Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42886 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2013, 12:02:44 pm »

Yeah, I think calling him an outright "fanatic" is inflating the term a bit, I mean he is authoritarian and fundamentalist, but he is no Assad or Gaddafi, more like a wannabe-Putin (I think ten-thousands of dead people in Syria and Lybia would agree). He still is the most popular politician in Turkey and Turkey is a democratic country (with some deficits by our standards, but still).
Here we see the population acting as "checks and balances" and preventing a development away from democracy, a function that in the past was filled by the kemalist military via coups (which are not great by our standards either).
It's hard to predict at the moment if these protests will force him to resign, but they will certainly force him to listen to the people and keep things democratic.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:06:38 pm by XXSockXX »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2013, 12:05:53 pm »

I dunno, he seemed like a pretty decent guy just by running over the Wikipedia pages. Defending atheist rights, economic reforms, investing in education, attempted to solving the Cypriotic problems, ...

Difference between talking and acting, apparently.
Talk is cheap. At the end of the day, Erdogan was elected by an Islamist political party. The AKP can deny it all they want, but their actions show it.

Also got a ton of awards
Not necessarily good awards. These ones are pretty telling:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2013, 12:10:17 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
He was banned from office and sentenced to a ten-month prison term for reciting a poem during a public address in the province of Siirt in 1997. After less than four months in prison, Erdoğan established the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) in 2001
Just to show that the previous parties weren't all that clean either.

He changed to constitution to allow the president to be elected by popular vote (Approved by referendum IIRC, because the opposition boycotted the parliament). Also did numerous other reforms, including economical and sociopolitical reforms.

Just to note that you don't have to brand him as the obvious evil mad guy. The situation is way more complex than that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2013, 12:11:36 pm »

Talk is cheap. At the end of the day, Erdogan was elected by an Islamist political party. The AKP can deny it all they want, but their actions show it.
Now, now, that's not quite right. For one, he never got the support of the majority of voters, and what did support he got was thanks in large part to the governments making success in society and feeding a person's family reliant on voting for him. Most of his voters weren't Islamist, so he wasn't elected by Islamists.

It's just that most of his voters weren't supporters either.

He seems like a standard revolutionary who advocates against the system until they get into power and realize they really, really like being on top, and plan on staying there.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2013, 12:14:55 pm »

Just as a note, but with 327 out of 550 seats, the AKP has a majority in parliament.

Also interesting of note, of all parties, the AKP has the most female parliament members (Percentage and total)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:23:22 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2013, 12:17:54 pm »

I think trying to convince an admitted advocate for the violent destruction of all religion that this man is not completely evil is a bit of a lost cause, personally. Though his voiced opinions may have changed since the last time I had a conversation with him on this topic.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2013, 12:23:38 pm »

I think trying to convince an admitted advocate for the violent destruction of all religion that this man is not completely evil is a bit of a lost cause, personally. Though his voiced opinions may have changed since the last time I had a conversation with him on this topic.
If you're talking about me, I don't know where you're getting that. I don't advocate the violent destruction of religion. I don't even really advocate the destruction of religion, I just think it's going to start dying out in the coming years as it becomes ever-less relevant to society and that this will be a good thing.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2013, 12:25:23 pm »

If you're talking about me, I don't know where you're getting that. I don't advocate the violent destruction of religion. I don't even really advocate the destruction of religion, I just think it's going to start dying out in the coming years as it becomes ever-less relevant to society and that this will be a good thing.
Alright, then your opinion has changed since we had this conversation two years ago. Good to know! I'll stop feeling threatened when you're in a thread with me now.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2013, 12:26:28 pm »

The most outspoken critics of Tayyip were Islamists [last I knew]. You know, ousting the extremists in the military so they don't coup back to Islamic Republic status. So this line of conversation is all a bit confusing to me.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2013, 12:26:57 pm »

Alright, then your opinion has changed since we had this conversation two years ago. Good to know! I'll stop feeling threatened when you're in a thread with me now.
My opinion hasn't changed. I never advocated what you say I was advocating.
No Gods, No Masters.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2013, 12:30:14 pm »

My opinion hasn't changed. I never advocated what you say I was advocating.
No, I quite clearly remember you mentioning it in one of the religion threads, just let me go back and ..

16497 posts
Ughhhhhhhhhhh...........

Alright, I'll let you have this one, I have to go set up the studio in an hour.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2013, 12:34:55 pm »

I believe I know the conversation you are referring to Willfor. There was someone advocating concentration camps for the religious, but it wasn't MSH. Who it was? I don't recall. But it put me in the undesirable position of defending religion for a short time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:37:30 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2013, 12:35:40 pm »

Just as a note, but with 327 out of 550 seats, the AKP has a majority in parliament.
Also interesting of note, of all parties, the AKP has the most female parliament members (Percentage and total)
Which makes their relative paucity of genuine support all the more concerning, I would think. 39%/49% of the vote (local/national) hardly seems like it should entail getting 60% of the government. And this is with the government essentially buying and coercing votes.

Not that this particular quirk, where groups end up running countries despite the majority of the population being opposed to them, is somehow limited to Turkey. The vote-buying is obviously a bit more of a concern.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2013, 12:36:46 pm »

Yup, rampant clientelism and corruption is what caused most of Greece's problems. Not that it will get that bad in Turkey, but well...

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2013, 12:41:19 pm »

What's people's opinions on Deep State involvement in the current crisis in Turkey?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32