Poll

Should this be locked?

Yes
- 10 (76.9%)
No
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24

Author Topic: Your opinion on women in the military?  (Read 51389 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Your opinion on women in the military?
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2013, 06:28:29 pm »

Also, with the whole, "We're going to be experiencing a population crises some time in the next hundred years" I think that argument kind of loses a lot of steam.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2013, 06:29:37 pm »

By "population crisis", what do you mean? Too little, too much, or the right amount just with a lower standard of living?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 20, 2013, 06:30:26 pm »

I'm waiting for the conflicts over clean water to explode and garner public attention.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 20, 2013, 06:30:56 pm »

Fun Fact: The UN estimates for population in the future places us at 2 billion in 2300.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2013, 06:31:58 pm »

I can roll with that. Nothing wrong with 2b population with a high tec industry to support it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 20, 2013, 06:32:07 pm »

Fun Fact: The UN estimates for population in the future places us at 2 billion in 2300.
Due to what?  war, famine, or just the declining birth rates of industrialized nations?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 20, 2013, 06:33:34 pm »

Due to what?  war, famine, or just the declining birth rates of industrialized nations?
Gradual decline, but don't tell that to Alex Jones, he'd love to say it's from a planned extermination campaign.

The report admits that it might not be accurate past 2100 due to difficulties in imagining future society.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 20, 2013, 06:34:49 pm »

What are we at for 2100 then? Are we in decline by that point?

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2013, 06:37:58 pm »

By "population crisis", what do you mean? Too little, too much, or the right amount just with a lower standard of living?

I'm talking about the "too many people" thing. It's not something I particularly put a lot of stock in since it's such an inexact science, but with human population increasing exponentially with the advent of new medicines, food production, and architectural breakthroughs, it's conceivable that, eventually, the human race might get too big for our britches.

Also, the only projections I'm seeing for 2100 is 10.1 billion in the wikipedia article I linked. 10 Billion is the median for most estimates on how much the Earth can support.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2013, 06:40:39 pm »

I really just wish that there were fewer people around in general.  I'm not feeling comfy with this number of humans.

I'm absolutely terrified of dying alone (always have been, always will be), but I'm pretty sure I won't be having any kids.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2013, 06:44:42 pm »

I really just wish that there were fewer people around in general.  I'm not feeling comfy with this number of humans.

I'm absolutely terrified of dying alone (always have been, always will be), but I'm pretty sure I won't be having any kids.

What's terrifying about dying alone?  Seems to me that's preferable, I don't understand why it would be a source of fear.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2013, 06:46:16 pm »

What are we at for 2100 then? Are we in decline by that point?
In the "High" scenario, where growth continues at 2010 levels indefinitely (see:impossible), no, we're at 14 billion and rising. In this scenario, we are at 36.4 billion come 2300.

In the "Medium" scenario, where growth continues to decline and eventually levels out at replacement, yes, we're at 9.1 billion and going steady. In this scenario, there is a slight dip down to 8.5 billion between 2100 and 2300, returning to 9 billion by 2300.

In the "Low" scenario, where growth drops and does not level out at replacement, oh yeah, we're at 5.5 billion and going down fast. In this scenario, we stabilize at around 2.3 billion come 2300.

Here's the full report if you want it.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2013, 06:46:36 pm »

I've lived such an isolated life that it would be symbolic of total failure to accomplish life-time goals of creating ties with other people.  It would mean that I'd passed to old age and never been of use to anyone.

Basically, it brings together a lot of personal neuroses into one infernal cluster.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2013, 06:48:56 pm »

Peak oil. It will be a source of bad times for all.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2013, 06:50:37 pm »

Aren't we already past peak oil? Didn't that already happen?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24