Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518618 times)

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #360 on: June 23, 2013, 11:46:54 pm »

Having the keyboard input set on american style QWERTY

While most games guilty of such a crime are based in flash and other online type things, it is incredibly frustrating when it says: "Press z" and pressing the zed on my keyboard does nothing.

This. Even though I'm american, the last 4 years I have been using QWERTZ because of my German class (we did a LOT of typing) and I got used to using it.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 23, 2013, 11:49:24 pm »

You know I do honestly wonder how much faster you type if you use a keyboard actually made for typing faster.

Since QWERTY is made to make your typing slower.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 23, 2013, 11:51:05 pm »

You know I do honestly wonder how much faster you type if you use a keyboard actually made for typing faster.

Since QWERTY is made to make your typing slower.
I'd be afraid of typing faster than I do. I already type a good 80 words per minute and I only use my pointer fingers, middle fingers, and my left pinky. It's really scary. I scared the crap out of my keyboarding teacher (and had to convince him to not fail me because he though I was cheating somehow).
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 23, 2013, 11:56:38 pm »

Oh, gosh, in middle school, they tried to teach us the "correct" way to type on a keyboard, that uses all of your fingers.
They had us type on a program that logged how many word per minute we were typing.
I literally had to wait until the teacher stopped looking, and type the way I normally do with only my index and middle fingers in order to get enough words per minute to pass.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 24, 2013, 12:03:15 am »

Which honestly from what I understand about QWERTY makes sense because it was built for touch typing.

Also apperantly QWERTY is also terrible for RSI. I am reading articles on alternate keyboard layouts. Including one that actually says that many typing competitions outright ban set ups that aren't QWERTY because they are an unfair advantage. Which I find hilarious.

I'd be interesting with switching it (since I get wrist pains) but it is the same situation as the left handed mouse. SURE I could get used to it, but everything is made for a right handed mouse (plus the neutral mouse actually fits more comfortably in my hand I feel. I like lighter mouses and Left handed mouses are HUGE!). Dear goodness that mouse was trash, you actually had to download a program off the internet to make its bright lights turn off.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:29:41 am by Neonivek »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 24, 2013, 01:02:15 am »

AZERTY master race!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 24, 2013, 01:09:43 am »

Oh, gosh, in middle school, they tried to teach us the "correct" way to type on a keyboard, that uses all of your fingers.
They had us type on a program that logged how many word per minute we were typing.
I literally had to wait until the teacher stopped looking, and type the way I normally do with only my index and middle fingers in order to get enough words per minute to pass.

I'm having to do that now, and we have a really annoying teacher who just sits at her desk and says "funny" comments, so if you are out of her line of sight, you can cheat all you want.
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 24, 2013, 01:11:08 am »

I'm having to do that now, and we have a really annoying teacher who just sits at her desk and says "funny" comments, so if you are out of her line of sight, you can cheat all you want.
You're lucky you got a funny one, mine would patrol the room with a stern look.  :P
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 24, 2013, 01:19:39 am »

I can still remember my keyboarding teacher "A S D F, space.  J K L, semicolon, space.  A S D F, space.  J K L, semicolon, space.  A S D F, space.  J K L, semicolon, space." for an entire hour.
I had fun in that class because everyone else was struggling to type while I was sitting there bored getting 60 words a minute with perfect accuracy. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 24, 2013, 01:21:00 am »

My school is the kind where the keys are missing, so I had to do that with no semicolon, k or s.
Professional shut-in

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 24, 2013, 04:15:18 am »

the most logical place to put data and files related to a game is in the same bloody place where the game is installed!

Immutable game data, yes.

but for configuration files/saves etc...

Games which save data to their install directory
Writing to "program files" typically requires admin priveliges, and a computer game should not need admin priveliges. It is really annoying having to launch a compuer game as an admin because the developers were to lazy to folow Microsoft's recomendations. developers just dump their data all over the hard drive.

To be fair, this is a larger complaint against games coded for NT-based OS's (2000, xp 7 etc), where the programs really should have properly written user data to the correct locations. Microsoft's own games were generally good at actually doing this correctly.

Games which outright refuse to launch based on a detected incompatability
"This game cannot run on NT". Which may have been true back when Microsoft segregated their OS's between regular folk os (95, 98 etc) and business/server os (NT) and NT wasnt geared towards multimedia. But the game probably can run on the modern incarnations of NT (Win7, 8 etc) and outright refusing to even try to run and self-terminating is really fustrating and seemingly pointless. Couldn't you have just warned me that it might not work and let me try anyway?

Some games also detect video memory, and nVidia Optimus seems to break this (returning some silly number like 17mb). So a 10 year old game refusing to run due to insufficient video memory on a video card with 3gb of vram is very fustrating.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 24, 2013, 05:12:21 am »

I'm lucky. I only had to take a typing class for about three months sometime in elementary, and then they apparently dropped it when most of us were better at typing than the teachers were.

We figured out that if we typed a word while holding down every key as we pressed it, the software would type the word repeatedly. We ended up typing pages upon pages of naughty words into the software instead of doing the assignments most days.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 24, 2013, 05:19:27 am »

Some games also detect video memory, and nVidia Optimus seems to break this (returning some silly number like 17mb). So a 10 year old game refusing to run due to insufficient video memory on a video card with 3gb of vram is very fustrating.
Dear god this.

Me: I bet I can just crank all the graphics up on this old game!
Neverwinter Nights: No way dude! You need one of the new Voodoo cards to have water reflections! Yours isn't powerful enough.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 24, 2013, 09:47:13 am »

Highschool I.T classes were horrible for me. I'd already spent most of my life gaming by that point, so my fingers naturally sat on WASD, space, and shift. I was almost failed because "I wasn't typing properly". Apparently speed and precision only mattered if you did it her way.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 24, 2013, 09:54:33 am »

First test I took at highschool.  How it went:

Me:  *Finishing last fifteen words at one hundred WPM*

Teacher: Remember, take your time, none of you are likely to know all of the positions of the keys.

Me:  And... Finished!

Teacher: *Silence*

And after the test, I got a F.   A fucking F
Professional shut-in

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 324