Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303506 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1410 on: May 29, 2013, 03:14:31 am »

Why do I click your spoilers, Soli?
That third image almost made me throw up before I realized I was looking at shell clothing rather than some horrific mutant. Give a guy a chance, like I don't know, spoiler tags!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 29, 2013, 03:22:20 am »

Don't shoot the messenger... and welcome to the wonderful world of Bioware, I suppose. (Shellfish Elf is exceedingly ridiculous, and I cannot imagine that being pleasant attire at all down there. Blegh...)

Anyway, I liked this as an example, and think we could structure some of this discussion around it to help us distance ourselves from our preconceptions:

Assuming that this square represents the Video Game Industry, and the Green in the corner represents the number of games with Non-Objectified Female Characters, what do Red and Yellow represent? And why is it a bad thing for there to be more Green, when there is a clear and present demand for it?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:23:51 am by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: May 29, 2013, 03:22:58 am »

@DJ

Let's see, of the fictional media there we have...

NCIS, The Big Bang Theory, Castle, and Criminal Minds.  Yup.  Those are all dude-oriented.  I've only seen half of them, but I can tell you that BBT and Castle are definitely marketed towards men.  The former specifically trades on making misogynistic and racist "jokes."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: May 29, 2013, 03:24:15 am »

Largely because I see this:

And I say: "That square is mostly red and yellow."

And people respond with:

1) "No, there is red."
2) "No, there is yellow."
3) "No, you're totally wrong. There's green in the lower right."

Yes, there is red. Yes, there is yellow. Yes, there is some green in the lower right. But I don't understand why you people disagree with the statement that it's mostly red and yellow.

We're saying there's a shortage of yellow.  You're saying that there is some yellow.  We're insisting that there is a SHORTAGE of yellow.  You blame us for making do with red :P

Edit: Actually that's not right, you keep saying that there's plenty of yellow.  There really isn't.  We CERTAINLY aren't disagreeing that most things are sexist or not sexist.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:28:40 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: May 29, 2013, 03:28:21 am »

What exactly would be a woman-focused or a gender neutral show? Bonus points if you describe it without using any of the women stereotypes you hate so much.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: May 29, 2013, 03:32:17 am »

Well lets say Red is games oriented towards males. There is nothing wrong with these games. Yellow is games that are non-gender specific, such as optional gender games or games that do not include gender. Still nothing wrong. Green is games oriented towards women. Nothing wrong with these sorts of games either!

So what is the problem? Well the problem isn't the existence of any of these three colors, it is the distribution. We could certainly wind back on red a little, and perhaps we would have less generic FPS cover based shooters that look like brown. At the same time, some more green would be great!
We can pretty safely say there is a market for green, on the basis that women are people, and people fucking love their media. We have books, tv shows and movies directed at women, and some of them are even good! Ok so some of them are Twilight, that is ok, some male oriented stuff is pure shit too! Point is, games are really engaging things because they are interactive, they plug into the reward center of our brain and feel good. Women are sure to like games if they are well make and marketed.

What exactly would be a woman-focused or a gender neutral show? Bonus points if you describe it without using any of the women stereotypes you hate so much.
Crap, I wish I watched more tv for women...
I know Charmed was really popular. I have vaguely heard about it, and it sounded kind of crappy. Still, anybody with first hand knowledge know if it is actually good?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: May 29, 2013, 03:34:03 am »

For the crime shows, how about if the teams had 1-2 token males instead of females?  Doesn't count if they dress in leather and work for the token male.
Are there even any crime shows starring a woman detective?  If there are, and they're unpopular, isn't that an indication that the general public is prejudiced against smart women leads?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 29, 2013, 03:35:07 am »

Bones starred a woman detective and was popular. Actually it was pretty good.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: May 29, 2013, 03:35:43 am »

As an aside, am I the only one who finds this language charged with subtle scorn?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: May 29, 2013, 03:36:11 am »

I haven't seen Bones in quite a while, but wasn't the guy there basically a sidekick to the girl and a comic relief character?

And Solifuge, you might be seeing it because it's there.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: May 29, 2013, 03:37:03 am »

Yea, so?
I don't have a problem with that. He was a cool guy.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: May 29, 2013, 03:37:45 am »

So, he supposedly doesn't exist.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: May 29, 2013, 03:39:19 am »

I don't follow you. Could you expand on your point?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: May 29, 2013, 03:40:35 am »

Rolan was just saying how there's no female leads in crime shows, they're always relegated to sidekicks for the male leads.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: May 29, 2013, 03:41:42 am »

Ooh.
No that is wrong. Actually Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries was also a kick ass series!
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 277