Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191944 times)

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #255 on: September 02, 2013, 01:36:31 am »

Its creature interactions... a rare migrant is the cult leader, and he will slowly convert random dwarves in the fort into cult members.

See, that's what I thought, but the conversions continued even with my reclaim dwarves, where the random migrant cult leader would have been dead. I was wondering what was causing his or her influence to linger in that way.

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2013, 05:01:47 pm »

Friendmagic is about two years old and 52 dwarves strong. In one of my bored moments, I dug a tunnel straight down, weaving around caves, until I hit candy. Dug it up haphazardly, expecting the expected results. Was notified of clowns. Unpaused the game to let it all play out.

Nobody died. Only 15 clowns. (One of them being an adamantine beetle)

What the fuck? Is this luck or some feature of Masterwork? I feel cheated. Somebody seige me already.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2013, 05:53:24 pm »

What'd they do? Are they just chillin' in their tents?

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 02, 2013, 05:55:53 pm »

First there were about 20-30 or so. They've since wandered off elsewhere and all that's left are some acrobats chilling out underneath the hole.

I've re-assessed my situation and dumped all the candy in the middle of the fortress and since sealed up the shaft leading down.

I'll have to wait for a siege to have my fun.

Edit: Siege came. Fun had. Moving on.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:57:10 pm by Lottanubs »

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2013, 06:57:22 pm »

decided to chain the zombie hydra in the main meeting area and put fortifications all around it so no one would "accidentally" destroy the chain. While I was doing so the Drow diplomat wandered into the area then promptly fled the room, took me a little bit to figure out the only thing he could be doing a "runs for his life" from was the chained zombie hydra *lol*
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2013, 07:14:38 pm »

Everyone is drowsy at Boardslick. It's an epidemic. I can't stop it so I will let it run its course and just wait out the diagnosis fail spam as the patients get up and leave. I put down a carp cult awhile back. Having every member in the dining hall was handy as 40+ other dwarfs piled on them.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:33:28 pm by BigD145 »

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 03, 2013, 04:46:17 pm »

Nearly finished a cavern one to surface connecting tunnel to be used as a FB highway. I figure that will be easier than trying to deal with them underground, and if something serious shows up I can save it for a seige.

A second web spitting FB has also just arrived, so planning has begun to lure it into a second silk farm like the first. The very close call with the first, when the bridge blocking entrance into the fort closed 2 tiles before it got to it, will be reviewed. Hopefully something safer can be devised.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 04, 2013, 12:31:53 pm »

Second web FB successfully captured and added to silk industry. Forgotten Beast Clothes for all!

The FB highway has also been successfully used to break an Orc seige. Two emerged from the caverns and rushed towards the enemy across the map. After a quick detour to kick a Leatherwing bat pet into a wall, making it explode, they headed off to engage the enemy.

The first, a blob made of water with deadly dust, quickly exploded after slamming itself into the ground with the first blast of dust it let off.

The second however successfully engaged the enemy, and after my marksdwarves helped with the group of Giant Drowspider mounts one squad came with, was able to chase off and kill enough for the siege to break. Now all we have to do is deal with an enormous poisonous tarantula made of Manticore. A material that allowed it to fight three squads of Orcs without getting more than a handfull of yellow wounds. This should be interesting...

Ragabol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 05, 2013, 02:35:25 am »

Just started a new fort, first wave of migrants contained a pyromancer who announced his arrival by blowing up the migrant infront of him, setting the whole map on fire. few minutes later he blows up in the dining room and turns everything to ash but a book about himself written by himself..definitely a first in my fortresses

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 07, 2013, 10:51:16 am »

An artifact fur ten gallon hat has been made and given to the militia commander/sheriff.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 07, 2013, 07:56:37 pm »

One of these forts I will get past year 3. Really.

I tend to go to large, which means my defenses aren't in shape when the ambushes and sieges roll in. And I see how I could do it better, and decide to just do that, so another fort abandoned.

My current one is carved into the side of a ridge along a huge river. I mean the river is about 60 wide. I was pleased to see it flows when one of my hunters sent a slashed in half moleweasel about 15 squares out (or maybe it was swimming?) Blood was everywhere. And then when I unpaused it all gradually flowed north and off the map edge. I knew water flowed, but hadn't ever seen the effect on blood that way. Sadly, it didn't work on the moleweasel carcass. It's a skeleton on the bottom now.

I discovered there's a real problem with trying to wall in a pasture and outside farm area alongside a ridge. A goblin archer ambush turned up and used the high ground to shoot up my animals. Ok, lesson learned. Need room and high walls when doing that. Stuff in the shadow of the walls was okay. Stuff pretty far out in the center was being hit. Goblin bows have pretty decent range.

The white tigermen siege that turned up first was nothing in comparison. My hunters turned defense squad shot them up and drove them off. But they had no ranged weapons.

Also found out that there are gaps on the diagonal between raised bridges and walls. Need to extend the walls out to block those. A tusk oxen who should have been safe took a couple of bolts through that gap.

Ran into my first soggoths in one of my intended housing areas. I walled them in after my 19 skill miner died trying to fight them. He went through some sort of transformation in there too. Didn't save him.

And saw a vampire guild mage turn up. Guess they aren't like normal vampires as he died of thirst pretty fast when I locked him in a room. He sounded pretty deadly as a fighter, but didn't know how to use him reasonably safely and had too many other things to worry about to try.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2013, 02:44:04 am »

So you have problems with defense, but murder your own epic-mage fighter?  :o

Try the Stables for indoor feeding of grazers, that keeps them safer. :) And dont underestimate armored animals, a steelclad mastiff is better then low-level steel-armored dwarves you might have.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 08, 2013, 10:54:27 am »

OK, the library is worth it.

I’m still playing around with Bannerheart, a mature succession fortress because nobody else has picked it up.  “Skill up very quickly with the Library,” the manual says.  It isn’t linear and hadn’t seemed to me to be worth the time compared to just making goods.  “A legendary armorer is arguably the most valuable dwarf in the fortress” says vanilla Wiki and that’s perhaps true but for Masterwork mod, it seems to me a Weaponsmith is more valuable: good armor is good but better is not to be hit in the first place and in vanilla, the worst invaders are gobbos with iron.  Masterwork in a mature fortress faces Frost Giants with skills, good weapons, warbeasts with names and steel armor so, taking them out as soon as possible is best. 

Bannerheart’s best weaponsmith was level nine.  Not too bad, made decent weapons.  Reading ten smithing essays: level 14.26 => 14.34, not worth the time.  Second attempt with ten essays: 14.34 => 14.48.  But then there were books.  Reading ten books on smithing, nine became masterpieces: 14.48 => 15.37.  Ten more, 16.2  within a week
That’s level 9 to Legendary within a week.  A legendary weaponsmith not only makes better weapons but also very valuable trade goods (☼steel trap component☼ = 36K; mithril 68K, bifrost 151K).  That’s a waste of bifrost but I was curious.  In v.3h, the Drow came first winter with a dozen Books of Summonings; those would have been many legendary skills from the Colosseum if affordable. 

Now we’re skilling up the best armorsmith; I still want good volcanic breastplates. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

ranger22550

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2013, 01:03:13 pm »

setting up a temperate dessert river fort with some yellow brick walls turrets in the corners shooting through fortafaction armoks ward in the entrance and dining hall spike pitted moat with a dash of glass cages traps. need to get to magma layers to get some magma forges. BTW can turrets detect hidden enemies? cause my steel armor crates i made to trade to caravans have been stolen alot and i never see who does it i made the trade depo / area for trade shops. and the crates are there with patrols around the depo out by the map edge connected by tunnels..

so not much going on in my fort now that i can screen the demon babys only lost like 50 dwarfs so far not bad

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2013, 01:51:45 pm »

setting up a temperate dessert river fort with some yellow brick walls turrets in the corners shooting through fortafaction armoks ward in the entrance and dining hall spike pitted moat with a dash of glass cages traps. need to get to magma layers to get some magma forges. BTW can turrets detect hidden enemies? cause my steel armor crates i made to trade to caravans have been stolen alot and i never see who does it i made the trade depo / area for trade shops. and the crates are there with patrols around the depo out by the map edge connected by tunnels..

so not much going on in my fort now that i can screen the demon babys only lost like 50 dwarfs so far not bad

Turrets can detect enemies, but they are really bad at it. Aka, they need to be literally right beside it or damn near. I wouldn't rely on them for that. Just put two useless animals or such at your entrance (even babies). If a thief has to walk OVER an animal, it's from my experience, 99.99% likely to be caught, and a lot of cheap animals breed like crazy so losing a few babies a year won't hurt at all, and is cheap.

And losing 50 dwarves IS kind of bad ._.;
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 113