Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303119 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2265 on: August 05, 2013, 11:07:28 pm »

Thats not what I said at all. By reasonable person, I mean someone who can work out that the remake is parodying the damsel in distress. It has no bearing on the correctness/incorrectness of her point on the harm of parody.
Once again, why do you assume that any male in distress is just a parody of a female?
I mean it can't be because of the prior game, OR THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN STATED. Heck does she even try to say that the male is a parody of the female?

I did not assume "any" male in distress is a parody of a female (you are putting those words in my mouth). I stated that specifically spelunky's male damsels are parodys of female damsels.

Please stop misrepresenting my arguments.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: August 05, 2013, 11:08:46 pm »

I stated that specifically spelunky's male damsels are parodys of female damsels

I always found the male damsels to be odd... Given that they are much more outright parodies then their female counterparts who are unusual but fit more easily within the setting.

Yet I attribute that to the "Only women are allowed to be hot" factor.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: August 05, 2013, 11:09:02 pm »

I've kept it isolated to the sections I know of. I am certainly not going to talk about the crux of her arguments in the third.

At one point you said something like "Unless she does something like blah and blah in the third video", which I saw while skimming, and it was something she did in fact do - that's why I brought it up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: August 05, 2013, 11:10:00 pm »

I've kept it isolated to the sections I know of. I am certainly not going to talk about the crux of her arguments in the third.

At one point you said something like "Unless she does something like blah and blah in the third video", which I saw while skimming, and it was something she did in fact do - that's why I brought it up.

She backpedaled? That is certainly one thing I did not think she would actually do.

So third video she actually FINALLY compares male and female damsels?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: August 05, 2013, 11:11:13 pm »

It wasn't backpedaling - it was covering a topic/angle you said you didn't think she'd cover. One sec...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: August 05, 2013, 11:12:23 pm »

It wasn't backpedaling - it was covering a topic/angle you said you didn't think she'd cover. One sec...

Well what I mean is... she revisited a topic she, as far as her videos are concerned, already spoke about.

I certainly didn't think she would dig that topic up.

Which is why I called it Backpedaling, because she is going back.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: August 05, 2013, 11:13:53 pm »

No, she didn't revisit a topic, she just finally got to one of the ones you've complained about her not getting to yet.

She has never compared male and female damsels unless all of a sudden she did this in the third video.

That one. She did in fact compare male and female damsels in this video, quite extensively, with examples she thought were handled well, and examples she thought were handled poorly.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: August 05, 2013, 11:14:25 pm »

That's incredibly obvious, yes. It's been your only and single argument since this thread began. You haven't done much to support it, mostly mounted your attacks based on it, but yes, that is definitely an opinion that you have there.

And this is the problem - You've taken every attempt to discredit her conclusions and logic, because you disagree with her assumptions.

This is dishonest and unproductive. You're not here for meaningful conversation, you're here to make meaningful conversation impossible with a bunch of tangential nitpicking you don't even give a fuck about, because you don't think it's a conversation people should have, on account of your disagreeing with the very basic premise of the argument. That is what we call a "dick move".
How is it dishonest to disagree with her assumptions? She would have to prove her assumptions otherwise I am well within my rights to disagree. Also, her logic following her bad assumptions is also faulty.

Anyway, once again, all together now.

~Male and female are shown to have the exact same qualities.
~We don't have a problem with the male.
~We do have a problem with the female.
THEREFOR it has nothing to do with the qualities in question, or the 'trope' as Anita calls it.

Instead, the problem is the lack of females without these qualities, so removing female characters doesn't help. Don't bother attacking the trope, nothing comes of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: August 05, 2013, 11:14:54 pm »

She has never compared male and female damsels unless all of a sudden she did this in the third video.

That one. She did in fact compare male and female damsels in this video, quite extensively, with examples she thought were handled well, and examples she thought were handled poorly.

And these were in fact male damsels right? Not male heroes right? (well ok Guybrush would count... He always needs saving in his own games)

Like Edgar from Kings Quest.

I am dragging me feet before watching these videos mostly because the first deeply disappointed me.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:16:55 pm by Neonivek »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: August 05, 2013, 11:17:47 pm »

Anyway, once again, all together now.
~Male and female are shown to have the exact same qualities.
~We don't have a problem with the male.
~We do have a problem with the female.
THEREFOR it has nothing to do with the qualities in question, or the 'trope' as Anita calls it.
Sometimes I wonder if we're speaking different languages, because I can't make heads or tales of what you're actually trying to say here.

What does this even mean? I have no clue.

And these were in fact male damsels right? Not male heroes right? (well ok Guybrush would count... He always needs saving in his own games)
Yes, actual male damsels.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: August 05, 2013, 11:19:08 pm »

Dear holy... You mean she actually uses examples... GOOD examples? And they are both good, given proper weight, and aren't misrepresented?

Now this I have to see!

Wait... lets not get excited.

Name one of the male damsels and the game.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: August 05, 2013, 11:19:17 pm »

What does this even mean? I have no clue.
It means you only hear what you want, and everything else turns to gook.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: August 05, 2013, 11:21:10 pm »

Or, possible, it means you aren't actually making a coherent argument.

I honestly get the feeling that you might still not actually know what a trope is, or what she's trying to criticize. Because only a misunderstanding of that level, as far as I could tell, could lead to that sentence making any sense at all.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: August 05, 2013, 11:21:36 pm »

Well I am going off the definition Anita provided in her older video series.

If that differs to yours I can understand why you might be confused.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: August 05, 2013, 11:22:44 pm »

Well I am going off the definition Anita provided in her older video series.

True, but her earlier videos were train wrecks... Maybe she actually improved for the third one.

I mean I hear she used actual male damsels this time and not male heros who are in danger.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 277