Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Steam tradingcards  (Read 6335 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam tradingcards
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 05:25:14 pm »

Not sure how I feel about this. I, wait...

You might earn DLC or game coupons.

Free shit? I'm in. I also think the new profile pages look pretty sharp.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 06:09:54 pm »

Alright, I got my first 2 cards. Now to find how to exchange them...
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

KillerFrogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 06:16:06 pm »

Cards are being listed on the market place for money...seems like a useful thing for me to work on now.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 06:19:31 pm »

I'll take an invite I guess, seems cool to em
Nom nom nom

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 06:19:45 pm »

I'll take one. If anyone has one, that is.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 06:44:25 pm »

I'd only like this if ALL my games could end up as cards.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 06:53:55 pm »

Right.

I tried to trade my invite to Kilakan but forgot I put it up on the market. So when I went to get it back from the market I found out it was sold already. Why the hell would anyone buy it?! I'm out of invites now.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 06:54:24 pm »

Hmm. I don't play any of those. Problem solved!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 06:55:31 pm »

Not sure how I feel about this. I, wait...

You might earn DLC or game coupons.

Free shit? I'm in. I also think the new profile pages look pretty sharp.

You've been getting game coupons before this. Now you have to jump through extra hoops.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 07:22:51 pm »

I've been getting game coupons? I'm pretty sure I haven't been, except for those seasonal events where I had to, you know, jump through a bunch of hoops to get them. And now Valve has the audacity to demand I play games that I already play anyway before they'll give me free coupons and dlc? brb uninstalling.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 07:30:50 pm »

I guess the limit is 300 friends in your steam list. I doubt I'll ever hit that many, so this is more or less a non-issue to me. I've tended not to pay attention to most Steam gimmicks and I'll likely continue to do so. As long as the feature set I currently enjoy doesn't get mucked with, I'm cool.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 07:50:06 pm »

If a company lets there be a coupon for their game, I'd imagine that they'd be less inclined to put it on sale as frequently or for as much of a discount. So yeah, it's just extra hoops. It's stuff that could've been just added to Steam for anyone, but instead got tossed in as more of an attempt to make Steam a social networking platform.

Granted, it's all petty crap and not worth getting upset or frustrated about, but it's still a negative and worrisome change. Valve has long worked to keep people on Steam exclusively and off their competitors' services, and a dumb meta cow-clicker is just going to make more people feel invested in their accounts. Steam isn't a terrible service, and it's done good things for the PC market, but these aggressive tactics at keeping people more or less addicted to it is alarming. In the future, when the PC market is more developed and less dependent on Steam, it'd suck to have Valve and Steam be a drain on developer income just because people wanted to horde virtual cards.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:51:52 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 07:52:57 pm »

If a company lets there be a coupon for their game, I'd imagine that they'd be less inclined to put it on sale as frequently or for as much of a discount. So yeah, it's just extra hoops. It's stuff that could've been just added to Steam for anyone, but instead got tossed in as more of an attempt to make Steam a social networking platform.
Valve have had the coupons for over a year, it's not a change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 07:53:57 pm »

I signed up to see if I can get into the beta.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 07:59:04 pm »

Valve have had the coupons for over a year, it's not a change.

From events and promotions, yeah, but not available continuously from what I would guess are achievements or random drops. Still, who knows how many publishers will actually participate... I'd imagine more would than do in Steam trading, but that aspect heavily depends on the game in question.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6