Poll

Should this be locked?

Yes
- 10 (76.9%)
No
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Your opinion on women in the military?  (Read 51374 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on women in the military?
« Reply #240 on: May 21, 2013, 08:29:38 am »

Heh, interesting topic

My personal opinion on women in army = it's totally OK in the modern world. In the past economical and military strength of a nation was largely based on population and losing potential babies undermined future too much. Now, we have no such problem.

Combat ability? Professional sport shows that female athletes have something like 70-85% of male strength, depending on the sport in question. That's not that big difference even for physically demanding military professions. Less demanding, like snipers or tank crews couldn't care less

Mixed gender platoons? It's never have been done on larger scale, but Israeli Caracal battalion shows that there are no serious problem in that. After all why army should be different to any other place? Civilians can work in mixed gender environments, why military can't? Yep, romantic relations will exist, but again, civilians can handle this, military should be able, too

But for professional army no easier access should exist... If Army ( or any other organization) has some demands, those should be fulfilled fully, else that is inequality discriminating men
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 21, 2013, 08:47:30 am »

I didn't read much past the first page, but I find the arguments thrown around here really silly.

Equal opportunities is what you're looking for. Affirmative action is sometimes called positive discrimination - which in my view, is always a negative.

And FYI, OP, a lot of rapes in the Central African Republic, where banditry is rife, are committed by women. Same goes for the DR Congo with its warbands. Now, the Afghan reality is obviously a lot different to that of Central Africa as women very much were second-class citizens (in cities at least, less so in rural areas) under Taliban rule and couldn't become soldiers. But to say that all rapes are committed by men is feminist bullcrap. Plain and simple.

I don't doubt it happens, but sources please. I'd like to define a lot, as well as learning more about their circumstances.

Incidentally, I'm inevitably going to ask this, so, all things considered, what would the perfect soldier/space marine actually look like? And who usually make up the female recruits? Are there any state that overshadow others? Etc.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2013, 09:26:54 am »

Rate eligibility at 15-24 requires a 2.4km run in 11 minutes 13 seconds. Women get 2 minutes and 2 seconds extra.
SAS, SBS, SRR eligibility requires a 2.4km run in under 9 minutes and 30 seconds, followed by 44 pressups and 50 sit ups in two minutes. That is the initial test. This is what follows.
Most joining an elite branch or applying for special training will have come from some other military branch with its own training regime, like the RM.
There is much more to do with the elite forces than giving a small target. Small stature generally does not help you at all. Being strong and basically unbreakable, much better.

I see.

Tl;dr
Physical profiling is stupid, base eligibility on ability.

Is my response.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2013, 09:36:01 am »

I didn't read much past the first page, but I find the arguments thrown around here really silly.

Equal opportunities is what you're looking for. Affirmative action is sometimes called positive discrimination - which in my view, is always a negative.

And FYI, OP, a lot of rapes in the Central African Republic, where banditry is rife, are committed by women. Same goes for the DR Congo with its warbands. Now, the Afghan reality is obviously a lot different to that of Central Africa as women very much were second-class citizens (in cities at least, less so in rural areas) under Taliban rule and couldn't become soldiers. But to say that all rapes are committed by men is feminist bullcrap. Plain and simple.

I don't doubt it happens, but sources please. I'd like to define a lot, as well as learning more about their circumstances.

Incidentally, I'm inevitably going to ask this, so, all things considered, what would the perfect soldier/space marine actually look like? And who usually make up the female recruits? Are there any state that overshadow others? Etc.
Spoiler: You [i (click to show/hide)

But in all seriousness, the definition of a "perfect" soldier varies widely depending on what you see the purpose of soldiers and war as. A solider who (as now) has been conditioned throughout life with patriotic, nationalist propaganda and in training to see their enemies as subhuman will probably be a more efficient tool up until the moment they break, but a humanistic, compassionate soldier who questions objectionable orders would interfere even in times where there shouldn't be interference. Personally I would argue that there is no such thing, as we as a species cannot make war without sacrificing something of ourselves. I'm not entirely certain what you were trying to say with your last two questions, though.

Rate eligibility at 15-24 requires a 2.4km run in 11 minutes 13 seconds. Women get 2 minutes and 2 seconds extra.
SAS, SBS, SRR eligibility requires a 2.4km run in under 9 minutes and 30 seconds, followed by 44 pressups and 50 sit ups in two minutes. That is the initial test. This is what follows.
Most joining an elite branch or applying for special training will have come from some other military branch with its own training regime, like the RM.
There is much more to do with the elite forces than giving a small target. Small stature generally does not help you at all. Being strong and basically unbreakable, much better.

I see.

Tl;dr
Physical profiling is stupid, base eligibility on ability.

Is my response.

Are you daft? Or are you intentionally conflating profiling someone on the basis of gender (ethnicity, etc.) with selecting recruits based on their ability to perform the tasks their job requires? There's a key point here: one of those things is bigoted and wrong, the other is a necessary element whenever individuals are selected to do something. It shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #244 on: May 21, 2013, 09:38:46 am »

All things considered, what would the perfect soldier/space marine actually look like?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In all seriousness:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The dog is part of standard equipment.
Someone painted up this guy in standard Ultramarine armour, it's a fit. Gotta find that pic somewhere in my computer...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 21, 2013, 09:42:15 am »

His bicep is bigger than her head.
If wonder if he can touch his scapula.  i.e. who scratches his back?
Does he turn red?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 21, 2013, 09:44:16 am »

I want that pic. Well, given the variability of psychological aspects, i mean physically, from a min-maxing perspective, e.g, realistically weighing up benefits and ills and factoring that into physique without futuristic technology.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 21, 2013, 10:04:55 am »

Are you daft? Or are you intentionally conflating profiling someone on the basis of gender (ethnicity, etc.) with selecting recruits based on their ability to perform the tasks their job requires? There's a key point here: one of those things is bigoted and wrong, the other is a necessary element whenever individuals are selected to do something. It shouldn't be hard to figure out.

You're obviously unaware that profiling does automatically exclude otherwise qualified women from selection on the basis of their gender. It's nice in such an egalitarian society to see such vehement defense of enforcing gender roles.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #248 on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:02 am »

You're obviously unaware that profiling does automatically exclude otherwise qualified women from selection on the basis of their gender. It's nice in such an egalitarian society to see such vehement defense of enforcing gender roles.
How would enforcing base standards for both sexes be enforcing gender roles, or are you talking about something else entirely? What profiling?
Being able to perform is a requisite that belongs in a meritocratic structure.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 21, 2013, 10:31:26 am »

Edit: Oh yeah, has it been brought up that same sex units might be a good idea because you're more likely to forge a friendship with a same-sex person than an opposite-sex one? Just curious, it's something I don't think has been explored.

I think this exact line of thought was one of the reasons units were originally segregated by race.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 21, 2013, 10:36:44 am »

By profiling, he means saying stuff like "No women in the military at all, they aren't strong enough to pass the tests." without letting women ever try to take the tests and pass them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #251 on: May 21, 2013, 10:48:56 am »

By profiling, he means saying stuff like "No women in the military at all, they aren't strong enough to pass the tests." without letting women ever try to take the tests and pass them.
How can that be the case when the standards are lowered for them?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 21, 2013, 10:54:21 am »

Who said that all women can't pass the test? They aren't that harsh for a female body. It's not like the tests are of male Olympic champions level
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:05:42 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 21, 2013, 11:03:47 am »

It was funny, after I posted this topic and saw the first few replies, I though to myself:
OHSHITSHITSHIT this is trollbait.
Then it turned out that the only troll was me. Everyone else is citing their sources and apologizing for misunderstandings.

THIS IS THE BEST FORUM EVER!

On topic:
Really, as long as the test is equal (right now, it isn't), and women are made aware of the hygiene and privacy issues (there isn't any), then we have equality.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 21, 2013, 11:05:52 am »

I can troll if trolls are needed.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24