Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325434 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #1725 on: October 28, 2013, 03:00:10 pm »

So, I finally got around to downloading Starmade to try it out.  Started up a single-player game, went through the (actually surprisingly helpful) tutorial, thought "okay, I get it", started to fly off towards a nearby asteroid...and got blown up.

Pirates.  Dozens of them.  Swarming around the shop where I spawn.  And, after half a dozen attempts of trying various methods of escape, I've had to give up.  I'm out of credits, all my ship cores have been blown up and I can't afford any more, and I can't get to an asteroid to (I assume) mine more stuff and sell it.

Does anybody know how to reset/regen a single-player world?   :(  Also, have I simply been abominably unlucky in how this has started off for me, or is this normal?

Edit: jeez.  Okay, found out how to reset the world.  Did it, started up afresh, built a ship, flew off...and suddenly, pirates, bazillions of them.  I get blown out of the sky before I can even react.  I may be destined to not go to space today.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:17:51 pm by jhxmt »
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: October 28, 2013, 04:07:57 pm »

Server needs an update, I really want to get back into starmade.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1727 on: October 28, 2013, 04:28:41 pm »

updating now

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: October 28, 2013, 04:55:38 pm »

Is it finished being updated? Also, that was my ship Kadzar took the picture of  ;).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1729 on: October 28, 2013, 05:01:35 pm »

Is it finished being updated? Also, that was my ship Kadzar took the picture of  ;).
Its up now, yes

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: October 28, 2013, 05:10:43 pm »

Okay, am I seriously missing something simple here?  Because my attempts to start up in Starmade seem to consist of (a) start game, (b) build small, weak vessel from the materials and buying-credits I have to hand, (c) fly off to seek more materials, (d) encounter pirates in huge numbers, (e) be unable to run from said pirates or do any damage whatsoever, (f) die.   :P

How do you all survive in early game?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: October 28, 2013, 05:15:36 pm »

Okay, am I seriously missing something simple here?  Because my attempts to start up in Starmade seem to consist of (a) start game, (b) build small, weak vessel from the materials and buying-credits I have to hand, (c) fly off to seek more materials, (d) encounter pirates in huge numbers, (e) be unable to run from said pirates or do any damage whatsoever, (f) die.   :P

Use the navigation menu often to find stations and stay far, far away from pirates.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: October 28, 2013, 05:56:08 pm »

There's an option to turn off pirates in the launcher, it makes everything much easier.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: October 28, 2013, 06:22:11 pm »

You can set some sectors as protected. Or, you can use the ship designs admin panel to remove the pirates' permissions for ships so they have nothing to spawn. You can even cheat yourself free blocks or money, if they're still being a pain.

If pirates are being a nuisance the easiest way (without admin abilities) to avoid being shot to pieces is to buy a radar jammer and more power generators, arrange the power generators in a line, and put the radar jammer on your ship and turn it on (you have to bind it with T before you can turn it on). Add power generators until the jammer can remain on continuously, then add some more so it doesn't go off when you use your thrusters or fire your scavengers/guns/etc.

The pirates should leave you alone while you have a jammer running (other players can see you, but you will not be visible on radar). Note that there is a maximum mass above which it is impossible to generate enough power to maintain permanent radar jamming even if 100% of the ship were power generators in an optimal configuration, and if you start building capital ships you will eventually reach this limit.

Edit: I haven't played in a while, so if radar jamming doesn't make them ignore you anymore, try a cloaking device instead.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:25:41 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: October 28, 2013, 07:56:20 pm »

From my experience last night, both seem to work so long as you have at least one of them running. Which could be helpful since it's easier to make a very small ship that is perma-cloaked or perma-jammed than one that does both and can move. Though it's not hard to make something perma-both and mobile so long as you make sure all of your power arrays are at least 3x3x3 in every axis.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: November 02, 2013, 10:40:26 am »

Hey guys, still having problems with the server (I think this one is network related, because nothing I've tried works at all), but I'm still chugging along in SP, recently started Oblivion's newest weapon of server-ending nightmare class, the Vanguard, over 200 meters already and she's a little under 1/3 complete, and all of that work has been in her engine section.  It looks like I'm finally going to have to develop some support vessels just to finish her, especially a ship for moving her turrets (oh, gods, the turrets.)  Her incomplete drive section will have over 30 turrets, including 4 sweeper CIWS turrets, 24 hammer anti-ship turrets, and at least 4 as yet undeveloped capital-class turrets.  The main hull (central 1/3 of the ship, another 200m+ section) will mount 12 super-capital turrets and an as yet to be determined number of anti-ship and CIWS turrets.  The final 200+ meters of ship will be devoted to Vanguard's main weapon system, an AMC of idiotic proportions, I'll try to post some pics when I'm further along (and if anyone is still reading the thread).
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: November 02, 2013, 10:43:53 am »

Fun. :3
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: November 02, 2013, 10:51:37 am »

More like !!FUN!!, she's got 8.3 BILLION energy storage, produces 7.7 million EPS, has just shy of 4 million shields and the engine section is only about 90% done (500K thrust too, her acceleration is insane).  I figure once she's actually done her capabilities will be unrealistic to say the least, I'm considering adding a dock for the Eidolon below the main cannon once I get there.  Vanguard is going to be absolutely evil when finished (and probably unpurchaseable without admin privileges, her credit/block cost is going to be ridiculous)

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: November 02, 2013, 12:59:44 pm »

Hey guys, still having problems with the server (I think this one is network related, because nothing I've tried works at all).

Are you sure you have the right version? The server hasn't updated yet.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: November 02, 2013, 01:11:59 pm »

It's not a version problem, I can log on fine, but after a few minutes (10-20) my ping goes berserk.  It fluctuates from 68-4000, then my client begins spamming me with server does not respond messages, then I get d'conned with a socket exception error.  If my socket were the problem I wouldn't even be able to get on, so it's not on my end (as far as I can tell, if someone knows how to observe the connection status in real time tell me), and if Forsaken's server were the culprit more people would get d'conned, so it looks like something network related.

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 181