Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325607 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

This just got my attention, but how is it different from all the other "minecraft in space" in development, that seem to be taking forever to get anywhere? Any indication this might go the same way? Considering it at the current $3 :)

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but their website isn't the best and I can't wade through 64 pages :(

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it took forever to get anywhere

but then we raised the speed limit

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE- okay that was silly

basically it is going to take forever to go anywhere but it looks like moddability's a priority here so i'm not writing this off as a loss just yet

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Least you have a base. Austar Shipyards only has two ships. One in my possesion, and one that fucked off somewhere when I crashed. No AI in it or anything. If anyone finds a ship named Drakk_Heavy_Fighter or Flikka_Light_Fighter, let me know which sector.

I've seen Flikka_Light_Fighter around, although I can't recall where. But it's probably still intact...

I have recently gotten my personal desktop with the kickass processor and graphics card online, and have been more able to enjoy this game, sans sounds because the sound card on the motherboard doesnt want to work.

I made some adjustments to my arsenal of potential combat vessels. I now have a pair of gunboats, one ~197 mass and one ~98 mass, with 20-odd turrets apiece:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A missile cruiser of roughly 287 mass, and a larger battlecruiser of about 1400 mass (and 32 turret docks!)

I even made a "battleship", for what it's worth:

It has a single large AMC and 7 BB missile tubes, but it's pretty damn slow and probably doesn't have much resembling an impressive shield system. Still working on it, though, and it will undoubtedly get even heavier as I go. Also thinking about equipping it with more turret hardpoints, just to increase it's potential for self-defense and pain-infliction. It can only dock ridiculously small craft in the hangar...

I've never flown any of these ships into a serious fight sans the fighter in the battlecruiser's dock against 6-7 pirates on the server, 2-3 of which had better shields, mobility, and firepower (not the wraiths, medium fighters and banshees; they're all wimps.) Lost 4-5 ships before I'd dealt with them all. I've done some work on it since. I also recently used the light gunboat versus some pirates in solo play, which managed to do some minor damage, despite their failing to disable the ship or any of it's turrets.

I've also learned that when using missiles, since they cant outpace their target (even when the server's speed limit is set to 50 km/h) you have to lock on, fire them, then fly out around and behind the target so that it's between you and the missiles, and attempt to corral it into the oncoming warheads. This isn't too difficult in a fighter or my light gunboat, but I suspect that the only reasonable targets for a larger ship are equally large cruisers and up into capitol ships. Preferably whilst they're stationary or nearly so.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

If it was purple and looked like a V, then it's the Flikka_Light_Fighter. The Drakk was a long tube of blue.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Havent been able to relocate it, but I did find an undisturbed pirate base (not for long!) and a ship resting outside a shop in (1,-2,0) named "Squasher." Looks like someone's salvaged parts from it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've destroyed fighters with missiles before. Usually just KB missiles because locking on with BBs is too difficult (KBs tend to occasionally - okay, frequently, when there isn't something red around - mistarget, but a small swarm is no threat to larger ships).

Of course your pirates are no threat at all, unless they use uploaded ships or you've upgraded them in the last few days.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

There are some pretty big ships in the large swarms - well, pretty big in comparison. There's one that looks like an ion cannon frigate, for instance. I'm not sure if those ever attack in raids. But pirate stations are in general pushovers, especially for how much loot they provide. They need some serious backup, a few really big ships and a swarm of fighters guarding them.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I've twice  now gotten into firefights with their larger ship variants. They're capable of bringing down a poorly-designed fighter or frigate, but not a decent cruiser or larger vessel.

Also... Whoever owned the "Aldi_Stardestroyer" blueprint... I'm sorry. So very, very sorry!

I spawned one just to take a peak, and poked it with a block, causing the server to decide that it needs to delete the blueprint because it's been "modified." I resaved it as aldi_stardestroyer again, but it looks like your blueprint got wiped, so you might have to spawn and resave it under your name again.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:15:16 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I keep running into pirates, but have yet to find any that even look as large as my medium fighters (which are 11x11x11 cubes, more or less), or even pose a threat to my light fighter (the Bee), even if I fly into the middle of four or five of them, which is kind of sad because it's trashed by two shots from my medium fighter (the Wasp). Which probably none of you can see in the designs list unless you happen to find one of them, because I believe I set them to faction only.

... Of course I'm in a faction named 'Pirates', and I'm tempted to declare war on everyone and toss ships around that aren't defeatable merely by opening an umbrella in their general direction. But I also get the impression that not everyone has built ships that are anywhere near as capable, and even my ships don't have the shield strength to withstand their own firepower for more than a few seconds, but that's mainly because AMCs remained the same in the last patch) could knock down its own shield in less than 4 seconds (and if you had 2 million shield capacity, it would still only take around 10 seconds) - and that doesn't include the 13.6k dps (each) turrets, which pretty much means the only way to get close is to either be a heavily shielded warship, in which case you can't dodge well enough to avoid the main guns, or to be cloaked. The main guns are chiefly powerful by having lots and lots of AMC blocks, though, not by using checkerboarding. (And by using power tanks to store enough power to fire them for a reasonable amount of time before having to stop to recharge.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've twice  now gotten into firefights with their larger ship variants. They're capable of bringing down a poorly-designed fighter or frigate, but not a decent cruiser or larger vessel.

Also... Whoever owned the "Aldi_Stardestroyer" blueprint... I'm sorry. So very, very sorry!

I spawned one just to take a peak, and poked it with a block, causing the server to decide that it needs to delete the blueprint because it's been "modified." I resaved it as aldi_stardestroyer again, but it looks like your blueprint got wiped, so you might have to spawn and resave it under your name again.

That was mine. My Uncle plays (only singleplayer though) and found it on the Starforge site and said I needed to see it. But I probably won't reupload it to the server.

I'll probably just leave it on my computer. The Stardestroyer is like 300 meters long or something crazy, and my Uncle had to reset (complete to new) his singleplayer world because it was too big lol. He hit a pirate station with it, and it broke his game :P
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Well, alright then. I'll just leave it up on my list, though.

Also, Forsaken: could you possibly disable that blueprint modification dialogue or something so it doesn't delete players' blueprints if someone else gets ahold of one and pokes it?

Thirdly: I created two new characters/factions, Harpy_Marauders and Greyskins_Blight, which are permanently at war with each other, and are both public factions. If someone wants to set up a little fleet fight you can temporarily join either of these. Just create a new character perhaps and give them a box full of valuables to sell, then join the faction and start spawning ships and activating AI. Probably should do that out of range of the other faction. they're both set up to declare war on hostilities, so you can presumably set up a fleet from inside one of these factions, leave and hop in one of your ships, shoot them a couple times and kite them towards a fleet you set up. They both also have a home base, but I haven't built anything on them yet.
I make Spellcrafts!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Also, Forsaken: could you possibly disable that blueprint modification dialogue or something so it doesn't delete players' blueprints if someone else gets ahold of one and pokes it?
er... if you tell me how I'd be glad to.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Er... You need to be told how to look in the server.cfg?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Er... You need to be told how to look in the server.cfg?

Maybe he didn't know it was in there!
I make Spellcrafts!

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile

I'm soo ready to join you guys on the server. Also I would like to see if there's a way to show who's on before logging onto the server.

Even though this is alpha and there will be more content, I would like to have more than two options for weapons, and I've really seen only AMC's at the moment. I would like to see a few more in ranges of something like a Plasma Lance. It would look the same as a salvage beam, but instead of having it fire forever with enough power regen, make it a VERY power hungry system. Have a few options like longer the block line longer or more powerful the beam will be. Maybe if you line it side by side with another line have it last longer per click.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 181