Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303709 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1785 on: June 05, 2013, 10:42:34 am »

Women are just as tough as men. Great sound-bite. Very politically correct and I bet it plays well to the home crowd. It's just a shame it's undermined by your next video talking about what a problem domestic violence is. Make your mind up - women are either "naturally weaker" and abused by domestic violence, or they're just as strong, and don't need any protection. So let's close all those useless women's shelters. Women's shelters just send a toxic message that women are weak and need support.

I will try to get back to the rest later when I have time, but please first confirm that this is just a sick joke.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:02 am »

It's Anita who can't make her mind up on the issue. I really have no opinion one way or the other. I was commenting rather on how some feminists tend to flip-flop on some basic concepts depending on whether it's convenient for their current argument they're making. "women are just as strong as men" or "men are only stronger than women on average" when it suits the argument, and "the man in the relationship is almost always stronger - thus domestic violence" when it suits a different argument.

Of course i was joking about closing shelters - they're a necessity, i was making a dark joke about how the idea that women are just as powerful as men (anita's "not a weaker gender") seems to contradict that they need to be protected in any special way, shape or form - as the prevalence of domestic violence would, you know, actually indicate.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:00:25 am by Reelya »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: June 05, 2013, 10:56:55 am »

I was commenting rather on how some feminists tend to flip-flop on some basic concepts depending on whether it's convenient for their current argument they're making. "women are just as strong as men" or "men are only stronger than women on average" when it suits the argument, and "the man in the relationship is almost always stronger - thus domestic violence" when it suits a different argument.

This whole thing requires you to believe that domestic violence is about being weaker than the abuser and that it is that is the root of the problem. As opposed to, say, economic dependence or social pressure for the abused to stand by their abuser combined with toxic ideas of masculinity.

In other words, it's only a contradiction if you have a very narrow and outdated (and frankly sexist and ignorant) view of domestic violence. Someone who is aware of the actual issues around the topic would never see a contradiction here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: June 05, 2013, 11:03:22 am »

So you actually believe males and females are of 100% equal physical strength and it's barbaric to claim otherwise. Well we can do away with female sports and blend them into the male ones since it;s a myth, right?

I contend that females as a whole actually are physically weaker on average than males. And this plays a part in the directionality of violence. It seems to be in denial of basically physical reality to claim otherwise.

I know, I know it's not "PC" to acknowledge this. But it is fucking true, you know??

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: June 05, 2013, 11:03:35 am »

That's not necessarily flip-flopping, depending on the context. If the question is a message that states that 'women are weak and therefore always need protecting', then objecting to that message is fair. If women believe that they are weak and can do nothing, they won't even try despite the fact that in many situations they're fully capable of taking care of themselves. It's mental handicapping.

When you're talking about the realities of the relative strengths between men and women, however, most men are objectively stronger than women (and more likely to be physically violent). Which makes domestic abuse a serious issue.

The combined message should be that a) Women are stronger than they think, and should defend themselves and their children from abusive situations and leave those situations. They do NOT need the abusive man and can in fact make it on their own, even if they initially need some help. b) Men should recognize that being physically stronger does not make it ok to abuse women, and a message that abuse is OK should be avoided.

Whether or not this holistic message is conveyed properly is, I think, often the issue that feminists often have. Stating just one piece and then the other without tying them together is what gives it a bad mixed-message vibe.

PPE: Ninja'd. But I think make statements are still worthwhile.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: June 05, 2013, 11:07:39 am »

But that's not what Anita said. Whilst i can appreciate what you have to say, I was critiquing the specific statements as made by Anita.

@Paslch:

As for abuse, there are those studies from the UK that show males and females are fairly likely to strike their spouse. But males are more likely to cause damage. That's clearly a "strength" related thing. The data showed about 40% of domestic violence victims in the UK were male. I'd posit that if women were just as strong as men, that'd shift to 50/50, since right now a few women who don't hit their partner likely refrain since the male is stronger than they are. The similar frequency of male vs female victims makes it clear that things escalate due to strength, and not on the whole from some "gender privilege" where perps believe they're entitled to it due to gender - probably the male abusers escalate and continue primarily because they cannot be challenged by their partner physically. I find this more believable - that people in general are abusive, rather than either gender.

This is born out when you realize that the rate of domestic violence is quite similar in the gay and lesbian communities to the straight community.
Try and spin lesbian wife bashers as "gendered violence" whilst claiming straight women are never the aggressor. It would be quite illogical, right?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: There's also this kind of report
GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Women are more likely than men to stalk, attack and psychologically abuse their partners, according to a University of Florida study that finds college women have a new view of the dating scene.

“We’re seeing women in relationships acting differently nowadays than we have in the past,” said Angela Gover, a UF criminologist who led the research. “The nature of criminality has been changing for females, and this change is reflected in intimate relationships as well.”

In a survey of 2,500 students at UF and the University of South Carolina between August and December 2005, more than a quarter (29 percent) reported physically assaulting their dates and 22 percent reported being the victims of attacks during the past year. Thirty-two percent of women reported being the perpetrators of this violence, compared with 24 percent of men. The students took selected liberal arts and sciences courses. Forty percent were men and 60 percent were women, reflecting the gender composition of these classes.

In a separate survey of 1,490 UF students, one quarter (25 percent) said they had been stalked during the past year and 7 percent reported engaging in stalking, of whom a majority (58 percent) were female.

Although women were the predominant abusers, they still made up the largest number of victims in both surveys, accounting for 70 percent of those being stalked, for example.

The reason more college men weren’t victims may be that women in the study did not exclusively date them, preferring men who had already graduated, not yet enrolled in college or chose not to attend college at all, Gover said. “It shows that students who are perpetrating these attacks aren’t just targeting other students on campus,” she said.

It also is possible that some of the physical attacks women claim they are responsible for are actually acts of self-defense, Gover added. “Maybe some of these women have been abused by their partner for some time and they’re finally fighting back,” she said.

^ Ah, here we have it, if a male is abused by a female then clearly "he deserved it", this is not only socially acceptable, it's almost socially non-acceptable not to say it. Though it's an utterance which would by wholly abhorrent, should one reverse the genders to justify male->female violence. From other studies you wouldn't believe the range of things that normal people believe it's acceptable for a woman to beat a man over, including infidelity. Infidelity - basically the idea that your partner "owns" you. Unacceptable for the man to complain, yet women - they're allowed to act as if they own the man and can inflict corporal punishment for disobedience.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:54:01 am by Reelya »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: June 05, 2013, 11:08:58 am »

I know, that's why I pointed out that the lack of connection is a common problem when people bring up these points.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: June 05, 2013, 12:02:49 pm »

The trope can't be separated from it's social context because its social context is largely created by its use, especially when looking entirely within the media. Using a damsel in distress in a video game is playing off the history and abundance of the trope. It's a shorthand that gamers will understand from the dozens of other games they have played where it's used. The individual use of the trope is shaped by the history of the trope and you can't entirely separate any single usage from the past examples.

For those who have read Dawkins, think of it as an extended phenotype. Animals shape the environment they live in even as that environment shapes the species' evolution. In the case of stories the use of tropes shape the future perceptions of those same tropes, which then change how those tropes are used, and so on ad nauseum.

Problematic tropes come about due to those social interactions with the central premise. They can stop being problematic (or become less problematic, or more) depending on how those interactions change. In the same way that beaver evolution might be shaped by how generation after generation shape their own environment with dams, the use of tropes will shape the future nature of the tropes.

The central element of the damsel in distress trope that makes it problematic in the current social context is the woman being denied agency. This is problematic due to both the general lack of female characters who have agency - or who have their agency stripped away by such tropes - in video games and the general cultural attitude that is hostile towards women who demonstrate agency in the real world.

Sure, these things are changing. The recent freak out over female bread winners had a bigger backlash against the freak out. But they are still there and underlie both the games industry and society in general.

The two parts feed off of each other. Narratives where women are assumed to be passive and dependent are more popular when they re-enforce assumptions already present in the wider world, while general attitudes are (at least partially) shaped by the narratives we use to describe and address the world around us. Making certain narratives the default or making certain narratives taboo/off limits can shift how people look at the world.

Today the assumptions about women's place in the world and general lack of female agency in common narratives are pervasive. Any re-enforcement of those assumptions and trends is problematic. It's not to say it should never be done, but doing so should be done with full awareness of what you are doing. And that means that people who are aware of the problems should talk about the problems and point them out where they see them. Which is what Anita is doing.

You seem to be saying that damsel-in-distress plots work by referencing other damsel-in-distress plots to let the player know what's going on. I believe this is incorrect. The plots might reference each other, but that's not the only thing they have going. While the trope might certainly be overused, it is also an entirely legitimate plot device that can stand on its own.

To clarify, you don't need to know the previous examples to understand the plot. That's kind of what references are about; you are building off a whole lot of prior stuff, and need that prior stuff to deliver your message. But with distressed damsels, you could find yourself a kid who's never played a video game, watched TV or perused any work of fiction at all, tell him that "The princess has been kidnapped! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the princess?" and he would get it. He doesn't need to know how many times before the same story has been told. Kidnapping is bad and rescuing is good and that is why you need to stomp on those goombas. Once you accept that abducting a person without a pressing reason is morally questionable, the whole rest of the plot follows. It only became a "trope" in the first place because it works.

As to whether the narratives in video games affect how people percieve the real world, I don't know. Maybe? I don't think it's a problem as long as there are other kind of narratives as well. Men sometimes lose their agency, a phrase I refuse to use without italics, but other times they're single-handedly changing the fate of entire worlds. Get some more female protagonists going.

I think it's more obvious with the Euthanized Damsel trope, where games are playing directly into common domestic violence narratives. They are re-enforcing the stories told where women are deserving of the harm done to them. The stories that are already present and pervasive in our society, but that doesn't mean that repeating them and increasing their visibility uncritically isn't harmful. Can such events have a place in good stories? Sure. But a part of that would require being aware of the danger surrounding those narratives and addressing that in some manner in the story. Otherwise it's just a repetition of a narrative that we should be discrediting and marginalising for the harm it does.

Are they really domestic violence narratives? I don't think they are. You're not hitting a woman because she's annoying, you're hitting her because she's an enemy. That's what you do with enemies. You kill them. This might be perceived as a problem, I guess, but it's certainly not a gender problem. In any game, you're usually killing enemies by the hundreds. In the real world, they would be people. If it's okay to kill them, what's wrong with gunning down a brainwashed girlfriend every now and then? It's not as if any of them really deserve death. ::)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: June 05, 2013, 12:14:56 pm »

I just read that palsch quote now:

They are re-enforcing the stories told where women are deserving of the harm done to them. The stories that are already present and pervasive in our society

Where are the stories prevalent? I certainly never read them. I can find you an arm's length lists of quotes of people, mainly women, saying "he deserved it" for male victims of female assault, even, - and this is the amazing part - the person writing the comment hasn't met either of them or knows anything about their situation. Even in cases when the male was specifically stated not to have abused the female in any material way shape or form (the comments that men deserve physical beatings for infidelity). And not only that, feminists can push this "male victims deserved it" line in articles on domestic abuse, without getting called out on it. Amazing, huh?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:37:08 pm by Reelya »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1794 on: June 05, 2013, 12:20:52 pm »

It's really looking less like you're arguing against Palsch and more like you're bringing up bad arguments from elsewhere and striking them down so you can look good.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: June 05, 2013, 12:22:50 pm »

I'm directly addressing his point. That bit in quotes is something palsch wrote. How am I "bringing up bad arguments from elsewhere"? How can arguing against an exact quote be a strawman?

He's claiming certain narratives are all-pervasive in society. I'm disputing that, and showing that a counter-narrative is actually prevalent and widely accepted. The one he claims is "prevalent" is actually widely reviled, to the point of being unutterable. Soadreqm provided the more complete quote right above my post. I'll repeat it here for completeness with the timestamp to show that i did not, in any way, take it out of context:

I think it's more obvious with the Euthanized Damsel trope, where games are playing directly into common domestic violence narratives. They are re-enforcing the stories told where women are deserving of the harm done to them. The stories that are already present and pervasive in our society, but that doesn't mean that repeating them and increasing their visibility uncritically isn't harmful. Can such events have a place in good stories? Sure. But a part of that would require being aware of the danger surrounding those narratives and addressing that in some manner in the story. Otherwise it's just a repetition of a narrative that we should be discrediting and marginalising for the harm it does.
As you can see, he basically rephrased the same concept several different ways, so i can hardly be said to have taken that out of context. He made it clear via repetition and rewording, that he meant exactly what i responded to.

Unless you can elucidate exactly how i misrepresented palsch's position?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:42:08 pm by Reelya »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: June 05, 2013, 01:40:54 pm »

Reelya, you have completely ignored my point and in doing so revealed why you don't accept a lot of what Anita and I have said.

Here is the core of it;

This whole thing requires you to believe that domestic violence is about being weaker than the abuser and that it is that is the root of the problem. As opposed to, say, economic dependence or social pressure for the abused to stand by their abuser combined with toxic ideas of masculinity.

Reducing domestic violence to a question of who would win in a fight is ignoring the things that make it actually harmful. If it were a matter of a strong man beating up a weak woman it would be bad, but not anything like the problem it actually is.

Domestic violence is about a power imbalance and abuse within a relationship. Physical abuse is horrific but secondary to this. It is a problem because people can't escape. They can't escape for family reasons, for economic reasons and for social reasons. The first two should be fairly obvious. The last one is where Anita's argument is focused. Because those social reasons are what these sorts of narratives re-enforce. It's these narratives that lead people to believe they deserve what is happening to them. That they would be in the wrong if they left. That they would be shunned by others if they reported the crimes.

Where are the stories prevalent? I certainly never read them.

In common books and films (hell, try Twilight for starters). In the games that Anita used as examples. In courtrooms.

In real life. In workplaces. In homes.

When I talk about narratives I don't just mean media sources. I mean the stories that people tell themselves and others to understand what is happening in the world. We like to relate events to stories we know and understand to help get a handle on them, especially if we don't have the details to comprehend the situation on its own. Putting aside these stories is hard, even if you recognise you are using them.

There is a good example in the Hunter link. They are breaking down the narratives used in courtrooms to describe domestic violence incidents;
It goes on and is a worthwhile read. In particular point 7 which I want to focus on for now;
(7) Social and legal stories about domestic violence tend rather to deny, minimise and trivialise violence than to regard it as a serious issue. There is a degree of ambivalence in social attitudes towards violence, in that while it is abhorred in the abstract, individual claims to victimhood tend to be treated with suspicion.
Even when people understand that domestic violence exists and is abhorrent they are unlikely to translate that to a situation in front of them. A lot of the time this is because it doesn't fit their own mental model of what such abuse should look like, often because that model is itself unrealistic along the lines of the points in the extended spoiler. Even once you have accepted that the violence has occurred there are whole range of excuses and reasons for it that the mind instantly brings up, fitting the abuser into a more or less acceptable narrative that is familiar and understood (even if it's utter bullshit).

And once again this comes back to choosing not to re-enforce the narratives that are behind such attitudes. Promoting media that reflect progressive or simply accurate models of domestic abuse and violence is important, as is calling out media and arguments that push outdated, regressive, apologetic and inaccurate models.

It is true that attitudes are shifting, but they are far from as far progressed as you have suggested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: June 05, 2013, 01:43:48 pm »

Honestly, I think she has an argument but it seems like she half-expects you to agree with her and that words like "objectified" and "Trophy" are meant to win you over regardless of any intervening context. (For example a woman was being objectified because she was kidnapped against her will and thus her boyfriend is trying to save her furthering her objectification because she is now something to win)

Hmmm, i agree. Having rewatched the first Anita / Games video before going onto the 2nd, i noticed a few fairly major logical flaws in some of Anita's arguments. I guess you shouldn't let logic get in the way of a good hypothesis.

I disagree.  They must not have thought the game would succeed with a Krystal as the main character, otherwise they wouldn't have worked for two years to remake it into a mere sequel.  They didn't scrap all that work on a whim, they did it because they thought the Damsel In Distress trope would sell their game better.  Tying in with Star Fox may also have been a real factor, but not the primary one - they could have linked the series without utterly destroying Krystal's agency, but didn't.

As for the trope "saving" her from deletion, let me quote Lillith from Borderlands: "Better dead than a damsel". 

The subject/object thing is an oversimplification, as she stated.  The villain isn't an object, but an active source of obstacles in the hero's journey.  Supporting NPCs aren't objects, they're fellow protagonists.  Minions aren't objects, they're incompetent antagonists like the villain.  The objects the hero acts on can be tools, self-doubts, magical macguffins, or NPCs that exist to be saved.

If the hero saves a defenseless village from a horde of orcs, that village is an object being acted upon.  If heroes in video games constantly had to save villages from such threats, we'd have a trope that villages are helpless and require saving.  And we do, though since it isn't a problem since it's mostly limited to fantasy-setting RPGs.

So the PCs (Mario and Luigi) are the subject.  The level, pits, powerups, and Peach are all objects they act upon or use.  The enemies are antagonists who try to stop them.

Spoiler: Zelda nitpicking (click to show/hide)

True, that wasn't really fair.
However the point was to show contrast to her earlier role as Pirate Captain Tetra.  She had agency earlier in the same game, and had it taken away for no particular reason - except to set her up for kidnapping.  Much like Krystal's eventual fate hurts more because she was originally an actual protagonist, it's particularly hard to see an adventurous Zelda ordered to stay home in her princess clothes because the outside world is too dangerous.  Especially since she actually obeys, and then gets captured in stereotypical princess fashion.

Also, Sheik moved around a lot in Ocarina of Time.  An active character, instead of a damsel.

Spoiler: Are women weaker? (click to show/hide)

Woah woah woah - domestic violence is not just about an entire gender having a slightly higher average strength than the other.  There's way too much variance.  Domestic abuse is not about one partner being stronger than the other, we live in a world of tools.  It's about destroying someone emotionally so they won't fight back.  Our culture, with its depictions of women as servile AND weak, perpetuates domestic violence.  (Women victims feel like they should bear it, male victims feel ashamed that a mere woman is hurting them)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: June 05, 2013, 01:49:51 pm »

They must not have thought the game would succeed with a Krystal as the main character, otherwise they wouldn't have worked for two years to remake it into a mere sequel.  They didn't scrap all that work on a whim, they did it because they thought the Damsel In Distress trope would sell their game better.  Tying in with Star Fox may also have been a real factor, but not the primary one - they could have linked the series without utterly destroying Krystal's agency, but didn't

They specifically said why they did it. Mainly that they wanted the Star Fox selling power behind it.

The level, pits, powerups, and Peach are all objects they act upon or use.  The enemies are antagonists who try to stop them.

You are using your metaphors incorrectly right here. Since "Antagonist" is plot and "Peach is an object" is metaplot.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:51:36 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: June 05, 2013, 02:44:36 pm »

Honestly, I think she has an argument but it seems like she half-expects you to agree with her and that words like "objectified" and "Trophy" are meant to win you over regardless of any intervening context. (For example a woman was being objectified because she was kidnapped against her will and thus her boyfriend is trying to save her furthering her objectification because she is now something to win)

Hmmm, i agree. Having rewatched the first Anita / Games video before going onto the 2nd, i noticed a few fairly major logical flaws in some of Anita's arguments. I guess you shouldn't let logic get in the way of a good hypothesis.

I disagree.  They must not have thought the game would succeed with a Krystal as the main character, otherwise they wouldn't have worked for two years to remake it into a mere sequel.  They didn't scrap all that work on a whim, they did it because they thought the Damsel In Distress trope would sell their game better.  Tying in with Star Fox may also have been a real factor, but not the primary one - they could have linked the series without utterly destroying Krystal's agency, but didn't.

My point is that regardless of the thought process that caused it - it's specifically not what Anita claimed. Doesn't matter what else it was. Anita was wrong because her conclusion doesn't logically follow from the premises she provided. It doesn't matter at all whether I agree with ALL her conclusions. Her logic in "getting there" is irreparably flawed. She working backwards from conclusion to premise, and logic be damned as long as it's a "close enough" fit using emotional language rather than a sound argument.

"They must not have thought the game would succeed with a Krystal as the main character" - nothing to do with the Damsel trope. The key thing was putting Fox McCloud as the protagonist to turn it into a Star Fox game. The damsel trope was only an ass-pull to salvage some of the design work. If you jury-rig a structure with Duct Tape, you don't claim the resulting structure is "because" of the Duct Tape.

"Tying in with Star Fox may also have been a real factor, but not the primary one". Well it's the only one Anita cites, any more is pure speculation. As it was clearly Anita's understanding that's been conveyed to us by her video, then she's still wrong in her link from premise to conclusion, you can't save Anita by saying "yes, but if she'd told us a different premise, she'd have been right!", that's just shifting the goalposts, and she's still "wrong" in the sense of presenting a logical argument then, YOU might have presented a stronger argument, Anita did not. Although it feels like your grasping at straws to justify the fairly improbably tale of Anita's that the "damsel" trope was the direct cause of the cancellation of Krystal's game. The Damsel trope may be 1000 types of problematic, but I'm not buying that it CAUSED Krystal's game to get canned.

It feels like your position is that being politically correct gives one Carte Blanche to present wishy-washy arguments that only "sort of" justify their conclusions, as long as they "sound good" and match the theme of the essay. And then other people are free to retcon Anita's premises in the face of any scrutiny, and she's "still right" even if the premise is unrecognizable from what she said. My view is that wishy-washy logic actually harms your cause as much as it promotes it.

Anyway I never said she was "better off" as a damsel or deleted, i just said her fate was 100% incidental to the changeover, not the driving mechanism, which is what Anita implies without explaining how it does so.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:18:04 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 277