Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325599 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

If that actually generated trader guild ships from all the necessary shops to deliver to your build site I would love that idea.

I'm just not a fan of having to gather up all those materials myself, which seems to be the most popular solution on the main forums.  This is a trading guild, which implies all the shops are working together.  I should be able to tell them what I want to build and have them deliver the necessary stuff to me, not me have to bring the stuff to them.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

updating the server. Should be up sooner or later

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

So work continues on my space galleon, though I think now I'm just going to use what I've learned so far to build a new ship from scratch, since I've realized that the sails should be in front of the ship, instead of to the side of it, and I'd like to move my ship core, and there doesn't seem to be any sort of method in this game to move a large amount of blocks at once.

So anyway, my ship got torn to hell by pirates while I was afk, so I decided to just gen up a new world and import it in. But once I'd finally gathered up enough credits to buy it back, which entailed hiding from pirates in an ice cave as I frantically mined mined crystal, their lasers rhythmically drilling though the ice toward my vulnerable little harvest craft, I encountered the bug where you buy a ship and get nothing in return. Once I'd found a fix, I didn't have any money left to buy it or any of my other ships to test, so I decided to just use the console command to spawn in a boatload of cash, and from there decided to just start spawning in items as needed.

I found having a thin hull covering on the front adequately protects the "sails" from getting torn to hell. Now I just need some advice on designing proper armaments, cuz what I got ain't cutting it.

Also, for the future I'm thinking I'll need a small repairs ship, which I shall name "Carpenter_Bob"; I'll also need a rowboat for landing on my base when I build it; and somehow I need to incorporate the SD Cockpit as part of a figurehead.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Missile systems suck as turrets unless yer planning on manning them yourself, the AI cannot use them. 

Missiles inflict ludicrous damage taking huge chunks out of the opposing ship.  ...Except they only do that when the shields are down or very weak, missiles do not damage shields and need to be able to completely overcome the shields in a single shot if you want them to do damage.  Also the AI can't use them.  I hear they can use the red dumbfire rockets, but no missiles.

Other than that Antimatter cannons are the go to weapon.  They are capable of damaging shields while still doing damage to hull.  Their big failing is that no matter the damage a single AM shot can only ever destroy one block at a time.  There is no overpenetration.  But in huge non connected arrays they can still rip out big chunks of hull, and the AI actually knows how to use them.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Sufficient numbers of large AMC cannons can drill through a target every bit as effectively as a couple missiles. Of course nothing is quite as humorous as taking hemispherical shark bites out of opposing craft with a battery of rockets. :D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

I think if you've got damaged panels like that, removing them in build mode destroys the block (or has a chance to) instead of picking it up. Might be better to use a repair beam.

Of course, it could've been lag causing the blocks I picked up to disappear.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, the AI only can't use BB missiles.

I just did this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26452959/starmade-screenshot-0061.jpg

I built a turret wrong, so I put it on a regular docking module instead, so it was facing forward, then turned on the AI, and it aims and fires but does not appear to turn at all. I'm fighting some pirates in the screenshot, and by fighting I mean flying around a ridiculously small ship with a much larger turret mounted to a regular docking module, while the turret kills them for me (and the KB missiles occasionally decide to fly at me, but they seem unable to collide with me or the turret). It was remarkably effective, as the pirates only shot at the turret and never even hit me at all.

Missiles have very low DPS compared to AMCs, but KB and BB missiles are very effective at taking out ships with weak or no shields if the core is accessible or you have sufficient missiles to drill down to it. KB missiles will target whatever the hell they want, though, including friendlies and neutrals.

P.S. This was in the first update today: "missiles now display and update shield hits correctly on the client"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Huh, so in that way you could have stationary broadside cannons? Interesting...
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok so I finally got to try the recipe system.

Edit for less rage

I am severely disappointed, and am no longer able to restock any shops anywhere with a factory.  Hope everyone made some materiel cube blueprints.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:39:03 pm by Greiger »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I saved a ship on catalogue when playing single player, would I be able to load/buy it when I join a multiplayer server?

Also is there a way to move ship core once you have built the ship?

This game so addictive. I spent 4 hours building my first large scale ship last night, an unarmed salvage corvette inspired by human ships in Swords of the Stars... would have continued if I didnt have to work in the morning.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

You can load a singleplayer ship into multiplayer, for that you have to save the singleplayer ship to the local catalog (it's a separate button). Make the name something you can easily remember, because the list display for the local catalog sucks. Once in multiplayer, use the other separate button to load it from the local catalog.

And no, can't move the ship core.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, you seem to be able to just save normally in singleplayer and it goes in your catalog (e.g. is uploadable elsewhere). The save to local catalog button is for when you're playing on an online server. (Also if you open the StarMade blueprints folder you can see the names of all your designs, which helps when you have to type one in to upload it to a server)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:48:24 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's what I found: singleplayer catalog goes strait to the blueprints folder in the install directory, and you can upload from there/read the names off the folders within.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the answer guys. Where do you usually put your ship core? Is it in the bridge or on a protected spot accessible from the outside?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile

Usually in the center of the ship to keep it protected but have it ready to be accessible when needed.

By the way I have been busy on it so here's a little teaser of a WIP...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still far from finished but I hope someone likes it.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 181