Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303710 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1770 on: June 05, 2013, 04:59:07 am »

Ok then.
Could you please tell me what ethnicity it is though and if there are and specific topics you don't want mentioned, and if so why? Or do you want me to pretend a group of people just don't exist...

The most recent one mentioned, Max. Treat the argument as half way legitimate, please, given the quality of discourse.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: June 05, 2013, 05:00:22 am »

Ok.
Could somebody that isn't Novel explain what he is saying?

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: June 05, 2013, 05:08:17 am »

Ok.
Could somebody that isn't Novel explain what he is saying?

I assume he is saying that he doesn't want you to talk about black people and slavery
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: June 05, 2013, 05:46:21 am »

And I guess we better stay away from enslavement of whites too, for sake of all us Balkans folks.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: June 05, 2013, 06:01:35 am »

She didn't actually say fictional violence against women was fostering anything in the real world

[...]

The point of the video is not that violence against women is in fiction is inherently bad at all, but that it's treated differently than violence against men.  Men recover, and come back stronger.  Women get killed off or crippled solely to encourage male heroes to seek vengeance.

She implies it pretty heavily though. The way I interpreted the video, the point IS that violence against women is inherently bad. It is a downright terrible point, but that's what she seemed to be saying. Eh, I blame Anita for being bad at bringing her points across.

As to men recovering and coming back stronger, and women dying, I could provide some counterexamples. Boromir dies. Rufio dies. Dumbledore dies, along with many other people. Assuming that becoming a ghost does not count as "coming back stronger", Hamlet's dad dies, as does Obi-Wan Kenobi. For video game examples, your brother can die in Deus Ex 1 unless you save him. Mercury in Mirror's Edge is killed off near the end. Khalid is killed between Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. I think it's more protagonist recovers, NPCs die. Which, I suppose, is somewhat weighted against women, since the majority of protagonists are men.

Is it offensive for a book/movie/game where white people volunteer for and enjoy enslavement?
No, it is understanding what a slave is. A slave is someone who lacks a certain aspect of their autonomy. Someone who is treated well or who suffers from Stockholm syndrome could easily enjoy their enslavement. As well there is lots of fiction with volunteer enslavement and it even occurred in real life.

I think it kinda depends on how it's handled. If you have a whole slave race being all "being a slave is so cool! I'd hate to have to make decisions", and this is presented as completely fine and wholesome, with slavery being their natural place, a lot of people probably aren't going to like it. That isn't really a message that modern audiences are going to agree with. Stockholm Syndrome is usually presented differently; the audience isn't expected to accept the situation. It's not a good thing that someone has Stockholm Syndrome.

Ok ok lets put it this way.

The problem with some tropes is that they cannot be used without paying attention to the sensitivity of the material. While there are even abused wives who were happy even in their own marriage and weren't simply deluded, for example, it is important that when used not to give the impression that you are excusing spousal abuse or making this happiness seem normal.

Often you have to treat the material with the weight it carries.

Oh, I guess you already said the same thing. Never mind. :P

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: June 05, 2013, 06:08:17 am »

The way I interpreted the video, the point IS that violence against women is inherently bad.
But then, violence against people is inherently bad isn't it?
Between posting I've been running around the world of Skyrim committing mass murder against anything that doesn't either give quests or sell stuff. I don't think I'm a bad person because of it, am I?

Violence against women framed in a way that implies it is deserved because of gender is a different story.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: June 05, 2013, 06:18:31 am »

She implies it pretty heavily though. The way I interpreted the video, the point IS that violence against women is inherently bad. It is a downright terrible point, but that's what she seemed to be saying. Eh, I blame Anita for being bad at bringing her points across.

Because..

So to be clear here, the problem is not the fact that female characters die or suffer. Death touches all of our lives eventually and as such it’s often an integral part of dramatic storytelling.  To say that women could never die in stories would be absurd, but it’s important to consider the ways that women’s deaths are framed and examine how and why they’re written.

Meant the exact opposite. Oh wait...
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: June 05, 2013, 06:24:04 am »

I think the main reason you see the Damsel in Distress trope is a byproduct of two factors:

- Male Protagonist
- Heterosexual

Obviously, the "significant other" is going to be a female. It's definitely attempting to play on male nurturant / protective impulses towards females, rather than any desire to see women suffer. If there were more gay protagonists as well as female protagonists, things would naturally change, I think it's always important to ask - is the problem you've identified the core problem, or is it a symptom of some other issue. Only addressing symptoms never fixes the core problem.

---

Yeah, and i agree, male characters are killed off all the damn time, to "propel the protagonist's storyline forward".

They even have trope names for that - e.g. Mentor Occupational Hazard.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:38:22 am by Reelya »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: June 05, 2013, 06:51:34 am »

Here is the thing, if you have to say "X doesn't exist in a vacuum" you are pretty much admitting the problem isn't with X, it is with the stuff surrounding X. In this case, it isn't with the tropes, but instead the requirement of their use. As such, don't attack X, you won't solve anything, instead focus on the stuff surrounding X, in this case publishers, developers and consumers.

Erm, this is simultaneously absurd and misrepresenting the whole debate.

When the social context of an act makes that act abhorrent you avoid that act.

In this case the social context around the use of a particular plot point makes the use of that plot point sexist. So people (like Anita and myself) are saying maybe we should at least think twice before using that plot point.

As for not focusing on the stuff surrounding X, in the case of a trope the trope is it's own context. I'm still trying to find a way to phrase this that you will acknowledge, but when the social context is in no small part shaped by how a trope is used and how common it is then criticising and discussing the trope is a central aspect of changing that social context.

I would say anybody having problems or issues with a book just because a gay guy is killed off is a moron.
What, suddenly homosexuals are except from the same plot as any other character? Suddenly they are too special to die in a work of fiction? There are gays on this forum, ask them if they want some sort of mythical special treatment where as gay characters must always be unkillable, I would be surprised if they didn't find it a little patronizing.

And you have completely missed the point.

Killing gay characters off at a higher rate than straight has a historic and social context going back to the Hays code. It's still surprisingly common today. It's a trope that has harmed people in the past, through either explicit attacks on homosexuals (by showing them getting punished for their sexuality) or simply removing gay characters from the public eye by having them die out of stories. As such if you are trying to write a story that is accessible to gay people you probably want to think twice before shoving your only gay character into a fridge. At least if you are going to do it understand the context and why it is very likely to piss a lot of people off.

It's akin to having a horror film and killing off all the people of colour leaving just your white hero and heroine at the end. Sure, the story might naturally flow that way. But the historical context are going to make people view it a certain way, and you had damned well better be aware of what you are doing.

Could you explain something for me? You're saying that a trope's usage is an inherent part of the trope; that the "Damsel In Distress" trope is not only about distressed damsels, but also requires that damsels be in distress in like every other work. (This IS what you are saying, yes?) Does this imply that if the trope was used without the cultural framework, it is not actually the trope? If a game in which a lady gets into a pickle and must be rescued by the protagonist was made in a society where this was not particularly prevalent, would this count as an instance of the trope? If the trope became less popular, would it in fact cease to exist, being replaced by a different trope about women in peril but only occasionally? What would you call such a trope?

I think others have answered this somewhat, but I want to riff on it for a little bit.

The trope can't be separated from it's social context because its social context is largely created by its use, especially when looking entirely within the media. Using a damsel in distress in a video game is playing off the history and abundance of the trope. It's a shorthand that gamers will understand from the dozens of other games they have played where it's used. The individual use of the trope is shaped by the history of the trope and you can't entirely separate any single usage from the past examples.

For those who have read Dawkins, think of it as an extended phenotype. Animals shape the environment they live in even as that environment shapes the species' evolution. In the case of stories the use of tropes shape the future perceptions of those same tropes, which then change how those tropes are used, and so on ad nauseum.

Problematic tropes come about due to those social interactions with the central premise. They can stop being problematic (or become less problematic, or more) depending on how those interactions change. In the same way that beaver evolution might be shaped by how generation after generation shape their own environment with dams, the use of tropes will shape the future nature of the tropes.

The central element of the damsel in distress trope that makes it problematic in the current social context is the woman being denied agency. This is problematic due to both the general lack of female characters who have agency - or who have their agency stripped away by such tropes - in video games and the general cultural attitude that is hostile towards women who demonstrate agency in the real world.

Sure, these things are changing. The recent freak out over female bread winners had a bigger backlash against the freak out. But they are still there and underlie both the games industry and society in general.

The two parts feed off of each other. Narratives where women are assumed to be passive and dependent are more popular when they re-enforce assumptions already present in the wider world, while general attitudes are (at least partially) shaped by the narratives we use to describe and address the world around us. Making certain narratives the default or making certain narratives taboo/off limits can shift how people look at the world.

Today the assumptions about women's place in the world and general lack of female agency in common narratives are pervasive. Any re-enforcement of those assumptions and trends is problematic. It's not to say it should never be done, but doing so should be done with full awareness of what you are doing. And that means that people who are aware of the problems should talk about the problems and point them out where they see them. Which is what Anita is doing.

I think it's more obvious with the Euthanized Damsel trope, where games are playing directly into common domestic violence narratives. They are re-enforcing the stories told where women are deserving of the harm done to them. The stories that are already present and pervasive in our society, but that doesn't mean that repeating them and increasing their visibility uncritically isn't harmful. Can such events have a place in good stories? Sure. But a part of that would require being aware of the danger surrounding those narratives and addressing that in some manner in the story. Otherwise it's just a repetition of a narrative that we should be discrediting and marginalising for the harm it does.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: June 05, 2013, 07:12:12 am »

And I guess we better stay away from enslavement of whites too, for sake of all us Balkans folks.

I'm not quite that touchy. I don't want it used to death on an likely upcoming idiotic argument, that's all. If you wish to bring it up again, a little less sneery i think.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:13:55 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: June 05, 2013, 08:32:57 am »

Honestly, I think she has an argument but it seems like she half-expects you to agree with her and that words like "objectified" and "Trophy" are meant to win you over regardless of any intervening context. (For example a woman was being objectified because she was kidnapped against her will and thus her boyfriend is trying to save her furthering her objectification because she is now something to win)

Hmmm, i agree. Having rewatched the first Anita / Games video before going onto the 2nd, i noticed a few fairly major logical flaws in some of Anita's arguments. I guess you shouldn't let logic get in the way of a good hypothesis.
Spoiler: Zelda nitpicking (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Are women weaker? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:35:28 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: June 05, 2013, 09:50:49 am »

New topic: What do people think about Anita's videos blasting LEGO's attempts to reach out to girls.

http://www.feministfrequency.com/2012/01/lego-gender-part-1-lego-friends/

A question come to mind - the new girl sets are offensive...ok, but then, what was so unappealing about regular LEGO to girls in the first place? It seems to me Anita claims to want new LEGO for Girls(tm), but complains about anything these sets do differently to the regular LEGO. And she has exactly zero suggestions except "i don't like it". LEGO did actually spend millions of dollars and many years on market research to come up with this stuff, they're not a bunch of Taliban cavemen cackling as they try and regressively trick little girls into falling into old-fashioned gender-norms. One thing she complains about is that girls won't "think outside the box" of the "gendered walls" of the Girl's LEGO(tm) sets, and e.g. make a spaceship or something out of their girl LEGO. Way to go with showing faith that girls have some fucking imagination Anita! Isn't this called "victim blaming"?

God forbid - GASP - that the things in the set were what the massively expensive research discovered little girls actually like???.
Oh no - if girls / women don't like what feminists tell them to like, then the women must not know what's in their own best interests.

It makes you wonder - that sort of attitude is called misogyny when a man does it.

EDIT: Oh god, Anita goes on in the 2nd LEGO video to make some bullshit claim that over 30 years LEGO has gone from some "Gender Neutral" golden age to a "boys product", due to 30 years of gendered TV adverts etc. This is complete bullshit. When I was 5 years old with those supposedly gender-neutral sets (before the marketing she claims caused the problem was even launched), there was already a huge gender disparity in LEGO fans where I live in Australia. And we didn't even get TV adverts for LEGO. Hell, we only had 2 TV channels back then (I grew up in the country), and one of those was an ad-free government channel.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:31:35 am by Reelya »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: June 05, 2013, 10:18:16 am »

God forbid - GASP - that the things in the set were what the massively expensive research discovered little girls actually like???.
Oh no - if girls / women don't like what feminists tell them to like, then the women must not know what's in their own best interests.

It makes you wonder - that sort of attitude is called misogyny when a man does it.

I don't think any of us need the excessive bold/italics/punctuation/dashes. It makes it harder to take your post seriously when you format it like that.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: June 05, 2013, 10:21:41 am »

If you think companies spending massive amounts of money on "market research" is actual evidence of quality research or of what the target demographic actually likes, I suspect you may be a bit misinformed.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:53 am »

I could tell Anita that boys predominantly liked LEGO well before the pro-boy marketing she talks about started. Even with the "old" LEGO kits she holds up as the golden age in the late 70's. I can't recall ever having talked to a girl who liked LEGO in my schooldays, yet there were plenty of boys into it.

EDIT: According to articles, LEGO Friends is selling very well. I guess that will only piss Anita off that much more ^^.

Apparently LEGO Friends sold twice what they forecast it would, in the first year. I think that rather vindicates the research they did.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:40:07 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 277