Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518623 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #345 on: June 20, 2013, 05:03:52 pm »

A lot of games have auto-detect for graphical settings now. They generally work well enough but I've never found changing the resolution too much of a hassle though. I do hate when a game has to restart every single time you change the smallest graphical setting.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 20, 2013, 05:04:27 pm »

Or having a minimum resolution in order to play.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 20, 2013, 05:25:44 pm »

What do you think should be the default resolution?  After all if the default resolution is higher than some people's computers can use then it's going to cause problems for them.

Isn't it kind of obvious? The default resolution should be what your desktop resolution is set to.

Also:
Games that store hundreds of megs of random stuff all over your hard drive outside of their install directory
When I install a game and choose where to put the game to (there are games that don't even do that! I'm looking at you, Minecraft, and your fucking users/name/appdata(hidden by default, by the way)/roaming/ path) and then the games goes and dumps hundreds of megs of stuff into a completely different folder, even on a different partition/harddrive! WHY is it industry standard to have games dump save games, configurations, even custom downloadable content (such as player-made multiplayer maps for UT3) into Documents/MyGames/Company Name/Game Name/ ? If the intention is to keep everything to one particular place then they've failed hard in their execution, because the most logical place to put data and files related to a game is in the same bloody place where the game is installed! And they couldn't even agree on a convention, instead some games go into Documents/Company/Game Name instead!
My main drive where windows is installed is on a separate SSD with limited memory. I only use this SSD for windows and other small, important programs that I wish to have fast boot times for. I have a separate hard disk that keeps games and other stuff on it.
And what's worse is that some of devs for these games are so incompetent that they hardcode the path for these files rather than using the environment variables (%USER PROFILE%, for example). I once wanted to install some game I don't remember on a work laptop that didn't have a drive called "C:", and the game couldn't even install because of that.
/end rant. sorry.
Feeling down? Click Here!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 20, 2013, 05:27:27 pm »

And if a game doesn't support your resolution/refresh rate....?

WHY is it industry standard to have games dump save games, configurations, even custom downloadable content (such as player-made multiplayer maps for UT3) into Documents/MyGames/Company Name/Game Name/

Because of the way Microsoft changed how user accounts work. Now that information is specific to the user account, stored under the user's own data directories...so when someone else signs on to your PC using their user account, they don't automatically have access to all the same data.

And what's worse is that some of devs for these games are so incompetent that they hardcode the path for these files rather than using the environment variables (%USER PROFILE%, for example).

That however is bad practice.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:29:36 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 20, 2013, 05:39:16 pm »

My two gaming pet peeves are not being able to find a way past DRM and not being able to install or run the game because of it either being too old or in a locale that I can't get to work with Applocale. I'm looking at you Thief and The Guild. I wanted to play the two of you so very bad but no matter what you just won't install on my machine unless I either downgrade my system to Windows 95 or make my machine somehow understand German without having to use Applocale.

GoG to the rescue.

Thief Gold

The Guild
Thank you very much.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 20, 2013, 06:07:08 pm »

Oh, I just remembered something I hate other than microtransactions in games.

Pre-Order bonuses that affects gameplay.  In general its not a huge deal for me anymore since its pretty rare that I preorder these days, but it used to really bug me.  For example Fallout NV I preordered and ended up with a shotgun and armor at the start of the game.  I don't usually pay that much attention to the pre-order bonuses list on the page though, so I didn't realize right away that I wasn't supposed to start with these things.  I felt like such a cheater when I realized that most people don't start with those items.

I really like to play the way the game was intended to be played, and when there are pre-order bonuses you never really know if it was intended to be played with the bonuses or without them.  Bugs me.  :)

I don't mind preorder bonuses when they are things like soundtracks and art books and such though.  Those are cool.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:08:40 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 21, 2013, 12:59:50 am »

You could just sell 'em or drop them in the middle of the Mohave.
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 21, 2013, 01:15:03 pm »

As long as it is listed somewhere as an option I think in a singleplayer game it's a good idea.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 23, 2013, 09:53:22 am »

Not allowing missions to be played individually after the campaign is complete

Star Wars: Battlefront II's campaign is the most egregious example of this. There's all sorts of damn cool missions in that campaign, but I hate having to play through all the not-as-good missions to get to them, excluding saved games (which are an unnecessary hassle).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:07:17 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 23, 2013, 10:11:37 am »

Having the keyboard input set on american style QWERTY

While most games guilty of such a crime are based in flash and other online type things, it is incredibly frustrating when it says: "Press z" and pressing the zed on my keyboard does nothing.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 23, 2013, 10:12:18 am »

Having the keyboard input set on american style QWERTY

While most games guilty of such a crime are based in flash and other online type things, it is incredibly frustrating when it says: "Press z" and pressing the zed on my keyboard does nothing.
I already mentioned this under unchangeable keybindings. :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 23, 2013, 10:13:54 am »

pressing the zed on my keyboard does nothing.

Well, it should try to bite your finger, have you had it checked at a apocalypse hospital?
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 23, 2013, 10:15:09 am »

As a matter of fact, while I'm playing BF2:

(Significant) features that are exclusive to campaign mode

Why can't I have a fight between the Rebels and the Clones in Instant Action? Why can't there be a Galactic Conquest scenario where the Empire has to hunt down rebellious Stormtroopers?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 23, 2013, 04:05:11 pm »

Why can't I have a fight between the Rebels and the Clones in Instant Action? Why can't there be a Galactic Conquest scenario where the Empire has to hunt down rebellious Stormtroopers?
And for the original Battlefront(and BF2, even), why can't I play using the original B1 Battledroid? I'm stuck using the ugly unbalanced B2 Super Battledroid.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 23, 2013, 11:39:11 pm »

And for the original Battlefront(and BF2, even), why can't I play using the original B1 Battledroid? I'm stuck using the ugly unbalanced B2 Super Battledroid.
Yes to all of these. Also, why no jedi's in space? That would be so awesome.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 324