Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Gravecinders: Thirst Upon the Blazing Plain  (Read 17410 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: The Cyclopean Universes: <fort Name Here> Succession Game.
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 01:24:08 am »

How do you know when a site has something like hematite, specifically? is that a dfhack thing, or is it in the game interface. I see the "shallow metal" and "deep metal" tags, of course. As for the three sites you posted, the first seems to most closely fit the list of requests: volcano, not evil, not glacier, aquifer, desert, savage, no running water. The third is in amongst those necro towers, so that will be fun. I could go for either of those, though I have never done a fortress near either necros or volcanoes, for that matter.

How about this one?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:26:38 am by Ozarck »

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 11:10:54 am »

ehhh i did not mucxh care for the prospect of that spot

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 01:16:37 pm »

Okay, there is another volcano two spots west on the region map that looks similar. it probably has the same issues with resources then. My vote is for either The Least Blazes, or The Strong Rage of Mules and Stinkyevils.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 04:38:34 pm »

What's wrong with gold? I love gold, there's so much gold there! Plus copper, there's our weapons metal. And so, so much sand. Beautiful sand!

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 06:39:45 pm »

Alright looking like site one then. I'll get started tonight :) Don't worry puffer there is plenty of sand not so much in  the way of precious metal but there is a sprinkling of aluminum and platnum

Oh and puffer in honor of your sand obsession i chose our civ to be The Dead Glaze. The Fortress name shall be: Gravecinders
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:09:06 pm by ORCACommander »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 07:21:31 pm »

Awww Yisss.

Can't wait to play :D

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gravecinders: Thirst Upon the Blazing Plain
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 07:47:54 pm »

I hope everyone is subscribed to here as i changed the topic name a bit :P

first year should not take to long

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 08:31:30 pm »

Oh and puffer in honor of your sand obsession i chose our civ to be The Dead Glaze. The Fortress name shall be: Gravecinders

Upon the distant northern desert, sand melts to glass under the Cyclopean gaze of Least Blazes, bringing forth Gravecinders, of The Dead Glazes. And thus was inflicted upon the continent another Dwarf Fortress.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 12:12:41 am »

ORCACommander's Journal:

1st of Granite in the Year 1051
What a New Year’s celebration we had last night. However, it may have been most unwise to have downed all that sunshine. Our fearless Expedition leader Ozarck bet those Humans back in town we could get over this damn volcano. We almost had it to until the wagon's axle broke. Moreover, our carpenter, in his infinite wisdom, forgot to bring logs to allow us to make repairs. The heat is unbearable and everyone is gona take up a pick except our carpenter who shall fell the green scrawny things. Only way to escape is to strike the earth!

2nd of Granite in the Year 1051
Started excavations today. The heat is unbearable. I have no idea how we will keep the livestock fed and cool. But damn is there is no good place to build an entrance.
I think I may have found a good entry point on an outcrop but it is further from the lava level of the volcano. I itch to be at my forge again!

On an organizational note, ReaverAxis decided to appoint himself as militia commander despite falafel and myself being the better swords. Oh well I have plans to bring him up to snuff }:D>

3rd of Granite in the Year 1051
Decided the entrance will also be our largest warehouses. Now if I can just figure out where to put a dormitory

6th of Granite in the Year 1051
Been nearly a week with no relief in sight. Starting to wonder if we are missed at all. Well we have a spot now for us to sleep but still nothing to sleep on. Oh, well at least it’s cool in here.

4th of Slate in the Year 1051
This volcano appears to be rich in hematite. This hematite is of a fine quality and can't wait to get my hands on it and work with it. Perhaps we will make this place a permanent outpost, it may be a bit macabre but we have taken to calling this place Gravecinders. Perhaps when the wagon is fixed we will send a currier to the Mountainhomes about the mineral and gem wealth of this mountain. The Dead Glaze though is very far away though. It would explain why no one has found us yet.

9th of Slate in the Year 1051
Not much to report today apart from their being ACTUAL RAIN! We’ve already lost some livestock to dehydration so this is a welcome turn. In the mean time, I have relented a bit on the pace of excavations and just returning mining duties to those who were supposed to have it in the first place.

5th of Felsite in the Year 1051
First bed out of that damn carpenter’s workshop. My back feels better already. I am still concerned over the health of livestock. No food in the hollow but it’s the only place where they are cool enough to not go insane.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:45:05 pm by ORCACommander »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 03:30:19 pm »

That human really got under my skin. "King under the mountain," my ass. On reflection, the bet may have been a bit hasty. I'd go back and beat that human into kobold butter, if it weren't so blasted hot out there. They had some good beer, though.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 11:47:41 pm »

After the in character section of my post ReaverAxis is up, He will have 1 week from sunday to complete his year in.

<<Spring 1052 DOWNLOAD>>

ORCACommander's Journal

6th of Felsite of the Year 1051

I’ve taken to pasturing the animals outside for no more than a few days.
Before summer hits I thought it would be wise to record the temperature outside. Currently it is 10072 Urist right now.

1st of Hematite of the Year 1051

First official day of summer and no relief in site. We’re digging in deeper for the long haul. Next on the construction list is a dining hall and food storage warehouse. I am rather inspired by this one from the history books. While the fortress name in my mind has faded from time, the illustration is quite clear. It shall be in the shape of a cross. Also setting up some basic industry levels.
I’m surprised. Still 1072 out. We shall see.

23rd of Malachite of the Year 1051

Some lost hunters have joined us thirsty souls. I have not yet thought what to do with them but so I will let them practice their trade for now.

23rd of Galena of the Year 1051
Thankfully the summer is almost over and the temperature did not exceed 1072. However, we came across a sulking Kobold outside our retreat. No doubt looking to pilfer one of the many jewels we have found. I have also decided our hunters would be of better use in mason shop and gem cutters and perhaps a crossbow guard in response to this new threat of our survival. In the mean time, I will have Dastot become a butcher. We’ll run out of provisions soon I suppose.

28th of Galena of the Year 1051
Another Damn thief! The last one got away with some serious injuries. Apparently, that is not enough of a deterrent! Me and Falafel are going out to finish them off.

4th of Limestone of the Year 1051

*A masterwork smattering of brown stains spot this page*

Damn Kobold blood won’t come off my damn armor and sword. And it’s too damn hot to drink. I wonder if the Humans we gambled that money off that sent us over hear have something to do with all these Kobolds? It’s very easy to get them to do something for you if you give them a bit of shiny. Perhaps they wish to recover their losses by less than legitimate or sporting means?
Dining hall is almost finished enough to start furnishing. Then we can finally sit down with a drink rather than diving our faces into the barrels.

1st of Sandstone of the Year 1051

Soon winter shall be among us. I can only hope for a drop in temperatures that might let us keep the livestock outdoors. The spitting of the camels is intolerable.

15th of Sandstone of the Year 1051

Two more hapless dwarves have shown up. What could those damn humans be doing? Sending us out here to die like this? It’s almost as if their ears are pointy… I’ve added the new comers to the Stone Cutter’s Guild to help speed up excavations.

1th of Timber of the Year 1051

A fortnight ago I heard the latest two talking to each other. Thought nothing of it but heard a snatch of one asking when he thought the others would show up. It eventually faded from my mind when nothing happened the next few days. But Now this! A Liaison from the Mountainhomes has arrived and is demanding to speak with Ozarck! Can you Believe it? Apparently the Mountainhomes have known where we are for a long time and sent no help! Not only that they are deciding to make us a permanent outpost.  Can’t say I totally regret this and I was toying over the idea of it my mind. Not to mention the quality of this hematite is delightful. Unfortunately, a trade caravan came with the liaison and we have nothing but a few thrones and tables to throw on it.

21st of Timber of the Year 1051

Spoke with Ozark. He has thankfully asked about getting us some wood and more food and wine. That will be a godsend but its not coming for a year at least. He also tells me that they will pay exceptionally well for some tools, hats, spears and war hammers. Not sure if will be able to oblige in time on the weapons but some simple stone tools like pots and nest boxes we should have in abundance. I still want to smack about Lor and Zuglar for them keeping quiet about home knowing about our plight. Alas, assault is frowned upon so I may find a bit more creative way of getting back at them.

22st of Timber of the Year 1051

While Ozarck was busy asleep, I managed to procure us some more wood food and booze. We’ll need it in the coming months. Doubtless, my good friend would have been trying to gamble away our credit on the few items we can trade for some giant dessert tortoise shell encrusted crutch.

9th of Moonstone of the Year 1051

The Merchants will soon be departing and I anticipate the dining area to be finished with its food storage beneath to be completed by the end of the year. At which time I will step down from overseeing things for a while and hopefully get back to smithing. I will also point out it is still a blistering 1072 Urist out and its winter now.

19th of Obsidian of the Year 1051

Another kobold thief. Puffer found him near our trade depot. Again, Falafel and I go out to deal with it. Soon it will be one year here and I will sit back and relax a while. Train with my weapons and smith some of them as well. A pleasant thought considering all the backbreaking hauling I have had to do lately.

20th of Obsidian of the Year 1051

Another one! Bloody bastards work in pairs. The other may have been too quick to catch but we’ll skewer this one!

*begins with a wide smearing brown stain* Mmm We should probably immolate the kobold corpses. Skulking filth they are they do not deserve being savaged by carrion eaters.
As a final note it is still 1072 Urist. What the bloody hell is wrong with this mountain? Maybe it’s the volcano…

28th of Obsidian of the Year 1051

What a way to end a year except in more kobold blood? I feel bad for falafel. I keep on killing the poor bastards before he shows up. Run off or sliced and diced I do not much care at this point. Just looking forward to a good rest. Also we have come up with a name four our little government of seven, The Mountainous Armory. I hope I can in time make that more truth than boast :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:53:02 pm by ORCACommander »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 12:54:54 am »

"Mountainhome recognizes your wit in trading, your thirst (heh heh) for adventure, and your passion for leadership. We can only acknowledge such traits by granting your team full rights and responsibilities here on this mighty forge." That's what that  - grrr - that kobold's buttock of an outpost liaison said! This'll be the last time I get drunk, boast to humans, and break down wandering across a volcano, that's for sure! Adn to top it all off, OrcaCommander will not shut up about that blasted tortoise shell crutch! You make one drunken purchase, you never live it down around here! -grumble- It was years ago, years! I need a drink.

OrcaCommander, your updates are very entertaining. Nicely done. I hope I do half as well.

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 01:17:48 am »

Hey man, you can take care of as many kobolds as you want, I'll be in the dining room

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2013, 01:22:39 pm »

he told me he would be starting on his part today. Relax he is just more of a lurker on the forums these days. And be patient. everyone has a week to get their year done. I was just exceptionally fast. and as a standard I want them to be sunday to sunday weeks so technically reaver has a week from this sunday.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2013, 03:33:49 pm »

I will be out of town starting Sunday, and going until at least Wednesday, so I will not be checking the forum during that time. :-[ :-X

I look forward to hearing all about ReaverAxis' escapades when I return.  :o 8)
Have a good week, everyone!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14