlock fort is reeling from a swarm of cauchemeres (some kind of evil herbivore from the caverns).

My fort is in a wasteland; I need trees and plants to shred and water. All of which seemingly easy to get in the first cavern layer. As the skeleton crew begins to wall off it off, these angry evil cows run amok through my fort kicking warlocks, skeletons, and ghouls dead with their mighty hooves.

They kill War. War, who was armored in mithril and carried a mighty mithril wraithblade, dies from a hoof to the head. I lose more than half of the fort. In a desperate attempt to put down these foul beasts I order that all the dead be raised.

Over a hundred animated corpses, hands, bits of hair, and arms arise at my command! Sadly, they don't actually kill the beasts. They just manage to chase them into my cage trap corridor. This is good enough. I am able to rebuild and I start the slow process of breathing life back into the dead warlocks one by one.
If my D&D knowledge serves me right, those are larger and meaner nightmares. If my Succubus knowledge serves me right, you can summon those bad boys with not too much resource investment.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 03, 2014, 09:38:21 am »

I used to get human sieges on those in one of my old forts.  It was a pain at first, but they didn't seem to be quite the fun-inducing horror I remember nightmares being.

In other news:
"Thabum Bothonub, Dwarven Baby has transformed into a warlock spy!"
Finally, a challenge for my military...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:22:11 pm by Innocent Dave »
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 03, 2014, 02:33:09 pm »

I may have to train some fire mages and raise the balrog to guard the surface fort. That sounds like it would be awesome.  The surface is a desert so there is very to burn, accidentally...

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 03, 2014, 09:38:51 pm »

I used to get human sieges on those in one of my old forts.  It was a pain at first, but they didn't seem to be quite the fun-inducing horror I remember nightmares being.

In other news:

Looks like the warlocks will take anyone for their espionage.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 04, 2014, 06:47:35 pm »

In other news:

So thats what the White Walkers do with Carter's babys!

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 05, 2014, 02:34:09 am »

Solved a siege of dwarves on my kobolds by "inviting" werewolves through copious amounts of thievery.  Time will tell if I will need to send out additional "invitations" to deal with the survivors.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 05, 2014, 06:30:54 pm »

I solved the current subject of the dwarven scientific community. That being "Do Succibi burn".

The answer is "Succubi become difficult to visualize when submerged in the magma sea".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 05, 2014, 08:27:36 pm »

I'm designing a classic dungeon with a maze of trap filled corridors, idea is that once I'm finished only the most worthy of heroes will be able to reach the actual fortress and challenge my worryingly obese Overlord, until then I can keep most of the rabble out with a locked door.

Judging from the numerous engravings of Warlocks being torn apart and eaten by Nagi, it seems the brutes drove my civilization extinct between the years 1 and 3. The Nagi will come to regret this history; slowly, surely, and as painfully as possible.

Pictures for the interested:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:36:51 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 06, 2014, 06:16:42 am »

In other news:

So thats what the White Walkers do with Carter's babys!
Craster!

Also, I see my ghost tiles put to use! Awesome. I need to scavenge Masterwork and see if I can find more of the tiles I lost when I changed HDD.

This thread is very fun to read, can't wait to see more happenings from the new test version!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 06, 2014, 07:47:44 am »

My current fort is straddling some joyous wilds, so I've captured some firebirds. They spit hot fire (and I don't mean they rap well) so I am reconsidering training them and and assigning them to my militia. (Or do creatures lose their ranged attacks when trained? I vaguely remember an issue about that but I'm not sure if it was an older vanilla bug that was fixed in the .34 release.)

I do have a sorcerer who's awaiting further specialization so I could make him a firemage, except I'm not in a desert so I don't much relish the idea of dealing with a surface on fire.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 06, 2014, 06:53:57 pm »

It is just wonderful to know that monkey men will throw their excrement at dwarfs when they are near them.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 07, 2014, 04:18:24 pm »

"The were-tapir has come!  Now you know why you fear the night!!!"

I find it hard to be the slightest bit threatened by a were-tapir.  So I send out my two dorf squad to kill it.  And it reverts... to a freezer.  18 pages of deflected blows later we managed to kill it with green glass swords and not a scratch!  Now I need to train up a weaponsmith to make a decent weapon from the bifrost...

mikael grey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 08, 2014, 03:43:41 pm »

An upstart Warlock fortress, 8 Warlocks, 11 Ghouls, 1 Ironbone Skeleton, 11 normal Skeletons, fun times ahoy!

Still in the process of sealing and limiting access to my tower, after building up the basic industries, spring year 2, pointy ears ambush!

Now Im thinking this will end bloody, but my crypt lord lives (unlives?) to his task, and single handedly kills 7 elves with just a bow. And what name/title does he get?

Whesh Helyeubey Tesh Nseyan Mwet, crypt lord
"Wesh Curlbeached the Oblivion of Death"

First thing in the morning, he is getting a full dreadnaught armor set.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 113