Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201750 times)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2115 on: February 22, 2014, 09:57:16 pm »

How do i control what gets mass-melted in my Blast Furnace? Because they seem to melt things whether they are designated for melting or not. Same thing for my waatorium.

Queue up the melt object job. Then hit alt+a to bring up a menu. In there choose in inorganics -metal- then the metal type you want. This also works great for anything.  For example say you have 100 copper Spears and one adamantine one. You want to sacrifice copper ones at the altar of armok. Use alt+a to only select copper spears to sacrifice.

I really need a way to know what can I do with a particular item :(  For example I have dozens and dozens of single bone, skulls.. etc I cant use them to make bone things at the craftsdwarf workshop.
And theres a way to preserve corpses from rotting? And scalps?

Thanks

If bones are you problem try the bonecarver workshop.  You can also make them into ammo.  Skulls are used for totems I believe.  You maybe also be able to sacrifice them in the religious buildings for increased chance of rewards.

Some people like to run an experimental fort where there gift themselves a ton of points at embark and bring enough food and booze with them to totally wall in then build every type of new workshop to get to know them.  Most of the new masterwork workshops are relatively self explanatory in their names, a few not so much.  Is there anything besides bone you're having trouble with?

A couple of questions.
In the tailor's workshop theres and option to make sets of clothing for fur, silk, rare silk, and wool, but not for cotton fiber?¿ EDITED: Now theres the option, aparrently I had insufficient cotton at the moment, but I though you saw reactions red instead of no reaction at all?
Whats ground meat(produced from meat in the kitchen) used for?  And is there any way to access the ''used for'' menu for items, like when you select a stone and it tells you all of the uses for that stone, and the place to do them.

Thanks

Red reactions in many workshops cycle to the bottom so you don't have to scroll through a hundred red reactions to find the one white reaction you are looking for.  Comes in very handy in workshops that produce many types of things.  You grind meat and then turn the ground meat into sausages.  The extra steps to make sausage make meat edible without having to cook it into a meal type.  This is the same for the boil egg reaction. So instead of tons of inedible stuff filling up your stockpiles waiting for a making meal order, you can just turn them edible.

I have no idea about a used for menu.  However theres are many thousands of extra reactions in masterwork so it would probably be extremely hard to find.  Just mess around with the various workshops.  A good tip is to create blocks and then use the stonecutters workshops to make almost anything from blocks.  I'd suggest really read the manual, not just skim through it.  There are many tips for each industry that you'll be kicking yourself for skipping if you do.  My biggest mistake was skipping the new workshops for stone and wood for so long.  Every masterwork building is designed to cut out some of the tedious parts of vanilla.  Why make each chair/table when you can make whole sets in the furniture maker?  Or why queue up hundreds of shirts when you can make whole outfits in the clothemakers?  There are also lots of workarounds for vanilla shortcomings.  You can make stone beds for example while in vanilla you pretty much have to embark with wood or on a forest if you want any chance at happy sleeping dwarves.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:37:22 pm by kamikazi1231 »

Gromak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: February 23, 2014, 06:46:41 am »

Many thanks :D  Just another thing, what to do with bone chops? And is there a way to preserve corpses, and scalps?  Corpses rot so fast I cant butcher them all after killing dozens of goblins :(

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: February 23, 2014, 12:35:27 pm »

How do i control what gets mass-melted in my Blast Furnace? Because they seem to melt things whether they are designated for melting or not. Same thing for my waatorium.

Queue up the melt object job. Then hit ctrl+a to bring up a menu. In there choose in inorganics -metal- then the metal type you want. This also works great for anything.  For example say you have 100 copper Spears and one adamantine one. You want to sacrifice copper ones at the altar of armok. Use ctrl+a to only select copper spears to sacrifice.

Which menu do i press 'ctrl + a' in?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: February 23, 2014, 07:44:26 pm »

Queue up the melt object job. Then hit alt+a to bring up a menu. In there choose in inorganics -metal- then the metal type you want. This also works great for anything.  For example say you have 100 copper Spears and one adamantine one. You want to sacrifice copper ones at the altar of armok. Use alt+a to only select copper spears to sacrifice.

As soon as you say in the masons workshop do create a stone table.  Now you have the list on the right side of jobs and create stone table will be there.  Hit alt + a there to bring up the menu to let you select the material type.  It's in the same place you'd cycle through jobs to promote them, cancel them, or put them on repeat.

Many thanks :D  Just another thing, what to do with bone chops? And is there a way to preserve corpses, and scalps?  Corpses rot so fast I cant butcher them all after killing dozens of goblins :(

Can't help you there.  Never have dealt with scalps but I will usually just use souls left behind fast for sacrifices.  In terms of stopping the rotting I don't think there's much you could do besides set a bunch of no job dwarves to butcher and build a lot more butcher shops.  I know cage traps are frowned upon by some but if you manage to catch a decent amount of a siege you could release them and kill them in small bunches to control the butchering.

There's also a bug with butchering now where a dwarf may try to butcher the same creature over and over again, tieing up the butcher shop for a long time.  Keep an eye out for this.  They may be going to rot because you dwarf is butchering a piece of an animal, does the job, then runs a few steps to come back and try to butcher it again.  It can be alleviated with lots of butcher shops or paying close attention and forbidding/dumping the body part causing the backup.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:13:21 pm by kamikazi1231 »

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: February 23, 2014, 09:00:21 pm »

Queue up the melt object job. Then hit ctrl+a to bring up a menu. In there choose in inorganics -metal- then the metal type you want. This also works great for anything.  For example say you have 100 copper Spears and one adamantine one. You want to sacrifice copper ones at the altar of armok. Use ctrl+a to only select copper spears to sacrifice.

As soon as you say in the masons workshop do create a stone table.  Now you have the list on the right side of jobs and create stone table will be there.  Hit ctrl + a there to bring up the menu to let you select the material type.  It's in the same place you'd cycle through jobs to promote them, cancel them, or put them on repeat.

I was just about to write another paragraph of hopelessness when i was mashing buttons and found its actually ALT + A, not ctrl + a... which explains just about everything.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: February 23, 2014, 09:36:37 pm »

I was just about to write another paragraph of hopelessness when i was mashing buttons and found its actually ALT + A, not ctrl + a... which explains just about everything.

Oh wow sorry about that.  I don't know how I got ctrl stuck in my head.  Thank you for the correction I'll go back and fix it in my other posts.  Oh man I don't know how many other threads I've mentioned this cool feature in and gave the wrong keybind haha.

Gromak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: February 24, 2014, 11:02:47 am »

The bug with the never ending butchering only happens with the partial sekeletons of named creatures, like goblins. They butcher the goblin corpse just fine, but the partial skeleton that results must be dumped because dwarves try to butcher it to no end

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: February 24, 2014, 11:44:06 am »

So i finally got a Stonemancer, and transformed a Changeling into a Basilisk. How do i assign it to the Stonemancer? I cannot War Train it apparently, or assign it as a labor animal.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: February 24, 2014, 01:45:24 pm »

Is there a toggle to make that all migrants (and the starting 7) are all casteless? While getting migrants with it already is useful at times, it's a nightmare for organization. I'd rather choose what guilds my dwarves join, even if that means it will take longer for me to get guild dwarves.

Or if there's no easy toggle, any way to edit it in the raws?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: February 24, 2014, 02:27:31 pm »

Why does the warpstone pool auto-queue warpstone experiment jobs? Is it a bug, or did someone actually think that would be an enjoyable game-play element to include?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2125 on: February 25, 2014, 03:46:25 am »

Why does the warpstone pool auto-queue warpstone experiment jobs? Is it a bug, or did someone actually think that would be an enjoyable game-play element to include?
It was designed differently previously, with 1 start reaction, 20 different outcomes, and these 20 would be auto-queued. So you start manually, but the second reaction is automatic. I changed it with the help of "probabilitiy syndromes" so that the first reaction can make one of the 20 directly, no need for the second, automatic reaction. The only problem: While deleting the 19 unneeded ones, I left the automatic on the first.

tl;dr: Its a bug.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: February 26, 2014, 01:08:47 am »

So i just made a magma bottle from one of my magma forges. What do i do with it? If i could empty it into a hole that would be great.

Also, are Orcs immune to hellfire/dragonsbreath? Because i have 2 turrets spamming flames on them and they are standing there unaffected.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:20:55 am by Steforian »

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: February 26, 2014, 04:23:55 am »

shields are superefficient at blocking hellfire/dragonbreath, as in vanilla
Steal their shields(by cutting off arms etc^^) and they will suffer

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: February 26, 2014, 03:44:52 pm »

Hey guys, is there any resource i can check regarding the traps? What kind of material is best for spikes, stakes, barbed wire, axeheads etc. ?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: February 26, 2014, 04:07:26 pm »

Hey guys, is there any resource i can check regarding the traps? What kind of material is best for spikes, stakes, barbed wire, axeheads etc. ?

I would assume it's not all that changed for the most part, though orichalcum, bifrost, and volcanic are in the space between steel and adamantine. I would honestly have to recommend using bronze for most traps though because the one thing in ample supply in the mod at present in most embarks seems to be the components for bronze.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 165