Poll

Should this be locked?

Yes
- 10 (76.9%)
No
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Author Topic: Your opinion on women in the military?  (Read 51380 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on women in the military?
« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2013, 07:56:39 pm »

Putting mediocre troops that just meet the requirements is a recipe for getting your soldiers shot up.

If the standards set by the minimum requirements aren't good enough, raise the requirements, for everybody.  If they are good enough, why are they not good enough when it's a woman meeting them?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2013, 08:00:54 pm »

The problem with this is the Whole Professional Military thing. Remember the lack of a draft means we get to pick and choose, and there are a lot of people out there willing to die for there country. We aren't short on soldiers per se.

But we are short on Type A Best-of-the-Best soldiers.  So we need some Type B Get-Er-Done soldiers.  Some of those happen to be women.  Why call them mediocre, just because they happen to have tits?

I'm going to add that that whole thing about women not being psychologically intimidating enough is, uh. . . it's interesting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2013, 08:05:13 pm »

I'm going to add that that whole thing about women not being psychologically intimidating enough is, uh. . . it's interesting.
I find just about anybody looking to kill me intimidating.
Actually I can just imagine a camp of guys laughing at a female enemy, until she stabs one of them with a bayonet. Then they collapse in a fit of hysterics. I'm pretty sure it will be directed by Tarantino.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 20, 2013, 08:07:57 pm »

Actually I can just imagine a camp of guys laughing at a female enemy, until she stabs one of them with a bayonet. Then they collapse in a fit of hysterics. I'm pretty sure it will be directed by Tarantino.
I just had that mental image.

Now I'm thinking of a scene from NCIS, where Ziva is at a Marine shooting range. She fires three shots, then mentions to the commanding officer how his scope is off. He makes some sexist comment, then the target comes up and he sees three head shots.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #199 on: May 20, 2013, 08:16:11 pm »

I cleaned up a mess of internet gibberish.  I was also called in here about some kerfuffle over misquoting and possible trolling and so on.  People should try to be okay, instead of going out of their way to make things worse for other people.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 20, 2013, 08:18:09 pm »

Thank you for that Toady.
Now, I believe we were onto something about women and peek oil?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 20, 2013, 08:21:48 pm »

Close combat training.  One of the exercises was confronting an attractive female monkeying with some fuses.  She starts flirting with you and *wham*  you dead, got a knife in your throat.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #202 on: May 20, 2013, 08:38:04 pm »

Intimidation isn't everything. My mom was an actor in one of those role play military training camps (Yes, my mom got paid to LARP), and she had some pretty fun experiences. In particular, she once approached an Army camp and was telling everyone she lost her wallet. The soldiers at the gate weren't sure what to do, so they brought her to their sergeant. The sergeant wasn't sure what to do, so he brought her to his colonel. The colonel wasn't sure what to do, so he brought her to the general.

She stepped into the general's tent, opens the coat that no one bothered searching, and says, "Boom, you're all dead."

Yeah, it was awesome. My mom is the best pretend suicide bomber, and had the best job ever.

I'm guessing that if a woman had been on post instead of just men, she wouldn't have had any qualms about turning my mom away.

Not only that, you'll be hard pressed to tell whether or not the person shooting at you is a woman or not in most combat situations.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:40:56 pm by Knight of Fools »
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 20, 2013, 09:09:40 pm »

However, even if Women have a genetic potential to be as strong, and have higher degrees of toughness and clearer judgement in crisis situations than Men, you could make a legitimate argument that this was irrelevant; so long as most cultures dissuade girls from striving for Physical Strength as they grow into adults, fewer women will make for top-tier soldiers. But that said, here's where this argument comes in:

But we are short on Type A Best-of-the-Best soldiers.  So we need some Type B Get-Er-Done soldiers.  Some of those happen to be women.

Any profession could use more "Best Of The Best" people. Regarding jobs that require physical strength, most of those Best of the Best types living today are men. However, the majority of people both male and female occupy the middle ground, and would make for "Type B" soldiers at best. Take a look at this chart of raw human strength, measured by each individuals' sex and age: (Source)

(Click to Embiggen)

When looking at the physical strength of people from the A and B trials, there is a larger sample size of Strong Men than there are of Strong Women, and a smaller sample size of Weak Men than of Weak Women. However, take a look at the area between the lines measuring the average strength of Men and Women. These are your "Type B" soldiers; not as strong as the strongest people in the world, but not weak either. You may notice that they're made up of roughly equal parts Men and Women, especially toward the 20-40 years range where most soldiering is done.

The jury on whether Men are genetically disposed to being stronger than Women is still out, because the world-as-it-exists prevents us from conducting that research without a heavy bias in favor of Men. Until cultural ideas change, existing Women by and large will not seek to be, and thus will not become, as strong as existing Men. However, among humans of average strength, we find equal parts Men and Women, with no heavy leaning toward either.

If we based our Military Entrance Exams on this Human Average, rather than on a separate Male Average and Female Average, I think we'd end up with a lot more capable soldiers on the ground (both male and female), as well as fewer people with false conceptions about the capabilities of women.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:38:17 pm by Solifuge »

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #204 on: May 20, 2013, 09:27:13 pm »

Looking at that graph, there's a 65 year old woman on graph B that's above and beyond even most of the above average men, coming out stronger than nearly every single man in graph A at just under 300 Nm of Torque. I find that hilarious and awesome.

It's pretty hard to read with all of the large manly black dots covering up all the womanly small white squares, though.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 20, 2013, 09:38:11 pm »

I thought this one was pretty much understood. Humans are sexually dimorphic, and greater strength is more prevalent in males. We know this because we understand the chemistry of it. I mean it is one thing to look at these graphs and look for easons for this outcome such at biology or cultural factors, but we are actually capable of understanding, to some degree, the human metabolism and know how it all works.
Although you don't really have to, just look at all of our closest relatives. Are we going to say that in great apes the males tend to be stronger because they are all sexist?

The thing that you have to remember is that:
1. A general statistical trend does not mean a rule. There are plenty of very physically strong women out there.
2. To be equal, you do not have to be the same. If the strongest woman on earth was weaker than the weakest man, that still doesn't make women less deserving of equal rights.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 20, 2013, 09:42:19 pm »

Looking at that graph, there's a 65 year old woman on graph B that's above and beyond even most of the above average men, coming out stronger than nearly every single man in graph A at just under 300 Nm of Torque. I find that hilarious and awesome.

It's pretty hard to read with all of the large manly black dots covering up all the womanly small white squares, though.

Somewhere, a small boy is telling a large fifth grader that his grandma could kick everyone's ass.

The fifth grader laughs, but the small boy knows.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2013, 09:44:00 pm »

From experience, there is a reason the military invented and constantly used the acronyms FUBAR and SNAFU and will forever. This is the military we're talking about here. The motto is and has always been, "If it makes sense, we won't do it."

If it can be screwed up, a way to screw it up will be found and if need be invented, if at all possible while betting on something.

Now, as I recall, most were trying to get out of this situation: Exhibit A:

Then of course there's the crappy pay: Exhibit B:

Now, that said the only real problem is going to be troop discipline. Granted most of the time, that's faked enough so the officers leave everybody else alone stop screaming quite so much, but meh.

But if you really want in on that crap, you go right ahead. Don't say you weren't warned.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2013, 10:01:14 pm »

If the strongest woman on earth was weaker than the weakest man, that still doesn't make women less deserving of equal rights

The question ultimately what is the military bar based off of?

I know the Ambulance physical test AND Firefighter physical test is on actually being able to lift and carry people over a distance. As in their physical fitness requirements can be measured and calculated in quantifiable terms.

My personal assumption is that the Military test is based off of being generally fit and their bar is based off of averages.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 20, 2013, 10:02:57 pm »

Personally, I'd put shooting straight over physical fitness, though they are both important.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24