Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519510 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3630 on: November 25, 2016, 05:58:10 pm »

Ok, I've already posted about it, but it really annoys me when a game pretends to give you free will, but will only let you really choose one option. If I don't have a choice, don't make it appear that I do.

Like spec ops the line :P

I mean. Yeah, you could argue like the dev has said 'you could've walked away', but it's kinda shitty to have people who are on repeat playthroughs have no way of subverting the intended story by not using the white phosphorous. I mean, seriously.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: November 25, 2016, 06:31:30 pm »

Your complaint is a little ridiculous.

You can't subvert the entire story of Mass Effect by telling what's-his-face-Turian-Spectre about Saren on Eden Prime during repeat playthroughs either, or letting Ashley/Kaiden get the full knowledge of the Prothean Beacon instead of having Shepard knock them out of the way. You can't get out of working with Cerberus in ME2 by simply knowing about the Collector attack on the Normandy because you're doing a second playthrough. You can't just let Zarpedon destroy Elpis in the Borderlands Pre-Sequel, nor can you save Jack from becoming Handsome Jack by shooting Lilith and Moxxi. You CAN shoot Ocelot in Metal Gear Solid 3, but that gets you a non-standard game over so really, you can't stop him from becoming Revolver Ocelot either. You can't not give Igor the skull in the Tell Tale Minecraft game even if you know what he's going to do with it. In Salt & Sanctuary, you can kill all the pirates and the Unspeakable Deep and the boat you're on still sinks. In Demon's Souls you can kill Vanguard, and you'll still get turned into a bloody smear by Dragon God a minute later in a cutscene because the game needs your character to die to continue. Should I go on?

If you pay attention to the plot of Spec Ops, they don't present not using the WP as an option. One of your squadmates says 'maybe we shouldn't' but your main character says, quite clearly, there is no other way. And there isn't, because it's not a choice you the player are making. It's a choice Walker the character is making, which is a very important distinction. The only choice YOU get during Spec Ops is during the last few minutes.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: November 25, 2016, 06:56:27 pm »

Ok, I've already posted about it, but it really annoys me when a game pretends to give you free will, but will only let you really choose one option. If I don't have a choice, don't make it appear that I do.

Quote from: Gman
Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of
choosing for you. If and when the time comes again.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: November 26, 2016, 04:53:29 am »

The illusion of choice is a very important storytelling device in games. It shouldn't be overused, but it's definitely useful.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: November 26, 2016, 05:38:24 am »

This is a highly specific one but seeing some gameplay of the newest Deathwing game really made me peeved at it.

When in Warhammer 40 000 games the Bolter (and all Bolt weapons in general) are portrayed as just big machineguns

They're tiny rocket launchers that shoot missiles which explode upon impact. Space Marine and Fire Warrior got it right, why can't anyone else seem to? Yes even Dawn of War buggered this one up and I love that series of games.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: November 26, 2016, 10:13:08 am »

Driving games in which...
1. I spin out while trying to turn, or while thinking about turning
2. there is no guidance as to how to not spin out constantly, but there is a casual mode where the computer handles steering and braking for you
3. altering the car's configuration seems to make no meaningful difference
4. The game doesn't provide sufficient information on the differences between the cars, or allow test-driving them, to find out which ones might could possibly steer without losing their shit all over the "road"

I MEAN YOU DIRT 3

Thank gods I got it for free, I guess.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: November 29, 2016, 05:35:37 am »

I hate when old games I used to love turn out to have horrible user interfaces ):
Magic Carpet is pretty bad, particularly the first one...  No way to un-invert the mouse, no way to float in place, escape makes you commit suicide with no prompt...  The "menu" is unlabeled and stylistic:  The hourglass plays the next level, the globe sends you back to level one. 
M Bison:  "Of course!"

Currently playing Sim Isle, and it's so much worse.  I assume it'd be a lot easier with the manual, but there's actually an extensive built-in help system...  But it's even more fluffy than New World of Darkness books.  In other words, the logging camp "help" page spends paragraphs being (justifiably) snarky about overlogging in real life, and barely touches on game mechanics.  I don't know how to export wood, but I do know that my conscripted villagers show up to work drunk.

Also, the steel plant doesn't use up coal - or electricity, for that matter.  It literally turns iron ore directly into steel.  As a dorf, this bothers me, particularly considering coal is IN THE GAME
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: November 29, 2016, 09:06:55 am »

I don't think I ever knew how to play sim isle

I knew how to turn the game on, select an isle, and exit.

That is the extent of my sim isle gameplay
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: December 07, 2016, 04:05:58 am »

Not sure if its been mentioned before but..

Every time, in First person games.
I look down and don't see legs, I kind of die a little on the inside.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: December 07, 2016, 07:08:15 am »

My pet peeve with FPS games is that every single one of them isn't the most recent DOOM. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: December 07, 2016, 07:23:58 am »

Ugh, yeah, unskippable scenes in general are the worst. It's certain to have come up before, but my personal favorites are the 'slow walk forward/wander around a room and not really do anything while talking' and 'cutscene that randomly has one or two QTEs in it just so you have to pay attention to the whole thing'. So annoying.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: December 07, 2016, 08:40:15 am »

Gonna say this now because I am still pissed about it.

Boss Fights that are QTEs.

Halo 4 did this and from watching my brother, so does Dying Light. Whyyyy. I'd rather have a piss hard fight against a strong enemy than not.

And for Dying Light, it'd have been way more interesting for the guy you're fighting to just be a stronger human character instead of just a big QTE while the guy monologues at you. I mean, shit. Are boss fights that hard to make?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: December 07, 2016, 01:20:46 pm »

Yes. Oh god yes. In fact:

Horrible, horrible, poorly made boss fights.

Most specifically, bosses that are too stupid to ever take cover, but make up for it by being able to take ten rifle rounds to the face and not react at all. Looking at you, Deus Ex HR.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: December 07, 2016, 01:33:33 pm »

Yes. Oh god yes. In fact:

Horrible, horrible, poorly made boss fights.

Most specifically, bosses that are too stupid to ever take cover, but make up for it by being able to take ten rifle rounds to the face and not react at all. Looking at you, Deus Ex HR.

Speaking of Boss Fights:
Boss fights that use completely different mechanics to the rest of the game.  Worse if it is the final one and that is the only time the mechanics come up.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: December 07, 2016, 04:55:53 pm »

4xs where the AI defaults to genocidal

I do want to fight wars in my 4x games, but I'd also like to actually build a damned nation, not a fucking assembly line for more combat units.  Building a military is fun, but it shouldn't be the be-all end-all of a game that promises the 4 'Xs'.  I want to eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and then eXterminate, not desperately micromanage my military complex so I don't get roflstomped the second I make contact with another empire.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 324