Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 190539 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.1
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2013, 03:18:55 pm »

"Speed, huh?  I can do a bit of that myself.  Wonder what would happen if we both sped up the same person..."

One could assume we do have weapons that aren't worthy of mention (See:  Sissy Slap Fight)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2013, 03:41:16 pm »

"Speed, huh?  I can do a bit of that myself.  Wonder what would happen if we both sped up the same person..."
"I wonder... Maybe we'll get a chance to test it out soon! Anyways, want to trade a bit of spell knowledge? I've always found wind magic interesting."

Initiate knowledge transfer.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:37:23 pm by Chink »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2013, 03:45:12 pm »

"Hmm... okay."

Also instigate knowledge transfer
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2013, 07:08:15 pm »

"I can't speak of these fellows parentage, but I at least was born a noble bastard-as dalliances among the upper and lower class oft produce." She said back to him, not seeming ashamed or concerned at all.
Well, good for you. I bet you're so proud. Anyhow, don't cross me and I'll save the broken faces for the people who try to kill us.
He contemplates the discussion about immortality for a few seconds.
If I were immortal, half the world would be dead right now.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2013, 11:30:27 pm »

((Switching to pink since purple is just about illegible on Darkling.))

"Heh, looks like I made it. Ow. Could have done without the burns." Medha dusts off her clothes overly dramatically, then looks over the other members of the party. Aw, man, that would've been easier if she didn't make it. Whatever... "Uh... Miss Vainglove Foxglorious, was it? No hard feelings, nothin' personal. I just wanted to win this race. Always wanted to be a hero, you see. Heroes get to loot more stuff!"

"Ah, this business is never personal darling. Hopefully we'll have a better working relationship now we're on the same side, yes?" She said, with a slightly venomous smile.

"You could say liches are also forever young. Most people their age would be falling apart, and some are remarkably spry, I've heard. Must be the lack of meat. But the thing is, whether you're pretty and ageless as a vampire from an old wife's tale or as meatless and functional as a lord of liches from a wizard's dreams, you still have forever to do anything, which means you'll take forever to do anything. And that's a bit of human nature nobody who's human at heart can escape, even if they manage subvert it once and never fall apart and die as a normal man or woman will. In fact, that bit of human nature - the ever-present feeling of not having enough time to do all they want or enjoy all they want - is why they want to become immortal in the first place. All seekers of immortality have their innately lazy natures to thank for having such an ambition in the first place. And the only thing laziness breeds is more laziness. It's why liches live in lonely tombs, vampires are glorified mosquito-men and ageless races are conquered by humans."

The messenger takes a look around.

"As for my goal, I don't really have one. Saving the world seems like a nice enough prospect, if only for the rewards. But the reason I'm here is impulse more than anything. Sure, I could have let the wizard know that the armored knight paying me would arrive shortly with a full complement of enchanted armor and weaponry. A safe bet, you know, for both the world and myself - the baron would probably have me hanged, drawn and quartered if he caught me should I have failed at running through the portal in time, which, as far as we know, could entirely have happened. But I was feeling a bit down on the profession of messenger as a whole, and figured that, since this is a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity I was given, I might as well take it. It would be silly to advance great and far-reaching goals, as it is only after the journey itself that we, having changed as people, could know what we truly want and need."

Lady Foxglove now slowed down completely, and came to slightly spring along at the messengers side.

"I suppose at the end of it all, we'll find out friendship is the real treasure, and what we really wanted to had inside our hearts all along? Wake me when I stop dreaming." She said, in a sardonic yet somewhat sweet tone.

"...In any case, we have to survive the night first, and the quest beyond for nights uncounted...and speaking of survival, yours is certainly in question. You might die here-or suffer a worse fate, along with the rest of us-if you go back, you'll certainly be killed by your former employer-perhaps even if we actually get this magical flute or whatever it was. Was there truly nothing and no one you valued in your life to throw everything to the wind so thusly? Family, friends, sweethearts?" She inquired, somewhat puzzled. In her own mind 'ordinary' people tended to have boring, peaceful lives-and didn't like taking risks to upset them.

"I think I'll just call you Adelige, if that isn't a problem."

"Er... why Tacky?  It's not exactly shorter than Tackov.

"But, Tacky is more humorous. And I like that word, Adelige. I don't know what it means, but I like it."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.2
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2013, 04:27:14 am »

Turn Two

After the adventurers put themselves out, dust themselves off, and exchange generally amiable pleasantries, Lady Foxglove strides off with purpose through the field to the north, her long legs picking their way between the deep hard furrows with ease, leaving Gervedder Vietzo behind her, shuffling slowly along as he peers into the night sky to try to make out what the trails of smoke might be.

It’s mostly hard to tell.

”I don’t think they’re piles of burning corpses… Hey, wait up!”

Mehda the Curse Crafter stumps past the messenger as he stands and strains his eyes towards the north; the two wizards follow with the angry pyrophile behind muttering to himself about drinking and debt.

"I wonder... Maybe we'll get a chance to test it out soon! Anyways, want to trade a bit of spell knowledge? I've always found wind magic interesting."

"Hmm... okay?"

The two wizards are talking to each other in low voices, wondering about the ancient techniques of knowledge transfer, and they reach the north side of the field as the one is just explaining to the other that they could probably exchange spells temporarily, and that of course a competent mage could memorise an unknown spell for one use only, and that at a certain later time, informally known in the arcane tongue of wizards as ‘levelling up’, they should probably be able to learn the aforementioned spell permanently, when the approaching muffled sound of riders - which had been growing imperceptibly louder as the band conversed - abruptly stops behind the western hedgerow at the edge of the field.

There’s a moment’s pause; then a cry.

”Sneaky Guardians, attack!”

Mounts snort; gaps are burst in the hedgerow; eight small creatures mounted on powerful warponies charge into the field from the west.

Bukkar and Gervedder, still a short distance from the northern edge and their companions, drop flat to the ground, doing their best to hide in the furrows.

The other four take cover in the small ditch behind the fence, and the mounted patrol rein in, clearly confused at not finding their expected – or indeed any – prey at the end of their charge.

One turns to another slightly more rotund rider, and they discuss, pointing to the east.

The small patrol stands in the centre of the field, and whilst his two superiors discuss their next move one of the halflings drops silently to the ground and starts looking, more in hope than expectation, for signs of a trail on the cold ground.

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)

Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medha Correo, Errol (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:42:51 am by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.2
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2013, 06:11:39 am »

Stay low for now. Listen to what they're saying. Should the inquisitive halfling find me, bolt up screaming to attract as much attention to myself as possible, then run toward the place we appeared in and dive behind the southern hedgerow. Should he find Bukkar, try to catch him (the halfling, that is) in a sleeper hold while he doesn't suspect much.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:44:28 am by Harry Baldman »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2013, 07:46:31 am »

Lady Foxglove discovered her newfound messenger friend has mysteriously fallen back, separating them. She sighed, ducking low in the ditch, as far as her pride would allow her.

Well, she was quite a bit tall, and was quite uncomfortable in any case hiding in a hole. She was itching to go and swindle the foolish little Gnomes, but wasn't sure what the reaction would be...that they had, apparently, marshaled an entire cavalry troupe at dead midnight within the space of a few minutes implied to her they were very dedicated to...defending empty fields?

Action: Take cover and if/when we get discovered, pop out and try to defuse hostilities by being pretty. That always works!

Otherwise listen and try to figure out who these tiny people are.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2013, 08:05:45 am »

Take cover. If we get discovered, let Adelige handle the diplomacy, unless they are hostile, in which case cast Shield I and try to steal one of their horses.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2013, 08:20:06 am »

Stay in cover. Inspect halfling patrol for loot.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2013, 08:21:14 am »

Stay in cover.  Should cover be blown, allow diplomacy to commence.  Should diplomacy fail and violence begin, Wind Blast the nearest one away from me.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2013, 10:49:56 am »

Resist temptation to berzerker rage at the halflings. If they happen to find me, punch them to death while screaming about their mothers' unspeakable dalliances. Otherwise stay in cover.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2013, 10:52:00 am »

All six actions in under five hours.  We're going to keep la in fits with this posting speed!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.3
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2013, 03:33:10 pm »

Turn Three

”They were definitely headed this way boss…”

”Hmm. Form up, men. Keep together. Thaula and Marglko, move up to the next hedgerow. Either we-”

”Boss…”

The dismounted halfling stops close to the ground he is searching, clearly having found something and clearly puzzled by six sets of faint tracks appearing from nowhere in the middle of the field. He points with his spear to signal to his captain, to the north, and starts following.

The scout gets to within a few yards of Gervedder, until now pressed low against the cold earth, when suddenly the human messenger jumps to his feet, screaming and running and screaming and choking a bit and coughing and tripping over and falling flat on his face in front of the halfling captain.

The other six mounted warriors form a loose circle round him. Looking up, Gervedder sees a circle of spears pointing down; seven round leather hatted warriors with battleaxes strapped to their backs atop steam-breathing warponies.

The captain’s got a loud and deep voice for such a short round creature.

”You’re not…”

His scout is rushing over to explain that Gervedder is not alone when an authoritative voice, clearly used to getting its way, rings out from the north.

Lady Foxglove Vainglorious III introduces herself, with Whiz and Tackov also rising from their ditch.

She comes over; the circle unfurls.

”I am Lady Foxglove Vainglorious III, and this is my messenger, Gervedder the Fool. I have come from afar. Pray, why dost thou badger my Fool?”

She must look truly wondrous in the three quarters moonlight, she realises.

...Captain Mandro of the Sneaky Guardians certainly thinks so. He dismounts.

”I... hmm... milady... My scout suspected he might be a kobold, ma'am. I'll... er, I'll have him whipped for his insolence ma'am, if it pleases you!”

”But sir the they I-”

The scout reaching the patrol, Mandro's sergeant smacks him to the ground with the butt of his spear, mouthing something violent in the coarse halfling tongue.

”You haven't seen any passing kobolds, ma'am? And er, if you forgive me for saying so ma'am-”

”I look rather wondrous in this moonlight? It perfectly suits my complexion? It-”

”Uh... no – I mean yes! I mean, well, I don't recall seeing you in Lord Nirila's court ma'am, and I'm sure I'd remember a face as wond- a face like yours, if you please...”

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)

Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medha Correo, Errol (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.3
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2013, 04:21:12 pm »

Lady Foxglove nodded as regally as she could.

Then she began speaking-every nuance of speech measured and precise, cadence perfectly balanced, every body movement planned and executed flawlessly (at least, that's how it always was in her own mind). Weaker souls often missed exactly what she was saying, nodding along and agreeing with everything she said.

Which was just how she liked it!

"...No, no Kobolds I can see here at all-lucky us! Dratted little beasts, always yip yap yarking and stealing chickens...then again, we merely just arrived, so I don't know if any are around.

And of course, you also wouldn't have seen me in Lord Nirila's court-since I and my retainers are not from this land at all!"
She said, motioning to the rest of the party, and strategically shifting her body weight from one foot to the other. Everything else shifted too, in case she didn't already have their attention.

"I am naturally a Noble and Renowned personage who has traveled here to your bountiful land by amazing means most magickal and mysterious-though of course, we could have come out at a nicer timer of day...but, magic is never entirely predictable. I do apologize for startling you and your men, though the speed of your response was nothing short of heroic...the truth is, usually I travel by a stretch carriage pulled by 16 white horses, but recent events have forced my entourage to take speedier and less sure measures.

Yes, do meet my servants here-Gervedder the Speedy Fool, Whizbang the Whiznificient, and Tacky the Blowhard. They are all useless, do not speak to them unless absolutely necessary."
She said, pointing to her companions in turn and dismissing them in the same sentence.

"The others are hiding, cowardly fools-my Salon Stylist Medha and Royal Raging Meat-shield whom no one remembers his name. They can come out anytime they like, hmm, but please don't spear them unless you have to-so expensive to rehire these days."

Lady Foxglove turned her attention more fully to the Captain.

"Anyway here I am yammering on and on! How rude of me. Captain Mandro, is it? Wonderful name. Very powerful name, like a Dragons. Do you think we could find us some place a bit more comfortable to continue this discussion? I'm sure you have more questions, and I love to talk, but it's awfully cold and dark here in this field-not to mention tactically unsound if there really are Kobolds lurking about-ooh, I'm shivering, you see? Brr! I'd love to find a place to warm myself up a bit. Maybe we could get a nice drink and a hot meal, just the two of us. Can you do that for me, Captain?" She said, strategically leaning down to him and smiling.

She finally motioned to Gervedder, hoping he wouldn't be speared too badly. She was going fond of the fool.

"Oh, and don't mind my messenger, he's harmless and a bit dim-many years of carrying heavy satchels on my behalf have slowed his wits. I might indeed whip him later, personally. I prefer the hands on touch when it comes to those things."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:26:52 pm by Dwarmin »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 118