Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201883 times)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2250 on: March 21, 2014, 09:16:07 am »

quantum stockpiles...
Use them once, and you will never use normal stockpiles again, ever! Lately I'm aiming for QSP ready in the first year.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: March 21, 2014, 11:08:15 am »

Can I still quantum stockpile even after I have this mess of a stockpile? Which method do you recommend, the cart method or the pit one?

What does lobotomizing dwarfs do and what's it good for? I assume they're pretty much vegetables after that, but why would I want to do it?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:15:20 am by MerkerBenson »

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: March 21, 2014, 12:18:56 pm »

cart method is the only method ^^ Except you like to do things manually :P
You set up a cart stockpile once, and then for all the years to come you will never have to do anything about it.
And yes, it is possible even after creating a huge mess, considering that my dwarven fortresses stockpiled EVERY item... this means including rock boulders, above ground refuse etc... There was NOTHING not stockpiled... Oh, and i stripmined about 7 zlevel, so not a single tile was unmined...^^ Add >6k bars, 10k unused blocks...
But it will probably take a while, until all items are hauled into the new QSP. But you can change the speed of the process by increasing decreasing the feeding stockpile... If you need more dwarves doing their normal work, make a small feeder stockpile (like 2x2 or 3x1), or if you have many unemployed then make a big one (like 4x4 or even 5x5)
Basically the size of the feederstockpile equals the maximum number of dwarves bringing items to the QSP.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: March 21, 2014, 12:20:08 pm »

Oh, and i forgot about the lobotomy:
It prevents tantrums or even berserk attacks... This is quite useful for unstable dwarves (that just lost half their family^^)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: March 21, 2014, 03:37:29 pm »

Oh, cool, thanks for the info!, I just got a new batch of a useless migrant family with no skills whatsoever, welcome my new haulers :D
Hmm, well the psychiatrist seems to have taken care of any tantrums, and I have dwarfs who went from 4-5 friends/family to none :D But i'll have to consider it when I test my new firemages :D

Cheers

Erivor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: March 22, 2014, 07:23:58 am »

Does butchering a Plump helmet man spawn give a soul?

Huskalator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: March 22, 2014, 02:38:15 pm »

I am trying to train some domesticated animals to be war and hunting pets.  Unfortunately I cannot get this to work.  When I try to do this via the z-Animal screen "war training" and "hunting training" is always greyed out no matter what.

I have tried to set up a pasture and animal training zone but nothing works.

What am I doing wrong?

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: March 22, 2014, 03:19:38 pm »

I am trying to train some domesticated animals to be war and hunting pets.  Unfortunately I cannot get this to work.  When I try to do this via the z-Animal screen "war training" and "hunting training" is always greyed out no matter what.

I have tried to set up a pasture and animal training zone but nothing works.

What am I doing wrong?

The animals have to be war- or hunting-trainable.  What animals are you trying to train?
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

vincint2002

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: March 22, 2014, 06:34:30 pm »

I recently installed a fresh copy of the Masterwork mod, and stumbled into what I would assume to be a worldgen bug.

Is it normal in the Masterwork mod to find a surface Adamantine vein?

The only file that I altered was world_gen.txt.

This is the worldgen parameter that I am using, found it on the Worldgen Cookbook Thread; perhaps this caused it?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These are screenshots of the Adamantine Vein.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: March 22, 2014, 07:27:08 pm »

You can't modify the behavior of veins or anything, so that's a bug that Masterwork can neither really cause nor prevent.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: March 23, 2014, 01:50:10 pm »

Does butchering a Plump helmet man spawn give a soul?

No, they give their flesh which is technically counted as plant, and any clothes they were wearing if they were bought on embark or from caravans. No soul, no bones, no mess.

Borshch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: March 23, 2014, 03:07:23 pm »

Hello everyone,i have a question here.My mage dwarf is trying to create a spell tome,for which i needed paper and ink,but he carries a bunch of stuff in school of wizardry(like glue and more and more paper) and he never stops.What to do?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: March 23, 2014, 05:47:50 pm »

Would the fixed temperature of Nethercap barrels insulate liquids from freezing? Or is that too cold/not possible?

I embarked on a glacier and I'm trying to brew bloodwine, but all my blood keeps freezing so the fort is entirely too reliant on trade for my preferences.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: March 23, 2014, 08:15:01 pm »

AFAIK, yes. However, I'm not sure if it might just freeze before you can actually get it in the barrel. For something to freeze, it would have to go below the freezing point, and it's the same with melting, I believe. So as long as there's no point when it's outside of a (nether) barrel, you should be okay.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Kikuto

• Bay Watcher
  • Missing being an escaped lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: March 24, 2014, 01:47:38 am »

Maybe a bug but not sure. Having a little trouble with Soundsense, music doesn't seem to be playing so checked it and it made a sound for damp stone being located. Also the music files are there, found one of the mp3 files and played it and it works just fine but for some reason just doesn't want to seem to kick on while playing. Just missing the right box to check or button or application or setting to change or is this a genuine bug?
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 165