Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519545 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3615 on: November 15, 2016, 03:41:31 am »

I've been playing a little Grim Dawn lately as a stress reliever. After giving up and cheating in a few items to complete one character (out of 5 max-levels), I did some grinding of the Crucible DLC. It's kind of a PvE arena mode, where you take on waves of monsters for mad lewtz yo.

There's 150 waves, you can cash out early the but reward for finishing anything less than 150 is a waste of time.

So, there's something around wave 140 and 149 that just kills any character I have, with any amount of tankiness, in under a second. I have no idea what it is, where it's from, or why it happens, but I can just about stand there in one spot for any other single wave. Not those, instant death to my high-health sword and board max-resistance character.

Just chiming it, coz it feels like the unbalanced boss shit we're talking about now.

In my current game I find one of the things that kills me the fastest is those area of effect pits that some enemies cast. Not because the pit does a lot of damage but because they cast about 3 on you, one after another. Even as a tank I have to keep moving to spread them out.
Having the abilities that activate when you hit a low percentage of health helps. I think one is called "Bulwark of Menheir".
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: November 15, 2016, 07:21:42 pm »

System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games ever, hands down, so keep that in mind as I proceed to complain about it.
I actually really enjoyed playing it the past few days, it just has imperfections...

Tiny enemies you have to crouch to hit, especially when it really looks like you have plenty of reach.
* Somewhat justified in that the wrench is very short range, the sword and crystal shard are significantly longer...  but still sometimes miss absurdly.

Tiny enemies which "poison" you, in the worst way:  Poison *NEVER* wears off without using up a pretty unusual chem.  So often it's better just to let yourself die and be cloned.
* Mitigated in that you can buy the antidotes at a few points, and they only take up 1 space.
**  UNMITIGATED in that certain tiny worm-piles will inflict this poison as well, and are completely invincible (unless you research and use a very rare implant in order to EAT them off the floor.)
***  The player character often slips along sloped ground, too, and sometimes they put those worm piles in doorways such that you have to awkwardly hop over them.  These are *tiny* piles, diameter about a foot.  It would be trivial to step over them.

Sorta related, the game is dark as fuck, there's no flashlight, and the gamma adjustment doesn't work in windowed mode
* Mitigated/almost worse in that windowed mode is unsupported, requiring an INI tweak.  It is an old game though.
I ended up using Psi Set Yourself On Fire a lot simply for the light source.  (Also it was kinda handy for clearing egg clutches)

Completely invincible "swarms" enemies that you just have to run away from for a while.
* Of course, you can just destroy the eggs from a range.
** Except that they're often literally around blind corners, including jumping down into them
** Also you can harvest healing items from the eggs IF you don't blow them up.  Sometimes.

A really cool map system which lets you take notes and provides a decent minimap!
* It's gone for the ENTIRE SECOND HALF
** Quarter 3 is an absurdly dark, incredibly *vertical* ship full of turrets and enemies that excel at ambush.
***  There's a respawn point but it's over halfway in
***  Why do the maintenance tunnels have this many rocket-launcher turrets?  Why do they have ANY ROCKET-LAUNCHER TURRETS
** Quarter 4 is brighter but the walls are all samey fleshy pink, it's a maze with interconnecting branches, plus you have to swim through unexplained radiation zones ASAP (hope you stocked up on rad-x, that mechanic basically only comes up one other time near the start of the game!)
At least you can still drop nav beacons into the world like breadcrumbs.

Useful magic psi buffs for a reasonable resource cost...  Except you have to manually recast them, and you cannot bind them to hotkeys.  To get to the tier 1 psi shield, you have to first equip the psi-amp then hit F1 until it comes up.  Then charge it into the zone, unless you want it to end sooner.
* Okay now do that for the other two shields and the fire aura and maybe agility and fuck, being a mage psionic is suffering

A cool in-universe respawn mechanic which should defeat quicksave/quickload.  I love that in games!
* Except basically everything above makes you quicksave/quickload constantly.
* Also you have to find the respawn devices, which are typically several rooms away from the zone transition.
* Shoot, there just aren't any in the final quarter of the game anyway.
* And hell if I'm wandering through the pitch dark 3rd quarter 3D maze just because I crawled out of a maintenance shaft into two laser turrets and two shuriken assassins who killed me, literally, in less than a second despite me having powered armor and 5/6 stamina.

OH RIGHT I almost forgot that some of the poisonous spiders are translucent.  I actually didn't notice at first because the level was so dark, I was basically locating them by sound anyway.  They're pretty loud.

Also the spiders specifically give you three tiers of toxin, which requires two hypos of antitox.  For some reason.
Also also, ahehe, ONCE a spider dropped an antitox hypo.  Literally once.  I think it might have been a preset spawn.

OKAY LAST BIG PET PEEVE ABOUT SYSTEM SHOCK 2:
I wish there was a nonstandard game over where Shodan wins.  Even/especially if it's "accidental", like in System Shock 1...

Credit to http://it-he.org , the best source of horrifically wrong screenshot LPs of Ultima, Morrowind, Deus Ex, Thief, and some "newer" stuff like Fallout NV and Oblivion but the old stuff is better really.

No Thi4f, I think he's insisting that game never existed.
Actually yeah there's another pet peeve, fricken Thief and Doom and Prince of Persia and XBOX ONE arrrgh WHY
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:23:52 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: November 15, 2016, 07:36:03 pm »

My major complaint about System Shock 2 is that...

Shodan's voice always hinted to me that she could be corrupt in some way... but the second game just goes "Nope! she just likes talking in a creepy voice for no reason"

In fact a lot about System Shock 2 kind of takes away from Shodan... in a disappointingly dinky way.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: November 15, 2016, 07:54:04 pm »

Shodan's voice always hinted to me that she could be corrupt in some way... but the second game just goes "Nope! she just likes talking in a creepy voice for no reason"
I didn't jump to that conclusion but...  I think I see how you did?  What with her
Regardless, I get the impression she is totes glitchy.
I never played much of SS1 though, it didn't run on Dosbox playably and now I'm waiting on the remake.  I did enjoy the it-he walkthrough of it though!
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: November 15, 2016, 07:55:22 pm »

-snirp-

I don't recall ever being poisoned, in a situation where I wouldn't just call it quits and quickload anyway. I quit my run shortly after I got the Crystal Shard though, so maybe I'm missing out on a really horrific section.

What bothered me most about the map (at least on a modern screen with a modern resolution) is that the text is entirely too tiny, not to mention the icons. The text is also the same color as the map IIRC so good luck finding anywhere to actually write your notes.

I've never actually used the respawn chambers. If I die I'd rather just load my last save, since I already used resources on a failed attempt and get sent back a long, long distance.

The thing that annoys me the most about System Shock 2 is that its bangin' techno soundtrack is in the wrong game. I play with the music off because it's distracting and not at all fitting. Nothing's really missing from the soundscape as a result, either.

Actually, nevermind, there's something else that bothers me about SS2:

Games where you have to savescum until you completely memorize the best strategy

SS2 isn't nearly as bad at this as say, ARMA, but it's still present. Especially in the early game, wasting a bunch of ammo to get to a useless area or losing health to a stupid misstep can be a world of hurt, so it's best to just reload and try again rather than press on.

I have a love-hate relationship with this sort of design. It feels kind of like cheating to just quicksave/quickload until you get every step perfectly right, but then... how else is the game supposed to be difficult?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:12:55 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: November 16, 2016, 02:57:18 am »

When stealth games actively encourage save-scumming by punishing you if you make the smallest slip-up and forces you to fight your way out.

I mean, look, I understand you want 'realism' but let's be honest here, these idiots already sit and chill out after they can't find me for 5 minutes, can't I actually be able to recover my messed up stealthness without having the SWAT team, sneeple, and SCP Mobile Task Force "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" Alpha-Seven-Six converging on my position?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: November 16, 2016, 10:53:49 am »

When stealth games actively encourage save-scumming by punishing you if you make the smallest slip-up and forces you to fight your way out.

It's why I actively avoid stealth lobbies in Payday 2.  One guy makes one mistake, and you restart the mission, often multiple times.  And most builds based around stealth are not suited to fight.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: November 22, 2016, 10:44:26 pm »

I remember picking up the Star Control collection boxed set (1 and 2, the good ones). The first one was cracked but the second required you to name a star at coordinates on this huge starmap. That was my first experience with in-box feelies, and aside from the protection I thought it was cool as hell.

Then it got to where games only came with a shitty 3-page instruction booklet... now I don't even get games in a box. I'm old, get off my lawn.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: November 22, 2016, 11:54:48 pm »

We got starcon1 from a friend, but not the xenodiplomacy code wheel (book?). Fortunately we remembered that "seduce" was one of the possible responses. More importantly, it was hilarious... I was like 10 :P Pretty sure "flee" would have been shorter. Anyway we just spent a few minutes seducing our way out of every bizarre scenario until it actually worked.

When our dad found out he found it hilarious too XD But resolved the problem with a hex editor... Then, actually, buying the box set with 2 (which is a wonderful gem, and now freeware open source because the debs were awesome. The Urquan Masters on Google).
She/they

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: November 24, 2016, 01:49:46 pm »

Ok here is one that isn't a flaw... But this is the "Pet peeve" thread and not the "Problems in games" thread :P soooo

Too good initial party/Character

So you have a thousand characters, monsters, or what have you to chose from! Man how do I decide?... Ohh wait... My starting characters are amazing? In fact far better then the majority or even all of the characters I can have...

So then I am stuck... I WANT to break away from my team but the initial team or character is just too good. Not to mention you will have to spend some time leveling them up all over again. A few even fill out special or rare roles that are not so easily filled.

Sure some games do this well they give you one creature/character (for a team) that is mid-late game (Persona 4 actually puts a unique spin on it. Your first Persona is one of the best personas in the game... BUT requires very difficult combinations of fusions to bring out... Which is typical of the Joker class) and having the game start you off with a bad monster/character is also equally annoying (Siracum 2's starting monsters can be obtained first dungeon)

---

The example of this that I am playing is Dragon Ball Fusions

Your first four team mates are some of the most powerful in the game... Of which only TWO you could reasonable lose sooner than later... The weakest one is one of the best support and debuff character in the game. Losing out only to a single end game character.

Which sucks because there are so many characters I'd love to use but are really meh when you immediately eclipse them.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 02:49:11 pm by Neonivek »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: November 25, 2016, 03:30:06 pm »

Ok, I've already posted about it, but it really annoys me when a game pretends to give you free will, but will only let you really choose one option. If I don't have a choice, don't make it appear that I do.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: November 25, 2016, 03:34:35 pm »

Ok, I've already posted about it, but it really annoys me when a game pretends to give you free will, but will only let you really choose one option. If I don't have a choice, don't make it appear that I do.

But thou must!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: November 25, 2016, 05:41:07 pm »

But that was the whole point of Bioshock 1!!!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: November 25, 2016, 05:48:50 pm »

Well no. The point of Bioshock 1 was that, in the end, you managed to squeeze by some semblance of free will.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: November 25, 2016, 05:56:10 pm »

Well no. The point of Bioshock 1 was that, in the end, you managed to squeeze by some semblance of free will.
I thought it was "killing little girls by doing unspeakable things to them isn't worth the effort"  :P
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 324