Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 51

Author Topic: BM XLI: On Wings of Haven -- Scum Victory!  (Read 100212 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Day 1, To Kill a Mockingbird
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2013, 08:52:28 pm »

Vector- yes I am defending her because I feel like it's kind of suffocating to be attacked like this. It violating the mind space. It doesn't feel right, especially for such minuscule errors.

. . . See, I'm assuming that you guys are smart enough not to do obvious things like say "I'm scum" or something similar, so it will be the miniscule errors that get you.  What did you think a psychological game looked like?

Lenglon could verry well be one of the scum but wouldn't that be convenient for you?

Convenient how?

It is too early to really tell that she is scum and you are putting unfair pressure on her. Pressure others too.

*sigh*

I know you hate long posts, so I'll just refer you to the questions I've asked you, Griffionday, and RangerCado.

If your hunt is getting in everyone else's way then you deserve to be voted out.

How am I getting in your way?  Or anyone else's?  If I'm obstructing your ability ask people questions, then yes, I should obviously be voted out.  But I'm not exactly sure how I'm silencing you in any substantive way.

You are just screwing around and not helping in a truly beneficial way. You are acting as if your single, itty bitty head is greater than all of ours put together. It is offensive and ticks me off. Speak to us as equals, smarten up! Then I will listen to what you say when you stop freaking T-U-N-N-E-L-I-N-G!

When have I treated you with disrespect or "screwed around?"  Isn't tunneling the antithesis of screwing around?  You may not feel good, but I am not being intentionally disrespectful.

(I'm not saying I'm tunneling either, by the way.  Tunneling is when you attack someone at length against logic, and I have reasons for what I'm doing--reasons you may disagree with, but reasons)

Are you so bussy putting pressure on a random civilian that you forget about yourself.

This isn't the military.

• How have I been behaving in a strange manner?
  • What were the said questions I missed.

I never said that you missed any questions.  What I said was this:

Folks may have missed some of this, but two of those questions were for Shinigami_King.  I have also been questioning him, and Lenglon has addressed a couple of my queries.

People had been accusing me of only focusing on Lenglon, which wasn't true; they'd also been accusing Lenglon of not answering my question, which wasn't true, either.  So I explained that some of the questions I'd asked in a long list were directed to you, and that all of those questions had been answered.

How you're acting unusually is that you asked a whole lot of questions about playing scum, saying that you wanted to learn how to better use WIFOM, and then you've been rather avidly defending Lenglon as though you know her alignment despite giving a lot of lipservice to enjoying a more psychological style.  Similarly, making cases full of holes, but I'm willing to bet that's because I'm pissing you off and you're relatively new to all this.

You aren't acting as oddly as Lenglon was, but you're still acting odd.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2013, 09:02:30 pm »

My mistake.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2013, 09:08:08 pm »

Cheesecake, have you woken up from hibernation yet?  If so, I want to know who looks most scummy to you.
Captain Ford, you too.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2013, 09:25:23 pm »

Simulation is taking forever...

Demdemeh:
Griffionday: I want to know your answers to the same questions you asked me.
For me the draw of mafia is mostly the social aspect.  It's an interesting experience as you can't very well expect to win if you come into a game with notions of who must be scum (with the exception of wuba) but on the other hand you have to judge people.  I love the fight to determine who is scum and then to convince everyone else that you have a valid target.  On the other hand I could see being mafia being an interesting challenge, having to keep yourself invisible, while at the same time trying to manipulate other people into agreeing with you...  I could see that being equally as exciting as the hunt.

Vector:
-snip-
Valid

PPE:
I know you hate long posts, so I'll just refer you to the questions I've asked you, Griffionday, and RangerCado.
Uh... What questions to me? You pressed my comment on how ICs should be treated here, but otherwise have only indicated that you'll get around to solidifying a read on me later.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2013, 09:31:55 pm »

Yup.  That's the point--I haven't been only pressing Lenglon and letting everyone else sit around on their butts, chewing the fat :I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2013, 09:38:15 pm »

OK. I'm back but my thoughts were disturbed. Not by Vector this time but corn. I hate CORN!

Sorry Vector as far as being angry but here is a bit of logic. If you disrupt my thinking then I feel you should be silenced. (I do actually appreciate the simple post) I know from meta game that Lenglon is very good at finding weaknesses and simply scumhunting; this leads me to want you to be eliminated instead of lenglon. There is an equal chance of either of you being scum so there you go.

I'm bad at putting my thoughts down properly. This leads to holes and poor formatting. Sorry in advance for this.

Damn, lost my track of thought. Welp, I'll move onto this.
griffin- Don't pester them too much. They have no obligation to post over the weekend. Wait until we near the end of tomorrow.
Multiple others- people have been asking certain questions regarding me as a new player. I am. I stated straight away that this is my first RVS and I only played the last half of a game. So yes, I am quite new to mafia and the overwhelming pressure we are receiving here in RVS is catching me off guard. I simply didn't expect this.
Demdemeh- I don't understand what you are saying when you say that
On the other hand, your point is very good on other being able to hide while this argument is going on
. After joining this discussion haven't I painted a target on myself? Yeah, just wondering.
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2013, 09:44:16 pm »

Lenglon:
Repeats?  Really?

Yes, we both pointed out that you over thought an answer to a question that should have been simple.  My beef though is that you answered the wrong question altogether.

My first point I want you to address is based on a completely different reading of what Shinigami said:
Who will you use it in this RVS?
Vector seems to have read this as "Who will you use it on in this RVS?" while I read it as "How will you use it during this RVS".  You answered "You are scum; how will you play this game?".  Why did you broaden the question rather than just answer his question as it is?

You missed entirely my point that you were attempting to act town rather than scum hunt.
I broadened the question because the smaller version sorry, shinigami didn't make sense. I figured i'd avoid having to answer the same question over and over by just making it as general-form as possible. And you can see how well that worked out
Lenglon: Vector is pushing you pretty hard. Is there a good reason you can give for how evasive you've been with your answers?
and now i'm being evasive apparently. how on earth is over-answering a question evading it?

I'll quickly post where it ended for you, then read the whole thing over again, to see of I missed anything. 
-snip-
This post followed by ...
-snip-
If you'll take a look at the timestamps, those two posts were within seconds of each other. Vector wasn't responding to me there.
Griffinpup: Although being godfather would confuse the cop, acting scummy in play would still get his vote on you. A cop would only fully trust his results if the godfather was already dead, or if the result was: Target is Mafia. Godfather can only give you a bit of wiggle room, not a free pass.

Um... OK?  I agree with you?  Of course you still have to play good.  That's a given.

-snip-

What more do you want me to say about a jail keeper?  HAH FOOLS, JUST TRY TO GET OUT OF YOUR BEDROOMS!  There.  It's even now.

On a more serious note, I spent what time was deemed necessary to explain my choices.  There's very little you can say about a jail keeper that I didn't say.  A mafia godfather, on the other hand, is slightly more in depth.

Also, you're one to talk.  As my fellow Griffion pointed out, you had 5 out of 7 of your questions be about mafia.  It seems like you're nervous not knowing to play mafia very well, and are subtly asking for advise.  How about it, scum?  Notice how I ended with a question.  Perhaps you'll be bothered.  :-)
Asking for gameplay advice the way you're accusing me of would be stupid. each of those questions were to see how people react to WIFOM inducing situations, a decent case could be made for going either way in each of them.

It still seems off to me that you didn't address how the jailkeeper's actions can occasionally backfire, or how jailkeeper can be used to confirm if someone has the role they're claiming. the godfather role is only useful if you're investigated by the cop, but the jailkeeper role has a lot more potental power. You really haven't put anywhere near as much thought into the town-side roles as the mafia-side ones. what is up with that?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2013, 09:54:43 pm »

This is a completely pointless post except to just have fun and see where peoples heads are at.

I was originally going to make a giant problem of this type but I got bored halfway through the first word.

The question is simple. What is the word hidden within the code. If you think you have it then please also explain how you decoded it and how the system works. Yes this is something that I legitimately did. I didn't copy someone else's formula.

There. Just one word and the logic is simple and strong. If you needed a break from this intense RVS then there you go. Something to stump your friends with as well.
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2013, 10:00:05 pm »

Sorry Vector as far as being angry but here is a bit of logic. If you disrupt my thinking then I feel you should be silenced. (I do actually appreciate the simple post) I know from meta game that Lenglon is very good at finding weaknesses and simply scumhunting; this leads me to want you to be eliminated instead of lenglon. There is an equal chance of either of you being scum so there you go.

Look, why do you think I'm an IC?  Do you think I don't know what I'm doing?

Alternatively to saying "Well, percentage-wise it could go either way," you could work on scumhunting and trying to figure out what's going on.  I'm sorry if I'm disrupting your thinking, but I also know that

a. Going on and on about how big-headed I am and then saying "you disrupted my thinking, so you should die" is just slightly hypocritical and a bit sad.

b. There's other options than flying off the handle and falling to personal insults, like explaining what's bothering you and talking it out.

Oh, another math person.  No wonder I annoy you so much =)

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2013, 10:15:32 pm »

You are experienced. So you are and IC. But you don't seem to thrilled being an IC seeing as you were hesitant to be one in the first place and you aren't even using your IC voice. What I'm trying to say is while you may be a strong player, it doesn't mean you are a strong IC and you can't just wave that title around. As far as the big headed thing goes, I personally am big headed. This however doesn't stop you from being big headed as well. People think differently so I guess a good way to say things here is you disrupt my thinking because you are sending a bunch of aggressive posts in succession which just throws me off my game. It may be your play style and you seem to want to throw people off their game as it is your style of scum hunting. This is not beneficial to the group however so I dislike your play style. I'm laying low on scum hunting right now because I don't want to pressure people on the weekend. I'll try to during the week but right now you seem very active and I have a problem with your style so I figure I might as well join in with this whole thing and see how much information we, myself and the group can get from who is active at this time. No matter what happens Lenglon myself and you will all have some nice records later.

Sorry for the wall of text. How is everyone doing on that problem so far?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2013, 10:25:16 pm »

*throws hands in air*

I'll deal with this later.  I've got other fish to fry.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2013, 10:36:35 pm »

Quick post as I'm still working on a lab report...

Vector:
Yup.  That's the point--I haven't been only pressing Lenglon and letting everyone else sit around on their butts, chewing the fat :I
You missed my point:  You've softballed me once, which hardly is really pressing me. 

I wouldn't usually care, as you seem to be being systematic about how you approach your scumhunting.  But you're using having put pressure on me to answer a question, but I don't see where you've been doing that.

Shinigami:
About this being a lot of pressure for RVS; I personally left RVS pretty much after my first post, and I don't think Vector ever was in it; it's not nearly as long a phase as people make it out to be.  To me RVS is the one or two awkward posts before beginning to press who struck you as slightly odd; it is not, as some people seem to assume, the entire first day, nor even until everyone has posted.

-snip-
What... You want us to decode something off of what appears to be three terms, using a method you got bored of encoding half way through a word... Thank you but no.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2013, 10:38:42 pm »

Unvote
Note. This post response only to Lenglon.  I'll post the replies to the rest of you tomorrow, OK?  Time for sleeping and crap.

Come on Lenglon... Actually read the posts before yours before you post.  Have you read my answer the second time someone asked me about this topic?

griffinpup: What do you feel the relative values are of the following roles: Cop, Jailer, Doctor, Godfather? If you were allowed to choose which one you could be, which would you choose, and what would be your general strategy for using the powers?
A jail keeper is better then a doctor, but a cops value depends on the situation, and isn't easily compared to either the doctor or the jail keeper.  A godfather is a mafia role, therefore also hard to compare with the others.  I do think that a mafia godfather is the most powerful role a GOOD mafia can have. My favorite town role is jail keeper.  The jail keeper, however, is very situation specific.  I couldn't tell you a strategy for playing jail keeper unless you gave me a situation.
[\quote]

The godfather role is easy to explain.  The jail keeper, on the other hand, is more on depth and I didn't find it necessary to explain the role as in depth as you apparently want.  if you would care to give me an example, I would love 'to analyze what the jailkeeper should do. 
A mafia doesn't have do do anything to use their godfather ability.  Therefore it is less involved and easier to explain.
I was already aware that Vectors post was not intended toward you, and don't need it said twice, thanks.
Next piece of data.  How does generalizing questions generally stop more?  Aren't those two values inversely proportional?  If you asked me how i would act in a specific scenario, and I said win the game, you would say something about avoiding or not answering questions, wouldn't you?  So what logic led you to conclude that generalizations are good?  Answering a different question then asked could also easily be seen as 'evading' a question. 
Finally, yes, asking for subtle advice on how to play mafia is stupid.  So is generalizing a question designed to be specific.  Since you've already messed up once, it's not unreasonable that you left another scum tell around.  ;D

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2013, 10:42:51 pm »

Oops.  Messed up with my quote.  I'll just repost and fix it.

Unvote
Come on Lenglon... Actually read the posts before yours before you post.  Have you read my answer the second time someone asked me about this topic?

griffinpup: What do you feel the relative values are of the following roles: Cop, Jailer, Doctor, Godfather? If you were allowed to choose which one you could be, which would you choose, and what would be your general strategy for using the powers?
A jail keeper is better then a doctor, but a cops value depends on the situation, and isn't easily compared to either the doctor or the jail keeper.  A godfather is a mafia role, therefore also hard to compare with the others.  I do think that a mafia godfather is the most powerful role a GOOD mafia can have. My favorite town role is jail keeper.  The jail keeper, however, is very situation specific.  I couldn't tell you a strategy for playing jail keeper unless you gave me a situation.

The godfather role is easy to explain.  The jail keeper, on the other hand, is more on depth and I didn't find it necessary to explain the role as in depth as you apparently want.  if you would care to give me an example, I would love 'to analyze what the jailkeeper should do. 
A mafia doesn't have do do anything to use their godfather ability.  Therefore it is less involved and easier to explain.
I was already aware that Vectors post was not intended toward you, and don't need it said twice, thanks.
Next piece of data.  How does generalizing questions generally stop more?  Aren't those two values inversely proportional?  If you asked me how i would act in a specific scenario, and I said win the game, you would say something about avoiding or not answering questions, wouldn't you?  So what logic led you to conclude that generalizations are good?  Answering a different question then asked could also easily be seen as 'evading' a question. 
Finally, yes, asking for subtle advice on how to play mafia is stupid.  So is generalizing a question designed to be specific.  Since you've already messed up once, it's not unreasonable that you left another scum tell around. :)

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2013, 10:46:39 pm »

So, Vector is gone so I feel like I am not obligated to have a conversation about everything else that has happened so far.
Grffin- You have been on today, what are your opinions of Vector, Lenglon and myself. I'm not asking for anything specific but you have the most info on us so yeah.
Griffion- Same goes to you I guess.
Lenglon- Now that you aren't getting attacked relentlessly I am curious to see a well put together defense for yourself as well as views of Vector and myself.

Anyone- If you have questions we still are on RVS seeing as the majority of players haven't put much out yet. I would like everyone to get to know my way of thinking so ask all you want.
Continuing to wonder if anyone has tried to work on my problem yet. Any questions if you are. If you need a hint GriffionDay then I'll leave one here
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 51