Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42919 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2013, 08:39:53 pm »

This "Occupy" isn't "BANKERS ARE BAD CAPITALISM IS BAD. I WANT WHAT YOU HAVE, IT ISN'T FAIR THAT YOU HAVE MORE THAN ME!"
No occupy was ever like that. Regardless, it's off topic - jumping into a thread just to be a dick about your personal hangups is not good behaviour. Stop being an asshole.
And they couldn't even do it without the scumbags in the occupy movement without raping women, who were then told "Don't tell the cops, it'll make us look bad."
What. Sources.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2013, 08:42:55 pm »

Are you being sarcastic, Foamy?

If not, you do realize that huge wealth inequality is a bad thing, right? Another form of tyranny and oppression in its own right?

If it's jealousy to be angry at someone hoarding bread and keep it from others who are starving (or houses, if you want a non-metaphorical example), then there's nothing wrong with jealousy. You can't fault someone for being angry at people who essentially say "let them eat cake."
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2013, 08:51:25 pm »

Are you being sarcastic, Foamy?

If not, you do realize that huge wealth inequality is a bad thing, right? Another form of tyranny and oppression in its own right?

If it's jealousy to be angry at someone hoarding bread and keep it from others who are starving (or houses, if you want a non-metaphorical example), then there's nothing wrong with jealousy. You can't fault someone for being angry at people who essentially say "let them eat cake."

The problem was that their "We are the 99%!" Was, A) Untrue, 99% of them were Upper Middle Class kids going to expensive, Ivy League colleges, B), They were raging at the wrong people, Stockbrokers were targeted simply because they work the stock market, while the Extremely Liberal and etreamlly rich Senators and Congressmen (And Women) were ignored. C), Wealth Inequality is a bad thing, but Unless you were born into it, or married into it, you shouldn't be hated simply because you have more than someone else. D) Someone having a lot of money does not keep wealth from flowing. If there was a Finite amount of wealth in the world, there would be, but Wealth is Generated, not Static. And finaly, E) The Corporations that people were protesting never said anything resembling "Let them eat cake." Certain Corporations were targeted, while others were ignored. Apple, for example, uses Child Slave Labor in third world countries, where quite a few children end up killing themselves rather than b forced to work in those kind of conditions, yet no one protested outside of Apple's headquarters.

tl;dr, No one was hoarding the wealth, certain people didn't have as much as other people, and revolted because of it, while ignoring the actual plight of actual 99%ers.

Oh, and BTW, before anyone accuses me of being some kind of Rich-Loving ultra-rightwinger teabagger, Let me say this; I'm twenty years old, and I live with my Dad, and even though I havea  job, I struggle to help pay for rent, energy, and the like because we are under (Literally) the poverty line.

Trust me, I understand the occupy movement, and what it originaly meant. But it eventually got changed to something born out of Jealousy.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:54:57 pm by Foamybeard »
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2013, 08:56:59 pm »

An NTV cameraman is recording what's going on and someone else is saying to him "Really, why don't you broadcast this?" "Hey, you in the red!" "Really, why don't you broadcast this? You don't got the balls?" "You don't got the balls?" Right now NTV is showing a documentary about Itzhak Perlman. Yep, no Turkish channel wants to give too much attention to that little revolution thing going on.

Support for a general strike is increasing, no decisions taken yet.

Civilians (or civil police) passing by a street in İzmir 12 hours ago. You can easily see the clubs they are carrying.

Music of the revolution

Isn't it interesting majority of the "police" isn't wearing an uniform?

Erdoğan will be visiting Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco at 3 June 10:30 while his country is burning down. Turkish Source

There are lots of more unconfirmed deaths raining down all across Turkey. I think the confirmed number of deaths is close to 10 now. I talked to a friend in İzmir and he said police is entering apartments and attacking people in their homes. There are lots of links and information flying around in this stream channel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Aha! It was viral advertising for Toshiba all along! Better lock the thread guys, this revolution is just another corporate stunt.
Revolution™ brought to you by Toshiba!

Spoiler: Photos (click to show/hide)

Let's keep off-topic arguments and insults to a minimum, if not non-existent.

EDIT: A COP FIRING INTO AN APARTMENT FROM THE WINDOW
Man, cops are literally gassing houses.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:05:02 pm by Leatra »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2013, 09:02:28 pm »

Even the Interior Minister is admitting over 1700 in arrests, and at least 1000 injuries of varying severity, according to Amnesty International.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2013, 09:04:07 pm »

In case anyone is wondering about the scale of things.
-A football fan group named "Çarşı" has just "liberated" a power shovel-
Good god, that's hilarious. Construction Equipment of the Revolution!
Erdoğan will be visiting Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco at 3 June 10:30 while his country is burning down. Turkish Source
Right, "visiting". Here's hoping he buys his Saudi Arabian retirement palace and never comes back to Turkey.
More police brutality
I'm surprised the ones in the bus are just standing there. That many people could probably tip it over if they all started rocking back and forth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2013, 09:11:25 pm »

And so a local football team hunted down armored police cars in an excavator. And it was awesome.

Even if no Turkish channel is broadcasting Leatra, the rest of the world is. The 24 hour news station here is providing pretty regular updates on what is going on. People know what is going on.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2013, 10:31:47 pm »

There have been solidarity rallys in several bigger german cities, like Cologne and Berlin.

Also Syria has called for Erdogan to resign for repressing protests, apparently completely unfamiliar with the concept of "hypocrisy"...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2013, 10:48:31 pm »

There have been solidarity rallys in several bigger german cities, like Cologne and Berlin.

Also Syria has called for Erdogan to resign for repressing protests, apparently completely unfamiliar with the concept of "hypocrisy"...
Assad is probably sitting in his Palace laughing his ass off. And possibly sending off messages along the line of "WHAT DID I TELL YOU? WHAT DID I FUCKING TELL YOU? MESS WITH ME AGAIN ASSHOLE." Turkey has been VERY anti-Assad, so it's more likely Irony, and the Turkish government ends up being a hypocrite.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2013, 10:56:55 pm »

Has the military done anything yet?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2013, 11:03:40 pm »

They've been supplying the protesters and generally declared solidarity with them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2013, 11:04:16 pm »

PTW. I've always liked Turkey :3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2013, 11:16:25 pm »

PTW
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2013, 12:50:28 am »

Trust me, I understand the occupy movement, and what it originaly meant. But it eventually got changed to something born out of Jealousy.

Quit trying to derail the thread with your stupid
bullshit

Just because Occupy was mentioned, it doesn't mean you have to jump in and start an argument about it. Let this be about Turkey, okay?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2013, 12:54:34 am »

Let this be about Turkey, okay?
Please. It had already been dropped when you brought it back up.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32