Poll

Should this be locked?

Yes
- 10 (76.9%)
No
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24

Author Topic: Your opinion on women in the military?  (Read 51264 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on women in the military?
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It should look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stop twisting my words, and removing them from context.  What purpose does it serve?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2013, 04:28:17 pm »

The other things quoted were said by other people >_>

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2013, 04:30:53 pm »

Irrelevant

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2013, 04:32:04 pm »

That particular baseline being lower than the male baseline.

Is there a single person in this thread that thinks women should be held to lower standards to enter the military?

I don't think anyone's actually arguing for that point (or anyone was in the first place), but there are quite a few people still arguing against it. And it seems that due to the lack of people arguing for it, people are just assuming that whoever they're responding to at the time supports it.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2013, 04:38:36 pm »

That particular baseline being lower than the male baseline.
Is there a single person in this thread that thinks women should be held to lower standards to enter the military?
It has not been a supported position by a single person in any post within this thread.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2013, 04:41:19 pm »

Irrelevant
Are you talking about me deleting the quotes attached?

Because I do that as a matter of etiquette. It stops quote pyramids that explode the forum. In regards to your quotes specifically, I quoted the full quote each time and the links were still up so anyone could follow the conversation that led to the points being made.

All I did was question oppression ingrained in our genetics, and asked for evidence in the contrary.

I don't think anyone's actually arguing for that point (or anyone was in the first place), but there are quite a few people still arguing against it. And it seems that due to the lack of people arguing for it, people are just assuming that whoever they're responding to at the time supports it.
Vector made a good point in favour of different standards for men and women, that I feel would be better for jobs that do not carry the gravity of a military career.
What you say about the worst women being worse than the worst men does not matter as long as they all surpass a particular baseline.

[Reasons for this view given in post]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2013, 04:48:06 pm »

Oh, I reread that and your reaction makes more sense. My mistake.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2013, 04:53:13 pm »

For most jobs physical strength is irrelevant anyway. For the ones where it does matter, you really don't want to implement lower standards because you'd be sacrificing efficiency and safety.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2013, 04:54:35 pm »

That isn't what Vector was saying with that post.  She was saying that women should only have to be as good as the other men who get in, not as good as the very best men who get in.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2013, 04:54:55 pm »

I think we're working towards beating out the misunderstandings and slight differences in opinion, right now. No one's come out and said directly that women are inferior; in fact, most of the counter arguments are just, "What about this problem?"

Oh, and for everyone so worried about menstruation: we already solved that problem.

Quote from: Most recent paper
Given the paucity of information on menstrual cycle effects, this paper will review studies that evaluated differences between men and women regardless of whether the menstrual cycle was controlled, and will make note of menstrual cycle effects when known.

I hope they're also controlling for this.

I suppose that solves that, but I don't imagine hordes of women would be excited about having medical instruments placed inside of them to prevent pregnancy and menstruation just so they can perform a particular job. I know I wouldn't be thrilled at the prospect.

Here's what I think: Same tests, same everything for both genders. Can't pass the PT test? Sorry, no Army for you. Tend to go crazy during weeks underwater? No submarines for you.

I know for a fact that I wouldn't be able to do either of those, but that doesn't mean there aren't women who are willing and able to. If they can and want to, I don't have a problem with that. I don't care about genetic differences that may or may not mean women are as able to do those things as men: If they want that chance, give it to them.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2013, 04:56:27 pm »

That isn't what Vector was saying with that post.  She was saying that women should only have to be as good as the other men who get in, not as good as the very best men who get in.
I thought we all agreed on that.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2013, 04:57:23 pm »

I remember for Firefighters who basically fight forest fires (I forget their name) had a problem with very low amounts of women who can pass the physical exam.

So what they did is they looked at the list of Bonafide occupational requirements and found that some of them were based around preferences but weren't required for the job at all (such as sprint speed). Which the Women set of requirements are simply based upon a more logical set.

I will also say that indeed there have been times when the Bonafide occupational requirements that DID make sense were ignored and had to be readjusted (for example there was an ambulance worker, female, who couldn't lift the patient... but that has since been adjusted). Yet for this it just means that there will have to be specific women positions.

Since the military to my knowledge has more of an issue with not enough soldiers rather then too many. So making platoons based on a adjusted physical requirement shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Though if I had to guess where women have been failing, I am going to guess it is just gear load.

As in the issue isn't that a woman can't shoot, cannot run, and cannot do her job... but mostly that she cannot carry the 40kg on her back without being particularly exceptional. (Or even more "not an issue" she cannot do her pushups, which has more to do with where a woman keeps her body weight then her being weak. It is why often readjusted physical exams put more weight in sit ups for women and less in push ups)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:02:17 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2013, 04:59:30 pm »

This one.

I suppose that solves that, but I don't imagine hordes of women would be excited about having medical instruments placed inside of them to prevent pregnancy and menstruation just so they can perform a particular job. I know I wouldn't be thrilled at the prospect.

Uh. . . you should probably actually read about what that is.  It's about as invasive as a tampon, you insert it yourself, and it doesn't prevent pregnancy.  Also, it's not a "medical instrument," and it's actually very popular.  You only have to have one, and the only waste you deal with is entirely liquid.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2013, 05:03:25 pm »

Gear load is critically important, though. Infantry does a lot of walking through rough terrain, and they need a fair bit of supplies with them. There's women who can do that, and there's no reason to stop them from serving in infantry, but the bar shouldn't be lowered for the ones that can't because you really don't want to get pinned down with insufficient ammo.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2013, 05:07:59 pm »

Gear load is critically important, though. Infantry does a lot of walking through rough terrain, and they need a fair bit of supplies with them. There's women who can do that, and there's no reason to stop them from serving in infantry, but the bar shouldn't be lowered for the ones that can't because you really don't want to get pinned down with insufficient ammo.

Most of the gear isn't ammo to my knowledge. The bar for men is a general fitness test, that tries to make sure that all the men are very fit, and the gear load is based upon that test.

Women have trouble passing a general male fitness test. A general female fitness test, even a strict one, with some awareness that there are some aspects they cannot go around would increase female membership.

As I said a woman who can only carry 30kg isn't a liability on the battlefield. Especially if the military is aware of it.

As well since the military is looking for more recruits and isn't trying to keep people out of the military. I don't see anything quite wrong with making the bar so very fit female soldiers can pass instead of just extremely fit female soldiers especially when there isn't a liability.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:10:23 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24