Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192149 times)

DjangoBob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1020 on: June 28, 2014, 12:41:37 am »

After some bullcrap this morning starting a 5.09 game(end of spring in my first year three sasquatches showed up. They proceeded to be completely ignored by my mastiffs, kill the hell out of all of my bats, deconstruct workshops, and then beat two of my dwarves to death in the dining hall, then beat one to death in my courtyard, not two tiles from one of my mastiffs which just sat there dully. One of my miners managed to kill one easily after getting cornered) I started a new fort.

A year in and utilizing the second floor of dirt entirely for a storage network that's resulted in a lot more efficient hauling. Basic defenses up(I like pets and run mostly cage traps and filling my courtyard with whatever nasties I can find. I also like chucking invaders down pits for laughs. Doing well, had the infrastructure in place for my dwarves, a good supply of copper, a well that I managed to not drown anyone making, everyone roomed at about 24 dwarves and starting to deck out my dining hall. Had my first succubus encounter(she got bit by a moleweasel, cut off it's leg and ran away) and the only annoying thing to happen was my only male leatherwing bat getting killed by a pack of wolves that wandered a bit close and I didn't capture any. I'd purposefully kept my value down to avoid sieges and(hopefully) huge migrant waves.

Spring of the second year rolls around and I go from 24 to 62 dwarves... and a male and female plump helmet man. Christ, it's late and I'm not dealing with the logistics of that tonight. Time to go play Contract Wars...

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: June 28, 2014, 10:06:58 am »

Got my Kobold camping running smoothly in the first year, this time I took 5 slingers for earlier defense. I got my palasade built and even found a way to align bone, leather and wood industries close together to help feed the trap making.  Also had a small supply of Ironbone and bonerattle, enough for weapons and armor for the squads I will make.

Bones are on a short supply as smooth wood bullets can't kill anything and more likely trigger a larger beast to kill the slinger.   I had some darts to the mix thinking that would help if I can get poison going. Trying to a avoid bolas as that used to be the easy route (pre-nerf atleast).  Still not much luck.

Finally get my thieves tunnel up, look at the list... Hmm what is easy enough to not run me over. I only have a few cages, bold traps, and an orge at the front gate. Well my wood supply is getting short, let's try the new centaurs. So I set that on repeat, with 2 thieves that don't have much better to do. Soon I am swimming in Ironbone and Steeloak, but I'm also swimming in centaur ambushes.

Luckily they don't get past the gate and eventually I don't even worry about closing it. They are turned away by the cages, traps and my front gate pets. I slowly loose some badgers and giant rats, but now my bone supply is growing. Also ironically my bullets and darts slowly start becoming iron and steel wood, so my 2 squads get deadlier. I get a 3rd squad for Ironbone machetes to prepare melee.

I get a second tunnel up and now think, let's try humans. With metal-ish ammo I should be able to hurt them. Well soon I have 5 full siege armies surround me and maybe this won't go so well...
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1022 on: June 28, 2014, 10:43:32 am »

You think the ratio of building plan and sieges are ok ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: June 28, 2014, 03:29:42 pm »

Don't think I got a building plan yet. Will check when I am back on the game. The ratio of reaction to siege/ambush is too high and maybe the stolen goods too. That many attacks by anything stronger than centaurs would likely wipe Bolds out.  I'm pretty sure I am doomed by the humans because I'm only 2-3 squads and ~40 Bolds. A 50+ siege coming from just one repeating thief is too much. My forts/camps died when I can not find enough industry to keep the idle down. I should have a dozen thieves running in a 120+ Camp without overwhelming the camp with attacks or supplies.

Let me look at the raws later and suggest some math changes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1024 on: June 28, 2014, 04:02:32 pm »

Its 5% atm, so 20 times stealing = 1 siege, ambush or snatcher/thief that is spawned. humans, dwarves, elves and gnomes are obviously the most dangerous to steal from, because its always sieges with those...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: June 28, 2014, 05:16:32 pm »

Let me cut the output down less (1-2% per item) and the siege to 2% and see if that feels like a better flow on my earlier save.  Will try that later tonight.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 28, 2014, 05:26:13 pm »

Late first winter:  Oh look a thunderbird shows up!  I have 2 military dwarves in green glass armor and weapons, but I think we can manage one bird.  I'll post them on the edge of the hole that is my fortress at the moment and have them wait for the birdie.

The thunderbird decides to go chasing after the only thing on the map faster than it, a moleweasel kit.  Finally it gets bored, I check to see where it is so I can reposition my mighty warriors to block it off as it starts to head for the fortress...  Where are they?  Oh look, they both got bored and decided to go to sleep.

The bird kills both tuskoxen, both mastiffs (so all my defensive animals) and is idly chewing on my ward of armok, looking around for some dwarves to eat when my sworddorf finally wakes up and walks up to it, chopping off its head.

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 28, 2014, 05:31:55 pm »

Late first winter:  Oh look a thunderbird shows up!  I have 2 military dwarves in green glass armor and weapons, but I think we can manage one bird.  I'll post them on the edge of the hole that is my fortress at the moment and have them wait for the birdie.

The thunderbird decides to go chasing after the only thing on the map faster than it, a moleweasel kit.  Finally it gets bored, I check to see where it is so I can reposition my mighty warriors to block it off as it starts to head for the fortress...  Where are they?  Oh look, they both got bored and decided to go to sleep.

The bird kills both tuskoxen, both mastiffs (so all my defensive animals) and is idly chewing on my ward of armok, looking around for some dwarves to eat when my sworddorf finally wakes up and walks up to it, chopping off its head.
Hey man dont judge! Dworfs need their beauty sleeps!     

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 29, 2014, 02:58:41 am »

Idly perusing Legends mode for my new 5.10 world, I find that the Vampire Lord Frugoten Specialsoldiers the Decisive Harvester has not only written a 255-page autobiography ("It Must Have Been The Vampire Lord", a title presumably taken from multiple crime reports), but then followed it up three years later with a book about his autobiography (a mere 27 pages, but out now in Dragonscale-bound limited edition).  The writing is described as "stunningly self-indulgent".

This contrasts starkly with the autobiographical work of the Minotaur Arsttun Disgustgullies the Patterned Walls, which lasts a mere 22 pages.  It's entitled "The Sunken Idleness of the Minotaur", and the writing is generally thought to be rather cruel.

EDIT: Arsttun followed this up with an extended 29-page version several years later, titled "The Unabridged Arsttun".  The writing is "as vicious as can be".

Further research reveals that Arsttun was the king of a sizeable civilization of Succubi for 140 years.  Although he presided over a period of great expansion and personally led (and won) the defense in every major battle of that period, he spent most of his time writing books.  He authored on subjects as diverse as the various forts under his command (Recordings of Scourgescrubbed, year 4; "the writing has a hint of viciousness"), his subjects ("The Succubi, I Wait For Thee", year 31), his own works ("The Book: The Truth", year 37; "the writing is as vicious as can be") and of course himself, culminating in his final work "Arsttun Disgustgullies the Patterned Walls and Arsttun Disgustgullies the Patterned Walls", year 126, a 148-page Moonstone-bound edition in which Arsttun finally comes to terms with his life and... no, wait, it was suffused with "a hint of viciousness" and was the last thing he ever created.

He was slain 14 years later by an uppity fisherdwarf.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:24:11 am by Innocent Dave »
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: July 01, 2014, 07:34:52 pm »

"The spinning spider monkey exrement strikes The Miner in the groin, bruising the skin through the (cotton fiber shirt)!"

Talk about a shitty day.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: July 01, 2014, 08:08:31 pm »

"Alarm" would have saved the day ;)
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 02, 2014, 08:12:53 am »

An armoursmith just made an artifact:

'The Lawful Slayer', worth 96000.

This is a orichalcum opaque mask. All craftsorcship is of the highest quality. It is studded with orichalcum.

Not only that, but he is now legendary as well.
FUCK YES.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 02, 2014, 08:37:24 am »

With a name like that, it seems your hammerer should wear it to protect his identity.  Of course, his efficiency may be reduced if it's completely opaque, but at least the last thought hapless lawbreakers will have will be "damn, that's a fine mask..."
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 02, 2014, 10:33:28 pm »

I'm regretting deciding to smelt the aluminum first when my armorsmith got all moody.  He made a aluminum gauntlet, worth 2/3rds my entire fort (108K for the gauntlet alone).  Which is nice and all, until the balrog showed up.  I've got a 4 dwarf totally newbie militia armed with green glass.  I don't think I could even scratch it.

Fortunately I embarked on a desert and had already roofed over to stop all my dwarves from being blinded, I had even just shut the front drawbridge before he appeared.  So far he has eaten a elven caravan, so if he ever decides to leave it will have been profitable...

Update:  Holy crap, they managed to kill it!  I now no longer have a military, but 7 dwarves, 2 mastiffs and 3 tuskoxen later (and a roasted farming area), it is dead.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:58:34 pm by arbarbonif »

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 03, 2014, 12:48:36 am »

Haven't even unpaused yet on my very first ever Warlock fortress.

The embark site I chose is just.... it's majestic.  Evil shrublands next to a mountain with a major river flowing through it.  Mind, this major river is 25 tiles wide and 50 full z-levels from the top of the mountain where my wagon is and the bottom of the canyon.

I... I have to do something GLORIOUS with this warlock tower.  I don't know what though, I'm just boggled with possibilities here.

Suggestions are welcome.  Heck, I'll even "warlock"/"skeleton"/"ghoul" the first few people who want it, if anyone wants to be a named part of the horrible mishap that this tower is going to be.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 113