Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201840 times)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2236 on: March 16, 2014, 05:33:39 pm »

Thanks!
Any tips for fighting nightwing sieges? They keep attacking and I can't finish the fort roof before then next siege. If they didn't have bowmen I could just attack them outright with my melee squad, but they do and my marksdwarfs suck.
They are incredibly annoying and I need all my dwarfs to finish the giant magma spewing tower...

Does turning a changeling into a magmaling consume the blood of armok gem?

Any way to prevent research items from being taken to a stockpile? I tried designating a specific pile only for them and cutting them from the other finished goods piles but they're not in the categories for "(research supplies)"

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:20:55 pm by MerkerBenson »

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: March 16, 2014, 08:56:39 pm »

Does turning a changeling into a magmaling consume the blood of armok gem?
Yes, unfortunately. This can be alleviated by building a Teduk's Fine Goods (after getting a trade license) although they still cost fifty bars' worth of gold coins.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: March 17, 2014, 05:04:36 am »

Any way to prevent research items from being taken to a stockpile? I tried designating a specific pile only for them and cutting them from the other finished goods piles but they're not in the categories for "(research supplies)"

I haven't tried it myself, but what happens if you set the workshop to feed a stockpile that has finished goods as a category enabled, but disable all individual items within that category?

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: March 17, 2014, 07:49:23 am »

Kobold bulb only surface farms – has this happened to anyone else?

Temperate mountain biome, all seeds offered at embark and Prospect identifies them growing in the region.  The surface farm only allowed kobold bulbs, green grass growing over dolomite.  Irrigating the area left a covering of mud but still, only kobold bulbs allowed and I’ve never seen that before.  There is an area of subterranean fireclay that – when channeled – can grow anything.  The dense, green grass over the surface dolomite is changing over the years to yellow, sandy-clay but still, only kobold bulbs allowed.  Irrigating the new sandy clay covers it in a layer of mud but makes no difference to planting.  I’ve had many embarks in mountain regions, first time I’ve seen this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any ideas?
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: March 17, 2014, 09:38:31 pm »

Jimboo have you tried different areas of the map? Maybe a tiny corner is the biome that showed up in embark and most of your map is a biome not letting anything grow?

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: March 18, 2014, 05:00:11 am »

Yeah, it’s an odd thing: the mined area contains both fireclay and dolomite.  The fireclay is as always for all plants.  To double-check, I mined a second area of dolomite, irrigated it and channeled over part (dusting of mud on all tiles).  This area is immediately adjacent to the fireclay tiles.
Fireclay: will grow anything. 
Irrigated dolomite Inside/Dark: will grow any subterranean plants.
Irrigated dolomite Inside/Light: still limited to kobold bulbs, same as the surface.

I’ve never seen this before, just curious if anyone else has.  My dwarves are walking a long way to reach the fireclay fields and boozeberries and that’s not good for FPS. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Frostea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: March 18, 2014, 06:59:20 am »

Where in the raws can I find the information on training for creatures? I'm wondering if I can have war mastodon and the like.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: March 18, 2014, 07:13:01 am »

Are you looking to edit in trainable creatures?
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Frostea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: March 18, 2014, 08:05:43 am »

Not to edit, but to know what creatures are trainable, breed, that sort of stuff. There isn't any exhaustive information on Masterwork creatures in the manual.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: March 18, 2014, 11:57:44 am »

What's with the reactions in the embassy, like "the higher the better" and such? Nothing mentioned in the manual. Also, how do i train the ambassador skill?

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: March 18, 2014, 01:18:13 pm »

. =empty space ,
F = Floor,
W = Wall,
1 = Trackramp NS,
2 = Trackramp NW,
3 = Trackramp NE,
4 = Trackramp SW,
5 = Trackramp SE,
H = hatchcover

Lvl1:
enemies enter from north, go to south
Code: [Select]
FWWF
FWWF
F11F
W23W
W23W
-as many as you like-
W23W
W23W
W23W
WFFW
WFFW
lvl2:
Code: [Select]
WWWW
4WW5
4WW5
-as many as you like-
4W44
4W4W
4HHW
53WW
WWWW

Put a minecart on each hatch cover, and open the hatches to start the system and close them to stop it.

Be careful, this design is not buildingdestroyer safe ^^

If you want to achieve that, change one row of:
W23W onto the lower floor into F11F (important that its floors, not ramps)
and the corresponding row above from 4WW5 into .WW.

Better do this close to the southern end of the system.

This prevents any BD to reach the hatches, and the minecarts can jump over the gaps, without issues, if they have enough speed (that's why it should be done close to the southern end)

Well, I've tried digging everything out and building the ramps manually, it didn't work, all ramps are unusable....How do I make them work?

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: March 20, 2014, 09:00:48 am »

ignore the fact, that it says they are unusable
Oh, and I prefer using constructed ramps, as it is much much easier to build them with the right orientation

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: March 21, 2014, 02:56:49 am »

I can't plant feather trees, why? I have cut feather logs and obtain some feather acorns, but can't find it in farm plot menu. I'm in good forest, there are lots of feather trees outside my fortress.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: March 21, 2014, 09:11:18 am »

The design works great, thanks mahrgell! Now I just have to wait for those pesky goblins mwhahah :D

Can someone give me advice on how I can make my original giant finished goods/furniture/armor/blocks/bars stockpile more FPS efficient? Pathing seems to cause me a MASSIVE fps loss on a 4x4 map with only the 2nd cavern breached. The fort is not that big, and I only have 1 waterfall and a dwarven water reactor. In my poorly designed vanilla DF fort with lots of sieges, deaths, all caverns uncovered and a huge mess on the huge 8x8 map I get a steady 80 fps with 80 dwarfs, whereas in my MW fort with 130 I get 25.....
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 165