Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303214 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1500 on: May 29, 2013, 10:57:22 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What irritates me most about her is her insistence that "the men only come to get the women because they want to give her the dick." Not even in detail is this explained, it's as superficial as that. She doesn't talk about how game developers try to invest the player into the relationships the characters share, or why female characters need a special aegis over male characters, or why characters already in a relationship shouldn't go rescue those close to them [because it would be sexist objectification], despite for some of the examples she had given that sexual objectification would have to be between family members and so on.

Her videos are all puritanical rants and an example of how to analyze subjects in the most shallow, skin-deep way possible. She makes no attempt to understand the underlying issues that cause the problem nor does she tackle the task of how they can be improved, she turns the problem of the gaming industry in its inability to experiment and make new risks into an issue of gender.

The renaissance was a movement that improved art and liberated it from many social stigmas, new materials and methods became readily available and were in the most part implemented with great success but the themes continued to be few in number; mainly portraits and representations of ideas associated with Christianity. Video games in a way are a similar reflection and technology has all improved the creativity, but the themes and story telling remain stale, with the majority of the 300,000 games being copies of the successful darers.
She feeds off this fact but twists it to match her perspective and what she intends to portray dishonestly, and she makes no effort to improve the medium, only point out cliches and say "men did this."

This all reminds me of Crying Freeman in which the husband and wife make a pact not to save each other if they get in trouble, for they believed that if they truly love one another, they would want their loved one not to risk their life for their sake and would rather die than for that to happen. Generally in a character driven story, you would expect loved ones to come for one another. She says that a character who loses everything is on a journey to recover their masculinity because they are a man, not that he is trying to rediscover his lost worth. A man is out to acquire something so trivial as an object - be willing to kill and die for an object, because he is a man, while she completely misses the actual point of why he holds such importance. A man wouldn't want his wife to suffer just because she has to be a strong independent woman and get out of it herself, because even if he was weaker than her - she is still worth risking his life for. That is what it is about, finding someone you hold higher than the world, because they have become your world, and defending it to all your ability. This is a universal romantic notion.

I like playing a girl, and I like the damsel in distress trope. It's not like guys are defecating on the corpses of women or disregarding them at all, the girls are important enough to risk their life for. It's a tragic experience when a girl dies, the male characters are usually horrified when they die; yet none of this is exclusive to female characters.
She talks of the kinesthetic violence orientated games, completely oblivious of just how the violence doesn't stand on its own - it factors into the setting and the characters themselves. The characters who are famous for their rage like Kratos and Asura are questioned along the entire journey of their story, "What do you live for?"
Treat your characters as people, and enjoy media.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 29, 2013, 11:50:44 am »

Thank you, Loud Whispers, for putting into words what I could not.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: May 29, 2013, 12:19:14 pm »

Eh, maybe I do not relate to the main character as well as many other people with these damsel in distress games and similar in other media... 
But yea, the first thing that comes to mind is normally: "Oh hey, the girl/character/NPC I don't care about is getting kidnapped/fridged."

Maybe it is cause the 'damsels' have no... 'worthwhile character' to begin with?  Having nil significance to the player.  Just there as a simple motivator for the in-game character?  Even if the game has scenes with the main character thinking back on the damsel... they are still of no significance to me as the player.

Well, I don't pick up these sorts of games often...  So I'm not the target audience.

It might mean something if it was a significant member of my party and not done in a bullshit way?  Come to think of it... there are really no games that have a way for your minions/characters to get captured and later busted out or freed...
>.>  Jagged Alliance II has the closest thing to that...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: May 29, 2013, 12:26:13 pm »

In Chrono Trigger, the main character (male) is kidnapped and locked in prison, and Lucca (the girl) comes and rescues you if you fail to escape on your own. (And still arrives in the nick of time to save the day even if you manage that)

Of course, the main character there is still the dude, but I did like the inversion. And in fact, you end up rescued by the girls several times throughout the course of the game (in addition to rescuing them a few times as well), and every character, male and female, is quite capable of taking care of themselves.

It was very very refreshing, and it's a damned shame games that awesome can't be more common.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: May 29, 2013, 12:45:44 pm »

Baldur's Gate II does it twice. Right after the tutorial dungeon, your sister Imoen gets sent to Wizard Jail along with the main antagonist, for being a wizard. You bust her out halfway through the game. Later, your love interest (if you have one) will get abducted and turned into a vampire, and you have to kill him/her and haul the body to be raised.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1505 on: May 29, 2013, 02:18:48 pm »

Thank you, Loud Whispers, for putting into words what I could not.
The pleasure's mine, I'm rather thankful that Anita at least triggered me into hours of most excellent research.

[Games are art. Nuff said].

Seriously though, so many games have so many stories in them, and about them. GTA has apparently always been a British satire of America as seen through the eyes of a Russian immigrant. The more you know.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: May 29, 2013, 02:27:01 pm »

Niko is ex-Yugoslavian >:(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1507 on: May 29, 2013, 02:32:36 pm »

Niko is ex-Yugoslavian >:(
In my defence, I haven't played GTA at length, I only know most of it through cultural osmosis.

[Please don't kill me former Yugoslavians]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: May 29, 2013, 02:33:51 pm »

I think you need to worry more about the current Yugoslavians.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1509 on: May 29, 2013, 03:05:32 pm »

I think you need to worry more about the current Yugoslavians.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Chairs?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: May 29, 2013, 03:09:58 pm »

Rather, sorry: The Bosnian in this thread.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1511 on: May 29, 2013, 03:42:01 pm »

I never knew you were Bosnian!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: May 29, 2013, 03:46:53 pm »

I will admit I thought about making a parody game where you play an EXTREMELY stereotypical princess.

Where you have to save yourself after you have been kidnapped (after being trapped) by only using very stereotypically princess things like Cooking, cleaning, and singing.

But the problem with me is that I take everything far too seriously and after a while I actually liked the concept... but not as a Parody but rather as an unlikely hero using what they know to solve a problem.

To the point where I kind of would like the play that game done seriously.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:24:53 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: May 29, 2013, 04:33:19 pm »

I never knew you were Bosnian!

... I'm not... DJ is.

Wow, that was needlessly complicated >_>

I was going to say this, actually.  There is a semi-counterpart to the damsel in distress in woman-oriented media--the Grieving Knight, who just needs someone to love him and help him be less broken.  People often read Vegeta (DBZ), Garrus (ME; heck, it was even lampshaded), Vincent Valentine and Cloud Strife (FFVII), Lancelot (in all the Arthur stories post-French grafting), pretty much the entire cast of Naruto, Snake (Metal Gear), Sherlock Holmes (pretty much every representation), Claude Frollo (Hunchback of Notre Dame; again, all representations) and ... a whole bunch of other stuff that way.  Just look at which characters tend to get the most fanfiction written about them.  Almost all the time, it will be such a character.

How do you feel about it?  Genuine question.  See, I think it doesn't bother people because there's other things to their characterization than "I need help," which is why the Damsel in Distress thing is such a problem.  They don't have to be reduced to plot coupons, but they are.

I'm not talking about in games like Mario.  I'm talking more about stuff like Bioshock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: May 29, 2013, 04:34:49 pm »

Well it isn't sort of the same thing in that...

The Damsel (which once again I think is now adays a unisex trope) loses their agency.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 277