Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518612 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #375 on: June 24, 2013, 10:16:42 am »

Highschool I.T classes were horrible for me. I'd already spent most of my life gaming by that point, so my fingers naturally sat on WASD, space, and shift. I was almost failed because "I wasn't typing properly". Apparently speed and precision only mattered if you did it her way.
Oh jah... the worst sort of teaching.  Apparently though, starting from the normal asdf is ingrained in me despite gaming so much.  Guess it works to get the muscle movement and positioning ingrained early
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 24, 2013, 10:23:26 am »

Yeah believe it or not, not a single aptitude test I took when i did temp work ever gave a damn  about my "proper typing form." All they cared about was stupid stuff like "speed" and "accuracy." Someone should tell the corporate world that they are doing everything all wrong.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 24, 2013, 11:08:14 am »

I really like the QWERTY keyboard, and have always used standered home-row typing. Am I the annomoly here?

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 24, 2013, 11:27:27 am »

I'm not sure what kind of typing I do... I just kind of use whatever's closest to the key.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 24, 2013, 11:53:52 am »

While I think this is straying a bit off-topic, I'll note that I learned to type quickly by playing on PvP MUDs back in the 90s.  Now my fingers tend to naturally rest such that "N,E,S,W" are very close at hand. 

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 24, 2013, 12:00:36 pm »

MMOs are what really taught me to type. Needing to express a coherent thought in the middle of an party/raid encounter kind of demanded good typing skills.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 24, 2013, 02:12:57 pm »

Current pet peeve: Sequels.

Rather than trying to be daring with new IP and smaller games with lower budgets, most companies are simply trying to push out the next big AAA snorefest in the hopes that they'll make it big on Battlefield of Duty: Warfighter 52. Same game, rehashed a bit with a different setting and weapon choices, and extreme focus on getting people to play multiplayer due to the lack of any form of lengthy campaign.

I don't mind playing those games from time to time (Battlefield 3 in particular), but seeing companies such as EA and Activision, among others, simply dump out another tired sequel rather than attempting something new and novel pisses me off to no end. I do realize, however, with such great men as Bobby Kotick at the head, the bottom line is all that matters, and if people keep buying it then they might as well keep recycling the same content with little to no effort on their part.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 24, 2013, 02:32:18 pm »

I really hate how in Don't Starve if you press space without a weapon equiped it will still default to attacking the closest enemy, even when you have nothing but a walking stick and you just want to grab that morsel or gold nugget or whatever.. grr..

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 24, 2013, 02:57:27 pm »

Highschool I.T classes were horrible for me. I'd already spent most of my life gaming by that point, so my fingers naturally sat on WASD, space, and shift. I was almost failed because "I wasn't typing properly". Apparently speed and precision only mattered if you did it her way.

That does sounds horrible. In the UK, we aren't actually taught typing, and since a pretty young age I've always just used my two index fingers to type with. I also happen the be one of the fastest typers in my class, since everybody else seems to use that silly "home row" thing.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 24, 2013, 02:59:21 pm »

Homerow typing works great for me.   :P 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 24, 2013, 03:07:26 pm »

I never could homerow, but I also have one of the strangest methods I know of. My ring finger is on the a key at all times, the left hand handles all of that side of the keyboard as well as shift, and the right hand sits comfortably over j,i,0,[, and the comma when idle. Roughly. The right hand is sort of always moving.

My hands are stupidly big, so I can get quite a lot of typing done even one-handed.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 24, 2013, 03:10:56 pm »

Extrinsic rewards.

Extra Credits has ruined a lot of games for me, mostly MMOs, because I now recognize that "Run around and press F 200 times over the course of an hour to get an item" is not actually fun and I'm just wasting my time to get an item. I'll go play something with enjoyable gameplay instead.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 24, 2013, 03:13:59 pm »

I don't do homerow but I don't do two finger typing anymore either.

My right hand uses basically one finger (For good reason if anyone had actually seen how the right side is used) While my left hand uses three most of the time. Spacebar is with my thumbs.

Interestingly my left hand does go pretty far right. It will sometimes even touch h on the right side.

Left hand: Shift, Capslock, a, s, d, f, g, w, e, r, t
Right hand: o
Thumbs: Spacebar

That is how I actually hold my hands neutral. It seems like my left hand changes position depending on what I am writing.

My left hand hurting is probably due to the fact that I actually move my right hand a lot.

Extrinsic rewards.

Extra Credits has ruined a lot of games for me, mostly MMOs, because I now recognize that "Run around and press F 200 times over the course of an hour to get an item" is not actually fun and I'm just wasting my time to get an item. I'll go play something with enjoyable gameplay instead.

I am kind of there already where I am starting to unpack a lot of game mechanics into their base components.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 24, 2013, 03:20:47 pm »

I'd imagine that the taught typing method is less tiring over a long period of rapid typing than other methods. I would think that capitalizing would be a pain only using two fingers while maintaining a rapid pace, but I'll admit I've never tried it. I've always thought it rather derpy looking when people type with two fingers, but it's interesting that it's so popular. Maybe my long fingers made it easier to learn as a kid, as I think is one of the main reasons why people have issues learning home row young is lack of reach. I remember thinking that reaching 'b' with the left index finger was the worst idea ever back then, so smaller keyboards for young people would certainly be helpful.

I don't want to just feed the derail, so, uh...

Large Projectile Hitboxes

I've noticed this mostly in TF2. If the huntsman arrow were, say, a line segment instead of a two-by-four, I doubt half the barely aimed headshots would happen. The same goes for stuff like the pomson's cloud of unavoidable electrojizz. Projectiles like the flare and rocket are small enough that you can at least know the person aimed when they get a direct hit.

Edit: Oh, the huntsman's not exactly a two-by-four, it's just that TF2 uses the projectile hitbox on it, meaning that all classes are modeled by a giant cube surrounding them with the upper area being the headshot area, including volumes of empty space surrounding the head. Brilliant. And because there isn't a scaled hitbox for each class, scouts get hit like they're the size of a heavy. RAEG.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:54:47 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 24, 2013, 08:50:55 pm »

Weird auto-targeting that isn't controlled by the player

I've noticed this mostly in 3D beat-em-up style games, like The Matrix: Path of Neo (I'm sure it happens in good games, that's just the most immediate example I can think of). When you push your thumbstick in the direction of an enemy and press the attack button, you'd expect to attack in that direction, right? Wrong, according to some games: you should be sailing through the air in completely the opposite direction at a piece of destructible scenery.

FPS games that don't have console commands

When I've beaten the campaign to death and played all the multiplayer I can stand, I just like to spawn around ten copies of the final boss and fight them all at once, or use weird enemy-exclusive weapons that don't really work for players. I always feel that there's just a tinge of "no fun allowed"-ness in PC shooters that don't have a console function.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 324