Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303009 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2310 on: August 06, 2013, 01:09:23 am »

Well what a lot of people like to bring up Max White are differences between Laura Croft (Pre-redesign) and Bayonetta

Laura Croft isn't a sexual character but is clearly heavily sexualized. While Bayonetta is a sexual character who is sexualized as a result.

Or if you want more examples... Like the difference between Sophitia and Anna (Soul Calibur and Tekken respectively). Sophitia is a character who is driven to save her children from the soul edge's curse and is given larger and larger breasts with each game. While Anna is a spy who uses her body to get what she wants.

Anna is a sexual character whose sexualisation is part of her.

Very few male characters are sexualized in ways that go against their character. If they are made ultra-beefy it is to show their "ultra competence".
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 01:12:43 am by Neonivek »

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: August 06, 2013, 03:41:35 am »

So, those videos cost 50k a pop... nice. Thinking about becoming a feminist vlogger myself at the moment.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: August 06, 2013, 03:51:56 am »

Well you could try arguing for homosexual rights. I honestly think gays have it a lot worse off, so you might as well try and do some actual good while moral profiteering.

Then again, it might be a lot harder to tap into people white knight instincts... Kind of disappointing.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: August 06, 2013, 05:15:36 am »

Then again, it might be a lot harder to tap into people white knight instincts... Kind of disappointing.

Under the assumption that she is manipulating people somehow? That would not actually invalidate any of her points even if it were true.

So, those videos cost 50k a pop... nice. Thinking about becoming a feminist vlogger myself at the moment.

Well, she asked for (much) less but people voluntarily and of their own free will gave her more ::).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: August 06, 2013, 08:21:01 am »

God I think strawman has just become to goto for 'I don't agree with what you say so I'll make some shit up!'
No, it's the goto for "pay attention to the shit you're saying, because you certainly aren't talking to me or addressing any of the points I'm making."

When you're insistent of having an argument with yourself, instead of actually participating in the actual discussion going on, by bringing up irrelevant issues and then proceeding to attack those issues, yes, that IS a fucking strawman.

You want me go over all this again? Ok then...
NO, I DO NOT WANT YOU TO GO OVER YOUR FUCKING STRAWMAN AGAIN. I WANT YOU TO DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING, TO INDICATE YOU HAVE ACTUALLY BOTHERED TO UNDERSTAND A SINGLE WORD I SAID. MAYBE CAPS WILL HELP GET YOUR ATTENTION?

Seriously, dude, what the fuck. Just... what the fuck. You are acting like an absolutely pathetic fucking asshole. I am trying to have a conversation that actually has the potential to go somewhere, but you're too busy fighting your fucking ghosts to actually participate in it. It's like arguing with a goddamned fundamentalist over here - you're so sure that everyone else is wrong that you refuse to even talk to them. That's fucked up.

So, let me make one final stab it. If you actually try to answer my question, instead of just responding at it with a rant about your pet strawman, maybe we can have a conversation. But I'll be honest, this is my last try.

What is Anita criticizing in these videos?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: August 06, 2013, 08:32:00 am »

You seem to have an idea for the perfect response in your mind and any other answer is wrong... Fuck off.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: August 06, 2013, 09:01:03 am »

You seem to have an idea for the perfect response in your mind and any other answer is wrong... Fuck off.
Actually, that's what you're doing . . .

2-3 videos about 12 different topics comes out to an average of $5,297.40 per episode, which is pretty damn cheap for the professional production values she has for the videos, and considering that's all she has to live off of while she makes them. Please stop bringing this up as if it's a point against her.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:04:46 am by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: August 06, 2013, 09:16:52 am »

I'm asking a question and every time somebody gives what they believe to be a valid answer calling it a dick move and repeating the question? When did I do that? Point me to when I did that...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: August 06, 2013, 09:21:26 am »

Nope! I know what answer I think is correct, but I'd be willing to accept any answer as a starting point for discussion - it's sort of the foundational point of the whole fucking conversation, so if we're not on the same page on the fundamental assumptions underlying our arguments, we're going to get nowhere.

It's not like it's a hard fucking question - we can certainly disagree about what the answer is, and possibly back that up, but you haven't even fucking tried to answer it - you've just used it as an excuse to go on your rants. If you can't even give an honest answer to a simple and straightforward question, what the fuck are you hoping to accomplish here other than make yourself look irrational? Because it certainly doesn't seem to be an interchange of thoughts and ideas.

I'm asking a question and every time somebody gives what they believe to be a valid answer calling it a dick move and repeating the question? When did I do that? Point me to when I did that...

Wait... do you seriously believe you've tried to answer the question? My mind, she is boggled. Every time you've responded, you've gone of on an entirely unrelated rant. So please, I ask you to repeat yourself if you already answered it and I missed it somehow.

What is Anita criticizing in these videos?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: August 06, 2013, 09:23:55 am »

Don't have a lot of time before work, so I'll start with the fact that you were unable to accept any answer from Vector except that she hates the thread, and continually implied that she should stop posting in it. And you continued to do this after she clarified her position as if it did not exist whatsoever. The only answer you would accept was her leaving the thread.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Yannanth

« Reply #2320 on: August 06, 2013, 09:28:00 am »

This is a parody done right. Watch it all the way through. Starts out as a clever if surface-level send-up of the most common critiques of "Tropes vs Women," (factual flubs, overly-obscure reference points, etc) then morphs into... well, you'll see:

Click!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: August 06, 2013, 09:35:44 am »

This is a parody done right. Watch it all the way through. Starts out as a clever if surface-level send-up of the most common critiques of "Tropes vs Women," (factual flubs, overly-obscure reference points, etc) then morphs into... well, you'll see:

Click!

A parody where the joke is both "Men have no right to complain" and is a "take that" to everyone who criticizes Feminist Frequency in a mocking tone?

I don't know...

As a affectionate Parody of Anita's works it falls flat mostly because it tries so hard to skirt around actually parodying anything she does... But as a mean spirited parody of the criticism Anita's works receive it falls flat mostly because it is just one note and is another "I am a pathetic loser who doesn't get the point"

At least to me because I am tired of the "See how ridiculous it is that a man can complain about sexism towards men? Ha ha ha ha! That doesn't exist!" Mind you I am quite humorless.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:41:39 am by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: August 06, 2013, 09:41:09 am »

Goddamnit, Neon, I was counting on you to point out it was using bad examples. You had one job! ONE JOB!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: August 06, 2013, 09:44:28 am »

Goddamnit, Neon, I was counting on you to point out it was using bad examples. You had one job! ONE JOB!

Yeah but the thing is, I think he wasn't using bad examples as an honest parody of Anita's work but rather because it was funnier.

He is basically supposed to be a characature of people who criticize Anita and how their complaints are as sad and pathetic as he is.

Mostly I get that by the way he carries it.

Either that or he is a parody of how a male based Feminist frequency wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:46:49 am by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: August 06, 2013, 09:47:56 am »

In my experience, that pulls in a vast majority of her critics though. He's parodying the average mangry troll.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 277