Poll

Should this be locked?

Yes
- 10 (76.9%)
No
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: Your opinion on women in the military?  (Read 51289 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on women in the military?
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2013, 03:54:59 pm »

The mental health is an important consideration.  Men and women do behave differently, and think differently, down to the chemical.

I don't think they cant do it, I think putting them with men on a boat that's underway for three months and only surfaces once a week for less than two hours is a mistake.

The mental health is not a different test, afaik.  Its measuring the capacity.  I've been under the impressions theyve been weedling down the requirements to help women.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2013, 03:56:34 pm »

I'll add that I've done a lot of looking for differences in stress response articles.

What's said is that men go for "fight or flight," and women go for "tend and befriend."  Which one of these is probably better for group cohesiveness?

Now, I'm sure that someone meant some different research, but this is what I could find thus far, so I figured I'd bring it up.

And cocaine in rats, my bad.  Some of us still have classes to attend.

I feel you, bro.  I'm in the middle of a 15-page paper.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2013, 03:57:44 pm »

Submarines sound horrible, I can't believe we're letting men onto those things.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2013, 03:59:19 pm »

Submarines probably will be one of the first parts of the military to be semi or fully automated, because they are indeed pretty horrible (and all that life support is a waste of space if you can just have computers do the work).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2013, 04:00:57 pm »

No, I didn't say those things.
Then when you have said 'oppression, acceptance, understanding, doubt,' and being 'receptive,' they have not meant what you think they mean.
Your putting words in my mouth, then telling me that I don't know what understand what I am saying.
No you said that right here:
Genetics can be the result of oppression.

Acceptance is the beginning of understanding.  Doubt is the next step, and only works if you are receptive to the possibility of new ideas.
Then I'm telling you those words; they are not what you think they mean, if what I described was not what you intended.

If you see any ad hominems, point 'em out to me.
Eh, this forum doesn't do much of that. Least of not you! It's just people still do authority appeals and all that.

And a list of "female health problems" that aren't exactly female health problems.
Pregnancy and different living conditions under health.
Current issue I've been trying to address is that the standards are lowered for female rates. The worst rates they are sending are not on an equal performance with the worst male rates sent.

Submarines probably will be one of the first parts of the military to be semi or fully automated, because they are indeed pretty horrible (and all that life support is a waste of space if you can just have computers do the work).
Taking the human out of war is always a bad decision in my opinion.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2013, 04:02:01 pm »

The mental health is an important consideration.  Men and women do behave differently, and think differently, down to the chemical.
Are you going to put an asterisk on this to note the fact that it's only generally true? If it worked like this all the time we wouldn't have transgendered individuals, or any number of the possibilities on the very broad spectrum that is the human experience.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2013, 04:04:36 pm »

Your opinions will not change cost effectiveness. We are entering an age of automated war machines, it is thus fortunate that we are also entering an age of peace.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2013, 04:05:31 pm »

I imagine debaters in the 2020s will argue that humans are far too fragile and emotional to be allowed in the military, and that war should be left to the strong and focused robots.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2013, 04:06:30 pm »

Are you going to put an asterisk on this to note the fact that it's only generally true? If it worked like this all the time we wouldn't have transgendered individuals, or any number of the possibilities on the very broad spectrum that is the human experience.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2711771/

Physically different.  Not sure if social differences account for the differences or genetic or what.  I'm sure studies will eventually be done.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2013, 04:06:40 pm »

Your opinions will not change cost effectiveness. We are entering an age of automated war machines, it is thus fortunate that we are also entering an age of peace.
I know that someone's going to challenge that, so I'll just quote the statistics now and say that deaths due to war are down by 50% since the 90s.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2013, 04:07:15 pm »

Screw the money I have opinions!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2013, 04:13:05 pm »

Submarines sound horrible, I can't believe we're letting men onto those things.

Yeah, and men have a much higher suicide rate and all that.  It'd be safer to replace them with female-only crews :)

[/trolling]

Eh, this forum doesn't do much of that. Least of not you! It's just people still do authority appeals and all that.

Yes, well. . . if you see any of that from me, too, then you should point that out >_>

Pregnancy and different living conditions under health.
Current issue I've been trying to address is that the standards are lowered for female rates. The worst rates they are sending are not on an equal performance with the worst male rates sent.

Yes, but that had nothing to do with that article.

Here's the thing that I keep on trying to tell people about the math department.  At my university, a woman was denied tenure and sued for misogyny (she had a solid case; the guy who vetoed her said something about staying in the kitchen or similar).  Nowadays, people still question whether she has a right to teach at my school, saying that she's not exactly the best of the best.

But that's the thing--why should we only hire women who can compete with "the best of the best?"  We'll hire talented men and best-of-the-best men, but only best-of-the-best women can be hired?  That doesn't make sense!

Similarly, we've got all those people talking about how we need more female directors being wildly successful.  Well, no, we also need to act like female directors have the right to make shitty B movies, same as every dude.  Why should women have to be better than men in order to be considered equal?

So this is what I'm trying to say.  What you say about the worst women being worse than the worst men does not matter as long as they all surpass a particular baseline.

Oh, and for everyone so worried about menstruation: we already solved that problem.

Quote from: Most recent paper
Given the paucity of information on menstrual cycle effects, this paper will review studies that evaluated differences between men and women regardless of whether the menstrual cycle was controlled, and will make note of menstrual cycle effects when known.

I hope they're also controlling for this.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2013, 04:21:57 pm »

What's said is that men go for "fight or flight," and women go for "tend and befriend."  Which one of these is probably better for group cohesiveness?
In immediate danger, ie under enemy fire, I'd rather go with the former.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2013, 04:23:41 pm »

It's an irrelevance, as the behaviors are only trended by gender, not decided. Anyone would fight under attack. You could also make the argument that "tend and befriend" is good for instilling deeper group loyalty and thus a more fierce fight when the group is threatened.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2013, 04:24:12 pm »

Yes, but that had nothing to do with that article.
Which one? I'm a bit lost here.

But that's the thing--why should we only hire women who can compete with "the best of the best?"  We'll hire talented men and best-of-the-best men, but only best-of-the-best women can be hired?  That doesn't make sense!
If you're talking about the military on the front lines, it's because people's lives rest on the quality of those soldiers.
If you're talking about submarines in the nuclear nations, it's because they are literally run by the best of the best and carry WMDs.
So it should be the best of the best irregardless of gender.

So this is what I'm trying to say.  What you say about the worst women being worse than the worst men does not matter as long as they all surpass a particular baseline.
That particular baseline being lower than the male baseline. Why not let people who are diseased in? Why not those with physical disabilities too? Pass a standard baseline for both genders with no discrimination, the quality is assured and equal opportunity is given.
Otherwise you are giving an advantage to less-abled persons simply for being a woman.

Yeah, and men have a much higher suicide rate and all that.  It'd be safer to replace them with female-only crews :)

[/trolling]
Who's to say this could't work?

Vector just did generalizations!
D: D: D: D: D:

[/do really need to make this box to say I'm joking?]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24