Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Steam tradingcards  (Read 6322 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam tradingcards
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 08:01:05 pm »

Eh, pointless gimmick to take up more time and shunt attention away from inaccurate release schedules, terrible game support, and bad management.

Still, free stuff.

I'll take an invite if possible.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 08:08:57 pm »

Granted, it's all petty crap and not worth getting upset or frustrated about, but it's still a negative and worrisome change. Valve has long worked to keep people on Steam exclusively and off their competitors' services, and a dumb meta cow-clicker is just going to make more people feel invested in their accounts. Steam isn't a terrible service, and it's done good things for the PC market, but these aggressive tactics at keeping people more or less addicted to it is alarming.

See, I disagree with you here. Valve has long understood the concept of value-added when it comes to Steam. It's what made Steam the #1 DD platform, because it delivered services well and gave you plenty of optional perks just by being a member.  You could point to their gamification of sales, coupons and the like as just simply trying to addict their users and freeze out the competition....but you could also point to it being business smart, beneficial for Valve, dev houses and players and even fun for some people.

And let's face it. The other DD platforms aren't as successful as Steam because they don't have the reach, the features, the catalog or the value added benefits. Valve doesn't make people sign no competition clauses either. So, I have a hard time buying into the idea other platforms aren't succeeding because "Steam be keepin' em down."

In the future, when the PC market is more developed and less dependent on Steam, it'd suck to have Valve and Steam be a drain on developer income just because people wanted to horde virtual cards.

That's....quite a leap of logic you're making. Especially in a world "less dependent on Steam."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 08:19:51 pm »

Eh, pointless gimmick to take up more time and shunt attention away from inaccurate release schedules, terrible game support, and bad management.

Still, free stuff.

I just wish they would put a big lable on games that say "This is a Beta" or just not allow games in super early alpha stages to get on Steam. Some sort of quality assurance needs to go into Steam.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 08:22:38 pm »

If anyone has an invite, I would appreciate it. Scelly9, on steam.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 08:25:08 pm »

-schnip-

I would certainly say that the PC market is currently dependent on Steam; smaller developers who don't get their games on it are at a massive disadvantage, and larger ones didn't seem to care about the PC market at all before Steam. If consoles eventually fade out or lose their place as the dominant market, then having distribution more or less monopolized by Valve would be bad for everyone. There exists an attitude amongst many people that if a game isn't on Steam, it's not worth buying, or they'll ignore (or never know about) any better prices offered by competitors. Inhibiting people's willingness to use other services by snowballing their 'investment' in Steam is bad for competition over the things that actually matter, which is the main point I wanted to make.

Still, I could very well be overly paranoid, and Valve is just the benevolent corporation it has the reputation for being... I'm definitely open to that.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 08:31:26 pm »

Still, free stuff.

I just wish they would put a big lable on games that say "This is a Beta" or just not allow games in super early alpha stages to get on Steam. Some sort of quality assurance needs to go into Steam.
Have you seen their new early access area of the store? It's exactly what you're asking for.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:33:10 pm by Hugehead »
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 08:39:28 pm »

If they want me to play certain games more, then they should simply make the games more fun. I dont like it when I am encouraged to play games for other reasons beyond the game being fun to play.

I dont like this idea...
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 10:14:46 pm »

As a person who likes achievements, I like this too.

If anyone has a spare invite it's whitefoxsniper on steam.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 10:24:04 pm »

Seems horrible to me.  However, since I never do hoop jumping with steam anyway, and only purchase things I want to when they are presented to me as on sale, and this doesn't do anything to the actual playing of those games, it is irrelevant to me, even if it makes profiles glow with the light of a thousand suns with waving flags and dolphins jumping thru hoops made of stardust.

I'm sure there will be many who enjoy it though (as seems evident enough so far in this thread).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 01:55:36 am »

I made about $5 selling both the beta invite and two Dota 2 cards right now.

The foil editions are going for about $60 each.

jf_element

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 04:46:05 am »

seems interesting.. joined the steam group and waited a few hours but still not getting an invite.

if anybody has a spare invite, would really appreciate one..!
steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jf_element/

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 05:13:30 am »

If someone has a invite spare can you send it to me please ?

Also people are selling the cards ? O.o that seems very flawed.. I have one friend who has all the achievements on all his games due to him using a cheat engine for them
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:16:45 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 06:45:30 am »

I have 3 invites. Friend me on Steam (Maunoir) and message me for it. No escaped lunatics.

@ScriptWolf
Achievements are not currently used for card drops, only playtime.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:10:16 am by Meta »
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

jf_element

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 07:20:02 am »

I have 3 invites. Friend me on Steam (Maunoir) and message me for it. No escape lunatics.

@ScriptWolf

omg they were gone so fast. still no invite :'(

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 07:24:28 am »

I have 3 invites. Friend me on Steam (Maunoir) and message me for it. No escape lunatics.

@ScriptWolf

omg they were gone so fast. still no invite :'(
My invites are not gone, but I'm sorry, you can't have one, as you're an escaped lunatic.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:10:26 am by Meta »
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6