Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 190557 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.1
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2013, 11:23:37 am »

"Don't see why we shouldn't go that way. After all, that could either be a village or stacked piles of innocent corpses that some evil overlord set fire to. Either way, adventure awaits!"

Lady Foxglove didn't turn around, but she did respond...

"You know, I once dated an evil overlord. Charming fellow. Showed me how to fit a head on a pike just right, so the jaw is offset and it looks funny. I also liked his beard, it tickled.

You know how it goes. Of course, he tries to summon the Grand Dragon-Demon Aranchanoloxapox to help 'facilitate his conquest of the world' was how he put it, I think he just wanted to impress me enough to sleep with him. Might have worked, but some annoying heroine with green spiky hair ruined the ritual at just the right moment, and he was eaten pretty much whole when the warding failed. Quite anti climactic, but our relationship was just going in circles anyway.

Then again, Arachanoloxapox turned out to be the quite the charmer himself, when he took human form-and wasn't trying to add me to his treasure den as a trifle of some sort-I'm not really into chains, or serving drinks. I do wonder if he got my letter...eh, probably not...

Anyway, don't say that name too much. If you added the right final syllable, he'd actually be able to hear you, or see you, or something. And possibly descend unto the world in a fire storm of blood, death and destruction. Who knows, really. Demons are weird."

"I'm Tackov, if you didn't know.  Hey, wait up!"

"How about I call you 'Tacky' for short?" She replied swiftly.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2013, 11:38:13 am »

"You know, I once dated an evil overlord. Charming fellow. Showed me how to fit a head on a pike just right, so the jaw is offset and it looks funny. I also liked his beard, it tickled.

You know how it goes. Of course, he tries to summon the Grand Dragon-Demon Aranchanoloxapox to help 'facilitate his conquest of the world' was how he put it, I think he just wanted to impress me enough to sleep with him. Might have worked, but some annoying heroine with green spiky hair ruined the ritual at just the right moment, and he was eaten pretty much whole when the warding failed. Quite anti climactic, but our relationship was just going in circles anyway.

Then again, Arachanoloxapox turned out to be the quite the charmer himself, when he took human form-and wasn't trying to add me to his treasure den as a trifle of some sort-I'm not really into chains, or serving drinks. I do wonder if he got my letter...eh, probably not...

Anyway, don't say that name too much. If you added the right final syllable, he'd actually be able to hear you, or see you, or something. And possibly descend unto the world in a fire storm of blood, death and destruction. Who knows, really. Demons are weird."

"I once delivered a message to an evil overlord. It was pretty fun, I have to say. Had to run through some blackened badlands and I'm pretty sure the river of blood wasn't a natural occurrence, so to speak, but once I got to his dark keep, it was rather nice. He seemed to really like the message, too. Said that his plan was coming together or some such nonsense, then tipped me several golden coins for my trouble and gave me a jolly pat on the back as I left. That was the most appreciated I'd felt that year, have to say. And I could buy myself a sweet hat for the money, so it was double great, one might say. Wonder what happened to the guy."

"I'm Tackov, if you didn't know.  Hey, wait up!"

The messenger scratches behind his ear as he jogs steadily, then looks at Tackov, stopping as he catches up, then resuming the jog.

"Anyway, pleased to meet you, Tackov! What brings you over to these parts?"

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2013, 11:40:50 am »

"Where are you all headed?

Follow the others north.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2013, 11:49:22 am »

"I once delivered a message to an evil overlord. It was pretty fun, I have to say. Had to run through some blackened badlands and I'm pretty sure the river of blood wasn't a natural occurrence, so to speak, but once I got to his dark keep, it was rather nice. He seemed to really like the message, too. Said that his plan was coming together or some such nonsense, then tipped me several golden coins for my trouble and gave me a jolly pat on the back as I left. That was the most appreciated I'd felt that year, have to say. And I could buy myself a sweet hat for the money, so it was double great, one might say. Wonder what happened to the guy."

"My own guy was more into black stone pyramids, crystal barriers, lightning rods, arcane circles and all that. Had his slaves ship in barrels and barrels of sand, made it into a 'desert' area. He really was into the whole, pharaoh-overlord-chic movement. I was sad when that trend died out-had to scrap plans to build my own pyramid, decided I would put all that money into just living forever. Which is a fine goal, wouldn't you agree?" She said.

Follow the others north.

"Out of this field right at the moment, nondescript spell flinger. Do you have a name, or shall I 'conjure' an amusing nickname for you on the spot?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2013, 12:03:37 pm »

"My own guy was more into black stone pyramids, crystal barriers, lightning rods, arcane circles and all that. Had his slaves ship in barrels and barrels of sand, made it into a 'desert' area. He really was into the whole, pharaoh-overlord-chic movement. I was sad when that trend died out-had to scrap plans to build my own pyramid, decided I would put all that money into just living forever. Which is a fine goal, wouldn't you agree?" She said.

"The one I delivered to was a bit more pragmatic - it was only his immediate dependents' lands he pillaged, burned, marauded and covered in flaming blood and pikes with heads on them - his actual lands were the most vibrant farmlands I'd seen - I asked one of his courtiers about it, but he only said that druids will do anything if sufficiently persuaded, and he did some weird air-quotes at that last bit, then grinned. I grinned with him, then he laughed, and I laughed, and then I left, because he had been laughing in a way that made me feel rather dirty and uncomfortable."

He thinks a moment.

"As for immortality, it sounds pretty fun, truth be told, but I get the feeling that somebody who actually gets it is bound to procrastinate endlessly and sit in a dinghy old tomb waiting for some adventurer to come along and help their Methuselah-esque asses actually do something for once. I mean, when you have unlimited time, you're bound to waste it all on relaxation eventually. After all, why don't liches and such rule the world? Simple laziness, I say! And nothing breeds complete and utter laziness like immortality."

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2013, 12:06:08 pm »

Follow the others north.

"Out of this field right at the moment, nondescript spell flinger. Do you have a name, or shall I 'conjure' an amusing nickname for you on the spot?"

"My name is Whiz. What's your name?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2013, 12:09:18 pm »

Oy, you ain't going off without me, ye bastards!

Run after the fellows.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2013, 12:24:49 pm »

"The one I delivered to was a bit more pragmatic - it was only his immediate dependents' lands he pillaged, burned, marauded and covered in flaming blood and pikes with heads on them - his actual lands were the most vibrant farmlands I'd seen - I asked one of his courtiers about it, but he only said that druids will do anything if sufficiently persuaded, and he did some weird air-quotes at that last bit, then grinned. I grinned with him, then he laughed, and I laughed, and then I left, because he had been laughing in a way that made me feel rather dirty and uncomfortable."

He thinks a moment.

"As for immortality, it sounds pretty fun, truth be told, but I get the feeling that somebody who actually gets it is bound to procrastinate endlessly and sit in a dinghy old tomb waiting for some adventurer to come along and help their Methuselah-esque asses actually do something for once. I mean, when you have unlimited time, you're bound to waste it all on relaxation eventually. After all, why don't liches and such rule the world? Simple laziness, I say! And nothing breeds complete and utter laziness like immortality."

Lady Foxglove laughed a bit, actually turning about a bit and facing the enigmatic messenger. He was sharp, and that was unexpected. She genuinely liked surprises.

"I can't help but feel that was an indirect backhanded comment toward me, but you did it with so much class and tact I cannot help, but be impressed. Must have spent some time in the Courts O' Lords, I'm guessing.

Also, I tend to think liches and such are a bit going the wrong way-whats eternal life without eternal youth? Like a piece of cake without frosting, really. I mean, you got it, but that's all? You could do so much better, I think...much, much better. As I aim to. Perhaps the Gods themselves will grant me this pretty, if I win through-or maybe I can find it on the way, we'll see.

Anywho, whats your goal here, Messenger? Are you aiming to save the world-as-we-know it? Which is a fine goal and all, I like the world and it's many pleasures-blue pearls and pretty white lace dresses, for instance. Strawberry cheesecake. Red silk sheets and scented body oil. All those important things and more worthy of saving in our great epic quest, and say if ruthless measures maybe are required to do so, all the better.

What are you saving on this quest, Saer-if preservation is indeed an instinct of yours?"

She turned on the whizard, dropping him one of her charming smiles.

"For your benefit, you may call me Lady Foxglove Vainglorious the Third. Shorten it as you like, it's a horrible unwieldy name but it's...just...so...me. Isn't it?"

Oy, you ain't going off without me, ye bastards!

Run after the fellows.

"I can't speak of these fellows parentage, but I at least was born a noble bastard-as dalliances among the upper and lower class oft produce." She said back to him, not seeming ashamed or concerned at all.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2013, 01:06:01 pm »

"Er... why Tacky?  It's not exactly shorter than Tackov.

He turns toward the messenger.

"Well, I come from a family of wizards- perhaps you know the name Cedtry?- but I am the fifth son of the current patriarch.  Not exactly in line for the family honors, you know?  I had an apprenticeship, but it... ended early.  I figured being a hero here was my best shot at bringing my family honor."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2013, 01:13:07 pm »

((Switching to pink since purple is just about illegible on Darkling.))

"Heh, looks like I made it. Ow. Could have done without the burns." Medha dusts off her clothes overly dramatically, then looks over the other members of the party. Aw, man, that would've been easier if she didn't make it. Whatever... "Uh... Miss Vainglove Foxglorious, was it? No hard feelings, nothin' personal. I just wanted to win this race. Always wanted to be a hero, you see. Heroes get to loot more stuff!"
She turns to address the party.
"Look, I realize this is a bit of an eyeraiser comin' from me - might have bad blood with one of my kin, I can understand that, they're quacks, unlike me - but I don't wanna to backstab any of you. Wouldn't be of any benefit to me, you see - you don't have nothin', and that's not what a hero does, right? 'course.

What's that noise we're hearin', anyway? Welcome committee?"
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2013, 01:14:13 pm »

She turned on the whizard, dropping him one of her charming smiles.

"For your benefit, you may call me Lady Foxglove Vainglorious the Third. Shorten it as you like, it's a horrible unwieldy name but it's...just...so...me. Isn't it?"
"I think I'll just call you Adelige, if that isn't a problem."

"Er... why Tacky?  It's not exactly shorter than Tackov.

He turns toward the messenger.

"Well, I come from a family of wizards- perhaps you know the name Cedtry?- but I am the fifth son of the current patriarch.  Not exactly in line for the family honors, you know?  I had an apprenticeship, but it... ended early.  I figured being a hero here was my best shot at bringing my family honor."
You're a wizard too? Do you specialize in any school of magic, or are you just a generalist?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2013, 01:18:13 pm »

Tackov smiles.  "I'm a Wind Mage, and control wind in many of its forms and elements.  How about yourself?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2013, 01:21:56 pm »

"I can't help but feel that was an indirect backhanded comment toward me, but you did it with so much class and tact I cannot help, but be impressed. Must have spent some time in the Courts O' Lords, I'm guessing.

Also, I tend to think liches and such are a bit going the wrong way-whats eternal life without eternal youth? Like a piece of cake without frosting, really. I mean, you got it, but that's all? You could do so much better, I think...much, much better. As I aim to. Perhaps the Gods themselves will grant me this pretty, if I win through-or maybe I can find it on the way, we'll see.

Anywho, whats your goal here, Messenger? Are you aiming to save the world-as-we-know it? Which is a fine goal and all, I like the world and it's many pleasures-blue pearls and pretty white lace dresses, for instance. Strawberry cheesecake. Red silk sheets and scented body oil. All those important things and more worthy of saving in our great epic quest, and say if ruthless measures maybe are required to do so, all the better.

What are you saving on this quest, Saer-if preservation is indeed an instinct of yours?"

"You could say liches are also forever young. Most people their age would be falling apart, and some are remarkably spry, I've heard. Must be the lack of meat. But the thing is, whether you're pretty and ageless as a vampire from an old wife's tale or as meatless and functional as a lord of liches from a wizard's dreams, you still have forever to do anything, which means you'll take forever to do anything. And that's a bit of human nature nobody who's human at heart can escape, even if they manage subvert it once and never fall apart and die as a normal man or woman will. In fact, that bit of human nature - the ever-present feeling of not having enough time to do all they want or enjoy all they want - is why they want to become immortal in the first place. All seekers of immortality have their innately lazy natures to thank for having such an ambition in the first place. And the only thing laziness breeds is more laziness. It's why liches live in lonely tombs, vampires are glorified mosquito-men and ageless races are conquered by humans."

The messenger takes a look around.

"As for my goal, I don't really have one. Saving the world seems like a nice enough prospect, if only for the rewards. But the reason I'm here is impulse more than anything. Sure, I could have let the wizard know that the armored knight paying me would arrive shortly with a full complement of enchanted armor and weaponry. A safe bet, you know, for both the world and myself - the baron would probably have me hanged, drawn and quartered if he caught me should I have failed at running through the portal in time, which, as far as we know, could entirely have happened. But I was feeling a bit down on the profession of messenger as a whole, and figured that, since this is a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity I was given, I might as well take it. It would be silly to advance great and far-reaching goals, as it is only after the journey itself that we, having changed as people, could know what we truly want and need."

"Haven't heard of the name so far, sorry. That patriarch does sound like an awfully fertile fellow for a wizard, though. Anyway, good luck with that honor-gathering. Hope your brothers don't take offense when you succeed, though. It's always embarrassing to have the little guy overshadow you to the point of anonymity."

"Look, I realize this is a bit of an eyeraiser comin' from me - might have bad blood with one of my kin, I can understand that, they're quacks, unlike me - but I don't wanna to backstab any of you. Wouldn't be of any benefit to me, you see - you don't have nothin', and that's not what a hero does, right? 'course.

What's that noise we're hearin', anyway? Welcome committee?"

"We are truly glad you feel this way, dear companion. I also would not wish to backstab you most severely. Wouldn't be productive. More painful than anything."

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2013, 01:24:25 pm »

Tackov smiles.  "I'm a Wind Mage, and control wind in many of its forms and elements.  How about yourself?"
Mostly a generalist, although you could say I specialize in speed enhancements.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2013, 03:18:06 pm »

@Lawas: Is it intentional most of us do not have weapons at this point? Or does that really matter? :P
I know 4/6 are magic users of some sort, but that leaves Lady and Gervedder to punch things or surrender in case of trouble. And Lady Foxgloves silken gloves will not condone the indignity of being formed into a fist. Elbows and knees to groins are probably fair game, though.

Partly intentional in that it doesn't really matter, yes. The melee rules are quite simple, and I thought adding bonuses for weapons, except for magic stuff, would complicate things more than I want to. Instead weapons give a variety of damage rolls.

So yes, it's a bit silly, but an elbow to the groin could be as effective as an axe. Perhaps I should think about that.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 118