Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Furries  (Read 28760 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Dwarf Fortress Furries
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2013, 03:50:36 am »

Furries make me uncomfortable.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2013, 03:53:00 am »

Humm.. well, I for one thinks dressing up as animals is weird, besides, I don't consider myself as one.
To me it's just another weird subculture which I am not a part of.
However if dressing up in disturbing animal costumes is your thing, go ahead.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2013, 03:57:48 am »

if dressing up in disturbing animal costumes

Given that I live near a theme park with costumed people... and grew up with the police doing school shows with a costumed police dog.

It isn't THAT disturbing. or disturbing to me at all.

I do however find it WAAAAAAAY too cheesy to stand... not cheesy but I don't know what to call it. It is so silly and cute that even looking at it is deeply embarrassing. Like watching really old videos of you as a child of 4 going potty or something (Mind you, I am rather uncaring of what happened to me as a child. I openly admit I wet the bed until age 15 too)

Though that is why I don't go to Fur cons (the other being that I am not a Furry, nor have any that aren't internet friends)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2013, 04:11:21 am »

Wearing cat ear hats and headbands is kinda cute, but Fursuits make me uncomfortable. I've never really liked costuming, and a large part of this is Proxy Embarrassment I feel for them... which is a really weird thing to feel, when I think about it.

Of the Furries I've interacted with at cons, though, the only ones that made me uncomfortable were the comedian guy at the Convention who talked about first-hand experiences with how mechanically awkward Fursuit Sexytime was, and the guy in the game room who kept hitting on me, and invading my personal bubble, hanging on me, and trying to get me to go up to his hotel room later; I wasn't interested, and think I conveyed that pretty well, but he wouldn't give up, and was way overstepping my comfort zone. First time I experienced that, and it was pretty horrible... but if nothing else, I developed a first-hand understanding of how it feels to be hit on incessantly by a guy who doesn't respect you or your personal space.

Beyond those two, I actually had a great time there, saw some cool comics and elaborate costumes, and met some really neat, fun, nerdy, and creative people there. It was pretty much the same deal as an Anime Convention, with arguably more Cat Ears.

I always miss the best trolls.

Not a very good troll at all, actually. Basically just called the posters in this thread sick fucks, and proceeded to post gross shock images here and elsewhere on the forum. I suspect the irony of this was lost on them. Did snag a quote for the OOC Thread, though:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:20:09 am by Solifuge »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2013, 04:35:32 am »

What was the first image even supposed to be?  I wasn't sure if I was supposed to throw up or get mad or laugh or what because I couldn't figure out what the hell it even was.
Shoes...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2013, 04:57:47 am »

So... Any hope for a new decent Sonic cartoon?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2013, 05:08:50 am »

Only if he doesn't talk. Ever.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2013, 05:55:30 am »

Humm.. well, I for one thinks dressing up as animals is weird, besides, I don't consider myself as one.

Not all of us are fursuiters, yo. Hell, you wouldn't catch me dead in one. :P

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2013, 06:37:03 am »

I personally get along well with the people fine (yes, Vorthon, and co, I seem to get along well with you)

but a certain incident on IRC and also a certain incident with the creepiest fucker I'd ever met has forever coloured my perception of furries.

Additionally, I can't understand why one would identify with an animal; it's willingly debasing yourself.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2013, 06:48:55 am »

... yeah, because humans aren't animals at all. Except wait...

Acknowledgement of fact isn't debasement, silly. The actual question you're looking for is why people would identify with other animals, and the answer there generally boils down to varying positive aspects the other animals have (or the individual in question invents for them) and self-identifying with those, with a possible side of overexaggerating (or simply disliking to a large extent) the negative aspects* of their natural sort of animal.

*Like that good ol' anthrocentric arrogance, ferex :P Our sort of monkey is better than your sort of monkey! Which, hey, I'd probably agree, homo sapiens is pretty awesome. But we're still just jumped up primates at the most, not some kind of strange other-thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2013, 06:59:54 am »

Not all of us are fursuiters, yo. Hell, you wouldn't catch me dead in one. :P
Well I do know that, guess my post was kind of poorly worded. :p

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2013, 07:03:04 am »

Frumpy, give me a few years in a lab, and I'll GET you your strange other-thing.

Shit maybe that's where Xantalos came from... Don't anybody ever invent time-travel and we should be fine!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2013, 07:05:02 am »

Frumpy, give me a few years in a lab, and I'll GET you your strange other-thing.

Shit maybe that's where Xantalos came from... Don't anybody ever invent time-travel and we should be fine!
What if it's already invented but we just don't know about it?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2013, 07:06:34 am »

If I will invent time travel, I would have told me.
Then again, I would be a jerk about this. You know what, fuck me! His a real jerk! I'm going to invent my own darn time travel and not bother to tell me, just to spite me! Let's see how I like that!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2013, 08:14:48 am »

Here's something I think is worth exploring in this thread. Let's play a game of "Find The Furry Uncanny Valley!"

At what point (if any) do the following images cease to be cute or cool, and start to get weird or make you feel uncomfortable? Can you identify the traits that make you feel that way? I kept safe search on while putting this together, and none of these are really explicit, but you might not want to browse them at work anyway. Unless you don't care if your coworkers see you looking at fox people, with varying degrees of foxiness.

Spoiler: #1 (Pretty much a Fox) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: #2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: #3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: #4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: #5 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: #6 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: #7 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: #8 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: #9 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: B) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: C) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: D) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: E) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: F) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: G) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: H) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: I) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: J) (Trying to be Sexy) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Light Costuming (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medium Costuming (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Half-Fursuit (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fursuit (click to show/hide)

Of the above, I can appreciate all of them (even the fursuits) artistically. I'm comfortable with 1-10, am good up to F-G before it starts getting weird, and have no problem with the costumes at all. Even the Half-Fursuit is only borderline-weird, but I've also been exposed to this stuff in person before, so my tolerance may be a bit high? We'll see.

P.S. Can I just say that I did not expect to start off my morning by trying to classify pictures of foxes by their sexiness :I
~ Now to delete the last hour of browser-history! Wee!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:02:24 am by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15