Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201889 times)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2281 on: March 27, 2014, 10:03:07 am »

Ah, awesome, I thought most of the MW wiki was incomplete/lacking basic info. Thanks!

Back to one of my previous questions:
How do I send a mercenary expedition? I have weapons and all the components, but I still can't prepare an expedition, how many weapons/ armors(which armor parts?!)/catapult parts/wagons do I need?

Popokolara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: March 27, 2014, 12:20:54 pm »

With the new harder farming option underground crops take a whole year and above ground can only be planted on spring and summer(they will wither if planted on autumn.)So how do you handle your farmers?I hate to see them be lazy during late autumn and winter and then suddenly not have enough to efficiently plant all my seeds in the new spring.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: March 27, 2014, 12:38:25 pm »

Hmm, I never have idle farmers...They're usually all over the fields plantings plump helmets, spore trees, fungiwood, green lichens, bloated tubers and other such cute things... Usually crops that can't be planted in a certain season don't show up as available plantable crops when you're in the farm plot options. Of course, some of them always wither but there's usually enough for another crop+products. Of course I don't really care about crops and such except the spore trees for wood since I got a plump helmet man herd and they yield enough for years from a dozen PHMs...

Question: what kind of ammo do I need for slings?

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: March 27, 2014, 12:46:22 pm »

You can disable that part of the mod if it doesn't fit your playstyle.

I generally don't find any sort of problem producing adequate amounts of food. Differentiate your crops.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: March 27, 2014, 01:44:38 pm »

How do I inscribe slabs that give skills/magical slabs? ALL of the artifacts in my current world are slabs that give incredible powers or something...

Where do I make sling ammo? :)

Cheers

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: March 27, 2014, 02:14:17 pm »

Skill slabs can't be created in dwarf mode. They're created by deities in world gen to give their worshippers power. Mostly seen with necromancers.

IDK about sling ammo, though my gut says that you could probably just use stones or something as ammo. Are you playing kobolds?
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: March 27, 2014, 02:18:41 pm »

How do I inscribe slabs that give skills/magical slabs? ALL of the artifacts in my current world are slabs that give incredible powers or something...

Where do I make sling ammo? :)

Cheers

You don't make the same type of slabs like in world-gen. If you want to raise skills, you build a library and a scriptorium for a dwarf to study in. To teach a dwarf about magic you make them a school of wizardry and an altar of the type of magic you want. To train them as a priest you can build a monastery for a dwarf to pray in. It can take a long time to train a dwarf in magic, so be prepared to not have them do anything else for a while.

The slabs that appear in world-gen are the only type of artifact that can be created during world-gen, other than books written by famous individuals. The slabs always contain a secret power of some sort, and are only created when a god decides to bless a person by gifting them the slab.

I may be wrong about this, but I'm fairly sure that sling bullets are a Kobold thing. I couldn't find anything about slings in dwarf related raws. The closest I could find was bullets for firearms.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:22:44 pm by BlackFlyme »

Popokolara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: March 27, 2014, 03:56:42 pm »

I don't have any problem with food production.on the contrary.My issue is that i hate to see even a single idle dwarf.but with the harder farming system(and i dont want to disable since vanilla farming is far too productive) farmers just don't have anything to on winter.Unless i wait and plant my underground crops then.no overlapping planting with above ground then.Was just thinking if i can assign an additional responsibility to them like engraving etc.Something with less priority than farming so planting will be their first prio.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: March 28, 2014, 04:45:54 am »

There really isn't any prioritization between jobs - at least, not in the way you're describing. Pretty much all the labors you can assign have equal priority. If a dwarf has two labors assigned and both have open jobs waiting to be performed, he'll pretty much pick what job to do on a whim/at random/by proximity.

Potentially, you could get your food stocks sorted out such that your farmers work the farms in spring/summer and then work the kitchen/still in autumn/winter. Or like you said, switch to underground farming, since they are not limited by seasons.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: March 28, 2014, 01:32:15 pm »

Still guildhall oddness:

I have a migrant a while back with decent Armorer skill - wanted to put him in the smith's guild.  (BTW, guildhall reactions won't be available if all your coins are in bins.)

Restricted the profile to that dwarf, queued the reaction, and a different dwarf ran up, ferried the coins in, and transformed.

Waited until he finished, reset the profile and tried again.  This time the intended dwarf ferried all the coins in, but a *third* dwarf ran in and transformed.

(I've seen similar behavior in the Magic Altars, but no transforms - guessing that's because the unwanted dwarf had zero sorcery skill.)

Not a big deal, just slightly annoying.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2291 on: March 28, 2014, 01:41:37 pm »

What you describe is impossible. If you only have that one dwarf enabled with the workshop profile, only he will ever run the reaction. Thats hardcoded vanilla df behaviour and cannot be changed, even if I wanted to.

Maybe you have two dwarves with similar names?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: March 28, 2014, 03:04:28 pm »

It's possible, I suppose, that I messed up the queuing of the first one - there's a lot going on in this fort.  But the second time, I verified and carefully watched it happen.  Both have the same first name, and both were standing inside the hall itself when I queued up the second job, if that's relevant at all.

*shrug* No matter - I'm used to weird things happening, and I'm probably overlooking something.  Still fun :-)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2293 on: March 28, 2014, 03:47:38 pm »

In the hall? As in: Both happen to stand ON the workshop? that would explain it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: March 28, 2014, 05:27:06 pm »

Why is my military not training? I have a squad of two dwarves who, despite being assigned to a squad that is on active/training, being given weapons, and being assigned a barracks, are not training. I've tried disabling all of their labors and setting the training requirements to 1 minimum, but still no dice.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 165