Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325416 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #1755 on: November 06, 2013, 12:37:44 am »

Perhaps the game is doing something silly, like trying to load objects into that sector that simply don't exist, yet it insists MUST be there?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:44:15 am by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: November 06, 2013, 06:24:39 pm »

I believe the server has crashed while trying to handle a three-way battle between Oblivion, the pirates, and the trade guild in my homeworld's orbit.  I probably didn't help things by starting to hollow out the planet.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1758 on: November 06, 2013, 08:09:25 pm »

Its up now

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: November 06, 2013, 09:54:05 pm »

Kadzar: I didn't realize the size of the ship when I was making it. Now that I see how it turned out, I might have wanted to rename it.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: November 06, 2013, 11:08:53 pm »

Well you can always rename it with a faction module. (I'm pretty sure the name will even stick around if you remove the faction module afterwards, though I don't know for sure.)
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: November 06, 2013, 11:59:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Early in-progress screen of what I'm doing on a private server. It will have a few turrets to protect itself.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: November 07, 2013, 12:15:00 am »

So purdy.

And I bet you could fit a very nice interior in there when you're done. If you're having trouble thinking of things to put in, think maintenance tunnels and horizontal gravity elevators (the latter especially would nice for traveling around in something that big).
Glory to Arstotzka!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: November 07, 2013, 12:44:49 am »

What I find most useful for getting around is actually just the ship core module. Using a few very large hallways (7x7 or something? I dunno) you could safely navigate the vessel via ship core, maybe a core + power gen and 1 thruster.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: November 07, 2013, 04:24:34 am »

Yeah, but I personally find it annoying to have to spawn a ship, get in it, go to your destination, get out, then have to delete the core, all just for regular transportation. Plus gravity elevators require a 7x7 wide shaft and are mostly empty except at the bottom, so you could still fly a core down there if need be. And I wonder if gravity might  possibly be faster than a core (no idea actually; testing would need to be done).

And actually, the absolute fastest method of transportation is teleporting, easily achievable by entering a docked core and pressing left or right arrow keys to move to another docked core and getting out. Now, previously, doing this had the issue of you possibly going into one of your turrets and turning off the AI, but, since the current build introduced chain-docking, I believe there is better way.

If you just docked a teleport system ship inside your ship, you could teleport to any core docked on the system with no worry of accidentally going into a turret or another docked ship (unless you placed the ship dock on the teleport system platform). Now, your teleporters could only be placed in straight lines since docking areas can only be made in box shapes, but this means you don't have to have directions near the teleporter which way you'll go when pressing the arrow keys (since it can get very confusing otherwise). Or you could just build your whole interior on the teleport system, then put engines and shields on it to make it a giant escape pod. Then make your teleport pads (the docked ships you travel between) into smaller escape pods. It's double redundancy and it will confuse your enemy.
Glory to Arstotzka!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: November 09, 2013, 11:58:27 am »

Hey guys, I've been working on the Vanguard this week, and it's primary weapon system is finished!  I'm not the greatest at calculating DPS, but it cored a Nexus in around a second of sustained fire from the rear.  Of course it's over 600m long and turns like a loaded garbage scow.  I am now certain that the ship will include a dock for the Eidolon in it's hangar section, tho' the exact mechanics of that are likely to be difficult.  I'm hoping today to get the first deck of the main hull completed, and possibly the docking bay as well.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: November 10, 2013, 11:22:27 am »

Nice Kadz, I like the bulk of the vessel, and the purple is very chic.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: November 10, 2013, 02:04:18 pm »

That is nice. I think, though, that if you run out of ideas for what to do with all those extra decks you should convert them to shield disperser bays.
I make Spellcrafts!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: November 10, 2013, 06:12:18 pm »

Aw, thanks guys. The ship is meant to fulfill a practical role, in conveying my stealth ship to pirate stations, but I also want to make it look as nice as possible. As for stuff in the deck, more shields might be good (though I probably have enough now to shrug off pirate attacks), though I'm wondering if it would be worth it to put in some power tanks (assuming I can find enough for it to be worth it.

Oh, and speaking of pirates, does anyone have any opinions on preserving stations? 'Cause when this thing is done I plan to clear out a few, and I want to know if we want to keep a few around in the general area so people can still fight them, or if it would be better if the sectors around spawn were pirate free so we have a safe zone. I've got a few coordinates down of areas near 0,0,0 from attacks while I've been building the ship, and I can either take those down or move farther out depending on what people prefer.
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 181