Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518562 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #405 on: July 01, 2013, 03:25:37 am »

RPGs with no postgame

Especially JRPGs or older WRPGs like Fallout. It bugs me when the world resets to the minute before you enter the final dungeon after you watch the ending.

Fallout 2 had a post game but it had no post game content.

I will put this under "It depends on the game" as even I will admit there are some games I wanted a post game (there are some games I played where there IS a post game but ONLY if you avoid the final dungeon).

Yet others finish their games up quite solidly and a post game wouldn't make too much sense. For example Saga Frontier (ignore that there is a post game) you end the game pretty much godly and most of the bosses, if you don't know all the exploits, are pretty tough.

While other games put their post game before the end of the game like Final Fantasy 7.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 01, 2013, 07:57:04 am »

Any and all kinds of exclusive gameplay-affecting features.
Not necessarily Pay2Win, since, for instance, in Gear Up, while you don't have access to a lot of parts as a free player, you have access to objectively some of the strongest ones in the game. (either intentionally or by lack of balance towards the "free" side of the community)
But then, the free version of Gear Up is more like a "trial version with online gameplay" rather than true pay to win.

I just feel bad for killing people with a tank that's objectively better than any tank that they can make. (luckily the devs aren't deaf to the opinions and balance changes happening in every update)

And I don't even need to tell you how incredible bad and unacceptable true Pay2Win is.

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 01, 2013, 12:53:09 pm »

Games that could make a grown man cry, then end on a cliffhanger/mystery.

I'm looking at you, the last of us.
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 01, 2013, 02:38:02 pm »

Pre-rendered cutscenes

They didn't look that great when FMV was a new fad, and now there's really no reason to have them. What really bites me about this in particular is that Resident Evil 4 had real-time cutscenes in the Gamecube and Wii versions, then inexplicably introduced blurry pre-rendered cutscenes that look like ass for the PS2 and PC ports. I can't even play Warcraft III on certain monitors because the pre-rendered intro cinematics don't scale properly and crash the game quite often. And that game even had an epic in-engine cutscene at the end of The Frozen Throne, just to further drive in the futility of pre-rendered FMV cutscenes.

The ultimate low point of this has to be Battlefront II though, where the campaign cutscenes are literally just gameplay footage with a low-contrast filter and some narration. Admittedly, the narration is pretty damn good, but why not just have a proper cutscene rendered in real-time?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 01, 2013, 03:54:01 pm »

External media that has bonuses for a game

I got a World of Warcraft TCG starter box that had item codes for all sorts of WoW items. Why did you give me these, Blizzard? These are of no use to me whatsoever. I'd rather have another booster pack or some rare cards.

Heh, I also got a starter box with a purchase of one of the expansions (don't remember which one but it was probably shortly after the TCG came out). But I never cracked open the case, let alone looked at what cards I had. I wonder if there was anything cool in it that I could have sold. Even if there was a game item, it's probably worthless by now.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 23, 2013, 08:32:28 am »

Admittedly, I've never been shot, but I am led to believe that it is a somewhat painful experience, so when I shoot someone, I don't think it's reasonable, let alone realistic, that they decide to indulge in mime.

"You just shot me, so I'll just use this non-existent wall to move over here! You just shot me again! I'll use that wall to move back again!"
Actually most people don't notice when they are hit by a bullet in RL. The most ridicules one I can think of is where a 9-years old girl jumped in front of a robber's gun to shield her grandmother. Everyone(including the girl) thought the bullet missed till about 10 minutes later when they noticed a growing red patch on her dress.

Game over when the main hero falls

If you have a 'come back to life' spell, why do I get a game over when the hero take a dirt nap. I'm fine with games that have a reason like persona 3 and 4
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And then you get final fantasy 13 where if the guy you control fall, it game over, but you can switch so it make no sense why Hope could fall 1000 times in one battle, but it a game over if he touched the ground in another simply because of your view point.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 23, 2013, 08:35:26 am »

Pre-rendered cutscenes

They didn't look that great when FMV was a new fad, and now there's really no reason to have them. What really bites me about this in particular is that Resident Evil 4 had real-time cutscenes in the Gamecube and Wii versions, then inexplicably introduced blurry pre-rendered cutscenes that look like ass for the PS2 and PC ports. I can't even play Warcraft III on certain monitors because the pre-rendered intro cinematics don't scale properly and crash the game quite often. And that game even had an epic in-engine cutscene at the end of The Frozen Throne, just to further drive in the futility of pre-rendered FMV cutscenes.

The ultimate low point of this has to be Battlefront II though, where the campaign cutscenes are literally just gameplay footage with a low-contrast filter and some narration. Admittedly, the narration is pretty damn good, but why not just have a proper cutscene rendered in real-time?

Plus, pre-rendered FMVs often take up unnecessarily large amounts of space in a game installation.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 23, 2013, 08:56:21 am »

Another small one of mine:

Annoying bugs on indie games that are very easy to reproduce, very annoying, but nobody does anything - I understend indie have limited resources, the problem is not that.

The problem is the denial that follows from devs and the braindamaged user forums.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 23, 2013, 08:56:51 am »

Agreed, but I'll lump that under a larger umbrella of common RPG tropes that now annoy me.  You could spend hours on TVTropes looking up the stuff, but it includes things like only cutscene deaths being permanent (why can't I use a phoenix down in a cutscene?), disproportionate hero vs. enemy HP and damage, not being able to use healing magic outside of battles, etc.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 23, 2013, 09:12:02 am »

Agreed, but I'll lump that under a larger umbrella of common RPG tropes that now annoy me.  You could spend hours on TVTropes looking up the stuff, but it includes things like only cutscene deaths being permanent (why can't I use a phoenix down in a cutscene?), disproportionate hero vs. enemy HP and damage, not being able to use healing magic outside of battles, etc.

You've got me thinking.

What would be an acceptable cut-scene death?

Personally, I think that if the Big Bad either
-completely obliterates the target, so that there is not enough/no remains to re-raise,
-Breaks the target, so that they wouldn't want to be revived, and/or stealing their soul, either way, the soul refuses/can't return to body.
-Enemy prevents you from using item, stealing target's body, your items, or preventing you from reaching target in time. (This should only work if you can't use revival items outside of the mission where a unit dies.)
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 23, 2013, 09:30:55 am »

I view most of that as nessasay evil. Want plot weight? Cutscene death! Hero vs rival, but glass cannon vs glass cannon is boring at best and unfair at worst, what to do? I has a idea! The no healing magic outside of battle is dumb, but I haven't come across it enough to be peeved yet.

The hero's death=game over? Came across that enough to snap a disc once(I'm a peaceful person so it take a lot.)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 23, 2013, 09:40:33 am »

Random rewards from random things
Rats that drop money etc, you know the drill. It just feels like a lazy and bizzare way to reward me.

Dragons as antagonists
Because dragons are cool :(. Yes, that is my entire reasoning.

Really low FOV (probably mentioned before, but still...)
Argh, its just fustrating to feel like you are zoomed in all the time.

Overly-overt and/or either arbitarily restrictive (you cant use a mace at all because you havent learnt how to) or overly unrestricted (you spend 10 hours bashing wolves to death with a club, and upgrade your magic/smithing somehow) progression systems
In Strawman-Quest, you "level up". Which is not only annoying in itself (for me , I would prefer something less "step-like" and smoother), but they then shove it in your face with crazy over-the-top particle and sound effects, with "LEVEL UP" printed above the character in the 3d world for good measure. Just to make damn sure you realised you leveled up. Did I mention you just leveled up? Yeah, you just leveled up.

Games that progress really slowly
Particularly with older RPG's, with their "hundereds of hours" of gameplay. In most games I have played, nothing has interested me for longer than probably about 10 hours. They just seem to lack anything worth spending that much time in and just spread what little they have over as much time as possible.

Over-reliance on the RNG
Particularly bad in some games like Morrowind, where I watch my sword travel harmlessly through someone because the game decided that I actually missed for some reason.

The near-dissapearence of the RTS
I liked playing RTS's both popular and obscure (though not for competitive purposes). Now they have almost disappeared :(

glass cannon vs glass cannon is boring at best and unfair at worst, what to do?

A game with interesting AI could make it quite fun. Ontop of that, I dont see how a quick battle could be "boring" compared to one where you tickle the boss to death over a long period of time.

not being able to use healing magic outside of battles

Huh, I never really thought of that before. But now that you mention it, that is really, really silly.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 23, 2013, 09:43:21 am »

Really low FOV (probably mentioned before, but still...)
Argh, its just fustrating to feel like you are zoomed in all the time

Believe it or not that is the only reason why I could never get back into animal crossing. Everything is so zoomed in ALL the time.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 23, 2013, 05:07:02 pm »

Dragons as antagonists

This.
Unless the villain dragon is really badass.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 23, 2013, 05:29:31 pm »

Straight upgrades in multiplayer games
I may be too used to TF2's weapon unlock system in which every weapon is a sidegrade (apart from literally 3 melee weapons that have more of a meta impact if anything and all are considered pretty bad for the most part), but I hate when someone has a straight-up advantage over me in a multiplayer game. MMO or not, it's just bad.
(I'm DLing FireFall atm, I might as well give it a shot, I watched a few videos, but is it like that?)
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 324