Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192112 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1065 on: July 13, 2014, 09:36:54 am »

Trying to figure out what to do with all my leather (besides making it into crafts or selling it directly).

Are the sets made from leather at the tailor's workshop considered clothing (meaning they'll be acquired and worn by civilians without military involvement), even though the reactions are titled "set of armor", or are they actually considered armor by the game?

Whelp, was doing pretty well until a werewolf came, who promptly turned my militia into werewolves.

Decided to just throw everyone into a small surface burrow and watch the carnage as werewolves rampage through everyone.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:01:30 am by Niveras »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 13, 2014, 09:02:42 pm »

wrong thread.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:36:29 pm by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 13, 2014, 09:27:45 pm »

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:35:38 am by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 14, 2014, 02:48:28 am »

So, my most recent fort.

In year two or three, a Jotunn Ambush shows up. Yeah. I enabled those. My military at that point consisted of 4 very well trained (Legendary Fighters) dwarves and one not so well trained dwarf (competent, wouldn't train with his wolfram hammer  >:( ).
The invaders were roughly 20 Jotun of all kinds and colours.
Unfortunately my untrained Legionnaire (who I put on a seperate squad to train hammers by hunting animals), was right in range of the Jotun Siege. Brave and stupid as he was, he charged right in, even managed to bruise the skin of some Frost Ettin Spearwoman. Then some eldjotuns decided to roast im alive, causing a massive bushfire that burnt down all of the map. Unfortunately also most parts of my masterwork traps (lots of negative thoughts...). So I decide to risk everything and send my 5 man squad against them. At first very cautiously, as my dwarves manage only to scratch the jotuns with their weapons. Then I notice everything is going well, so I let it run for a little.
Well, suddenly there is another fire-attack of the last Eldjotun, burning a hole right in the chest of my second best military dwarf. He proceeds to fight , lopping off some limbs of the guy who burnt him, then dies of bloodloss. The rest of the dwarves manage to kill all Jotun (they are strong but move reaaally slow).
My military dwarf gets an epic seperate tomb with armor stands and the like. I let by legendary bonecarver make two statues. Both intended to stand next to the coffin, I was hoping for some epic battle scenes with Jotun.
Well, Statue one is "a well crafted statue showing a picture of mussels", and statue to is showing a Cave Tortoise.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: July 14, 2014, 11:43:23 am »

My current, now last, kobold fort was doing well, until they got cocky. About three years in, they had laughed off a couple dwarf sieges from behind massive peat ramparts (good things dwarves are dumb, they didn't try burning them out!) , then a humie Imperial force turned up and likewise were laughed at. Meanwhile, inside, the 100 pups were building a second lovely hall from slag and bone, meant to be a masterpiece of 'bold architecture, digging long mine tunnels to find something (anything!) other than malachite with their eternally breakable (but never broken!) shovels with their still level 0 mining skills. Major brainstorm, "maybe we can steal some!" so a supertopsecretest tunnel was dug allowing brave 'bolds (is that redundant or an oxymoron?) to venture forth. They went after the elves because the liked the idea of longer ranged weapons because the stream kept the big uglies quite a ways out of sling range... or so they figured, not having actually tried because those things out there are ugly and shiny and make 'bold eyes hurt. The managed to steal some arrows and bows that were as tall and three, or maybe four, 'bolds stacked, so no joy there. Then they got a plan! And they built a fletcher and started training so they could use those lovely composite bows (bone! leather! good stuff!)

Meanwhile, one of the respected (crazy) mechanics had another !idea!. There were some dwarves and elves (oh, yeah, they got annoyed and sent an ambush too, not wanting to miss the chance to persecute the poor misunderstood 'bolds) sitting around in cages. Silly big uns, walked right into 'bold cages. The 'bolds hadn't quite figured out how to make them dead. This brilliant idea involved a big, BIG tub of water that they could drop the prisoners into and watch them drown, not being good swimmers like any sensible 'bold is. Then he had another !IDEA! and decided it would be nice to let the water out and get at the nice bones and skin for leathers and stuffs, but then they'd have to fill it again, so !!IDEA!! why not build a pump like he once saw in a gnome town to do it automatically?

Kobolds should not play with pumps and water wheels...

And so, a new fort begins, rising from a new lake surrounded by high peat banks.

(Hadn't made a reactor in a while, left out the wrong wall and no one could get through the rushing water to disassemble the thing! oops. Perpetual motion machines can mean perpetual trouble...)   :o

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 14, 2014, 10:09:01 pm »

Building an "elf-grinder" to farm for scalps for warbanners and souls for dreamwalk talismans.  Rather than wall off all the way around the camp, we just built some palisades with little zig-zag gaps.  The elfs and dwarfs can't see past the barrier to shoot us, so they come running up through the gaps, where the warchief is waiting with a bloodsteel jagged axe, a couple dreamwalkers with crude tribal caster's staves*, and about 12 grunts with nothing but clubs and a bad attitude.  (the elves usually get time for at least one volley of singing arrows, so this isn't a foolproof plan.  The trick is to have enough expendable orc/warg/cat bodies or shields in the way that the warchief doesn't get pincushioned.)

By the time the sieges started being  dangerous enough to fight more cautiously in year 3 or so, our dreamwalkers have already consumed enough pinkskin memories to unlock the Treesinger's Pagoda and Dwarven Runesmith, not that we have the materials on hand to make any use of them yet, but it means it is worth starting up some tree farms soon.

This fort has a lot more trading partners enabled than I'm used to playing with, so I've found it's pretty valuable to sell surplus elves' mithril gear e.g. to the succubi for about 2000 bucks a pop.  Still handing out the mithril krises and having the molten pit refit some armor pieces into makeshift mail, but not necessarily melting down all the rest for bars as I normally would.

I had embarked with some Terrier squigs** for vermin control rather than the usual Arctic condors; with the saved money I upgraded from my normal pair of guard direwolves to sabrecats.  Unfortunately the embark was on top of a cave and I lost the Breeders to an attack of trogs, so there's not actually any squig ranching going on.

* new -- had to hunt for bones and ash, and dig a bit to find some gems to get the staves made

** also new
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:11:51 pm by smakemupagus »

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: July 15, 2014, 01:22:18 pm »

Close to year 3. Not a single attack. Nothing. Probaly cause of the isolated Volcano Island my Dwarves decided to settle on.
What started out as a simple expedition ended up in a complete metal producing complex... Tons of Iron and Steel is manufactured... And slowly a huge Titanium Production gets started. People are armed already in full Titanium and slowly starting to replace their gear with Mithril. Military is weak in numbers... but instead of quantity the Dwarfs of Uristhesam rather have a few, top geared militaries and rather use expandable creatures... Drakes armored in iron. Soon criminal Dwarves will be turned into Golems and used as expandable combatants while a few Icemage/Watermage will join their ranks in the military... there are rumors of an ore... outranging anything made out of Titanium, Mithril or even Orichalcum... the military prepares themself carefull to protect a mining expedition... just in case something bad happens while they are trying to find this mysterious ore...
Screams and terrible noises from below keep the expansion to lower depths slow... the miners fear going down further without a propper military... who knows what will wait for them there... specially after one of their discoveries from their archelogist turned against them and spit foul, horrific, distorted creatures growing out of dead bodies at them. It required a sacrifice to their god Armok to stop the plague... the military was not prepared for those creatures... the archelogist who discovered the artifact went insane... mumbling only "Necromorphs... they rise again..." shortly after the Fortress psychologist figured out that he is a lost case and about to loose himself their military leader called "Blade of Wrath" decided to have mercy with the archelogist... shooting him right into his unprotected head with a Titanium bolt, piercing his brain and going out on the backside of his head (//Archelogist went berserk, he was anyways in a bad mood because I drafted him earlier and he didnt know how to wear Titanium pants and got mad cause of that apparently...) ending his misery. Incidents like that made the Dwarfs of Uristhesam very... very... carefull and cautious. They do not want to awake the eldritch evil they mind find below which could lurk in any shadow... and if they awake something... they better run... just run.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:25:11 pm by ___MeRliN___ »
Signature coming *soon* TM

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: July 15, 2014, 03:15:14 pm »

Found a decent place to settle some kobolds, had a nice little den dug out, got an immigrant wave of like 3 'bolds. Just as I was setting up a trade depot a squad of axedwarves showed up and slaughtered everyone :(

Poor little buggers never stood a chance.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 18, 2014, 11:09:16 am »

after a year (RL) of peace that i spent counting my gold coins the king forced me to return to lead an expedition, we found copper and silver, i had some troubles undeerstanding all the new invetions the shortbeards came up with but in the end i managed to start a decent Karak (fortress), beer, wine and rum were flowing in quantity when i showd my kin my little tresure, a bag ful of ironwood acorns, we buildt a greenhouse out of Obsidian and glass and in the safe place we started to farm the rare trees.
i know i know, as dwarves al this talking about trees is a bitt odd, but think about this, with some research our herbalists managed to turn all that wood into iron, and our metallurgist combined it with the silver to clad my militia with mithril armors, we had faced werewolves and mutated beasts afterall!
In the end i decided to to return to the capital after the last invasion was repelled, damned naga were-wizards, they attacked with an army of flaming undeads, even if my militia won, we lost too many brave lads there, we could have rebuild but i chose to pack all our gold and our precious mithirl and leave.
Before leaving tho i pulled THE lever, let the lava welcome the next fool invader!
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 19, 2014, 08:38:08 am »

It was quite a while ago now (welded metals still existed), but I only thought to share it now. I had what I think was probably a successful fort, but I play differently than most people so I'm not sure. I had been focusing on trying to get all the magic buildings and after getting the [whatever the black magic one is called] I saw that I could summon a tame demon. I summoned one pretty quickly which turned out to be a giant female monitor lizard. At first I thought they would just work like tame animals so I pastured her outside my fort to protect it. Despite pretty much every attack cleaving the target in half she was practically useless as all she did was shoot out clouds of dust that pushed the enemy away from hew faster than she could reach them. Eventually I found out she could be given jobs and investigated possibilities for a while. After seeing she couldn't be put into the military except in a leadership position I decided to put her as the captain of the guard. You might be able to guess where this is going. Over the years I had ended up with several dwarves who had committed a few minor crimes, I think it was mostly not completing mandates. Anyway, I had forgotten that captains of the guard handle the justice system so I hadn't built a prison. Immediately she ran down to the entrance to the caverns and sliced a dwarf in half. I started wondering if maybe she had gone rogue or something. After she walked right past several dwarves without killing them I reAlized that it was just because I was stupid and forgot what captains of the guard are. In the end she killed, I think 6 dwarves, including a legendary mason (not one I used as a mason though), my legendary armorsmith and pretty good weaponsmith and metal crafter. one dwarf she attacked actually survived though due to his masterwork steel armor. In the end the monitor lizard just sat around the dining hall and I have yet to play that fort again.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: July 20, 2014, 09:10:02 am »

Tried an Evil Embark on a different world today which I like to describe just as a location far away from the old fortress I am playing on. This time with any harder settings on except harder farming. Well didnt last too long. A Faedog (fairydog?) corpse decided to move close to my wagon, killing 2 of my leatherwing bats. Those ressurected aswell and the Tuskox decided to join the fight killing all of them. Havent had a way to get rid of those bodies yet so essentially the Tuskox were just keeping them supressed.

Dwarfs carved out a bit underground settled my few workshops... then a cloud of blinding sand came across blinding my Tuskox... which got then dispatched by the corpses of 2 leatherwing bats and 1 Faedog. My Maceman wielding a cobalt morningstar joined the fight and killed the leatherwing bats and the Faedog off... got stomped by a reanimated Tuskox. And well that was it... Dwarfs are defenseless, but managed to seal them off from the surface. Damn no booze and the Dewbeetles are outside... and undead now aswell... Well the 3 managed to get inside died to dehydration while the rest joined the undead army.

Got something half decent, following fortress failed cause... well I decided to see how powerfull HFS is and missclicked on the colosseum, its a reclaimed fortress which failed earlier due to plague:

<< The lost Archelogist-Expedition:

Osthimshur was an excavation side deployed by the Dwarfs of Uristhesam, a land far away from their location. The initial 7 dwarfs saw the huge ruins of the fortress... their guard simply named Blue, armed with a repeater cobalt crossbow stood outside and protected the drawbridge leading into the underground complex. However there was something outside with him... watching him... and he got quickly attacked by a Succubus theft who took a bolt to the chest. However the Succubus was already very close to Blue and sliced his throat with a Stygian Bronze Dagger just to be shot afterwards by a barrage of bullets from the Sentry Turret the expedition brough with them. The 6 remaining dwarfs went meanwhile inside noticing that the entire ruins are bigger then expected... grown over with moss and crystalline plants... workshops, dining room, blacksmith and storages were still intact. Quickly they decided to block off the way to the lower levels leading into a large underground cavern with some fungiwood, then restaurating the fortress, analysing the artifacts they may find. Blue (or whats left of him) got a propper funeral and they moved on.

Few months later. Summer. Migrants have arrived and joined the Excavation side. A quick militia was found armed with the artifacts from the ruins, that means obsidian shortswords, a repeater mithril crossbow with Manticore arrows and a steel axe together with some leather armor. The entrance to the caverns was reopened, miners, archelogists and their 3 man strong militia force went down into the caverns, where a huge complex has been found... Excavation starts soon.

2 Years later. Excavation was a success, alot of artifacts were found, 1 werewolf attack occured which got fend off by the militia without any losses. Treasures and Artifacts were exported, presumeable to Uristhesam with exception of a few selected. One being a few pieces of mithril armor the militia uses for themself. And the other one is a giant animated statue of iron named "The Destroyer, Guardian of Armok". The Destroyer got deployed at the front gate dispatching any intruders, few gnolls got too close to him... he has torn off their heads with his bare hands. Goblin snatcher? Got thrown against a cliff and died. A powerfull weapon their newest discovery is. However the leaders of said excavation sitting in Uristhesam have other plans... they want to find a material called Adamantine...

Another 2 years later. The excavation side turned into a full mining operation. They found adamantine. Militia got stocked up to 8 man in full adamantine together with their Destroyer. Exporting said adamantine to their leaders and founders Fortress Uristhesam. However the veins seem to be Tubular... leading deeper into the earth. Not bothering too much the miners proceeded...

A month later... Summer, about 4 and a half years in the excavation side... the dwarfs found a new deep, dark cavern at the bottom of the adamantine vein they mined for months. A smell of brimstone and ash comes from below, an eerie purple glow is to see... and screams...

Something came up from the dark eerie cave below... they slaughtered the miners... one made it to alert the militia whatsoever. Quickly they moved into the mine together with their guardian, giving order to abadone the fortress and seal it. Meanwhile a Balrog managed to break out of the Arena and incinerated the entire upper area killing dozents of dwarfs. The military? Presumeably lost. Few of the dwarves stayed inside sealing the inside of the excavation side and flooding it with water from their reservoir. The Destroyer not to be seen again sealed forever with those abominations from below... The Balrog? Probaly joined their ranks.

People of Osthimshur are scattered... left their old home... trying to find a way to Uristhesam... to take revenge on those pulling the strings... on the death of hundreads. How high is the worth of a Dwarfs life in Adamantine? Not very high as the survivors of Osthimshur can tell. >>

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:07:52 am by ___MeRliN___ »
Signature coming *soon* TM

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 22, 2014, 06:25:33 pm »

So, new Orc embark on an almost completely flat plain (small hill in the north-east corner); late summer had an orc caravan come along that had NO trade goods O_O. Then, in late autumn had a succubus caravan come along; almost the moment they step onto the map, they agro some giant thrips.. one of the succubi apparently had a fireball spell, and used it... which of course, burned down the whole map. Fortunately I had a starter hole to l ive in.. I lost a couple of guys (my hunter and an uruk who was out on a break apparently) as well as some workshops and a bunch of leather.. but at least  Im still alive!
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 22, 2014, 06:38:06 pm »

So, new Orc embark on an almost completely flat plain (small hill in the north-east corner); late summer had an orc caravan come along that had NO trade goods O_O. Then, in late autumn had a succubus caravan come along; almost the moment they step onto the map, they agro some giant thrips.. one of the succubi apparently had a fireball spell, and used it... which of course, burned down the whole map. Fortunately I had a starter hole to l ive in.. I lost a couple of guys (my hunter and an uruk who was out on a break apparently) as well as some workshops and a bunch of leather.. but at least  Im still alive!

Hehe. I've had similar things happen. Like the time I decided it was a good idea to teach my warlock overlord some fire spells before I'd really gotten his rooms all set up properly. I'd never seen a tantrum spiral quite like that.

Right now I'm playing gnomes and I have a pretty decent cave laboratory going but only 15 gnomes and no more migrants. I'm thinking my parent civ is dead in this world and I have the last two married couples in the known universe in my fort. The outside is guarded by a pack of golden robotic gorillas and the inside entrance has a couple of legendary chainsaw wielding roller skaters with armored war dogs. So we're probably safe.

Only problem with gnomes though ... once you achieve "safe" then there's not much else to do. They top end even faster than kobolds (whose tier 3 industry seems to be poisoned bolas.)

Probably why I keep going back to warlocks. I've never hit top end there. Always something more to do and I usually die before I can get it accomplished. A typical warlock fort has had 5 or 6 reclaims so I can reuse existing infrastructure.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 22, 2014, 10:26:22 pm »

Right now I'm playing gnomes and I have a pretty decent cave laboratory going but only 15 gnomes and no more migrants. I'm thinking my parent civ is dead in this world and I have the last two married couples in the known universe in my fort. The outside is guarded by a pack of golden robotic gorillas and the inside entrance has a couple of legendary chainsaw wielding roller skaters with armored war dogs. So we're probably safe.

You need to call caravans with the telegraph or neither them nor migrants will come, last I checked. Or they could be legitimately extinct.

Only problem with gnomes though ... once you achieve "safe" then there's not much else to do. They top end even faster than kobolds (whose tier 3 industry seems to be poisoned bolas.)

Probably why I keep going back to warlocks. I've never hit top end there. Always something more to do and I usually die before I can get it accomplished. A typical warlock fort has had 5 or 6 reclaims so I can reuse existing infrastructure.

Cosmic Gear? That thing is end game. And is awesome. And kobold's top industry is more like poisoned hexed metal arrows.Still, their tech tree doesn't go as high as dwarves. More like tech shrub. In any case, from my experience playtesting them, you'll love Humans one they come out. SO MUCH TECH UNLOCKING AND STUFF.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 22, 2014, 10:55:28 pm »

Heh. I've fiddled with some of the high end gnome stuff (though I had to use dfhack to get the ingredients quickly enough for my taste) but didn't find it added all that much to it. I think in the end it felt sort of like orcish dreamwalkers ... why bother with fidgety magic when by the time you've got it going, you probably also have 4 squads of elite uruks with bloodsteel? Seeing a frostskald cast something on an elf bladedancer is less satisfying than reading through the report about all the severed parts sailing off from the steel scimitar buzzsaw brigade. :)

Almost always I call the caravan before I even go underground. My typical embark goes in this pattern:

1. Dig down into dirt/sand and hollow out large chamber. Store goods and food there (to protect them from monkeys) and set up a table as a meeting hall to keep everyone out of the rain. This room will be used for a farm later on.

2. Use one of about a dozen fortress designs I have macro'd. (I like to reproduce thematic sites from games, movies, etc.) Let the miners start digging that out.

3. Set up some food production, putting lavish meals into barrels and get a depot up for the fall traders. With gnomes, that means a telegraph has to go up fast, but so long as you take an anvil and a few metal bars than you can drop that right on the surface immediately, then deconstruct it later and move everything down deeper.

4. Once the deeps have been hollowed out sufficiently, set up the below level stuff.

For gnomes, they have SO MUCH fidgety devices which require a billion subcomponents. I recommend putting all of those on work order macros, so all you have to do is execute the "actuator" macro and then it sets up orders to put together all the rods, wires, cogs, mainsprings, etc. in the proper order. I have it set up to the extent that I just load and execute the "gorilla" macro and it will throw all the work orders up on the manager screen in the proper order for everything to be assembled. As long as I've got the proper metals and made sure to break down 10 or so sheets into strips, then all is good.

Going through the gnome pets, they are NOT all created equal. If you go through the raws, you'll see that some have one attack and some have multiple attacks. I settled on gorillas because they have the [EQUIPS] tag and you will sometimes see them pick up gear, though it seems erratic. It would be nice if you could actually instruct them what to pick up ... such as tell the giant steel gorilla to pick up the chainsaw and wield it. :) I would think even those silly orcs would run in terror from a group of chainsaw wielding robot gorillas.

I find 3 spider tanks to be superior to a dragon ... more attacks, they can converge on a target in unison, and they have multiple limbs. They make mincemeat of dark stranglers pretty fast. The mechanical bull is my next favorite moving upwards because it can kick and its weight tends to propel many opponents into walls or other objects.

I'm looking forward to humans, but I have some concerns about building aboveground. The embark layouts so rarely favor that unless you pick something specific like a sweeping, empty plain.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 113