Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201754 times)

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2130 on: February 26, 2014, 05:55:47 pm »

shields are superefficient at blocking hellfire/dragonbreath, as in vanilla
Steal their shields(by cutting off arms etc^^) and they will suffer
Ha, easier said than done. But it makes sense now.

I got another question about the liquid-spawner, when i deconstruct them (with a pillar and an empty space beneath and around them) it makes about 5 tiles of 1/7 magma... which quickly evaporates. I've tried filling it with 6 total magma bottles and it makes the same amount. What is the purpose of this building then? I thought it was to fill a room with magma.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: February 26, 2014, 06:00:09 pm »

Is there a toggle to make that all migrants (and the starting 7) are all casteless? While getting migrants with it already is useful at times, it's a nightmare for organization. I'd rather choose what guilds my dwarves join, even if that means it will take longer for me to get guild dwarves.

Or if there's no easy toggle, any way to edit it in the raws?

Anyone? A way to not get immigrants in guilds with the guilds enabled in the settings?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: February 26, 2014, 06:01:22 pm »

Hey guys, is there any resource i can check regarding the traps? What kind of material is best for spikes, stakes, barbed wire, axeheads etc. ?

I would assume it's not all that changed for the most part, though orichalcum, bifrost, and volcanic are in the space between steel and adamantine. I would honestly have to recommend using bronze for most traps though because the one thing in ample supply in the mod at present in most embarks seems to be the components for bronze.

Well...I used to remember that glass was fantastic for serrated discs etc. But the thing is, the traditional trap components are no longer there. So I am not sure what best fits the new ones.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2133 on: February 26, 2014, 06:02:33 pm »

you can open creature_standard.txt, and change the pop-ratios of all to 1, but leave the pop-ratio for normal dwarves at 10000 or so.

traps: saw blades are serrated discs, just the name is different. Because, you know, large serrated discs are literally circular saw blades.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LordNippes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: February 27, 2014, 07:45:59 am »

Two short questions...
In which stockpile is glue from bloated tuber stored?
How can i avoid dwarfs to pick up better armor which belongs to their uniform when it comes out of the Forge. For instance when i want to upgrade a new stack of breastplates to platemail before they equip it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:48:38 am by LordNippes »

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: February 27, 2014, 09:57:08 am »

How can I transform beetle honedyew into food? It looks like cookable item from kitchen menu, but prepare meals does not seem to make a use out of it.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: February 27, 2014, 11:22:32 am »

Two short questions...
In which stockpile is glue from bloated tuber stored?
Along with all the other library supplies, glue is considered as a 'tool', by default these are stored in 'Finished Good' stockpiles.
How can i avoid dwarfs to pick up better armor which belongs to their uniform when it comes out of the Forge. For instance when i want to upgrade a new stack of breastplates to platemail before they equip it.
There's no way to stop them from doing this, other than deleting that item from your equips screen, or assigning your militia to a burrow or something else stupid like that. However, this probably actually isn't a bad thing, because afaik, initial quality of a breastplate means nothing when it's upgraded in the armory (not sure about the rune armory, though, haven't used it much), so it would be best to instead use the lower quality breastplates they de-equip than the better quality ones you just made. This goes for weapons, too.
How can I transform beetle honedyew into food? It looks like cookable item from kitchen menu, but prepare meals does not seem to make a use out of it.
Yeah, it is cookable, both before and after brewing it into mead (though cooking booze is probably not the greatest idea ever). The only real consideration when looking for ingredients is distance, although of course you have to have at least one solid ingredient in each meal. Long story short, either put your Farmer's workshop next to your Kitchen, or make a custom stockpile

Anyway, I'm not only here to answer questions, so here goes:
-I was worried about soap production, so I put my kitchen on 'Render fat to tallow' for two years. Now, of course, I've got way too much. I've been using it in Lavish meals, but the stack of ☼tallow cold soup☼ (sounds appetizing, I know) is always inordinately small, usually only 3-4, and never more than ten. This doesn't happen to meals with other ingredients. Why?
-I finally got around to researching a megabeast's kennel and building a slaughterhouse. A long time ago, like in the second year of the fortress, my militia commander killed a centauress, and its corpse was marked as that of a megabeast. I decided to butcher it and revive it at the Kennel. Now it has a name and seems to be a civ member, I guess they're considered to be sentient? Why are they considered MBs? She wasn't tough for one (at the time) relatively unskilled dwarf to kill, and I didn't know she was named until just now. She can be assigned labors, but for some reason Therapist still calls her livestock. She can't however, be put into the military (damn shame, she'd be capable of one-handing everything, in theory). How do I handle this? If she dies, can I resurrect her again?
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: February 28, 2014, 10:17:44 am »

How good is slade as a weapon because i found slade balista arrows from relics. Also Is there a way to keep the dumb dwarfs from taking the research notes and putting them in bins causing the research redoing it all over agian for maybe ten time.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: February 28, 2014, 10:21:57 am »

Simply do not use bins ^^ All the bins my fortresses have are from murdered caravans...

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: February 28, 2014, 12:59:01 pm »

I hardly even use stockpiles, period. The only ones you really need are food and refuse/corpses, to prevent rot. Store processed material in the workshop it's created in, and whatever else you can usually just dump.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: March 01, 2014, 08:08:28 am »

Set up a stockpile to store the research, but not use Bins. I believe the notes are under the Stone category, or Finished Goods.

Storing stuff in the workshop is something i do not like doing, it causes clutter which slows down production.

Kikuto

• Bay Watcher
  • Missing being an escaped lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: March 02, 2014, 01:28:07 am »

Okay I've tried to figure this one out with no luck and feels super newbie but I give up trying to puzzle this one out.
Fletcher's Workshop can add a bayonet to repeating crossbow which I thought would be awesome since my forts pretty young and the people who hunt and the people who defend it  are the same and a bayoneted crossbow I think would give them a hell of an edge when enemies close on them.

This is where I'm stumped, how do you make large rock dagger, cause thats what the reaction calls for to add bayonets and I cannot figure out how to do it. I've searched through the craftdwarfs shop and found nothing for it besides the hilts. Tried making rock hilt, blade and head to see if they could be assembled into a dagger but again no luck. What am I missing?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: March 02, 2014, 01:35:10 am »

Seems like it's a bug or something with the reaction. Adding bayonets should take a large metal dagger and a crossbow/repeating crossbow.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2143 on: March 02, 2014, 02:52:05 am »

rock = the ingame synonym for inorganic. = metal.

Go to the forge, forge any metal dagger. The normal, vanilla DF Metalsmiths Forge. Make an iron dagger, take crossbow, make iron bayonetted crossbow. The repeating one needs mechanisms.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kikuto

• Bay Watcher
  • Missing being an escaped lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: March 02, 2014, 06:13:47 am »

Oh, thats not good, might be a different problem then, sitting in the same bin is a Large Black Bronze dagger and Repeating Bronze Crossbow. With some Mechanism in the same stockpile and the reaction is still redded out at the Fletcher's Workshop like I don't have the proper materials avaliable. Am I just boned in that case?
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 165