Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519514 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3645 on: December 07, 2016, 05:01:24 pm »

4xs where the AI defaults to genocidal

I do want to fight wars in my 4x games, but I'd also like to actually build a damned nation, not a fucking assembly line for more combat units.  Building a military is fun, but it shouldn't be the be-all end-all of a game that promises the 4 'Xs'.  I want to eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and then eXterminate, not desperately micromanage my military complex so I don't get roflstomped the second I make contact with another empire.

The ai is playing a 4x, too, but they think the four 'Xs' are eXterminate, exTerminate, extErminate, and exterminAte
This is what happens when you let daleks write your AI code
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: December 07, 2016, 06:08:26 pm »

Not strictly a gaming peeve, but I run into it mostly when looking up gaming stuff so I'm going to complain about it anyways.

Landing Pages.

Whats the bloody point of those things?

If I visit a website as a new prospective buyer I already have a very rough idea of what the product is, so flashing "this is FPS game, haz gunz pewpewpew register here and gib money kthx" isn't going to make me look at it more favorably or tell me something I disn't already know. The kind of information I look for is usually not on those pages (e.g. a description of the character classes in an MMORPG).
Plus most of them look like they've been designed by an intern. An incompetent intern who is also half-chimpanzee and who just copied some boring newsletter design because he is also lazy.
That is not likely to make me buy a game or subscription.

If I'm already a player/customer/whatever then this is an extra click (and extra loading time if I'm on my slow ass phone) I have to do before I get to where I want to go.
Especially if it is one of those really annoying landing pages that only have a register button but no log-in or skip-to-main-page buttons (with those then showing up on the register page), which means I have to do even more clicks and suffer even more loading time.
"Bonus" points if there are also unreasonably loud sound effects on it.

I don't see a single advantage to having one of those.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: December 07, 2016, 07:03:11 pm »

Even more points if it has an ad that follows the top of bottom of the browser, not the page. So you end up having 10% of the screen cut off by the ad. EVEN MORE POINTS if the ad doesn't resize on mobile, leading to you being unable to zoom in on something.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: December 08, 2016, 08:56:00 am »

Flunky Bosses aka Bosses with stupid, irritating, rage-inducing minions.

I admit that I don't know many flunky bosses outside Dark Souls trilogy. But as much as I love Dark Souls games, FromSoft can't do good Flunky Bosses.

Terraria has only like 2 bosses with annoying minions, EoC and BoC. But they are a joke compared to Flunky Bosses of DkS.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: December 08, 2016, 10:17:55 am »

You would probably hate Freedom Force! (though I think the sequel is far superior to the first... shame it is the last)... because almost all bosses are flunky bosses.

Then again, given you can knock around bosses in that game like they ain't no thang... It is usually the bosses that ARN'T Flunky Bosses that are the dumb ones... because they have to give them cheapo abilities (Giant Bosses, just forget melee)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: December 08, 2016, 10:48:06 am »

You would probably hate Freedom Force! (though I think the sequel is far superior to the first... shame it is the last)... because almost all bosses are flunky bosses.

Then again, given you can knock around bosses in that game like they ain't no thang... It is usually the bosses that ARN'T Flunky Bosses that are the dumb ones... because they have to give them cheapo abilities (Giant Bosses, just forget melee)

I've heard about Freedom Force, but I'm not really into superhero stuff. I watched The Dark Knight trilogy and played Arkham trilogy, though.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: December 08, 2016, 11:02:23 am »

Storywise it probably won't appeal to you.

Gameplay wise there might be something there. A Real Time pause game where maneuvering and clever tactics are rewarded... and if you play on hard (and no higher... Trust me don't play on harder modes then hard... they become a chore) you HAVE to do it constantly to get anywhere.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: December 08, 2016, 11:19:02 am »

I really dislike, for lack of a better word, "co-op bait". What I mean by this is when a single player campaign is obviously designed for co-operative replayability rather than to be a decent single player campaign. Common features include random loot drops, and open, non-linear but barely designed levels.

Shadow Warrior 2 was a huge disappointment for me, because of this. Still fun, though.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: December 08, 2016, 11:44:17 am »

That's my beef with Diablo 2, especially as compared to Diablo 1. D1 had spaces that were kinda generic due to random generation, but still fun to explore. D2 has huge aimless overworld with the dungeons randomly put all over the place.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: December 31, 2016, 04:53:42 am »

Repetitive ambient chatter. Holy shit. I'm playing the Dead Money DLC for Fallout: New Vegas, and I think I can list all of God's random quotes from memory.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The three other companions from the DLC have a similarly limited number of ambient lines. A limited number of lines wouldn't be so bad, except they play another one almost as soon as the last one's finished. Dean Domino even interrupts his own lines to deliver more, very frequently.

One of the companions is mute. They subtitle her expressions and pantomimes, so even in that case you're not free of it.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: December 31, 2016, 05:10:44 am »

I think they turned the frequency of DLC dialogue up just because your time with them is limited. Not really an excuse, though.

I used to keep a save game right after Follows Chalk said the bottlecaps jingle line ten too many times. I'd load it and just murder the shit out of him for catharsis whenever I had a bad day.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: January 26, 2017, 07:57:54 pm »

If I had infinite power over the legal system, some laws I would pass regarding games:

- All games must have a "skip to gameplay" button that can be pressed as soon as the program is loaded
- No animated menu transitions that last longer than a second
- The settings menu, particularly graphics options, must always always always always always fucking always be accessible, no goddamn exceptions.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: January 26, 2017, 08:00:32 pm »

Add 'no stupid splash screens that no one gives a shit about like Speedtree etc.' and a mandatory subtitle option and I'm right there with you.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: January 26, 2017, 08:19:43 pm »

Can we throw in a hefty fine for unskippable cutscenes? Triple fine if the cutscene is right after a save point and right before a boss fight.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: January 26, 2017, 08:35:02 pm »

Add one to the fine multiplier for every minute of the cutscene's length.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 324