Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 66

Author Topic: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management  (Read 61673 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management
« Reply #210 on: May 02, 2013, 08:42:59 am »

I still think we should name the AA Badger the Hydra. Also, we should make sure that the guns can traverse at a low enough angle to provide infantry support.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 02, 2013, 10:24:20 am »

Hydra sounds like a good name for an AA badger platform +1.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 02, 2013, 01:14:52 pm »

AA badger platform +1  nameing the Hydra +1 if we put lots of air cooled patriot MG's on it.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 02, 2013, 05:35:55 pm »

I suggest a production line of only about 50-100 of our weapons for spec ops, so that we don't steal effort away from the main aviation effort.

+1 To designing the plane.
+1 to lightening the Patriot further.
+1 to AA Badger ('Hydra')
+1 to infantry weapon production, but only leftover labor- most, if not all labor goes to planes.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 02, 2013, 05:56:36 pm »

I suggest a production line of only about 50-100 of our weapons for spec ops, so that we don't steal effort away from the main aviation effort.

+1 To designing the plane.
+1 to lightening the Patriot further.
+1 to AA Badger ('Hydra')
+1 to infantry weapon production, but only leftover labor- most, if not all labor goes to planes.
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2013, 06:31:34 pm »

I think we can all agree to the plan above. So, anyone else up for finishing the AT cannon while we're at it?
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2013, 06:37:32 pm »

why not?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 02, 2013, 10:40:12 pm »

If you mean the 40mm cannon then go for it, but we really do need a better aircraft engine.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 02, 2013, 11:26:44 pm »

Let's not spread our efforts too thin, we got AP shells for the existing 40mm guns, that should be enough for equivalent of our Badgers. But keep the idea of 40mm gun for later.

We are tasked to solve air superiority problem .  Both biplanes and Hydraes can do that. That's our focus. Also we need to help our navy to boost it's AA abilities, I hope it will enter the war

Naming : Call 14mm sniper rifle "Stinger"

As 4 got no support and I want to boost our fleet:

Remove mine laying equipment and mines from our
cruisers, add many patriotism machineguns instead.  Priority: Low

Patriotisms are produced already, reliable and watercooling allows sustained fire.
We don't want our cruisers sunk by slow, low flying torpedo biplanes, right?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2013, 11:53:21 pm »

At the beginning of the year the focus of all efforts lies in the development of an aircraft to counter the Morovian threat. All engineers participate in a crash program to throw together a nimble light biplane. On the completion of this feat, focus will shift to lightening the Air-cooled Patriotism developing an anti-aircraft variant of the Badger designated Hydra.

The years production begins with a production run consisting primarily of the our gas engine and air cooled Patriotism guns for the upcoming airframe. Some workers are also assigned to producing the previously prototyped infantry weapons. Once the airframe is developed, production will shift wholesale to producing the new aircraft. A number of your engineers performed admirably and despite the rush, an excellent design emerges after just under 5 months.

The frame consists of lightweight aluminum struts with an aluminum skin on the body with fabric over wooden frame wings that are staggered for reduced drag for flexibility and an enclosed cockpit for even less drag.

Length: 8m
Wingspan: 11m
Weight: 1200kg
Armament: 2 air cooled Patriotism 8mm machine guns with interrupter gears.
Crew: 1
Speed: 230 km/h

Afterwards 5 engineers and 10 novice engineers work on further lightening the air cooled patriotism. At most, it can be reduced to 10kg before you compromising its structure or moving to a less powerful caliber.

And your remaining engineers work on adapting a quad machine gun turret for the badger. They managed to do one better. The final AA badger retains one of the badgers original anti personnel machine guns, but now mounts a battery of 4 machine guns in its turret. For endurance of fire, it uses the water cooled mk1 patriotism guns.

Select a bonus (powered turret for faster tracking, a 5th machine gun for 20% higher rate of fire, improved range finding for better accuracy at long range).

During the first 5 months 50 of your novice workers construct a variety of infantry weapons, constructing 10 14mm sniper rifles, and around 30 each of the SVA-10, shotgun and pistol. After that all production is focused on the new aircraft, producing 111 by years end.

After more than a year of stalemate. Our planes fly out to meet the enemy as our ground forces prepare to advance. An epic air battle ensues. Our aircraft are slightly slower and slightly outnumbered, but just as maneuverable and more heavily armed. More than half of our aircraft are destroyed, but more than 2/3s of theirs are as well.

With the enemy aircraft occupied our Badger tank units storm forwards relatively unscathed manage to flank around the enemies trenches. As they take the enemy airfield they face their first foe larger than a simple armored truck. The enemy has constructed a number of tank destroyers armed with 60mm cannons. Unbelievably, the enemies first salvo almost entirely misses or even bounces off the Badgers front plate. Our return fire destroys a few of the TD's and the badgers move to rapidly flank the enemy and unleash a final barrage of fire against the more lightly armored but more heavily armed vehicles. roughly 20% of our badgers were disabled or destroyed, but all of the enemy TD's were taken out and the enemy airbase is captured. Most of the remaining enemy aircraft managed to limp out of the area and may have been able to make it to friendlier territory before running dry.

The infantry battle goes more poorly. Most of our weapons have a distinct advantage at range due to the power of our 8mm rifle cartridge, but they prove unwieldy in close quarters with low rates of fire and bulk. The very limited quantities of the new SVA-10, pistols and shotguns in the field are met with appreciation by those lucky enough to get their hands on one.

But without air support and no remaining friendly artillery the remaining Morovians fall back to the sea and retreat by boat to their nations capital. Having kept our ships in reserve to protect our capital, we had no way to pursue them. The region is ours for now and government insists that there will be lasting security. Though privately some might remind you that we only defeated half their military.

At your disposal:
6 experienced engineers
25 engineers
18 novice engineers
1 experienced aviation engineer
1 veteran worker
24 experienced workers
90 workers
184 novice workers

A new brick office
A large flat field, suitable for use as a runway.
An old partially bombed out wharf with:
1 operational dockyard up to a displacement of 1600 tons (large enough for frigates)
3 warehouses converted to a small factory/machine shop.
1 not quite finished tank Factory
Several cleared lots
Various damaged or destroyed structures that are of no use at this time.

Designs not yet produced for field use:

Unreliable handgrenade

unnamed
PT Boat

Enemy designs:
tank destroyer 60mm

biplane 2x6mm machine guns

carbine 6mm

NOTE: proposals 4, 6, 7 (technically), 8 can still be on the table for next year if they get enough support.

Note the format for proposals from my previous post.

And finally... note that this part of Morovia is separated from the rest of the country by a small sea.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:56:14 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2013, 12:51:33 am »

Well, that went well :D. Now as for Hydra bonus, this is a toughie. I'm torn between powered turret for that extra tracking, and improved rangefinder for that long range accuracy....

*Flips coin* powered turret it is.

Now, you can tell they just threw together something to counter our badgers, and it didn't even work all that well since I suspect those were low velocity 60mm guns on those TDs. Though that's a bit irrelevant, since the remainder of the country is across the water, so we need a naval-focused turn.

1)OK, we finish working out the kinks on that PT boat/transport so that that offloading ramp works properly without sinking the boat

2)We get a blueprint started for a class of light frigates to provide protection to the rest of the fleet from aircraft(unless that was their only airfield, in which case the design becomes a light shiphunter/standoff bombardment ship). Regardless, I propose the design of lighter 120mm guns for these frigates (mounted into two single turrets) so as to provide some antiship capability

3)Alternately, since we captured their airfield we can go ahead and design a heavier aircraft capable of dropping a couple bombs, and begin a bombing campaign against their cities until they surrender

4)Doesn't really need to be said, but for clarity, begin producing Hydras so that they can form flak brigades to protect the armored divisions as they advance. If needed, expand the existing factory to handle the Hydra and all future Badger variants we might come up with(I have an ARV(Armored Recovery Vehicle) in mind for when we have breathing room)

5)Also, get as many of the new infantry weapons made as possible. See if we can get the military to sponsor a small-arms factory to speed up re-arming the troops

6)lower priority:If we managed to capture any of those TDs, take them apart and see if there's anything we can learn from them, as well as put any ones that are fixable through their paces to test their capabilities. What I want most is to reverse engineer and improve upon that 60mm gun, we might be able to use that in our own badger TDs

Edit: Something that should be higher priority: Expand the shipyard to handle ships of at least 2000 tons so we can start building proper warships
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:58:07 am by tryrar »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 03, 2013, 01:06:01 am »

Tryrar, IMO bombers, Tank destroyers, shipyard for large shipd and the like is too offensive minded, we first need to to secure our territory, than we may go on offensive campaign

My proposals

7) take the powered turret, It makes it's easier for the crew + useful for naval version of the turret

8) Analyze captured designs, especially 6mm ammo and 6mm machine-guns, try to design light SMG using 6mm bullet. Also reverse engineer and start producing 6mm ammo to use trophy carbines

9) Modify new Hydra turret to be used at navy, install them to our cruisers replacing mines and mining equipment.

10)  Redesign Righteous prototype once again, replace watercooled patriotisms with new AA turret(s)
10 Build Righteous universal boats, we need coast defense\landing crafts\patrol boats\mine layers whatever plans our military has.
I do not think that  ramp needs to be fixed, we'll design a proper landing craft later. Those are our jack of all trades and can work without landing ramps.

11) Build more sniper rifles, SVA-10s, and, if any suitable design is made, those new 6mm SMGs from 7. But this is low priority, no land combat is expected soon

12)  New naming scheme for our navy (that always varied from navy to navy so we can invent our own, rename our existing destroyers to corvettes)
Up to 250 - Boat
250-750 - Corvette
750-1500 - Frigate
1500-3000 - Destroyer
3000-6000 - Cruiser

13) build Hydras, build more fighters, design  and build dedicated 80mm heavy fixed AA guns to be placed around our cities, we need to be ready for Morovian bombers. Do not work on bombers, securing our cities is more important 

14) Design new engine compatible with our current fighters to solve our lower speed problem. Retrofit existing fighters with new engines

15) Design 320mm gun and shell for it to be used as coastal battery to defend our capital and other coastal cities thus freeing our navy for offensive operations

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:12:18 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 03, 2013, 01:13:56 am »

OK, I can get behind all of that, except the smaller cartridge designs. We have perfectly serviceable 8mm guns, no need to design something smaller unless it give some sort of advantage I'm not aware of...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 03, 2013, 01:37:31 am »

Well, smaller round = lower weight

We can find some use SMG\light semi auto rifle for close combat. And no need to throw away captured carbines, they look like a capable weapon for the reserve units at the very least, so why not add 6 mm ammo to our standard calibers?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 03, 2013, 01:38:54 am »

point. Ok, I'll support that +1
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 66