Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Furries  (Read 28781 times)

Tuck_Lion

• Bay Watcher
  • pass the lodestar
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Furries
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2013, 12:22:31 am »

correctly the subculture is because our own culture are very interested in animals and anthropomorphic animals.

Children Cartoons are absolutely full of them to the extent where they often outnumber ones that use actual humans.

Related, it's interesting to note that shows like Family Guy can routinely and blatantly depict bestiality, but most people won't interpret it as such because it's animated. Brian (the dog) can have clearly sexual relationships with human girls, but it doesn't generally even occur to people to think of it as unusual.
Are you talking about the people in the show, or in real life? Because I always found it pretty weird.
I'm pretty sure we mean in the show
Bay12 pushed self into fruit math. Tuck Lion was just the mechanism for bay12's latent fruit-math fetish.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2013, 12:23:02 am »

In a run of weird coincidence, my last two roommates have been Furries. One of them even did character illustrations for the fandom; an aspiring children's illustrator, known for doing a webcomic adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula, with anthropomorphic animal characters. Despite not being part of the fandom, I tagged along with him to a few furry conventions to help him do business. Apparently he's a reasonably well-known artist in the fandom too, since he was the guest of honor, and ran a few panels on illustration, his experiences being FTM-transgendered, and a few other things.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:27:22 am by Solifuge »

Tuck_Lion

• Bay Watcher
  • pass the lodestar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2013, 12:26:23 am »

Loved your story, Solifuge! I really I wish I had the opportunity to go to a con.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:27:56 am by Tuck_Lion »
Bay12 pushed self into fruit math. Tuck Lion was just the mechanism for bay12's latent fruit-math fetish.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2013, 12:28:01 am »

Loved your story, Solifuge!
Same here. An interesting look into a sub-culture I know very little about :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 12:29:25 am »

Stupid people who have more artistic talent then me! ILL SHOW YOU ALL!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 12:30:50 am »

Brian is human in intellect and therefor it would not be beastiality.

That's debatable. But it's something humanity is likely to need to deal with sooner or later.

What exactly is an "animal?"

* If 5% donkey DNA were added to a human, would sex with the result be bestiality?
 * if 5% human DNA were added to a donkey, would sex with the result be bestiality?
 * If we someday bridge the language barrier, and can have casual conversations with dolphins, will sex with dolphins be bestiality?
 * If aliens with vastly superior intellect show up and we have sex with it, would they be committing bestiality?
 * If you seed a dog's brain with exclusively human brain cells to create an intelligent chimera, would sex with it be bestiality?
 * If you seed a human's brain with exclusively dog brain cells to create an unintelligent chimera, would sex with it be bestiality?
 * What about chimpanzees that have learned sign language? Is sex with them bestiality?

No matter whether you look at intellect, or genetics, or even obvious outward appearance...there's a lot of potential gray zone. For that matter, if "intelligence" is your basis for evaluation, is sex with a stupid, but purely "human" partner bestiality? I think most people would say of course not...but I just don't see any way to draw a fine line that technology we either already have or will have very soon won't make a mockery of. We're already making hybrids. It's not going to take long before somebody gets creative with it.

Are you talking about the people in the show, or in real life? Because I always found it pretty weird.

I was thinking real life. You're the first person I've spoken to about it to say it occurred to them to think it was weird before I pointed it out.

Tuck_Lion

• Bay Watcher
  • pass the lodestar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 12:32:56 am »

Um, in my experience with zoophile friends, beastiality specifically refers to attraction to animal-minded animals and close variants. DNA has little to do with it as it is a psychological anomaly and is determined based on physical appearance and behavioral accuracy.

I understand the conversation you're trying to start, though.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:36:09 am by Tuck_Lion »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2013, 12:40:09 am »

I was thinking real life. You're the first person I've spoken to about it to say it occurred to them to think it was weird before I pointed it out.
What, seriously? Maybe I only thought about it because I don't like the show and look for ways to criticize it :P

Re Beastiality: I tried to look up an official definition, but Wikipedia had several images of what looked like ye olde tyme hentai. That made me close the tab pretty quickly, and suddenly I'm very glad I use AdBlock >_>
And that's all I'll say on that topic.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2013, 12:54:07 am »

* If 5% donkey DNA were added to a human, would sex with the result be bestiality?
 * if 5% human DNA were added to a donkey, would sex with the result be bestiality?
Is it bad when my first thoughts here are "DNA doesn't work that way"? We share a goodly amount of DNA with our fellow mammalian species and beyond, and it's more the lack of it being triggered during our growth stages that keep us as humans.

To be honest, lack of ability to consciously consent is the problem.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2013, 12:55:41 am »

We share 15% or so DNA with yeast. All Earth life is genetically connected, and DNA definitely doesn't work like that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tuck_Lion

• Bay Watcher
  • pass the lodestar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2013, 12:57:22 am »

His analogy was a hyperbolic exaggeration. No need to take him literally.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2013, 01:09:14 am »

We share 15% or so DNA with yeast. All Earth life is genetically connected, and DNA definitely doesn't work like that.
I am bread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2013, 01:10:28 am »

I'm clearly sourdough. I get more and more sour as I grow older :P

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2013, 01:11:53 am »

I've actually heard an argument on a philosophy podcast regarding this. It went along the lines of:

'You can't argue consent is an issue so long as we are simultaneously using them for foodstuffs. Based on current social attitudes, norms, and laws towards treatment of animals, the line is drawn not at consent, but rather at unnecessary discomfort'

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2013, 01:15:22 am »

I've actually heard an argument on a philosophy podcast regarding this. It went along the lines of:

'You can't argue consent is an issue so long as we are simultaneously using them for foodstuffs. Based on current social attitudes, norms, and laws towards treatment of animals, the line is drawn not at consent, but rather at unnecessary discomfort'
That's actually a really good point. Huh.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15