Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303704 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1755 on: June 05, 2013, 03:50:24 am »

What on Earth are you talking about? We're discussing the series of videos called 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games' - Not the general "Tropes vs Women". It's the entire raison detre of this thread. That shows you don't even bother reading what people are writing or talking about let alone carefully considering their arguments. I specifically quoted from Tropes Vs. Women in Video games, video #2. It's nothing to do with the comics video. That's something unrelated. Did you even read the things i quoted? It appears not.

My mistake.  Tropes Vs Women part 2 is entirely about violence against women in fiction too, so I got confused.

Other than that, nothing you wrote substantially addressed any of the points i raised in the slightest - not even obliquely. You made a comment about the 669 games study, but it really had nothing to do with the point I raised about that study, which was to illustrate just what a large number of games are released in any one year (300 in around 2012 that featured the choice of a female protagonist, something you wouldn't believe existed if you'd only watch Anita's videos) - Anita's few examples need to be judged against the total sample size - something she never make clear.

It baffles me how what you wrote even qualifies as a reply, to the point i really have nothing to add.

Pointing out that I got the wrong video was all you needed to do... what a waste of words on your part.

I thought your point about the 669-game study was that almost half of games contain female options for PCs.  I was just pointing out that, while it's nice that 45% of the games in that limited study of high-profile games had a female option, 96% of them had a male option.  It isn't *terrible*, but it's not as balanced as one might think upon reading "45% of the games featured women".

I also wanted to point out that the study (from what information I was able to find) was not a random sample of all video games released in 2012.  By presumably selecting 669 high-profile games, they were probably introducing a bias.  High profile games have more budget to spend on separate gender options.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: June 05, 2013, 03:51:00 am »

Ok that is a huuuge can of worms I didn't even realize I opened. Like a fucking dam full of worms just burst and is washing over this thread. I regret everything!

Ok ok lets put it this way.

The problem with some tropes is that they cannot be used without paying attention to the sensitivity of the material. While there are even abused wives who were happy even in their own marriage and weren't simply deluded, for example, it is important that when used not to give the impression that you are excusing spousal abuse or making this happiness seem normal.

Often you have to treat the material with the weight it carries.

By presumably selecting 669 high-profile games, they were probably introducing a bias.  High profile games have more budget to spend on separate gender options

I'd accept that bias to an extent. Since as you drop out of high-profile games you start to get really obscure titles that very few if any people actually play and have little-no impact on the popular consciousness.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:54:44 am by Neonivek »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: June 05, 2013, 04:05:34 am »

Ok well I can look at a movie like Cloud Atlus, that had a native African slave who said he enjoyed his position, and see how done well there can actually be meaning in it, but still.
If a white population is being enslaved and it is done ham-handedly, it would be offensive. If a guy is being kidnapped and rescued by a woman, it is going to need to really, really, try to cause offence.

So I guess if you do a trope badly enough, it can be offensive, but that is true for so many things I don't think it is reasonable cause to say the trope itself is bad.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: June 05, 2013, 04:12:56 am »

If a white population is being enslaved and it is done ham-handedly, it would be offensive.

Like Planet of the Apes? or Fallout?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: June 05, 2013, 04:21:19 am »

Emphasis on ham-handedly. Fallout isn't quite too ham-fisted about it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: June 05, 2013, 04:23:35 am »

Emphasis on ham-handedly. Fallout isn't quite too ham-fisted about it.

I don't know... can you get more ham-fisty then the original planet of the apes you DANG DIRTY APE!?!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: June 05, 2013, 04:24:41 am »

Sorry I forgot to add the "And is volunteering for it and enjoys it" part. I thought that had been established.
Some really good literature is about the enslavement of a population, but when it becomes about glorifying it and making it seem like said population wants and deserved captivity, it is a different story.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: June 05, 2013, 04:41:19 am »

Is there any reason i should consider Bay12 to be capable of discussing this?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: June 05, 2013, 04:42:08 am »

No, You should go ask the minecraft forum what they think.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: June 05, 2013, 04:46:04 am »

Honestly, Max. With the sexism thread and this, i doubt that "you" can go for a full page without going off topic or descending into ad hominems.
Reading a thinner book

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: June 05, 2013, 04:48:19 am »

Well don't let the door hit you on the way out then.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: June 05, 2013, 04:48:55 am »

What now, Max? You haven't been making much headway, and I'm pointing this out.
Reading a thinner book

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: June 05, 2013, 04:50:22 am »

It is an expression.
It means if you don't think we are capable of having a conversation, why are you still here?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: June 05, 2013, 04:55:19 am »

It usually means i hope the door hits you. Alright, I'll leave. Just in case, please leave my ethnicity out of this.
Reading a thinner book

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: June 05, 2013, 04:58:04 am »

Ok then.
Could you please tell me what ethnicity it is though and if there are and specific topics you don't want mentioned, and if so why? Or do you want me to pretend a group of people just don't exist...
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 277