Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191945 times)

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2013, 01:56:13 pm »

setting up a temperate dessert river fort with some yellow brick walls turrets in the corners shooting through fortafaction armoks ward in the entrance and dining hall spike pitted moat with a dash of glass cages traps. need to get to magma layers to get some magma forges. BTW can turrets detect hidden enemies? cause my steel armor crates i made to trade to caravans have been stolen alot and i never see who does it i made the trade depo / area for trade shops. and the crates are there with patrols around the depo out by the map edge connected by tunnels..

so not much going on in my fort now that i can screen the demon babys only lost like 50 dwarfs so far not bad

Turrets can detect enemies, but they are really bad at it. Aka, they need to be literally right beside it or damn near. I wouldn't rely on them for that. Just put two useless animals or such at your entrance (even babies). If a thief has to walk OVER an animal, it's from my experience, 99.99% likely to be caught, and a lot of cheap animals breed like crazy so losing a few babies a year won't hurt at all, and is cheap.

And losing 50 dwarves IS kind of bad ._.;

ranger22550

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2013, 02:15:44 pm »

well the worlds called The lands of Death And Curses and i had a few mining "Accidents" some Cave Mishaps. a few gcs ate my dwarfs when it somehow got in my mines and i didnt notice it till i saw the bodies since i was in the middle of a seige. also i have a moat at he desert fort that freezes in the winter....... gotta love this game.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:07:52 pm by ranger22550 »

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2013, 08:43:33 pm »

I am trying to make soap so I can research the building that will let me make lye which will let me make soap.

I don't think I'm making much progress.

Edit: Just realised that the ashery is still a building that exists, oops.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:35:15 pm by Nat »

ranger22550

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2013, 09:21:41 pm »

I'm glad turrets ammo is infinite cause I'm being seiged by gnolls.... like 60 are around my gates and i have 4 turrets holding them back
 8)i just hope enough of them die before the river ices over in my desert outpost. Got a bullet turret in each corner with fortified walls to shoot through and 2 above my gate in the open till i get enough marble to Floor off the roof wall it in fortified some pillboxes along the road I'm building for caravans i need to channel some lava as a moat since this water is freezing Evey late Autumn till early spring all in all just another normal dwarf fort day  ;D

thefish1992

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 09, 2013, 12:22:47 pm »

I have just been invited to migrate by a FB

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While i do have some useless dwarves to send, im not sure what fortress sent the request. :P
Dwarven science. A logical solution, to a illogical problem.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 09, 2013, 12:34:11 pm »

It's getting even more similiar to FaceBook.
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 09, 2013, 02:18:47 pm »

Druid among the starting seven. Head smashed by a buzzard.
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 10, 2013, 09:33:01 am »

OK, the library is worth it.
Bannerheart’s best weaponsmith was level nine.  Not too bad, made decent weapons.  Reading ten smithing essays: level 14.26 => 14.34, not worth the time.  Second attempt with ten essays: 14.34 => 14.48.  But then there were books.  Reading ten books on smithing, nine became masterpieces: 14.48 => 15.37.  Ten more, 16.2  within a week

The armorsmith has gone from level 6 to 16.2 (Legendary +1) in ten weeks reading books.   As soon as he wakes up, there are a dozen masterpieces waiting.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 10, 2013, 08:54:03 pm »

Decided I was going to finally get a scriptorium working.  Spent a ton of time struggling with how to make ink, where do I get jugs, where are they stockpiled, making paper, figuring out where to get glue from, where the hell do I get feathers, etc, etc.   Totally invested in this, cause I must learn this.  This is science.

So focused was I on this goal I forgot I had a warlock spy in my peasantry, he turned and slaughtered a few of my favorite crafters.  I also didn't pay attention to the FB in the caverns who flew up my well, slaughtering more of my dwarves before dying.  Lastly, I finally got close to making a single book when I noticed my front gate was closed, not remembering why because I had just spent 2 hours trying to make a freaking book in dwarf fortress like some limey elf, I opened it.   Then the white tigermen invaders came in.   

By the time all was said and done I walled off a portion of my fortress with my stockpiles with 6 dwarves left alive.   But we didn't give up.  Oh no.  We pooled our resources and we made that book...and then I gave up.

But I now know how scriptoriums work.

The_Draf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2013, 05:42:07 am »

Decided I was going to finally get a scriptorium working.  Spent a ton of time struggling with how to make ink, where do I get jugs, where are they stockpiled, making paper, figuring out where to get glue from, where the hell do I get feathers, etc, etc.   Totally invested in this, cause I must learn this.  This is science.

So focused was I on this goal I forgot I had a warlock spy in my peasantry, he turned and slaughtered a few of my favorite crafters.  I also didn't pay attention to the FB in the caverns who flew up my well, slaughtering more of my dwarves before dying.  Lastly, I finally got close to making a single book when I noticed my front gate was closed, not remembering why because I had just spent 2 hours trying to make a freaking book in dwarf fortress like some limey elf, I opened it.   Then the white tigermen invaders came in.   

By the time all was said and done I walled off a portion of my fortress with my stockpiles with 6 dwarves left alive.   But we didn't give up.  Oh no.  We pooled our resources and we made that book...and then I gave up.

But I now know how scriptoriums work.

Yea, first time is a bitch. The same goes for researching. Dont know if it is fixed in later version but in 0.3g I dont a popup if research failes. I would love something like that because right now it is hard to miss if a research project fails and you have to reorder it.

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 11, 2013, 06:54:26 am »

Gave up on my dwarf fort due to not able to figure out how to make an architecture blueprint. I was making ink and paper but it was just stuck in the 10 reactions...  Does anyone know how stockpile research plans and blueprints so I can check on my inventory?
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 11, 2013, 07:59:33 am »

Yea, first time is a bitch. The same goes for researching. Dont know if it is fixed in later version but in 0.3g I dont a popup if research failes. I would love something like that because right now it is hard to miss if a research project fails and you have to reorder it.

Still doesn't give you a notification in 3h, I've been meaning to make the suggestion for an announcement on failure.

Gave up on my dwarf fort due to not able to figure out how to make an architecture blueprint. I was making ink and paper but it was just stuck in the 10 reactions...  Does anyone know how stockpile research plans and blueprints so I can check on my inventory?

just start the "design a building blueprint" and the rest of the blueprint steps happen automatically. 
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 11, 2013, 08:32:45 am »

If you create a stockpile for finished goods and look under the "Stone/Clay" type you will find subtypes for library goods, blueprints and researcher supplies and pretty much anything of that type.   

Also, you can look under the 'tools' section of the stock screen and lots of that info is there. 

Unfortunately every researched building is named the same '(researcher supplies) rare breakthroughs in science' so you'll have no idea which buildings you've researched or how many copies of the breakthtough you have per building by looking at the stocks screen or the stockpile.  Each building requires it's own copy of the breakthrough.   The best way I can figure to keep track is either to keep notes of how many you've ordered of each, or just try to build the building and when selecting materials it'll tell you how many copies you have.  If I'm about to use the last breakthrough for a building, I order the researcher to make a copy of it first just in case.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #283 on: September 11, 2013, 10:07:10 am »

Next version wont have blueprints, I deleted the architect, and I give the science discoveries each a specific name, so you can tell them apart. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 11, 2013, 10:59:30 am »

Meph, you rock. 
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 113