Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191953 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #285 on: September 15, 2013, 02:15:17 pm »

One of my original 7 was an ashkin. He responded to a harmless snake drifting vaguely in the direction of the wagon by setting the entire goddamn map on fire.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #286 on: September 15, 2013, 10:41:11 pm »

Yeahyeah, I get it, firemages as migrants/embark are bad. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 15, 2013, 11:39:42 pm »

Bah, Firemages as migrants are awesome, I like my fort randomly catching fire. That was not sarcastic, I really do find it hilarious.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 16, 2013, 12:12:51 am »

One of my original 7 was a lichking.... no fire to this sad ending though!!!!! :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #289 on: September 16, 2013, 05:35:28 am »

I like it too. Vanilla df almost never has any fires, I guess its simply because people are not used to them...  its like vampires. People find a vampire, wall it in as a bookkeeper or keep it as an emergency weapon, but firemages they let run around freely. maybe I can make them AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 16, 2013, 08:09:36 am »

Or give them a bonus to beekeeping. They probably can create soothing smoke an demand anyway.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #291 on: September 16, 2013, 11:23:19 am »

A bonus for beekeeping? To have firemages run around the surface, into ambushes and wildlife, while collecting hives? Thats... doesnt sound like the best idea. ^^

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 16, 2013, 11:28:15 am »

I like it too. Vanilla df almost never has any fires, I guess its simply because people are not used to them...  its like vampires. People find a vampire, wall it in as a bookkeeper or keep it as an emergency weapon, but firemages they let run around freely. maybe I can make them AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE.
My biggest problem is that I can't find a way to make them a useful part of my fortress. If one fire guy throwing a fireball kills everything on the map there's no point in having more than one fire guy and having supplementary forces is just an invitation to have those supplementary forces killed.

Fires won't be so bad if Toady gets around to establishing a more limited spread system.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #293 on: September 16, 2013, 11:49:24 am »

It only kills a lot if you play on a flat map. Seemingly most people do this, but a firemancer on a mountain barely does any damage, same counts for inside the fort... or caverns.

I could add a "pray for rain" reaction to the altars, this way you can at least stop the fire if you want.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2013, 02:56:34 pm »

Firebirds seem to like my fortresses, so I build firebreaks.  It's easy enough with the brick oven and they don't burn.  Surprisingly, "grass fires" can burn hot enough to deconstruct stone and metal bridges but the fire won't cross a line of bricks (or concrete, which is useful but not as pretty to look at).  Quadrants of firebreaks also keep the warlocks in line. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2013, 03:12:08 pm »

Damn gnolls, just stole my trade licenses.

on a side note - How do you stockpile these?
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2013, 04:00:53 pm »

Made an Orcish Babylon, promptly invaded by jealous elves.

"PULL THE DAMN LEVER!!!"x1000
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 16, 2013, 06:00:18 pm »

Damn gnolls, just stole my trade licenses.

on a side note - How do you stockpile these?

I never did figure this one out ( it's considered a type of soap but meh nothing in bars) but at least for trade licenses, build a place holder shop as soon as you get them. They are safer deep inside the fort as a work shop than sitting in some trade depot pining for a stockpile to call home, and you can always deconstruct said building to get the license back. Just keep them safe from random building destroyers. Then again you can always just dump the things to a safe spot and reclaim.

For the crates in general (and the stuff slow to get stock piled) I just ended up putting my trade depot past the initial line of turrets and animal defenses and barracks, in the fort proper.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 16, 2013, 08:51:02 pm »

yeah,  I know how to protect them, I just didn't do the dumping as I set up my fort.

I've been cheating my arse off lately just to try to get a fort far enough along to try the new features before Meph releases a new one or someone discovers a bug that requires a regen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 17, 2013, 05:52:51 am »

Goodness, what do you do with all those embark points? If you want a fast way to safeguard that wagon full of !infinity! without using haulers, dig a room underneath how ever many z levels you want wagon to end up and then channel collapse said wagon. Floor over the 5x5 hole you ended up making top side and boom, secured wagon. Helps if you spend some of those embark points on 25x blocks meant just for the roof. Might want to 5x5 stockpile said blocks close by before collapsing, if the path to wagon's final resting place isn't easily assessable.

Oh and make a meeting spot that's not the effing wagon! 8)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 113