Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192079 times)

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1050 on: July 08, 2014, 05:44:37 pm »

The engravers keep putting up images of legendary Bronze Colossi going on world gen murder sprees. Like, dozens of these images all over the fortress. I suspect this may be in part because Meph stated he added bronze colossi as a unit available to automaton invaders.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: July 09, 2014, 04:22:43 am »

"The were-tapir has come!  Now you know why you fear the night!!!"

I find it hard to be the slightest bit threatened by a were-tapir.  So I send out my two dorf squad to kill it.  And it reverts... to a freezer.  18 pages of deflected blows later we managed to kill it with green glass swords and not a scratch!  Now I need to train up a weaponsmith to make a decent weapon from the bifrost...

I got visited by a Freezer yesterday. Gnome fort in its 1st year so I expected quick FUN. But then, something happened. Something I completely forgot about. It slowly opened its eyes, angry to be woken up by some tiny snowman. War Colossus Elephant, until now nameless (but among the gnomes known as "Little Timmy"), charged the Freezer, kicked him in the head, thus killing him a sending him flying 10 tiles back. Then Little Timmy went back to sleep in his 5x5 pasture around fort entrance :D

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: July 09, 2014, 05:10:44 am »

My most recent fortress had a strange occurance:

My first caravan arrives, everything goes as normal. Suddenly I get all kind of cancellation messagess, I wonder whats going on, go to the level with the Depot (outside) only to see that it is burning to ashes and causing a devastating bushfire.
Half the map got devastated, some wild critters burnt to death too.
Results: All my animals for fighting are dead, and I can't even butcher them! *hrmpf*
Exept one merchant and a macedwarf (and the liasion) all merchants are dead. My own casualty is one miner, luckily an relatively unskilled one.
When I was checking the logs, the only thing was, "and arcane dwarf has sprung from ambush!". My guess is, one of the merchants was a pyromancer, saw a critter while trading and in an attempt to kill it, burnt down half of the map.
Maybe connected to that was the fact, that for the next 2-3 immigration waves I got no migrants at all.

Later I was also visited by some Were-Antilope with a very long name. First it dispatched my Legendary Bone-Carver (through mood, litteraly 30 seconds before) but when I sent my military after it, it turned into a white tigerman, and they made short work of it.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 09, 2014, 11:41:38 am »

Combusting caravans is a decently widespread thing. Its hapened a few times to me. Not sure what causes it. Its usually hilarious though.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 09, 2014, 01:04:41 pm »

Right now I'm just trying to make some bricks to build the above-ground section of my fortress. I always like finding new and interesting materials in infinite supply; green glass blocks, stoneware bricks, farmed obsidian blocks, or possibly steel bars melted from goblinite. I've also discovered/realized that, thanks to Masterwork's tree farms, I can get infinite ash to turn into pearlash for clear glass blocks, or infinite coke to turn into diamonds and diamond blocks, and right now I'm going with the latter. My diamond fortress will blind visitors with my wealth!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 09, 2014, 01:39:54 pm »

Use infinite bone blocks from goblins. THAT makes a statement.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Mind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 10, 2014, 04:42:28 am »

I'm new to Masterworks mod and trying it out more or less. At the moment I am trying to figure out why my glassmaker died of thirst. I have a well, I have drinks. He stood thirsty in the dininghall and then ran down to the livingquarters and died of thirst in the hallway... instead of going for a drink. But I don't have a complete grasp over the mod yet, it is so large :D. What could be causing this? Curse? Disease? Evil powers at work? ... blocked pathing? I have no idea really :)

So thats what I'm doing at the moment. And I am transitioning from the first anything goes to survive to a more organised fortress.
This is a link to the save btw: http://blackbox.mikaelisaksson.com/save.zip

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 10, 2014, 12:50:02 pm »

I thought that the new update made dorfs forget how to butcher their greenskin friends.

And screw gem blocks, encrusting as many weapons and armor pieces as possible and then beating up as many enemies as possible is the true ultimate expression of wealth. Nothin' says "I'm richer'n you" like being murdered by a terracotta  soldier made from diamonds. Bonus points if you color code your squads by gem type. (Trading with gnomes helps with this)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 10, 2014, 04:29:40 pm »

I thought that the new update made dorfs forget how to butcher their greenskin friends.

And screw gem blocks, encrusting as many weapons and armor pieces as possible and then beating up as many enemies as possible is the true ultimate expression of wealth. Nothin' says "I'm richer'n you" like being murdered by a terracotta  soldier made from diamonds. Bonus points if you color code your squads by gem type. (Trading with gnomes helps with this)

Update or not; if you drop a living thing off a high-enough cliff to a hard-enough floor, the messy explosion should yield some workable goblin-bone. Bonus points if they're zombie goblins, since zombies apparently get bigger which (I think) should result in more bones.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 10, 2014, 07:00:12 pm »

Just realized that antmen are more hardcore than greenskins. They send about twice as many ambushers, and a lot more often. If I ever need a backup source of rusty steel I'll make an antman grinder or something, but the caverns are definitely not safer than the surface anymore.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 10, 2014, 07:36:02 pm »

Urist McRecruit actually managed to behead a giant. Granted he had a +Mithril Long Sword+, but I still figured one of the terminator veterans would get the kill.

Anyone know how long big cats take to grow up? I have a whole collect baby leopards, snow leopards, jaguars, cougars and even tigers, some of them years old, that are still babies.

EDIT: Nevermind; a tiger cub just reached adulthood at 3 years of age. I assume that the cubs of the other big cats we have grow up at a similar age.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:54:21 pm by JAK »

Mind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 11, 2014, 02:14:34 am »

I want to share something I did in an old vanilla fortress. I hope someone finds it useful. I don't have any screenshots anymore but I will try to explain.

Self replenishing cave-in trap (of sorts)

The main concept of this trap is that when you embark in a freezing biome you can use falling ice walls as a killing mechanism. So to get this to work you need to build the entire trap below surface, except for a 1 square hole that is open to the sky.

A couple of levels below the hole build 4 drawbridges that is aligned next to another with a 1 square offset so that they leave a 1 square hole/gap when in the down position. The gap must be aligned with the hole in the ceiling so that it "sees" the sky.

When the drawbridges are in the up position on of them should block a channel out to a watersource.

Below the drawbridges you can build your mechanisms for activating the trap. Since the trap is going to leave blocks of ice on the floor below you should have lava below the floor to allow them to thaw and pump the water away.

So, what happens is that when the trap is unactivated, water flows freely out over the drawbridges. When it comes to the gap between the drawbridges it freezes to a wall of ice. The ice keeps water from flowing down below and the trap is set.

When it is activated the drawbridges raise and the icewall gets hanging in midair and thereafter comes crashing to the ground. The drawbridges also block the waterstream when in the up position so no water comes flowing down.

You could also combine this with 1 square pits filled with lava where the iceblocks come crashing to create deadly lavamist. The only downside of this is that sometimes obsidian is formed and you need to shut the trap of sometimes for maintenance. Never figures out a way around this.

Try to keep this contraption a bit away from your fort because mining and such disturbs the hanging ice so it falls prematurely.
If anyone find this interesting and wants to try it I can draw a simple schematic to try and explain it a bit better.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:04:27 am by Mind »

Mind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 11, 2014, 04:13:53 am »

So, this happens when you attack the children in the dininghall. Justice is swift, and maybe my ranged dwarfs should take up work as fieldsurgeons in case we need to amputate something O.o :D, The whole event took like 2 seconds.

Ushang Zagstoklikot, Metalcrafter has transformed into a necromancer in disguise!
Roduk Nishmonom, Tailor cancels Eat: Interrupted by Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter.
Inod Angzakacob, Miner cancels Attend Party: Interrupted by Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter.
Uben Zongoden, Dwarven Child cancels Eat: Interrupted by Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter.
Birut Atirsaneb, Herbalist cancels Eat: Interrupted by Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter.
Ingiz Imusharrug, Miner cancels Attend Party: Interrupted by Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter.
The Gem Setter runs for his life!
The Dwarven Child runs for his life!
The Farmworker runs for his life!
The Engineer runs for his life!
The *Nun of Armok* runs for his life!
The Shearer runs for his life!
The Tailor runs for his life!
The Woodworker runs for his life!
The Herbalist runs for his life!
The Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter punches The Dwarven Child in the right thigh with its right hand, but the attack is deflected by The Dwarven Child's (chitinplate cloak)!
The flying (white copper javelin) strikes The Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter in the right foot, fracturing the bone!
A ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter falls over.
The Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter gives in to pain.
The flying (black bronze broadhead bolt) strikes The Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter in the right foot and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Ingiz Imusharrug, Miner cancels Clean: Interrupted by Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter.
The flying (white copper javelin) strikes The Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter in the right hand and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Swordsdwarf runs through The Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter in the head with the tip of his (iron short sword) and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Ushang Zagstoklikot, Necromancer In Disguise Metalcrafter has been struck down.

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 12, 2014, 01:04:13 am »

Had my first serious military encounter with succubusses. An ambush of 4 at the time of the autumn caravan got smashed instantly, but that lulled me into a sense of security as a separate group of about 8 were still hidden. Luckily for Fortress Guard cadet they jumped, none of their weapons could penetrate his +Studded Leather+ armor suit. Like, pages of "The -Rose Gold Battle Axe- cleaves the cadet in the head, but the attack glances off the +Studded Leather Helm+." He survived with broken bones and bruises, no cuts whatsoever.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 13, 2014, 05:42:00 am »

One of my Axedwarves just ripped the head off an invading Orc's Dire Wolf steed with her teeth.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 113